View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Dolphins Rewind: Can Phins improve on Oakland Win? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins Rewind: Can Phins improve on Oakland Win?
Quote:

The defense got off the field on third downs (Oakland converted 2-of-9), and that’s with Karlos Dansby playing a limited role because of his left wrist injury. Dansby entering the game only in the nickel and dime package (usually on third downs). His replacement, Tim Dobbins led the team with six tackles in his 20 or so plays, which made him highly efficient per snap.

The starting safeties – Yeremiah Bell (interception and fumble recovery) and Chris Clemons (interception) - produced three turnovers. Would have been four if Clemons had pulled down that deep ball Jacoby Ford stole from his hands.

While I admire Richie Incognito’s hustle, it’s obvious that the Dolphins’ starting left guard takes forever on his pulls to the right. As a result, he’s usually creating a traffic jam instead of making a second-level block. It’s not my place, but I’m certain Incognito would be better served playing right guard or center (Dolphins clearly need an upgrade) in the near future. But considering Incognito only signed a one-year deal this nomadic offensive lineman might be moving on after this season….

Sticking with the offensive line, left tackle Jake Long is playing mostly on toughness and guts. Some of his pass blocks were extremely unorthodox because of his injured left shoulder, but it got the job done.

Right tackle Vernon Carey opened the hole on Williams’ 45-yard touchdown run, but he had a hot and cold day on the field.
Carey’s clearly playing in pain because of his troublesome knee issue, but it would probably help if he dropped 20 or 30 pounds….

Rookie right guard John Jerry allowed the game’s third sack because of poor footwork. Jerry, the team’s third-round pick, had one very good pull during the game, but the rest of his performance was lackluster. I’m starting to wonder if the coaching staff is seeing the progress they hoped would come with a continued investment in the rookie. He’s a decent pass blocker, but is lacking when it comes to the run game…..

Speaking of the run game, I consistently wonder why the Dolphins don’t do more delayed hand offs and draws out of the shotgun? Then I noticed that Tyler Thigpen’s package featured it. I know Henne doesn’t like the shutgun, but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be used in it. This kind of rigid approach handcuffs the offense….

Clap it up for Lex Hilliard, who not only contributed a handful of impressive blocks as a fullback, but he provided the bone jarring block that opened up the crease that allowed Davone Bess to reserve field on his 47-yard punt return. I’ve long been critical of Lousaka Polite’s lead blocking, and I wonder if Hilliard might be an upgrade…..

Some people want to call Channing Crowder out for not recording a tackle against the Raiders, but keep in mind it was Crowder who aligned the entire defense properly in his 20-something plays, orchestrating a performance that held Oakland to 17-yards rushing. On plenty of plays Crowder took the fullback head-on (doing his responsibility) which allowed Dobbins or Bell to come up and make the stop. Give respect where it’s due folks. Crowder didn’t make any tackle, but don’t act like he missed any either….

Cornerback Sean Smith has been steady in coverage since regaining his starting spot, but Smith must learn to form tackle better,

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:32 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Dolphins Rewind: Can Phins improve on Oakland Win?
Quote:
Some people want to call Channing Crowder out for not recording a tackle against the Raiders, but keep in mind it was Crowder who aligned the entire defense properly in his 20-something plays, orchestrating a performance that held Oakland to 17-yards rushing. On plenty of plays Crowder took the fullback head-on (doing his responsibility) which allowed Dobbins or Bell to come up and make the stop. Give respect where it’s due folks. Crowder didn’t make any tackle, but don’t act like he missed any either….

Sorry but when a FB takes you out of the game, you have no game. If Crowder was blowing up the FB in the backfield and disrupting the play I'd give him a break. He was Mr. Inviso out there Sunday. The guy needs to step up his game. Miami's defense is 6th overall and most everyone is doing a pretty solid job. Crowder needs to anticipate better, shed the block and make the tackle. High school stuff. :boo:

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Clevelands defense is equally as bad against the pass as it is the run. Their entire team is centered around a very physical running game. If Miami shuts that down, Cleveland shouldn't even score. However in the past, Miami has struggled more against physical running attacks like Baltimores more than they have the AP's and McFadden's of the world. Given Miami's offense can't put another team away to save its life, the game probably will be close again going into the 4th quarter.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:49 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Omar as usual, making every excuse in the book for his favorite players. Vernon Careys bad kne, Vernon Careys bad knee, gotta laugh. I imagine this time of year ALL of the offensive lineman have some sort of nagging injury.

I do agree on John Jerry though, the kid has been way less then spectacular. Personally on the Oline I would like to see Incognito as the starting center and leave him there. He could go back to his mauling days and has become good at pass blocking. They could use Garner at LG and find a RG and use Jerry as a backup. That, IMO, would be a kick asssss offensive line. Read an article, forget where, but it was on the NFC East that Incognito has been drawing the interest of more then a few teams. Jake, jake is strong and will be fine. The C position and RG and RT are the positions that concern me the most. I know Carey is a local yokal guy but we have to start making plans for replacing him or call him in and force him to lose some weight. Its been more then obvious this year the extra weight is killing the kid.

The only one not resigned for next season on the Oline is Incognito. We also need some better backups IMO. Its scary that even the team does not want to use Lydon Murtha, even when its clear that Jake was hurting. I think Berger would make a great C.G backup. Personally, I see a bright future for this Oline. I know many complain only this or that on YPC but lets be honest, up until Sun game at the Raiders, defenses did not have any respect for Henne going too far downfield. They could play us with both corners up and stack 8 in the box. People fail realize thats how teams have been playing us. You are not going to get much yardage running the ball that way when your OC runs three running plays then gives up for 20 plays to the pass then throws a wildcat in and a running play here and there. We can run against 8 in the box and we proved it Sun. Just have to stay with it and do not abandon it. Sooner or later you pop a big one.

Last year Penningtons accuracy had the respect of the Ds and when Henne came in, nobody really knew that much about him. Those two factors alone kept the running lanes far more open then they have been this year.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]