View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Chad Pennington wants to stay 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Chad Pennington wants to stay
I'm glad his rehab is going well, but I don't know if the coaches will keep him around.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/footb ... 61816.html

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:34 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Chad Pennington wants to stay
Quote:
Pennington, who underwent his most recent shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum on Oct. 1, must prove strong enough to make some of the most difficult throws in football. Specifically, the team wants to see Pennington make a 15-yard out route before the end of February, one source said.

Such a route calls for the wide receiver to run 15 yards and make a 90-degree cut toward the far sideline. It is a dangerous pass that requires power and distance - two qualities that were not often Pennington's strong suits.

Sounds like we're setting him up for failure..

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:37 am
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Quote:
The veteran has decided to make it his priority to stay with the Dolphins, even if it means backing up quarterback Chad Henne, two sources said this week. The Dolphins are willing to entertain the possibility under some circumstances.

:yay:

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:16 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Are we going to carry 4 QBs?

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:21 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

if he did come back ,he has to e a back up imo
then i guess we keep white as #3 and try to trade thigpen i guess???

i would rather let penn depart and w e try and develop white and thigpen

but teams do like a vet leader or backup ,

i just cant see us keeping 4 qb`s

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:30 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I would love him as a QB coach but that probably wouldn't happen.

Last edited by 19GonnaCsonkaYa73 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:49 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dolfanrar wrote:

If Penninton is willing to be the backup, switch White to waterboy and keep Thigpen as the 3rd QB.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:00 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Dolfanrar wrote:

If Penninton is willing to be the backup, switch White to waterboy and keep Thigpen as the 3rd QB.
Or we could ship White to Philadelphia for a 6th. Where he'd take over for the dog killer.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:14 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

19GonnaCsonkaYa73 wrote:
I would love him as a QB coach but that probably wouldn't happen.

I agree... I wish I could put his heart and leadership on every football player.

I don't want him to leave, the Jets made that mistake, lets not make the same one.

I would give him 1 year as a back up and then ask him to stay in the franchise as a QB's coach or you name it.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:27 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
Dolfanrar wrote:

Very good option. I hate to give up on Thigpen. Pat White is just a failed project. Time to cut our losses.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:29 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Best thing that could happen for us is Pennington returning for another year. Even though I would make it a real open area, I would put Henne in is the starter if he is even close to Pennington. Then we have Thigpen and Pennington fight it out for #2.

Pat White will then have to man up in a real QB competition. He can try to make it as the 3rd QB but when/if he is beaten out he will hopefully see he needs to make it as a WR etc. If he does not see it then I hope our coaching staff has the balls to tell him to switch or be cut.

He can still come in and play "whatever" even as listed as a WR/PR although I think that Thigpen can do a better job as a Wildcat/Spread QB.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

It is clear that Henne would not publicly protest if the Dolphins brought Pennington back. The question is whether it makes sense.

The Dolphins like Tyler Thigpen, bit it's not really about that. The question is whether you want Henne looking over his shoulder.

But most of those QBs also said that the most important thing for Henne is taking leadership of the team.

Can he do that with Pennington here?

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_se ... l+Blogs%29

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:54 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The Hen wrote:
Quote:
The veteran has decided to make it his priority to stay with the Dolphins, even if it means backing up quarterback Chad Henne, two sources said this week. The Dolphins are willing to entertain the possibility under some circumstances.

Wow. Hmmm. I don't know if I like this idea. A couple bad games from Henne and we'll have a full blown QB controversy on our hands, and Henne definitely doesn't need that. I'd like to have a clear #1 and a clear #2 and if Pennington came back that line will be a little too blurry for my liking.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:50 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Not to turn this into another Pat White thread .. but I think that as a QB, Pat White is a bust; as a project/multiple position type offensive player, he can still develop into something, the question is how long do we let him take up a roster spot to grow and learn NFL football.

Thigpen is too valuable as a backup to let go, he is young and has proven his capabilities, Penny is older and has a torn up shoulder. I just wish we could keep him around for his leadership alone.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:02 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

GERIDROPA wrote:
The Hen wrote:
Quote:

Wow. Hmmm. I don't know if I like this idea. A couple bad games from Henne and we'll have a full blown QB controversy on our hands, and Henne definitely doesn't need that. I'd like to have a clear #1 and a clear #2 and if Pennington came back that line will be a little too blurry for my liking.

Many have already fell in love with Thigpen, so if Henne has a few bad games I wouldn't be surprised at all (because this is Miami) if we start hearing about Thigpen. I, for one, love Henne and see a very bright future ahead, even if he does hit some bumps on the way.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:04 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:

that would be the best solution. If he can throw the ball this needs to happen.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Get rid of White....awful pick...way too far off the mark to imagine he will ever be an NFL QB.

Pennington can stay....as a 3rd QB and mentor. He is probably only gonna' be around for one more season. Keep Thigpen. The guy is young and talented....and unlike most Miami QB's of late, he has mobility.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:58 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

This crap is getting silly.

As is the very thought that we should/would trade Thigpen.

Competition is a good thing.

Having "too many" capable QBs is a very good thing. How often in our history have we had that "problem"?

And injuries do happen.

I'm a "run the ball" kind of guy and even I have to admit that this is a QB driven NFL now.

If Henne cannot beat out Pennington then we and Henne have problems. Thigpen and Pennington should then fight for the #2 spot although I really want Thigpen to get the reps at number two. Chad Pennington is so much a solid veteran that IMO he could come of the bench if really needed and run the offense without practice reps and without imploding.

I'd offer him a sweet 2-3 year deal as a back up QB/QB coach. He is no Culpepper and will work as a true teammate to see that Henne, Thigpen and White improve. And I'd add incentives to his contract if they do improve from his working with them.

As I've already stated, I'm pretty sure that Pat White would come in 4th in a real QB competition. He only was able to take the 3rd spot last year because we only had 3 QBs in camp.

But this could be the best thing to happen to him and us. He and we get to see if he can really play QB in the NFL and if he needs to move to WR etc and also to see IF he can play another position. I've never heard of him even trying to run a route, catch a pass or return a kick.

And one big thing to get here is that is he could be listed as a MLB and still come in as a QB whenever we needed him to.

I still think that Thigpen is the much better Wildcat or spread QB. As as we know that Thigpen can play a little WR it only adds to our options if we run the Wildcat with Ronnie as triggerman and as Thigpen at WR. But also having White as a real threat at WR would also push open a few more trick play options.

Or this could give us a Wildcat formation with Thigpen as triggerman, Ronnie as the sweep back and White as the WR/QB. This could really open it up in many ways.

A little bit of logical thought and planning here could give us a good, capable and stable group of QBs for a number of years.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:23 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think out of our four QBs, White is the weakest link. I doubt he'd make it through a QB competition with the other three, so I'd give him a chance at WR. If he can't make it there, then off he goes.
I do like the fact we appear to be deep at QB - finally!!!!

Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:32 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Another thread where everyone claims Pat White is a "failed project" after 1 season of limited playing time...

Holy crap man talk about giving a guy no chance to prove anything... did he even get in on 50 plays this year??

I'd take Pennington back as a coach but nothing more... his shoulder has got to be shot by now and we have 3 young guys at the position who we should focus on.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:00 am

Quote:
FORT LAUDERDALE — With one month remaining until the start of free agency, Chad Pennington said Thursday he’s still wavering between the prospect of returning to the Dolphins — even if it’s in a backup role — and looking to go elsewhere as a starter.

“Sometimes, wherever the starting opportunity is, that’s where I want to go,” he said. “And sometimes I wake up and go, ‘You know, it’s what’s best for me and my family, and where I enjoy going to work.’

“This is 10 years for me, and I want to enjoy every day of it,” he continued, “and want to be in a place where we have a chance to win and contribute and be of value. All of us want to be valued wherever we work. So I’ve got all kinds of little voices in my head every day. It’s gonna be a tough decision, and that’s why right now I want to focus on the rehab and let the rest take care of itself.”

Pennington, who underwent surgery Oct. 2 to repair a torn capsule and labrum in his shoulder, said his rehab has gone well and he’ll visit Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., on Feb. 15 in hopes of being cleared to throw.

“Free agency starts on March 5, so that was my goal all along, to be ready for free agency in case I needed to work out, in case a team needs me to throw to see my progress,” he said. “I’m right where I need to be to reach that goal; to be able to go out and throw and work out, I think I can do that.”

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano has admitted to having a fondness for Pennington in the time they’ve worked together, and Pennington spoke as if he could handle serving as a backup to Chad Henne if that’s the way things worked out.

“There’s always a need for a good quarterback in this league, and always a need for leadership,” he said. “And you don’t have to lead from a starter’s role.

“I’ll look at the different opportunities, and want to make sure it’s best for me as a player, and also best for my family.”

While it’s been assumed the starting job has now transferred from Pennington to Henne, Sparano has made no definitive statements regarding his starter for 2010, prompting speculation that Pennington might still be in the mix.

Pennington admitted there were times following his injury in the Dolphins’ game Sept. 27 at San Diego that he wonder if his career might be over at age 33.

“I was totally deflated, to say the least,” he said. “All those thoughts went through my mind for quite some time, until I was able to have the surgery and kind of get a realistic outlook. When (Dr. Andrews) had the positive outlook I was able to set my sights on my rehab, and what I needed to do to come back.

“I was fortunate not to have any rotator cuff damage; it was merely a separation and capsule repair. So the rehab has been smoother than the first two times (he had surgery).”

If it turned out the Dolphins aren’t interested, Pennington said he’d be open to “all comers” — even the New England Patriots if they were to call.

“The opportunity to play in this league, there’s only 1,800 of us. I want to take advantage of any opportunity.”

He said he will continue to use the Dolphins’ facilities, at least until his contract expires.

“I’m under contract through March 4 so I can use their facilities until they say, ‘Hey, get outta here.’ So I would be dumb not to.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... -dolphins/

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:08 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Henne likes and respects CP, so does coach and many of the other players.
To me it would be a win/win situation for him to come back.
With his skills, leadership and patience, what would be the problem?
He's a team guy all the way. He would only benefit Henne.
How many other qb's would go to the defense and encourage them during games.
I've never seen any kind of negative attitude from him, no matter what the situation.
IMO, he brings more pluses than negatives and could end up being just what we need to get this team together and win some games.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote: If Penninton is willing to be the backup, switch White to waterboy and keep Thigpen as the 3rd QB.

:) :) That was pretty darn funny! I could actually see Pat White running water bottles out on the field!

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]