View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 OT: could be the steal of this draft (2011) 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post OT: could be the steal of this draft (2011)
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... aepernick/

Quote:
“Everybody is questioning me, wants to know, can I do it,” he said Tuesday. “So this week I really want to show I’m capable of making my reads, dropping back and seeing the defense.”

Kaepernick, who stands 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, certainly is backing up his words this week. Sports Illustrated draft analyst Tony Pauline said that through two days of practice, Kaepernick has been by far the most impressive quarterback, better even than Washington’s Jake Locker. The Dolphins, in need of a quarterback, have interviewed Kaepernick, and a league source said the team thinks very highly of him.

Pauline said Kaepernick is “really helping himself” this week and has a chance to shoot past Locker on draft boards and get drafted in the second round, likely after Blaine Gabbert, Newton and Ryan Mallett are off the board.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:12 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: could be the steal of this draft
He's going to intrigue a lot of people because of his athletic ability. But, to me, his arm is mediocre, accuracy OK, touch on deep passes lacking, pocket presence lacking, release too slow, and decision making a huge ? given the offense he ran at Nevada.

Came into his bowl game against BC with some intrigue, and left with none.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:15 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Kid has a RIFLE arm. And has been.. very accurate so far through the Senior Bowl practices.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:30 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm not sure if he is worth #15 value. I get wary of quarterbacks that seem to get it during Senior Bowl week, but were not as dynamic during games during the season. I am definitely not an expert when it comes to analyzing college players, so, I like to look at what they did against good competition.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Big Dave wrote:
I'm not sure if he is worth #15 value. I get wary of quarterbacks that seem to get it during Senior Bowl week, but were not as dynamic during games during the season. I am definitely not an expert when it comes to analyzing college players, so, I like to look at what they did against good competition.

Dave, I am quite sure no one is pushing for him to be taken in the 1st round. He will probably go somewhere in the 4th-5th round.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 am

Big Dave wrote:

i was thinking more about trading back from 15 and taking this kid with an added 2nd rounder, or move up from our 3rd rounder into the 2nd round to get him. He'll probably get drafted late 2nd round like Henne did.

He's got some "gamer" to him. Did you guys watch him against Boise? What a comeback. i think this team needs a dual threat at QB

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:06 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

i was thinking more about trading back from 15 and taking this kid with an added 2nd rounder, or move up from our 3rd rounder into the 2nd round to get him. He'll probably get drafted late 2nd round like Henne did.

He's got some "gamer" to him. Did you guys watch him against Boise? What a comeback. i think this team needs a dual threat at QB

Yeah, I watched him. Not that good.

4th round at the highest. I'll say he goes 6th or undrafted. He's Nate Davis with less media coverage.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:27 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If he's sitting there in the 5th or 6th round and we've not taken a quarterback yet, then I'm not opposed to the idea of us drafting a project. Only problem is he'll likely sit on the bench for a long time and he may never leave it. Personally I'd rather see us take someone much higher in the draft like a Ryan Mallett if we're going to use our 1st or a Christian Ponder if we're going to use our 3rd.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:27 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:

Major over draft on him if you take him in Rd. 2. Don't let a good week move a kid up that far. He is rated at a late Rd. pick. A good week might get him moved up a Rd, but not that far.

Rd. 4 at best, but would rather get him in the 5th.

Qb generally go early ( 1st / 2nd ) or late ( 5th / 6th / 7th )

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:02 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Would love to grab this guy in a later round.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:40 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

onlygators wrote:
Would love to grab this guy in a later round.

Me too Adam. Though his stock is going up. I think he is off the board in the 3rd. Or possibly earlier depending on his combine results.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:01 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

hypocritex wrote:
Me too Adam. Though his stock is going up. I think he is off the board in the 3rd. Or possibly earlier depending on his combine results.

Oh...you still exist? :fart:

Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:37 am

One scout tells the Sacramento Bee that Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick "might have made the most money of any Senior Bowl player this week."
Kaepernick has dispelled notions that he may be just a running QB with a strong arm but no touch. His accuracy and "delicacy" have been better than expected to go along with ideal size. If the playoff performances of Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger signal that the NFL is headed toward QBs that can buy time and make plays with their feet, Kaepernick stands to benefit as much as any draft prospect.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Kaepernick has dispelled notions that he may be just a running QB with a strong arm but no touch. His accuracy and "delicacy" have been better than expected

Pat White?

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:35 pm

After watching him play this week, I'll admit that I was wrong about the arm strength. He definitely has a gun. Similar to Henne's.

He is still a huge project though.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:05 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
After watching him play this week, I'll admit that I was wrong about the arm strength. He definitely has a gun. Similar to Henne's.

Could be worth a late rounder though. Continue to build the O-line with our 1st or 3rd, add a playmaker and take a project late.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:32 pm

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Could be worth a late rounder though. Continue to build the O-line with our 1st or 3rd, add a playmaker and take a project late.

He won't get past the 2nd round PZ. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks into the first round.

If somebody was stupid enough to spend a 1st on Tebow, somebody will pull the trigger on Kaepernick, who is twice the QB Tebow is or ever will be.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
If somebody was stupid enough to spend a 1st on Tebow, somebody will pull the trigger on Kaepernick

Josh McDaniels and Cam Cameron have been stripped of their duties of drafting.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
If somebody was stupid enough to spend a 1st on Tebow, somebody will pull the trigger on Kaepernick

Josh McDaniels and Cam Cameron have been stripped of their duties of drafting.

Ah yes, but there is still this man by the name of Al Davis....

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:54 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

He won't get past the 2nd round PZ. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks into the first round.

If somebody was stupid enough to spend a 1st on Tebow, somebody will pull the trigger on Kaepernick, who is twice the QB Tebow is or ever will be.

Are you looking to die??? Say that to the biggest Tebow fan there is lol.... Tebow is a lot better than he gets credit for and he's by far the most determined athlete on that field every sunday... bite your tongue you.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:45 pm
The Bottlenose
The Bottlenose

Can we go ahead and yank the "steal" and "sleeper" labels off Kaepernick? Safe to say after Mobile, and after no less than 789 articles about what a riser he is, the cat is out of the bag. Oh, and Kaepernick is faster than Tebow strapped to a 757.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:

Yeah. Stupid move to draft a franchise QB who is going to wind up bringing that team to the playoffs for many, many years to come...if it can find a defense. Stop listening to Kiper and McShay who fueled the "Tebow will fail" machine for six months last year. Did you watch him play this year - as a rookie in the first season he's had to re-work his game?

Guy had 11 TDs and started only three games (but played in four others). He passed for four touchdowns in the three games he started, single-handedly beat Houston, almost single-handedly beat San Diego and rushed for 78 and 94 yards in two of three games.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:27 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The Bottlenose wrote:
Can we go ahead and yank the "steal" and "sleeper" labels off Kaepernick? Safe to say after Mobile, and after no less than 789 articles about what a riser he is, the cat is out of the bag. Oh, and Kaepernick is faster than Tebow strapped to a 757.

The Cutler comparisons to his 2006 Senior Bowl week and rising stock are beginning to surface in articles. Not sure it will drive him to a near top 10 pick, but yeah, everyone is talking the kid up. He'd be a steal if he fell to the middle rounds, someone grabbed him, and he ends up being a solid starter.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:32 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I understand where the intrest comes from. The answer is ANDY DALTON. The most accurate QB in the draft by far. A winner, has a thing about him. Accuracy= Brady, Rodgers. Kapernick has potential. Dalton, Dalton, Dalton!!!

Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:08 pm

onlygators wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Yeah. Stupid move to draft a franchise QB who is going to wind up bringing that team to the playoffs for many, many years to come...if it can find a defense. Stop listening to Kiper and McShay who fueled the "Tebow will fail" machine for six months last year. Did you watch him play this year - as a rookie in the first season he's had to re-work his game?

Guy had 11 TDs and started only three games (but played in four others). He passed for four touchdowns in the three games he started, single-handedly beat Houston, almost single-handedly beat San Diego and rushed for 78 and 94 yards in two of three games.

I don't listen to Kiper or McShay...ever. If anything I take what they say and then formulate an opinion on the opposite end of things.

Once teams have tape on Tebow, he'll be shut down.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

dunner31 wrote:
I understand where the intrest comes from. The answer is ANDY DALTON. The most accurate QB in the draft by far. A winner, has a thing about him. Accuracy= Brady, Rodgers. Kapernick has potential. Dalton, Dalton, Dalton!!!

I'm sensing a Phins Rock/Matt Ryan series of postings for the next few months.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:39 pm

jammer wrote:
dunner31 wrote:

I'm sensing a Phins Rock/Matt Ryan series of postings for the next few months.

:)

I came into the Sr. Bowl week with a little bit of intrigue on Dalton, but his performance this week has been horrific.

He's got mediocre accuracy at best, an average arm, and does not look comfortable in the pocket. The stage looks to big for him to be honest.

He's got a very limited ceiling, IMO, and might have reached it at TCU.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Phins Rock wrote:

I will respectfully disagree... Tebow will be as dynamic as Vick, if not more... but successful.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I will respectfully disagree... Tebow will be as dynamic as Vick, if not more... but successful.

Yikes.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:22 pm
The Bottlenose
The Bottlenose

[/quote]Tebow will be as dynamic as Vick, if not more... but successful.[/quote]

What flavor is the Tebow Kool-Aid?

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:28 pm
Profile WWW

Hey man you guys can hate all you want... least I got it in writing when it comes true.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:14 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I hope someone is dumb enough to spend a 1st round pick on this kid, and I hope they pick before we do. With all of the negative talk surrounding Ryan Mallett right now it isn't impossible that he could fall to us at #15. If Mallett is there I hope we pull the trigger.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:10 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Kaepernick has dispelled notions that he may be just a running QB with a strong arm but no touch. His accuracy and "delicacy" have been better than expected

Pat White?

Not even in the SAME ballpark. Kaepernick is faster. Stronger ALL AROUND. WAY Bigger. WAY more accurate.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:24 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:

Sigh. Same thing said about every QB who has success early. Teams had three years of tape on Tebow.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:49 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

IamPZ wrote:

As dynamic as Vick? Not sure I agree with that and I'm a huge Tebow supporter. He'll be as effective though, that's for sure.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:50 pm

the Bottlenose, Hypocritix and myself thought this kid could be a real player back then. He looked polished tonite.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:32 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Kaepernick has a laser arm and turbo cleats. If he completely figures out the NFL game, he will be scary good. We could be seeing the end of Alex Smith here.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:22 am

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Kaepernick has a laser arm and turbo cleats. If he completely figures out the NFL game, he will be scary good. We could be seeing the end of Alex Smith here.

How about Alex Smith?
:hithead:

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:22 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FINesse wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:

How about Alex Smith?
:hithead:

He'll end up holding a clipboard, either in San Fran or somewhere else.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:55 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: OT: could be the steal of this draft (2011)
He looked good last night, it's one game though.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next