View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 Giants release Antonio Peirce 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Giants release Antonio Peirce
He had an injury ridden 2009 but he is a qb on D. What do you guys think about us going after him?

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/11/pierce- ... eased-him/

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:41 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Giants release Antonio Peirce
No thanks... not a fan of his at all.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

A qb on D? The guy is dumber than Crowder...and that's saying a lot.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:50 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble. As much as I dislike the things Crowder said about the Porter situation. But IMHO, Crowder is one of the smartest guys on the team.. How football smart he is... is another story.

I still think Crowder can thrive in our Defense if he moves over to Ayodele's spot and we plug a stud in where he's at. IE: McClain or someone else along those lines. Relying on a guy who isn't very good at taking angles to be our go to run stopper.. isn't very wise. Hence, YB being the leading tackler.. again.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

hypocritex wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble. As much as I dislike the things Crowder said about the Porter situation. But IMHO, Crowder is one of the smartest guys on the team.. How football smart he is... is another story.

I still think Crowder can thrive in our Defense if he moves over to Ayodele's spot and we plug a stud in where he's at. IE: McClain or someone else along those lines. Relying on a guy who isn't very good at taking angles to be our go to run stopper.. isn't very wise. Hence, YB being the leading tackler.. again.

Are we talking about the same guy? Channing Crowder? The guy who has run his mouth and not done anything special since coming into the league. Channing Crowder, the guy that doesn't know where or what London is. Channing Crowder, the guy that got his long locks grabbed onto and his head punched in. Channing Crowder, the guy who is consistently out of place...

I don't care what sort of smart you're talking about, Crowder is not it. If anything, that's the only thing you can say for sure about the guy is that he's dumb.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:44 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Are we talking about the same guy? Channing Crowder? The guy who has run his mouth and not done anything special since coming into the league. Channing Crowder, the guy that doesn't know where or what London is. Channing Crowder, the guy that got his long locks grabbed onto and his head punched in. Channing Crowder, the guy who is consistently out of place...

I don't care what sort of smart you're talking about, Crowder is not it. If anything, that's the only thing you can say for sure about the guy is that he's dumb.

we need a smilie of a guy clapping. I would use it right now.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:54 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Just because a guy runs his mouth.. Does not make him an idiot. Maybe unwise. But, not unintelligent by any means. The other things you mentioned have nothing to do with his intelligence.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

hypocritex wrote:
Just because a guy runs his mouth.. Does not make him an idiot. Maybe unwise. But, not unintelligent by any means. The other things you mentioned have nothing to do with his intelligence.

Well what evidence do you have of him being smart, let alone the smartest on the team? What is intelligence to you? Because I thought knowing things showed whether or not you were smart, and not knowing where London is would be a characteristic of someone that is unintelligent.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:21 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Crowder is in London right now looking for Mr. Fletcher's house.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:27 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Iowafin wrote:
hypocritex wrote:

Well what evidence do you have of him being smart, let alone the smartest on the team? What is intelligence to you? Because I thought knowing things showed whether or not you were smart, and not knowing where London is would be a characteristic of someone that is unintelligent.

I'm pretty sure Crowder was being tongue in cheek with those comments. He does it all the time.

That being said, he is no Rhodes scholar.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
hypocritex wrote:

I'm pretty sure Crowder was being tongue in cheek with those comments. He does it all the time.

That being said, he is no Rhodes scholar.

Just sayin' that the only evidence I've got of Crowder's intelligence is he is not very bright, let alone the brightest on a team

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:44 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

hypocritex wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Hey stop drinking the cool aid. I've known jocks in high school that were way worse than challanged and made the National Honor Society. Earth to everybody who thinks HS athletes earned their grades. Gotta kept them on the field right? Get real.... Dumb is as dumb does.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:37 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:

LOL. Have you been waiting for the right opportunity to say that?

:)

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:42 am
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
FINesse wrote:

LOL. Have you been waiting for the right opportunity to say that?

:)

Yeah , I had a huge yellow post it note on my monitor for almost 2 years now. Im glad that I can finally see my whole monitor again.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:49 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

MTFan wrote:

we need a smilie of a guy clapping. I would use it right now.

:bravo2:

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:49 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I am just saying though if we can get Pierce for cheap, i think it would be a good move. You cannot say that Akin is better than Pierce. Hopefully though, no one will pick him up before the draft so then we can see if we really need him at that point.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:40 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

PADOLFAN wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Hey stop drinking the cool aid. I've known jocks in high school that were way worse than challanged and made the National Honor Society. Earth to everybody who thinks HS athletes earned their grades. Gotta kept them on the field right? Get real.... Dumb is as dumb does.

Wow. There are exceptions out there, sure but this is an unfair generalization. My son plays college baseball and most of you would probably be amazed if you sat and did his homework with him even back when he was in high school. Most HS athletes do earn their grades and there are those who realize an education is more important than sports.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:31 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I think that I would take a chance on Pierce because he can be a solid player, but I highly doubt that Parcells will take a chance on him

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:53 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Was this article about Antonio Pierce or Channing Crowder?

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:16 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Finhead wrote:
Was this article about Antonio Pierce or Channing Crowder?

just the natural flow of things when we start talking about Crowders position

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

3-4 defense would allow a guy like Pierce and Crowder to be on the field together. I would have thought the topic title would call for people's opinions about whether or not Pierce could be a viable option for Miami to consider.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Pass.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:00 am
Profile WWW

Pierce is a good football player and a good leader on D. That said, he does not fit the mold of a 34 ILB size wise.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Pierce is a good football player and a good leader on D. That said, he does not fit the mold of a 34 ILB size wise.

You and your size mantras.

How does Pierce not fit the mold?
Larry Foote, ILB, Lions (formerly Steelers) 6'1" 240
Lawrence Timmons, ILB, Steelers 6'1" 234
Bart Scott, ILB, NYJ 6'2" 240
Stephen Cooper, ILB, Chargers 6'1" 235
Brandon Siler, ILB, Chargers 6'2" 237
Nick Barnett, ILB, Packer, 6'2" 236

Antonio Pierce, 6'1" 238

You're right...he's just not the right size. Get over the size thing...because even if he were "too small" or "too big" we've seen lots of guys succeed even though they were ripped for their size or lack thereof.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Most of the guys you named play on fast defenses....Despite Nolan being here, our ILB's will still almost solely be run stuffers, so they should be bigger than most ILB's. 238 won't get it done in out system.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Most of the guys you named play on fast defenses....Despite Nolan being here, our ILB's will still almost solely be run stuffers, so they should be bigger than most ILB's. 238 won't get it done in out system.

They play on fast defenses because they have fast players.....
I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Regardless, I'll show you ILB's that played for Nolan's defense

Wesley Woodyard, ILB, Broncos 6'0" 222
DJ Williams, ILB, Broncos 6'1" 242
Patrick WIllis, ILB, 49ers, 6'1" 240
and Bart Scott which I listed above.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:26 pm

They have fast players because they fit the bill of their schemes.

SD, GB, NYJ, Pitt...all those teams are fast, aggresive D's that play react-to-the-ball type of football. Their ILB's are not pure run stuffers like ours.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:28 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Regardless, I'll show you ILB's that played for Nolan's defense

Wesley Woodyard, ILB, Broncos 6'0" 222
DJ Williams, ILB, Broncos 6'1" 242
Patrick WIllis, ILB, 49ers, 6'1" 240
and Bart Scott which I listed above.

Like I said, despite Nolan coming, our ILB's will still fit the mold of run stuffers more so than fly around type of playmakers.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
They have fast players because they fit the bill of their schemes.

SD, GB, NYJ, Pitt...all those teams are fast, aggresive D's that play react-to-the-ball type of football. Their ILB's are not pure run stuffers like ours.

You must be confused. A 3-4 defense is designed to allow that "playmaking" type of ability from your linebackers.

Those teams are fast and aggressive because they have players that can do that. Miami has guys that are slow and terrible, and why this defense is slow and terrible.

I agree Pierce is not he man, but it has nothing to do with his size.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:33 pm

He'd be lost on the inside trying to fight off blockers, even more so than Akin, IMO.

We'll agree to dis-agree, but Rex Ryan, Dick Labeau, Dom Capers, and Ron Rivera are all guys that like to run that type of D....again, you get players that fit your scheme, and that's why those teams got those players.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
He'd be lost on the inside trying to fight off blockers, even more so than Akin, IMO.

We'll agree to dis-agree, but Rex Ryan, Dick Labeau, Dom Capers, and Ron Rivera are all guys that like to run that type of D....again, you get players that fit your scheme, and that's why those teams got those players.

:hithead:
Exactly, Nolan wants to bring in guys to fit his "scheme", but every 3-4 team in the league has an ILB that is the same size give or take a few pounds as Pierce except for Miami.
Ayodele, Torbor and Crowder were getting sucked up into run blockers not because of their size, but because the NT was non existent.

In fact, you could even argue they couldn't get off blocks because they weren't quick enough.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:43 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I'm not gonna lie, I just fell asleep reading this page of the thread

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:11 pm

MTFan wrote:
I'm not gonna lie, I just fell asleep reading this page of the thread

I'm glad to hear that our argument was so riveting. :ann0y: