View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:46 am



Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity 
Author Message
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 477
Post Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Never saw this article posted on the old forum either... but this is from DraftNasty.com and is written by former NFL safety Corey Chavous, who is a pretty good judge of talent:

Quote:
The NFL Draft is full of inspiring stories each year. Baltimore Ravens nose tackle Haloti Ngata’s triumphant rise to first round status in 2006 after losing both parents the year prior. Carolina’s Steve Smith returned from a broken back to become a third round steal for the Panthers in 2001. In 2009, the Cincinnati Bengals discovered a gem in the sixth round out of Abilene Christian by the name of Bernard Scott. This after numerous arrests and school transfers during a tumultuous collegiate career. Bengals fans have probably been more than inspired by his considerable contributions as both a return man and backup running back.

But what happens when you go undrafted? In the case of Miami Dolphins receiver Davone Bess, that was the story after he decided to enter the draft in 2008. After recording a jaw dropping figure of 41 touchdown receptions in three years at the University of Hawaii, the 5'10" 193 lb. receiver decided to leave school after his junior campaign. A major part of his draft day snub revolved around some off field issues (spent over a year in juvenile detention center while in high school) and pedestrian speed (clocked as high as 4.70 in the forty yard dash at the 2008 Indianapolis combine).

After a rookie season in which he caught 54 passes, which were the second most ever by an undrafted rookie receiver, Bess got off to a similar pace in 2009. With forty receptions over the last eight contests, Bess outpaced Miami's #2 receiver by 26 receptions. This included a 10 reception, 117 yard effort versus the New England Patriots in Week 13. Will he develop into a 100 catch guy for the Dolphins in the next couple of seasons?

When you consider that Bess had more receptions than these heralded wideouts- Calvin Johnson (Detroit Lions), Chad Ochocinco (Cincinnati), Marques Colston (New Orleans), Donald Driver (Green Bay) and even Vincent Jackson (San Diego)-it is a topic worth visiting. As Bess continues to develop into one of the league's premier possession receivers, here are some things that define his style of play.


For the rest, here is the link: http://draftnasty.com/insider_blogs/bess-making-best-of-opportunity/


Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:26 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Bess looks poised to develop into one hell of a player. Its hard to believe that this guy went undrafted with all the balls he was catching in college, even if it was at hawaii. IMO he has been our best WR minus the few drops he had over those 2-3 games.

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:10 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
joeschmoe wrote:
Bess looks poised to develop into one hell of a player. Its hard to believe that this guy went undrafted with all the balls he was catching in college, even if it was at hawaii. IMO he has been our best WR minus the few drops he had over those 2-3 games.


To develop? I think what we've seen is what Miami's got.

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:42 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Iowafin wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
Bess looks poised to develop into one hell of a player. Its hard to believe that this guy went undrafted with all the balls he was catching in college, even if it was at hawaii. IMO he has been our best WR minus the few drops he had over those 2-3 games.


To develop? I think what we've seen is what Miami's got.


So you think he hit his peak? I see a probowl posession receiver the likes of welker in the years coming.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:13 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21975
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Iowafin wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
Bess looks poised to develop into one hell of a player. Its hard to believe that this guy went undrafted with all the balls he was catching in college, even if it was at hawaii. IMO he has been our best WR minus the few drops he had over those 2-3 games.


To develop? I think what we've seen is what Miami's got.


Many were saying the exact same thing about Welker before he left. He had 1 TD in two seasons with the Dolphins.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:47 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:48 am
Posts: 39
Location: ontario canada
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
the timing connection between Brady and Welker has enhanced both their careers. lets hope that the connection between Henne and Bess does the same


Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:03 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 6202
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Bess's game will improve when he has more room to operate. Opposing safeties and LBs are all over him right when he makes the catch. Another WR who can attract some attention should help that.


Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:08 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
Bess looks poised to develop into one hell of a player. Its hard to believe that this guy went undrafted with all the balls he was catching in college, even if it was at hawaii. IMO he has been our best WR minus the few drops he had over those 2-3 games.


To develop? I think what we've seen is what Miami's got.


Many were saying the exact same thing about Welker before he left. He had 1 TD in two seasons with the Dolphins.


He's the same player that he was in Miami...he was just utilized more and put next to Randy Moss.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:59 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21975
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Iowafin wrote:
He's the same player that he was in Miami...he was just utilized more and put next to Randy Moss.


You do realize you just inadvertantly made the argument that Bess is as good a player, right?

Consider Welker's numbers in Miami in 2006 compared to Bess's averages over two seasons.

Welker
67 catches, 687 yards 1 TD, 3 fumbles

Bess's averages in two seasons

65 catches, 656 yards 1.5 TD, 3.5 fumbles

Virtually the same statistics.

Using your logic, Bess would lead the NFL in catches if he played next to Moss.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:43 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am
Posts: 774
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
He's the same player that he was in Miami...he was just utilized more and put next to Randy Moss.


You do realize you just inadvertantly made the argument that Bess is as good a player, right?

Consider Welker's numbers in Miami in 2006 compared to Bess's averages over two seasons.

Welker
67 catches, 687 yards 1 TD, 3 fumbles

Bess's averages in two seasons

65 catches, 656 yards 1.5 TD, 3.5 fumbles

Virtually the same statistics.

Using your logic, Bess would lead the NFL in catches if he played next to Moss.


Which is reason why we need a true #1 WR .. imagine if we had a Randy Moss on one side, I'd like to see Hartline on the other side, ginn and bess in the slot, Camarillo could be anywhere if he sticks .. that would be nice .. partner that with our rushing attack and a solid O line and our offense will be up there with the best of them.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:07 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
He's the same player that he was in Miami...he was just utilized more and put next to Randy Moss.


You do realize you just inadvertantly made the argument that Bess is as good a player, right?

Consider Welker's numbers in Miami in 2006 compared to Bess's averages over two seasons.

Welker
67 catches, 687 yards 1 TD, 3 fumbles

Bess's averages in two seasons

65 catches, 656 yards 1.5 TD, 3.5 fumbles

Virtually the same statistics.

Using your logic, Bess would lead the NFL in catches if he played next to Moss.


Not quite. Welker had the likes of Harrington and Frerotte and Culpepper getting constantly pressured because of a poor Oline. Yet Welker was still able to get open and make plays. Bess probably would as well, but the talent that surrounds Bess now is not what Welker had when he was in Miami.
But yes, put Bess in New England, and he is getting close to 100 balls every year.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:36 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21975
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Iowafin wrote:
Not quite. Welker had the likes of Harrington and Frerotte and Culpepper getting constantly pressured because of a poor Oline.


He also had better receivers around him getting more attention than him. In Miami, Bess is the guy getting the attention.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:56 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 3895
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Not quite. Welker had the likes of Harrington and Frerotte and Culpepper getting constantly pressured because of a poor Oline.


He also had better receivers around him getting more attention than him. In Miami, Bess is the guy getting the attention.


We needed to get Cam involved more... I know I just said the other day he should be the 1 to get cut... but the guy doesn't drop anything... maybe he wasn't getting open?


Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:07 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21975
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
IamPZ wrote:
We needed to get Cam involved more... I know I just said the other day he should be the 1 to get cut... but the guy doesn't drop anything... maybe he wasn't getting open?


Maybe not. And if he wasn't how much of a role did his knee play?

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:10 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 3895
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
We needed to get Cam involved more... I know I just said the other day he should be the 1 to get cut... but the guy doesn't drop anything... maybe he wasn't getting open?


Maybe not. And if he wasn't how much of a role did his knee play?


Good point, it was his first year coming off of a torn ACL no?

Wonder if the regime gives him another year...


Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:15 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
IamPZ wrote:
Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
We needed to get Cam involved more... I know I just said the other day he should be the 1 to get cut... but the guy doesn't drop anything... maybe he wasn't getting open?


Maybe not. And if he wasn't how much of a role did his knee play?


Good point, it was his first year coming off of a torn ACL no?

Wonder if the regime gives him another year...


Of course...he's an excellent receiver. This regime isn't dumb like previous ones.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:23 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Not quite. Welker had the likes of Harrington and Frerotte and Culpepper getting constantly pressured because of a poor Oline.


He also had better receivers around him getting more attention than him. In Miami, Bess is the guy getting the attention.


I don't know about that.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:27 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21975
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Iowafin wrote:
I don't know about that.


Chris Chambers and Marty Booker were better then than what we have now.

Not even debateable.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:40 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
I don't know about that.


Chris Chambers and Marty Booker were better then than what we have now.

Not even debateable.


It's all relative.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:45 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21975
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Draft Nasty: Bess making the most of his opportunity
Iowafin wrote:
Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
I don't know about that.


Chris Chambers and Marty Booker were better then than what we have now.

Not even debateable.


It's all relative.


Ok.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.