View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Who gets cut? 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Who gets cut?
March 5th is right around the corner and this looks to be a very uncertain free agency period. With no CBA in sight there is a good opportunity for teams to unload huge contracts. Some of these contracts are for players who arent necessarily awful, they are just highly overpaid. We already know Porter will be one of those cuts, and some are speculating Gibril Wilson may be another. Who else do you think, around the league and not just here, will be axed? A follow up to that is who may be attractive to Miami?

Dont take this as an option to the number 1 WR problem we have, but what if Dallas were to cut ties with Roy Williams ridiculous contract? He's a bigger guy who can make some catches over the middle and might take some pressure off of the rest of our receivers. He wouldnt be the solution but could certainly help. Again this is just an example that wouldnt require draft pick compensation to fill a need.

Any other WR, FS, or LBs that people have heard or read about that are facing the chopping block?

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:18 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Who gets cut?
Not sure who gets cut. Other than Porter that is. As for who we pick up I just think you have to be so careful who you go after. I think guys get cut for a reason that goes beyond just dumping a salary. There is no better judge of a guy than the team he has been with. They know if his skills are in decline , if he is injured or just if he is a pain in the butt.
Dont get so hyped up about all the big & familiar names we might see , it usually means guys who are going on reputation only while not wanting to admit they are in the decline of their career. The best signings might just be the guys whose names you might not heard of alot.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:30 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Understand that I'm not advocating Roy Williams as the answer to our problem at WR. I just think he fits the physical bill of what the brass is looking for and can make some contributions. I do not think he is what Dallas traded for, a number 1. His name just came to mind so I threw it out there.

As for others, sometimes you hit and sometimes you dont. I just dont see the brass wanting to trade away too many picks or give insane bonuses to the few UFAs out there. Sometimes these band aid guys give you something for a few years and then move along.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:34 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Band Aid guys like Brett Favre and Drew Brees?

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:38 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

jammer wrote:
I just dont see the brass wanting to trade away too many picks or give insane bonuses to the few UFAs out there. Sometimes these band aid guys give you something for a few years and then move along.

good thing the FO would not have to trade away picks to get an UFA

Maybe all we need is a few years from these "band aid guys" while we can develop some young talent

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
Band Aid guys like Brett Favre and Drew Brees?

Lmao...what? Since when were those guys ever band aids? Answer: Never.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

MTFan wrote:
jammer wrote:
I just dont see the brass wanting to trade away too many picks or give insane bonuses to the few UFAs out there. Sometimes these band aid guys give you something for a few years and then move along.

Maybe all we need is a few years from these "band aid guys" while we can develop some young talent

Sorry I didnt add a comma to the sentence. If you can't understand that the giving up picks portion of the sentence was seperated from the signing bonus portion I'll be happy to break it down. Picks are for trades and RFAs, the insane bonus money is for the UFAs.

And yes, if you can sign a recently released guy and get a year or two of productivity out of him while the drafted talent develops then I say go for it.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:15 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

jammer wrote:
MTFan wrote:
jammer wrote:

Sorry I didnt add a comma to the sentence. If you can't understand that the giving up picks portion of the sentence was seperated from the signing bonus portion I'll be happy to break it down. Picks are for trades and RFAs, the insane bonus money is for the UFAs.

And yes, if you can sign a recently released guy and get a year or two of productivity out of him while the drafted talent develops then I say go for it.

:no:

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:08 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joey Porter will for sure get cut by Miami, and probably Gibril Wilson depending on if they draft or sign someone else.
Denver will try to trade Marshall, but I think in the end he will get released because of McDaniels' oversized ego.
Jake Delhomme will be let go.
Unless Patrick Kearney reworks his deal, I can see Pete Carroll cutting ties with him. Deion Branch has a huge deal, and hasn't proven he's worth it.
Thomas Jones, Derek Anderson, Fred Smoot, Phillip Daniels, and Renaldo Wynn are all likely candidates.

A shocker would be Clinton Portis in Washington. He's getting up there as far as running backs are concerned, and he's had his injuries as of late...take that into account with the fact that Mike Shanahan was the man to deal Portis to Washington in the first place because Mike goes through running backs like a baby does diapers, and I could see Washington relieving themself of that hefty contract.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:18 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I've heard that New Orleans will cut Bush if they can't restructure his contract.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:34 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

IamPZ wrote:
I've heard that New Orleans will cut Bush if they can't restructure his contract.

Say what!? Reggie Bush in our Wild Cat. Holy crap. That would be amazing. Ronnie, Ricky and Reggie. I can dream can't I?

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:15 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Will Allen may want to start being a little smarter and stop being so darn dumb and continuing to get himself in trouble with the law. This is his 2nd incident in 5-6 months with the law.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]