View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Tell me why Rolando McClain is special 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Tell me why Rolando McClain is special
Quote:
saw a guy that made routine plays. I saw a guy that didn't seem faster or more explosive than everyone else on his defense. I saw a guy that tackled high. I saw a guy that usually took the right path to the ball carrier, but not always. I saw a lot of tackles in which he cleaned up, rather than was the first guy on the scene. I saw a good, not great, blitzer.

I was impressed by McClain's ability in pass coverage. That stood out for me.

But dominant as a run-stopper? A man to be game-planned for? A game-changer?

I failed to see that.

What am I not seeing? What am I missing here?

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... ayers.html

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:10 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Tell me why Rolando McClain is special
If he is drafted by us at #12 he better be special. I have never seen the guy play and I am definitely no expert at seeing the traits that translate to the NFL. That being said, we can not afford to miss on our first pick.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:16 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I was reading this today, as well as his story with Mayock stating that we'd be better off taking Sergio Kindle, very interesting. Personally, I don't follow much college outside of the U, so I've never seen the guy play. This is year 3 of the trifecta, so I am expecting big things this year. We have to hit on this pick and the rest of them for this regime to solidify it's plan and move forward, we can't afford another 'pick the best player available', we need the best player that fills a need for us. No more Pat white picks, please.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Interesting article, but to be fair, all players have weaknesses. I don't know that you have to be outstanding at any one ability, but being solid overall is a highly desirable thing on the NFL level. If not McClain, then who? Dez Bryant? There are problems with that pick as well. I know one thing for sure though, I'm glad this isn't my job because I wouldn't have the first clue how to make that decision.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:36 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

I didn't get to watch both videos in full length, but from the little I did watch the author has some pretty good points.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Clearly Armando was not looking for the right thing....yes, he is good in every aspect of his physical ability to play the game. It's his mental ability that has guys raving. Look at the plays where there are screens, draws, QB sneaks, etc. He is there EVERY time...he is moving his lineman, he is talking, and he is getting his defense to where it needs to be. That's what you want your ILB to do, that is what you need him to do. How many times have we seen QB's just take off for a TD? Ryan Fitzpatrick went, what, 30 some yards? McClain doesn't let that happen. He trusts his eyes, and he's a guy that can carry out Nolan's scheme better than any other guy in this draft.

That is the wow factor.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:33 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
Clearly Armando was not looking for the right thing....yes, he is good in every aspect of his physical ability to play the game. It's his mental ability that has guys raving. Look at the plays where there are screens, draws, QB sneaks, etc. He is there EVERY time...he is moving his lineman, he is talking, and he is getting his defense to where it needs to be. That's what you want your ILB to do, that is what you need him to do. How many times have we seen QB's just take off for a TD? Ryan Fitzpatrick went, what, 30 some yards? McClain doesn't let that happen. He trusts his eyes, and he's a guy that can carry out Nolan's scheme better than any other guy in this draft.

That is the wow factor.

Well said.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:11 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Bein' a Alabama fan... I personally think McClain has what it takes, and that is homer vision set aside. He completely controls the defense. He puts people where they need to be... he makes adjustments to what he is seeing on the field at that particular time and makes everyone else on the defense understand what is going on as well. He is a smart defender... if he is there at #12, no way you pass on him.

I didn't watch those videos, but let me tell you something, you can find two videos of any player making high tackles, or dropping catches, or making a spectacular catch, run so forth and so on. Bottom line is, McClain was there for Bama all year this year, making plays, putting the defense in position to win games. He was their leader and that is what this team needs. A defensive leader, that can put others in place, as well as himself to make plays.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:26 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I've never been sold on McClain, but there is something to be said for being the leader of one of the best defenses in the nation. Does he have the "wow factor"? I haven't seen it, but he should be more than capable of leading the way.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:31 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:

That is the wow factor.

Very well said.
I don't think he is the flashiest guy out there but he may be the smartest linebacker in the draft. How many times have we seen guys who are physical freaks not make it on the second level? Look at Vernon Gholston, many on this board thought we should draft him 1st overall in 2007. What has he done in the NFL? Just having physical skills and freakish talent doesnt mean you will succeed at the next level. McClain doesn't strike me as a Ray Lewis or Bryan Urlacher, but he does have the brains to become very good at the next level. That being said though, does he have the right blend of physical/talent/smarts to be worthy of the #12 overall pick? I think so, but I am happy I don't have to make that decision.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:51 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I'm driving the McClain bus, washing and waxing, filling the tank and putting dual exhausts on it. I love this kid and yes every player can be put under the microscope for there faults but you can't knock his football brain. I think that's why some compare him to Ray Lewis because for 3 years this kids been the HEAD on the Alabama Voltron Machine looking Defense. Parcells loves consistency meaning kids who have been STARTERS for 3 years at least.

McCLAIN ALL THE WAY!!!!

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:06 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

joeschmoe wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

That is the wow factor.

Well said.

I agree, he is the kind of player that makes everyone better, he lets everyone know what they should be doing, he knows how to change a D at the line of scrimage. And he is a right place right time guy which I like

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:32 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

MdDolfan wrote:
I'm driving the McClain bus, washing and waxing, filling the tank and putting dual exhausts on it. I love this kid and yes every player can be put under the microscope for there faults but you can't knock his football brain. I think that's why some compare him to Ray Lewis because for 3 years this kids been the HEAD on the Alabama Voltron Machine looking Defense. Parcells loves consistency meaning kids who have been STARTERS for 3 years at least.

McCLAIN ALL THE WAY!!!!

When you get tired of driving, give me the keys. :fart:

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:36 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Coots wrote:
I didn't watch those videos

I haven't either, but let's hope the 11 teams above us does with Armando's glasses.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

What Dave said...

This kid is an absolute stud, a great run stuffer, a 3 down backer, a leader, extremely smart...

He's not going to be Patrick Willis, but he's going to be a heck of a player.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:59 pm
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

McCain?

Thank God we're having a revote on the 2008 presidential election.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:04 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

Rolando does not have that WOW factor to him, that flashy type style, he is just a good, all around solid football player. As has been stated, he is smart, he sets the defense and is very good in film study and recognizing things he sees in film study, a good, solid tackler and has the ability to play in coverage on 3rd down.

He has a maturity about him that you still unfortunately don't see sometimes in Channing Crowder and he has the size that the trifecta likes in a 3-4 inside linebacker. He reminds me of Harry Carson, the Pro Bowl ILB for Bill Parcells while he was with the Giants. Not real flashy, just a hell of a good football player.

Armando likes Brandon Graham, and most know on the board that I do love the young man as well and he catches someone likes Salguero attention because of his sack numbers, 29.5 career sacks. The Dolphins certainly have needs at both ILB and OLB.

I would not have a problem at all with McClain being the pick at #12 because he could come in and immediately compete for one of the ILB positions. That is what you need with the 12th pick in the draft, someone that can come in and compete for a starting position from day 1.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:13 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

No problem! :yay:

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:59 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Coots wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:

McCLAIN ALL THE WAY!!!!

I can pick you up Aprill 22nd!!!! :yay:

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:01 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
McCain?

Thank God we're having a revote on the 2008 presidential election.

It's McCLain - the guy form the Die Hard movies not the guy from the Die Hard prison.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]