View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Florida QB Tim Tebow is finally changing his mechanics 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Florida QB Tim Tebow is finally changing his mechanics
Some members here have a soft spot (insert comment here;) for Tebow. Florio wrote about his delivery yesterday and David Hyde did this morning. The bottom line is that his coaches had little regard for his NFL career.

David Hyde wrote:
2. Has Tim Tebow changed his delivery? And what's it say about his coaching at Florida, if anything? ESPN's Adam Schefter writes there's a new-look Tebow that will be unveiled at the Pro Day in March.

"... There are things that I can get a lot better at -- my fundamentals,'' he said in Nashville, where he's being coached by former pro coaches Marc Trestman and Zeke Bratkowski. "I've never been asked to shorten or quicken my release and not have a loop in it. The changes I'm making have gone very well and it's becoming more and more natural to me."

He added: "I want to get better. I want to be around people who will push me. I will do anything to get better. Without hearing the criticism, I would have done it. It's made me more confident, more accurate. And that's not to say I haven't had this type of coaching in the past. I just have had different coaching than this NFL style."

Look, his coaching at Florida won a Heisman and two national titles. But why wasn't his obvious, long delivery changed in four years there?

Sun Sentinel

Mike Florio (PFT) wrote:
Tebow is finally changing his mechanics
Posted by Mike Florio on February 22, 2010 9:12 AM ET

As Florida coach Urban Meyer takes his much-hyped leave of absence, we hope that Meyer spends some of his down time reflecting on his biggest failure.

After the Gators won two national championships in three seasons with Tebow at quarterback, Meyer owed a huge debt to Tebow. And Meyer should have spent all of 2009 attempting to repay it.

He didn't.

So Tebow left Gainseville with a release slower than Byron Leftwich in a vat of molasses, and overall football mechanics far uglier than Vince Young's Uncle Rico sidearm release.

It's therefore no surprise that Tebow is in the process of changing his throwing motion, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. What's surprising is that few are calling out Meyer for not doing anything and everything he could in 2009 to help make Tebow into a more marketable NFL quarterback.

Since Tebow isn't injured, he's using the belated effort to become a pro-style quarterback as an excuse not to throw at the Scouting Combine. The obvious goal for Tebow is to avoid doing more damage to his draft stock -- the obvious response in light of his Senior Bowl-week performance is whether it's possible for any further damage to be done.

Though Tebow seems to be trying hard not to point a finger at Meyer for the quarterback's current predicament, this quote tells us everything we need to know: "I've never been asked to shorten or quicken my release and not have a loop in it."

As the usually-sunny Joe Theismann said three weeks ago, the situation shows that Meyer and his staff have "no clue" as to the process for preparing a quarterback for the NFL. And while some of the Florida fans in the crowd might respond by saying that Urban Meyer's only duty is to prepare players to play college football, look for Nick Saban and every other coach in the SEC to take a DVD of Tebow's throwing motion into the homes of every high-end quarterback recruit for as long as Meyer remains the Florida coach. They'll all be making the case to the kid and his family that, if he hopes to play in the NFL, he'd better not go to Gainseville.

If you don't think that'll eventually impact the performance of Meyer's team, then you simply don't understand how college football actually works.

Meanwhile, Tebow will be left to his own devices to get an education into how pro football actually works. During his four years with Meyer, Tebow apparently learned absolutely nothing.

Pro Football Talk

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:15 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Florida QB Tim Tebow is finally changing his mechanics
I have high hopes for him... if anything he's very determined to prove the doubters wrong.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:36 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

When a player has to change his throwing mechanics this late in the game, high hopes will be dashed.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:53 am

Rich wrote:
When a player has to change his throwing mechanics this late in the game, high hopes will be dashed.

Ya just never know... I'm not expecting him to come in and be an all-star, but anything is possible.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:23 am

IamPZ wrote:
Rich wrote:

Ya just never know... I'm not expecting him to come in and be an all-star, but anything is possible.

I'll use history as a barometer. Every QB that has played in the system Tebow played in, coupled with every QB that has come out of college and needed serious work with his mechanics has been a flop at the NFL level.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:26 am

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
Rich wrote:

I'll use history as a barometer. Every QB that has played in the system Tebow played in, coupled with every QB that has come out of college and needed serious work with his mechanics has been a flop at the NFL level.

Well that stinks ... I'll still root for him... hopefully he proves history wrong... but not many do.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:19 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:24 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Would not be surprised if the Phins target him the kid has natural talent a huge heart and excellent work ethic. He will do what he is told and eventually excel at it. I AM NOT PROMOTING HIM AS THE SECOND ROUND PICK. LOL

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:

um...?

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:12 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:

um...?

yeah, to hell with tebow

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:32 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

His gf is giving tha []_[] symbol....and Tebow goes to UF...

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

um...?

yeah, to hell with tebow

You're not making any sense.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

What symbol is that?

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tebow will do no better than carry a clipboard for most of his career, with spurts of playing time when the starter gets hurt.

His career is over before it even started.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:

For the life of me I cannot remember a QB ever succeeding after changing his throwing motion. Maybe that's why his Florida coaches didn't make an effort to change his.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:23 pm
Profile WWW

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

What symbol is that?

You've never seen that before?

The U......Miami University.

It's all about da []_[].

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

What symbol is that?

You've never seen that before?

The U......Miami University.

It's all about da []_[].

Miami University as in the University in Oxford, Ohio? Or University of Miami...as in south Florida.

I don't know why you couldnt just say the "U"
Is that how they do it in internet land, or are you making stuff up again.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think everyone else got it Iowa.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:

lol I still don't get it. Is the joke that he is taking a picture with a girl that is flashing the U sign? Is she a Miami alum, or trying to be funny? Did she mean to be making that sign? There's so many questions...

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:46 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
Rich wrote:

his chances of success are low with those two strikes. His only hope is a team drafts him and implements the spread offense. I know some teams were looking into the spread.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:08 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
Phin wrote:

lol I still don't get it. Is the joke that he is taking a picture with a girl that is flashing the U sign? Is she a Miami alum, or trying to be funny? Did she mean to be making that sign? There's so many questions...

UF and UM have a strong rivalry, to the point that UF has been scared to play UM for a few years now. The girl (a UM alum) asked tebow to take a picture with her, and she threw up the U right before it was snapped. Tebow is a pansy. Its all about the U.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:23 am

joeschmoe wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phin wrote:

UF and UM have a strong rivalry, to the point that UF has been scared to play UM for a few years now. The girl (a UM alum) asked tebow to take a picture with her, and she threw up the U right before it was snapped. Tebow is a pansy. Its all about the U.

yeah I'm sure UF is really scared to play a washed up Miami Hurricanes team... please... UF trumps "the U"

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:25 am

IamPZ wrote:
yeah I'm sure UF is really scared to play a washed up Miami Hurricanes team... please... UF trumps "the U"

Actually, they are. UM is always trying to get the Gators on the schedule and the Gators are always trying to avoid it.

Maybe at this very point when UF is on top and UM is rebuilding (not washed up as you incorrectly point out) they wouldn't be scared. But historically, UF tries to avoid UM.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:38 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

IamPZ wrote:

Careful, PZ. There are probably more 'Canes fans on this forum than all the other teams combine;)

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's a little more Tebow info. I am not sure if I agree with Wyche, but I respect his opinion when it comes to an NFL offense.

Quote:
Roundup: Tim Tebow has a believer in Sam Wyche

Tim Tebow may have a lot of naysayers when it comes to his mechanics and ability to play quarterback in the NFL. But former Bengals coach Sam Wyche is not one of them, needing only two days with Tebow last month to become a believer, according to Bengals.com.

Wyche, along with former long-time NFL offensive coordinator Zeke Bratkowski (father of current Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski), is charged with prepping Tebow for his pro day workout, when he’s supposed to unveil his new throwing motion. But Wyche, whose first year as 49ers QB coach coincided with Joe Montana’s rookie year in 1979, doesn’t think much needs to be done:

Wyche, frankly, didn’t want to alter that much despite the crush of doomsayers that say Tebow can’t make it because of his elongated throwing motion and choppy footwork after a horrific week at the Senior Bowl.

“If you don’t think he can line up at quarterback in the NFL,” Wyche said Monday from his South Carolina home, “then you don’t know about lining up in the NFL. The last thing I told him when I left was not to change how accurate he is and his touch. The two things you have to have in a quarterback are accuracy and intelligence. If you don’t, you’re going to be finding another one pretty quickly. And (Tebow) is as smart as a whip.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/23/roundup ... sam-wyche/

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:37 am
Profile WWW

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Actually, they are. UM is always trying to get the Gators on the schedule and the Gators are always trying to avoid it.

Maybe at this very point when UF is on top and UM is rebuilding (not washed up as you incorrectly point out) they wouldn't be scared. But historically, UF tries to avoid UM.

So my opinion on their current status is wrong and yours is right?

Gotcha.

And I don't see any proof being pointed to here, all I see is words from people here... people get a little too crazy over this "the U" crap... give me a break... when was the last time they won a championship? Or even appeared in one?

Edit:

Did a little research and was surprised to see that Princeton has appeared in the most College Football championships... albeit I'm not sure how many since the BCS was put into play... but that's a shocker to me... lol

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:38 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

IamPZ wrote:
Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Gotcha.

And I don't see any proof being pointed to here, all I see is words from people here... people get a little too crazy over this "the U" crap... give me a break... when was the last time they won a championship? Or even appeared in one?

Edit:

Did a little research and was surprised to see that Princeton has appeared in the most College Football championships... albeit I'm not sure how many since the BCS was put into play... but that's a shocker to me... lol

UF started their football program in 1906, and has since won 3 National Championships.

UM Started their football program in 1926 and has won 5 National Championship.

From 1986-2008 UM is 6-1 against the gators.

If it weren't Tebow & Meyer, UF is still irrelevant.

UM has the record for the most consecutive years with a first round selection, which was ended last year due to poor recruiting. UF has... Tebow?

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:59 am

IamPZ wrote:

Yes. Miami has improved every year under Randy Shannon. They are a rebuilding team.

Quote:

I follow the Hurricanes but I don't consider myself a fan. The last time the Hurricanes won a championship was 2001 and played in one in 2002. It wasn't that long ago.

And it is a well known fact for those who follow college football that the Hurricanes are always trying to get something setup with the Gators and it's the Gators that usually avoid them. This started in 1987. The Gators and Canes played every year from 1944 to 1987 until the Gators put a stop to it. I don't blame the Gators, they have a tough SEC schedule every year. But the fact is, it is the Gators who wanted to stop playing the Canes, not the other way around.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Yes. Miami has improved every year under Randy Shannon. They are a rebuilding team.

Quote:

I follow the Hurricanes but I don't consider myself a fan. The last time the Hurricanes won a championship was 2001 and played in one in 2002. It wasn't that long ago.

And it is a well known fact for those who follow college football that the Hurricanes are always trying to get something setup with the Gators and it's the Gators that usually avoid them. This started in 1987. The Gators and Canes played every year from 1944 to 1987 until the Gators put a stop to it. I don't blame the Gators, they have a tough SEC schedule every year. But the fact is, it is the Gators who wanted to stop playing the Canes, not the other way around.

If I were the modern Gators I wouldn't want to play UM either. Their consistent top 5 rankings might be brought down, even with a big win over UM, because of "strength of schedule" issues. LOL!

UF may not want to play UM for any number of reasons, but I doubt they fear them either.

And this is coming from a guy whose chief mantra has always been "my favorite team is FSU and whoever plays UM/UF." I have no dog in that ugly contest and absolutely hate both teams. That game might as well not happen there are no winners regardless of what the scoreboard says.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

eleaf wrote:

And this is coming from a guy whose chief mantra has always been "my favorite team is FSU and whoever plays UM/UF." I have no dog in that ugly contest and absolutely hate both teams. That game might as well not happen there are no winners regardless of what the scoreboard says.

I'm sure you pull for the Gaotrs a little more since the 'canes are within the conference

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:36 pm

eleaf wrote:
UF may not want to play UM for any number of reasons, but I doubt they fear them either.

As I said in my post, right now it wouldn't be out of fear. They are scheduled to play in 2013. But in 1987, when UF declined to play UM every year on a going forward basis, it definitely was out of fear. Same thing with Notre Dame.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Ick I got myself into a bad argument because I don't follow college football at all... I'll be sure to back out of this one now lol.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:02 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
eleaf wrote:

As I said in my post, right now it wouldn't be out of fear. They are scheduled to play in 2013. But in 1987, when UF declined to play UM every year on a going forward basis, it definitely was out of fear. Same thing with Notre Dame.

whoa, whoa, whoa.....don't bring Notre Dame into this one

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phin wrote:

JoeSchmoe explained it well......but you do know that the U. of Miami is The U?

Just making sure, because that would be disturbing. Lol.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:55 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

MTFan wrote:
Rich wrote:
eleaf wrote:

whoa, whoa, whoa.....don't bring Notre Dame into this one

LOL, I'd like to see that rivalry return. There have been talks about it returning.

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:56 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phin wrote:

JoeSchmoe explained it well......but you do know that the U. of Miami is The U?

Yes, that much I know. I guess I didn't know who the girl was, or what she was doing...just thought it was a picture of Tebow with some girl and that somehow it was funny.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:
eleaf wrote:

I'm sure you pull for the Gaotrs a little more since the 'canes are within the conference

Not since FSU hasn't been all that relevant in the conference (or in all of college football for that matter).

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

There's a vid up on nfl.com where Tebow talks about what he's been working on etc bla bla.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah....they could draft Tebow, put him in the backfield with Pat White and two running backs and run some sort of wishbone option..... :)

Tebow was a great college QB....just like Pat White. Some guys aren't NFL QB's.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Yeah....they could draft Tebow, put him in the backfield with Pat White and two running backs and run some sort of wishbone option..... :)

Tebow was a great college QB....just like Pat White. Some guys aren't NFL QB's.

While that may be true. I'd much rather have Tebow then White.. at this point.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next