View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Laptop is sick! 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Laptop is sick!
OK Geeks & Gurus -
I have a Dell latitude D620 (yeah I know its a dinosaur but I just cant get away from XP ... yet)
Anyway , it is shutting off. I do know the battery is not getting a charge but I usually always have it plugged in when I use it. However right before it does power off the orange battery light on the lower right side does flash which I know means low battery strength but once again the laptop is plugged in.
Any thoughts ... very frustrating & before I go out I buy a new one can this one be saved?
Thanks,
Mitch

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:45 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Re: Laptop is sick!
Is it shutting off with the power cored plugged in?

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:07 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

If it's shutting off with the power cord plugged in, it's likely the computer's power supply... I'm not sure how expensive that would be to fix on a laptop... I know on a Desktop you can get the parts for as low as 60 bucks.

EDIT:
Did some research... silly me laptops use batteries, not power supplies.

Check this out... looks like it's gonna cost you less than 50 bucks for a new battery.
http://www.amazon.com/Latitude-properly ... B000UFPG4U

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:46 am

OK .... it was the mother board , pretty expensive fix. So I bought a new laptop , upgraded to windows 7 ultimate , all the bells & whistles & best of all by upgrading all my XP stuff loaded well.
Here is my next problem , one that I cannot figure out yet.
I use Outlook as my email carrier. Now , I have a bunch of emails on that old laptop so I took out the hard drive (which is fine) & put it into my docking station & I am able to get everything off of it EXCEPT my old outlook emails. I know they are on there but I cannot find them. When I bring up outlook from that old hard drive I get my current outlook. I have been researching this & it seems the files are hidden but i still cannot access them. Can anyone help??
Also does anyone know where I can buy a Dell latitude d620 laptop without a hard drive?? if I can find one I can give that laptop to my kids.
Thanks guys!

Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:15 pm

FINesse wrote:
OK .... it was the mother board , pretty expensive fix. So I bought a new laptop , upgraded to windows 7 ultimate , all the bells & whistles & best of all by upgrading all my XP stuff loaded well.
Here is my next problem , one that I cannot figure out yet.
I use Outlook as my email carrier. Now , I have a bunch of emails on that old laptop so I took out the hard drive (which is fine) & put it into my docking station & I am able to get everything off of it EXCEPT my old outlook emails. I know they are on there but I cannot find them. When I bring up outlook from that old hard drive I get my current outlook. I have been researching this & it seems the files are hidden but i still cannot access them. Can anyone help??
Also does anyone know where I can buy a Dell latitude d620 laptop without a hard drive?? if I can find one I can give that laptop to my kids.
Thanks guys!

Check out Tigerdirect.com, newegg.com, half.com or even ebay for the laptop.

As for the outlook thing, there should be a file somewhere on your comp that holds all your emails... I've had the IT department do this for me at work a few times since we change computers a lot... I'll research more and get back to you.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You are looking for your .pst file. This is typically called Outlook.Pst and is in a hidden folder under your user. A mock address for this (vista) would be:

C:\Users\<login username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

In XP I think the folder AppData is spelled out as Application Data. If you move that folder over to a location on your new drive, you can access is seperately from the folder that was generated on the new laptop as soon as you started Outlook. When you open outlook, go to ->Tools->Options-->Mail Setup-->Data Files-->Add--> then follow the prompts and look for the Outlook.Pst you brought over. This will set up a new folder (that you can name) with all of your old subfolders etc.

If you don't have any new mail worth saving, you can simply replace the new .pst with the old .pst and everything should follow over. Anything in the new one would be overwritten though.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:43 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

go to have it fixed .

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]