View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Casserly calls draft class greatest since '83 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Casserly calls draft class greatest since '83
I'm not sure that I agree, but with the extra college players in the draft due to their fears of a Rookie cap next year, it should make our early 2nd round pick a good one.

Quote:
Casserly calls draft class greatest since '83
by Tim Graham

INDIANAPOLIS -- I doubt Bill Belichick will be too impressed with this declaration.

Nevertheless, NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly made a bold statement Friday about this year's draft class.

The former Washington Redskins and Houston Texans executive asserted the players taken in this year's first round will be the greatest collection of talent since the most celebrated class turned pro nearly three decades ago.

"This is the best first round I've seen since 1983," Casserly said at the NFL scouting combine in Lucas Oil Stadium.

Of the 28 players selected in the first round in 1983, six have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. They went to 77 Pro Bowls and won nine Super Bowls.

The 1983 quarterback class is legendary. All five AFC East clubs selected quarterbacks.

The Indianapolis Colts took John Elway first overall. The Buffalo Bills drafted Jim Kelly 14th. One spot later, the New England Patriots chose Tony Eason. The New York Jets got Ken O'Brien 24th, and the Miami Dolphins used the 27th pick on Dan Marino.

Other first-round stars included running backs Eric Dickerson and Curt Warner, offensive linemen Chris Hinton, Jimbo Covert and Bruce Matthews and defensive backs Joey Browner, Gil Byrd and Darrell Green.

Casserly claimed only that crew will surpass the one that comes together in April.

With a rookie salary cap expected to be part of the next collective bargaining agreement, 53 underclassmen declared for this year's draft so they can sign under the current CBA, which allows rookies to get whatever they can.

"In talking to general managers throughout the league, decision-makers," Casserly said, "I think it's the result of two things. Last year, there was a concentrated effort to keep players in school. Conversely, both sides in the labor negotiations have talked about a rookie wage scale.

"So when you have those two things working, players without a motivation to stay in school will say 'The players who stayed in last year, you have a perfect storm to have the best junior crop you've had since all the way back to '83.' So I think this is the best first round I've seen going into a draft since 1983."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... t-since-83

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Casserly calls draft class greatest since '83
If true then would it be time to try and get more picks or does trading for Boldin et al. still make sense.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:08 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

AQNOR wrote:
If true then would it be time to try and get more picks or does trading for Boldin et al. still make sense.

It depends on what the other team thinks. If the other team believes Casserly then it would be a great time to trade picks because they other team will value them more highly. If the other team doesn't think this draft is anything special then they may be willing to part with their picks for a little less.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:55 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Yeah, just like the '99 draft class was as good as '83. I'll have to see it to believe it.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Great draft at certain positions....O-line, D-line, linebacker, safety.....

the talent level at WR is not close to last year's class. QB looks kinda' slim pickin's too....after Bradford and Claussen.....and I don't think Claussen will be that special. Bradford could be a good one!

RB looks average this year.....not too exciting.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:43 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:
and I don't think Claussen will be that special.

Could not agree more!!

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]