View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 The Fat Man sounds a little Scared! 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post The Fat Man sounds a little Scared!
Rex Ryan on Mike Nolan:

Ryan, never afraid to throw out a challenge, was deferential when asked about facing Nolan twice a year.

"He's outstanding," Ryan said. "He's one of the top coordinators in the league. I learned a ton working under Mike for several years. He's one of my favorite guys. That was a great hire.

"He's always had a well-coached team that really gets after it. I'm sure that's the way it'll be. It's going to be tough."

You darn right it's going to be tough especially since we swept them last year. I know a lot of you guys on this forum want the WR and the TE but we need to supply Nolan with some head hunters who are fast, young and physical. I agree that we need playmakers on offense but they can be had after the 3rd round. We need more picks so I would be happy to see us trade down and it might be a blessing in disguise that McClain didn't work out at the combine, hopefully he slips and we can still grab him later. If not I'm confident BP, JI and TS will find the best ILB to lead our 3-4 but just even Rex Ryan said it in this article, YOU CAN'T RUN A 3-4 WITHOUT A STUD AT NT!!! Cody or Williams PLEASE!

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:26 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: The Fat Man sounds a little Scared!
More quotes from Rexy, The man knows about the 3-4:

Ryan, considered one of the finest 3-4 masterminds, noted the transformation can be smooth.

"I guess that depends on 'Are you changing coverages or is it just the front you are changing?'" Ryan said Saturday at the NFL scouting combine in Lucas Oil Stadium. "There are several different versions of a 3-4. But it depends on your style.

"If the coverages are staying the same, it probably is not as big of a change as what you might think."

The problem for Buffalo, however, is that they're missing the centerpiece of a 3-4 defense: a monstrous nose tackle to stuff the run.

"That might be one of the toughest parts of a 3-4," Ryan said.

Ryan went on to explain why.

(Football jargon alert! "Two-gap responsibility" means a defensive lineman is responsible for either opening beside the offensive lineman in front of him. "A-gap" means the area on either side of the center, a location where defensive linemen frequently will get double-teamed by a center and a guard.)

"If you are playing a standard 3-4 defense, then you got a two-gap responsibility, which means you got to be able to play the front-side A-gap and the backside A-gap at the same time," Ryan said.

"You generally need a dominant individual there. And that is what you have like a Kris Jenkins. A Ted Washington many years ago in Buffalo was one of the best two-gappers I have ever seen.

"A guy has to be active, got to be able to stay on his feet, his technique on releasing off of blocks has got to be outstanding. If not, you are really going to struggle at that

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:32 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Thanks for the report md...Just be sure to add a link to the site you found it on....

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:49 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Where does fatty sound scared? I think he knows that it'll be another tough year in the AFC East next year.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The Hen wrote:
Thanks for the report md...Just be sure to add a link to the site you found it on....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast

Sorry I forgot, you may have to scroll down to the middle of the page for the article...

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:10 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
Where does fatty sound scared? I think he knows that it'll be another tough year in the AFC East next year.

I guess I'm just exaggerating because he is the coach of the Pets, :jests:

But I think Rex IS looking forward to the challenge but may also be a little intimidated by his former coach.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Agree 100%... Im all for a NT in the first round since there are 3 great ones...

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:52 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

In my initial mock draft for Miami I have them taking Dan Williams. You have Buffalo, Denver & KC looking at NT and even though Pittsburgh signed Casey Hampton, he will be 33 when the season.

I don't think Miami can afford to wait until the 2nd round and get any of the top NT in Williams, Cody or Cam Thomas, who stock has shot thru the roof since the Senior Bowl and he has had a strong combine as well.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:57 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

The Fat Man knows his stuff.

As long as the first pick is defense, I am happy.

:yay:

Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:27 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:

Especially since he just released his 1400+ yard RB. You know, the guy who enabled them to be the best rushing team in the league.

He must have some serious confidence in Scamchez.

What does anyone want to bet that they go from AFC championship game to 8-8 or worse?

:jests: :jests: :jests:

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

eleaf. They wouldn't have released him had they thought Greene was anything but a star....which he is one in the making. He was the number one back from about Week 14 on, and that is when New York really started to hit their stride.

I would take Henne over Sanchez any day of the week, but if you give Mark another quality receiver...that's a heck of an offense, and we know what that D can do.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:12 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
eleaf. They wouldn't have released him had they thought Greene was anything but a star....which he is one in the making. He was the number one back from about Week 14 on, and that is when New York really started to hit their stride.

I would take Henne over Sanchez any day of the week, but if you give Mark another quality receiver...that's a heck of an offense, and we know what that D can do.

banned. :pumpiron:

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:15 pm

Ah man......again??

Ugh..... I shall now recite the official Phinfever apology:

Dan Marino was/is/and shall ever be, the greatest player of all time.
Don Shula is God.
Reggie Howard still sucks.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:19 pm
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

What does anyone want to bet that they go from AFC championship game to 8-8 or worse?

Well then they would go from 9-7 to 8-8. Certainly possible , not really a stretch there since the end of the season & the playoffs played out a bit in there favor. Obviously there were better AFC teams but the Jets got lucky as well. I dont think Rex is scared in fact I like the attitude , in his case you want the team to take on the personality of the coach. Heres the thing. This is a Dolphin site & the Dolphins went from 11-5 to 7-9. Im gonna focus on them & not worry so much about the other teams. Seems Rex is more popular here than Sparano.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:59 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The AFC East is becoming what the NFC East has been, a powerhouse division. Parcells, Belichek, Fatty, and who knows, maybe Chan Gailey can turn Buffalo around.. The Yets have a great D, we are gonna build a great D under Nolan, Belichek is one of the best D coordinators in the game, and Buffalo is going to a 34.. Its gonna be tough, but to be the best you gotta beat the best, right?
:jests: (what happened to the foot stomping the bills and pats?) :jests:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]