View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 OT - ESPN drops Hank Williams song after Obama comment 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: OT - ESPN drops Hank Williams song after Obama comment
Iowafin wrote:
I wasn't teaching you opinion. You made a claim, and I countered it with fact and you got your butt hurt.

It's your world, apparently. We're just livin' in it...

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

we're on the brink of this getting locked, but first I'd like to know....what did I say to counter your point that wasn't fact?

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:35 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Atually, it's a good debate.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:04 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I agree with Mak... you two know a hell of a lot more about history than I do ... lol

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:04 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Iowafin wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
Quote:
Obama prepares to take office as layoffs surge 80% from a year ago, consumer spending plummets at the fastest pace since 1980, world financial markets are in turmoil and bank failures rise.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2 ... nomy_N.htm

Yup... clearly the problems came solely from Obama.

We had a crash in 2008.....and under Obama's watch, he did a bank bailout that would put us where we are RIGHT NOW. He could have helped us recover, but instead he shoveled more money into a rat hole.

Bush bailed out the banks.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:23 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Bush and Republican Congress had a chance to correct the problems presented by the Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac mess that the lovely Bawney Fwank and Chris Dodd helped foster. They didn't and opted to pander for more votes.

Obama and a Democrat Congress had an opportunity to put measures in place to correct some serious economic issues and instead opted for blowing it up further to satisfy their vision for how America should be reshaped. Now we find ourselves in a huge mess.

Neither side has done much to help America.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:49 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I think the native americans was more ethnic cleansing than genocide.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Bush and Republican Congress had a chance to correct the problems presented by the Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac mess that the lovely Bawney Fwank and Chris Dodd helped foster. They didn't and opted to pander for more votes.

Obama and a Democrat Congress had an opportunity to put measures in place to correct some serious economic issues and instead opted for blowing it up further to satisfy their vision for how America should be reshaped. Now we find ourselves in a huge mess.

Neither side has done much to help America.

:yay:

Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:58 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

jammer wrote:

Not factually correct.

Bush and Republicans tried to do something about it, Democrats killed it.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/15/real_es ... /index.htm

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:07 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
"In 2004, it was Bush who started to push Fannie and Freddie into subprime mortgages, because they were boasting about how they were expanding homeownership for low-income people. And I said at the time, 'Hey — (a) this is going to jeopardize their profitability, but (b) it's going to put people in homes they can't afford, and they're gonna lose them.'"

In 2009 Frank responded to what he called "wholly inaccurate efforts by Republicans to blame Democrats, and [me] in particular" for the subprime mortgage crisis, which is linked to the financial crisis of 2007–2009. He outlined his efforts to reform these institutions and add regulations, but met resistance from Republicans, with the main exception being a bill with Republican Mike Oxley that died because of opposition from President Bush. The 2005 bill included Frank objectives, which were to impose tighter regulation of Fannie and Freddie and new funds for rental housing. Frank and Mike Oxley achieved broad bipartisan support for the bill in the Financial Services Committee, and it passed the House. But the Senate never voted on the measure, in part because President Bush was likely to veto it. "If it had passed, that would have been one of the ways we could have reined in the bowling ball going downhill called housing," Oxley told Frank. In an op-ed piece in the Wall Street Journal, Lawrence B. Lindsey, a former economic adviser to President George W. Bush, wrote that Frank "is the only politician I know who has argued that we needed tighter rules that intentionally produce fewer homeowners and more renters." Once control shifted to the Democrats, Frank was able to help guide both the Federal Housing Reform Act (H.R. 1427) and the Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act (H.R. 3915) to passage in 2007. Frank also said that the Republican-led Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act of 1999, which repealed part of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933 and removed the wall between commercial and investment banks, contributed to the financial meltdown. Frank further stated that "during twelve years of Republican rule no reform was adopted regarding Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. In 2007, a few months after I became the Chairman, the House passed a strong reform bill; we sought to get the [Bush] administration's approval to include it in the economic stimulus legislation in January 2008; and finally got it passed and onto President Bush's desk in July 2008. Moreover, "we were able to adopt it in nineteen months, and we could have done it much quicker if the [Bush] administration had cooperated."

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:07 am

Why didn't you provide your source?

Obviously it is not an objective source because it doesn't mention that the Senate voted for the repeal of Glass-Steagall 90-8. I'm pretty sure there weren't 90 Republican senators at the time.

And I am pretty sure the president at the time, who had to offer his autograph for the law to pass, had a D in front of his name.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:28 am

You should have posted this part of the article rather than nitpicking the pieces that fit your ideology:

Quote:
Fannie Mae and Freddie MacIn 2003, while the ranking minority member on the Financial Services Committee, Frank opposed a Bush administration proposal, in response to accounting scandals, for transferring oversight of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac from Congress and the Department of Housing and Urban Development to a new agency that would be created within the Treasury Department. The proposal, supported by the head of Fannie Mae, reflected the administration's belief that Congress "neither has the tools, nor the stature" for adequate oversight. Frank stated, "These two entities ...are not facing any kind of financial crisis ... The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing."[62] In 2003, Frank also stated what has been called his "famous dice roll":[63] "I do not want the same kind of focus on safety and soundness [in the regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac] that we have in the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Office of Thrift Supervision. I want to roll the dice a little bit more in this situation towards subsidised housing."[64]

So, further proof that the Bush Administration wanted to create tighter oversight on Fannie and Freddie and the Democrats opposed it. And they didn't see a problem with what Fannie and Freddie were doing while Republicans did.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:44 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I knew Bush and the Repubs wanted tighter regulations, I just always thought they let it slip by without fighting it as hard as they should have. Kind of a kick the can down the road approach.

Barney Frank and Chris Dodd should have been investigated. Of all elected officials in the US I think Barney Frank is the worst. A good "politician", a miserable, despicable person.

Its funny how you never hear Clinton's name yet his actions opened the door even further for this disaster.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:40 pm

jammer wrote:
Its funny how you never hear Clinton's name yet his actions opened the door even further for this disaster.

Yup. The repeal of Glass-Steagall was signed into law by Clinton, opening the door for commercial and investment banks to work under the same umbrella, which led to credit default swaps, mortgage backed securities and AIG over-leveraging itself and almost bringing down the entire economy with it.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Frank also said that the Republican-led Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act of 1999, which repealed part of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933 and removed the wall between commercial and investment banks, contributed to the financial meltdown. Frank further stated that "during twelve years of Republican rule no reform was adopted regarding Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:
Frank also said that the Republican-led Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act of 1999, which repealed part of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933 and removed the wall between commercial and investment banks, contributed to the financial meltdown. Frank further stated that "during twelve years of Republican rule no reform was adopted regarding Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

Frank also said Fannie and Freddie were not in any financial trouble. Should he be the trusted voice of this or any conversation?

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:59 pm

Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:

Again, the Senate voted 90-8 for the repeal to pass, so Democrats supported it as well.

And a DEMOCRAT President signed it into law. As hard as that may be to grasp, it's factual.

And DEMOCRATS zealously worked to prevent any additional regulation of Fannie or Freddie, killing any bills in committee before they ever made the floor of the House or Senate.

It's also no coincidence that most of the people that have been in charge of Fannie or Freddie over the years have wound up having some sort of connection to the Obama Administration or even being nominated to cabinet positions.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:56 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
during twelve years of Republican rule no reform was adopted regarding Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

I guess i should have done just one sentence at a time so you could comprehend..

You started out blaming Frank and the democrats now it was republicans who voted on it
(90 votes during a republican majority)..... And then when in charge for 12 years did nothing about it...Hmmmm, how blind are you.

Barney Frank tried to stop the bleeding and W and his bankers would not hear of it. The bills were listed.(Oh and lets not pretend Bush didn't have the bankers on his staff or Enron for that matter)

Also what has also been explained to you is that you guys bad mouth Obama for not having experience (He was a senator) but some how Herman Cain is the man with zero experience..Well he did lose a campaign once...That would make a great president.

Just like all teabaggers you guys are all over the place.

Oh and and just before the country had the worst collapse in it's history it was W who said the economy is in great shape...Well he also said mission accomplished before the war was near being over.Or was that pandering too.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Republican-led Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act of 1999

Oh and Rich how surprised were you about the claim it was from a biased source only to find out it was from the same source you yourself used :)

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

8 of the 9 Nay votes were who?...But the republicans are not responsible?

Abraham (R-MI), Yea
Akaka (D-HI), Yea
Allard (R-CO), Yea
Ashcroft (R-MO), Yea
Baucus (D-MT), Yea
Bayh (D-IN), Yea
Bennett (R-UT), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Yea
Bingaman (D-NM), Yea
Bond (R-MO), Yea
Boxer (D-CA), Nay
Breaux (D-LA), Yea
Brownback (R-KS), Yea
Bryan (D-NV), Nay
Bunning (R-KY), Yea
Burns (R-MT), Yea
Byrd (D-WV), Yea
Campbell (R-CO), Yea
Chafee, L. (R-RI), Yea
Cleland (D-GA), Yea
Cochran (R-MS), Yea
Collins (R-ME), Yea
Conrad (D-ND), Yea
Coverdell (R-GA), Yea
Craig (R-ID), Yea
Crapo (R-ID), Yea
Daschle (D-SD), Yea
DeWine (R-OH), Yea
Dodd (D-CT), Yea
Domenici (R-NM), Yea
Dorgan (D-ND), Nay
Durbin (D-IL), Yea
Edwards (D-NC), Yea
Enzi (R-WY), Yea
Feingold (D-WI), Nay
Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
Fitzgerald (R-IL), Present
Frist (R-TN), Yea
Gorton (R-WA), Yea
Graham (D-FL), Yea
Gramm (R-TX), Yea
Grams (R-MN), Yea
Grassley (R-IA), Yea
Gregg (R-NH), Yea
Hagel (R-NE), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Nay
Hatch (R-UT), Yea
Helms (R-NC), Yea
Hollings (D-SC), Yea
Hutchinson (R-AR), Yea
Hutchison (R-TX), Yea
Inhofe (R-OK), Yea
Inouye (D-HI), Yea
Jeffords (R-VT), Yea
Johnson (D-SD), Yea
Kennedy (D-MA), Yea
Kerrey (D-NE), Yea
Kerry (D-MA), Yea
Kohl (D-WI), Yea
Kyl (R-AZ), Yea
Landrieu (D-LA), Yea
Lautenberg (D-NJ), Yea
Leahy (D-VT), Yea
Levin (D-MI), Yea
Lieberman (D-CT), Yea
Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
Lott (R-MS), Yea
Lugar (R-IN), Yea
Mack (R-FL), Yea
McCain (R-AZ), Not Voting
McConnell (R-KY), Yea
Mikulski (D-MD), Nay
Moynihan (D-NY), Yea
Murkowski (R-AK), Yea
Murray (D-WA), Yea
Nickles (R-OK), Yea
Reed (D-RI), Yea
Reid (D-NV), Yea
Robb (D-VA), Yea
Roberts (R-KS), Yea
Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
Roth (R-DE), Yea
Santorum (R-PA), Yea
Sarbanes (D-MD), Yea
Schumer (D-NY), Yea
Sessions (R-AL), Yea
Shelby (R-AL), Nay
Smith (R-NH), Yea
Smith (R-OR), Yea
Snowe (R-ME), Yea
Specter (R-PA), Yea
Stevens (R-AK), Yea
Thomas (R-WY), Yea
Thompson (R-TN), Yea
Thurmond (R-SC), Yea
Torricelli (D-NJ), Yea
Voinovich (R-OH), Yea
Warner (R-VA), Yea
Wellstone (D-MN), Nay
Wyden (D-OR), Yea

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:
during twelve years of Republican rule no reform was adopted regarding Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

I guess i should have done just one sentence at a time so you could comprehend..

You started out blaming Frank and the democrats now it was republicans who voted on it
(90 votes during a republican majority)..... And then when in charge for 12 years did nothing about it...Hmmmm, how blind are you.

Barney Frank tried to stop the bleeding and W and his bankers would not hear of it. The bills were listed.(Oh and lets not pretend Bush didn't have the bankers on his staff or Enron for that matter)

Also what has also been explained to you is that you guys bad mouth Obama for not having experience (He was a senator) but some how Herman Cain is the man with zero experience..Well he did lose a campaign once...That would make a great president.

Just like all teabaggers you guys are all over the place.

Oh and and just before the country had the worst collapse in it's history it was W who said the economy is in great shape...Well he also said mission accomplished before the war was near being over.Or was that pandering too.

Perhaps one of the most pathetic posts I've ever seen on these boards. Sounds like it was written by a 12 year old who thinks he can take bits of trivia and somehow weave it into a narrative that makes sense. Not even worth debating because you take MSNBC talking points and act as though they qualify you as informed.

I apologize if it seems like a personal attack, but you obviously have no respect for differing opinions. Try reading about Barney Frank's history and ties to Fannie Mae, the enormous contributions he received from them, and his history of twisting the truth.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:40 pm

Kev1321 wrote:

Let's test your reading comprehension.

Do you know what the purpose of repealing Glass Steagall was?

Quote:

Who said Cain would be a great president? Find the quote.

Quote:

And this has to do exactly what with anything?

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:41 am

Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:

Oh and Rich how surprised were you about the claim it was from a biased source only to find out it was from the same source you yourself used :)

I used it on purpose to demonstrate that you pick and choose what is convenient for your argument. You're not interested in intelligent discussion or fact.

You must be an ex-ACORN employee.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:43 am

Kev1321 wrote:

Who said Republicans weren't responsible?

You're the ones saying they were SOLELY responsible.

It is a shared responsibility, unlike the Obamacare monstrosity.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:44 am

jammer wrote:
Perhaps one of the most pathetic posts I've ever seen on these boards. Sounds like it was written by a 12 year old who thinks he can take bits of trivia and somehow weave it into a narrative that makes sense.

That is an insult to 12 year olds. I'm also starting to wonder if Kev is Michael Moore.

"I'm not one of the 1%!

But you're worth $30 - $50 million.

Uh...that's not true! I am not one of the 1%!!".

Quote:
Not even worth debating because you take MSNBC talking points and act as though they qualify you as informed.

He thinks Fannie/Freddie and the repeal of Glass-Steagall have something to do with each other.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:48 am

Bill Clinton on the repeal of Glass-Steagall.

Quote:
In BusinessWeek.com, Maria Bartiromo reports that she asked the former President last week whether he regretted signing that legislation. Mr. Clinton’s reply: “No, because it wasn’t a complete deregulation at all. We still have heavy regulations and insurance on bank deposits, requirements on banks for capital and for disclosure. I thought at the time that it might lead to more stable investments and a reduced pressure on Wall Street to produce quarterly profits that were always bigger than the previous quarter.
“But I have really thought about this a lot. I don’t see that signing that bill had anything to do with the current crisis. Indeed, one of the things that has helped stabilize the current situation as much as it has is the purchase of Merrill Lynch by Bank of America, which was much smoother than it would have been if I hadn’t signed that bill.”

Doh! The most popular, effective Democrat president this side of FDR doesn't blame the bill sponsored by Republicans (and supported by a majority of Democrats and a Democrat president).

Will Kev turn on one of his heroes? Stay tuned for the next episode of "Jersey Shore".

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/10/01/t ... all-dodge/

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:50 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
He thinks Fannie/Freddie and the repeal of Glass-Steagall have something to do with each other.

And thats the point. Its like lets throw in those two issues and George Bush claiming victory over Hussein's army and I'll somehow show those Obama haters! What the heck point does it prove?

Barney Frank blatanly lied about Fannie and Freddie's troubles, strong armed banks to lend the money to unqualified borrowers, received sizeable campaign contributions from Fannie, and happened to be dating a guy who was working with Fannie at the time. Seriously, a little bit of homework goes a long way.

The best part is the tea baggers remark. When you resort to that you lose all credibility because your objective is not to discuss but rather simply dismiss other points of you.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:02 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
Barney Frank blatanly lied about Fannie and Freddie's troubles, strong armed banks to lend the money to unqualified borrowers, received sizeable campaign contributions from Fannie, and happened to be dating a guy who was working with Fannie at the time. Seriously, a little bit of homework goes a long way.

The best part is the tea baggers remark. When you resort to that you lose all credibility because your objective is not to discuss but rather simply dismiss other points of you.

The best part is you resort to MSNBC remarks..How pathetic are you....You have no basis..I did not quote MSNBC.MSNBC has nothing to do with it..But thats what you fox news people do..

And if you could read you would understand what Frank did. i posted it 3 times but you are lost in a fox news fog over contributions...Like Enron didn't contribute to Bush and his boys..
Quote:
"If it had passed, that would have been one of the ways we could have reined in the bowling ball going downhill called housing," Oxley told Frank. In an op-ed piece in the Wall Street Journal, Lawrence B. Lindsey, a former economic adviser to President George W. Bush, wrote that Frank "is the only politician I know who has argued that we needed tighter rules that intentionally produce fewer homeowners and more renters." Once control shifted to the Democrats, Frank was able to help guide both the Federal Housing Reform Act (H.R. 1427) and the Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act (H.R. 3915) to passage in 2007. Frank also said that the Republican-led Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act of 1999, which repealed part of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933 and removed the wall between commercial and investment banks, contributed to the financial meltdown. Frank further stated that "during twelve years of Republican rule no reform was adopted regarding Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

[b]Frank blatanly lied about Fannie and Freddie's troubles, strong armed banks to lend the money to unqualified borrowers[/b]

So where are these lies ? You have produced none.

Hello Mcfly...
Quote:
Lawrence B. Lindsey, a former economic adviser to President George W. Bush, wrote that Frank "is the only politician I know who has argued that we needed tighter rules that intentionally produce fewer homeowners and more renters."

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:39 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:

I used it on purpose to demonstrate that you pick and choose what is convenient for your argument. You're not interested in intelligent discussion or fact.

You must be an ex-ACORN employee.

NO!

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:44 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Who said Republicans weren't responsible?

You're the ones saying they were SOLELY responsible.

It is a shared responsibility, unlike the Obamacare monstrosity.

Because Barney Fwank was being blamed..Comprehension again

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:47 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:
Perhaps one of the most pathetic posts I've ever seen on these boards. Sounds like it was written by a 12 year old who thinks he can take bits of trivia and somehow weave it into a narrative that makes sense.

That is an insult to 12 year olds. I'm also starting to wonder if Kev is Michael Moore.

"I'm not one of the 1%!

But you're worth $30 - $50 million.

Uh...that's not true! I am not one of the 1%!!".

Quote:
Not even worth debating because you take MSNBC talking points and act as though they qualify you as informed.

What does Moorer have to do with it?

And don't tell what i think....

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:49 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Bill Clinton on the repeal of Glass-Steagall.

Quote:
In BusinessWeek.com, Maria Bartiromo reports that she asked the former President last week whether he regretted signing that legislation. Mr. Clinton’s reply: “No, because it wasn’t a complete deregulation at all. We still have heavy regulations and insurance on bank deposits, requirements on banks for capital and for disclosure. I thought at the time that it might lead to more stable investments and a reduced pressure on Wall Street to produce quarterly profits that were always bigger than the previous quarter.
“But I have really thought about this a lot. I don’t see that signing that bill had anything to do with the current crisis. Indeed, one of the things that has helped stabilize the current situation as much as it has is the purchase of Merrill Lynch by Bank of America, which was much smoother than it would have been if I hadn’t signed that bill.”

Doh! The most popular, effective Democrat president this side of FDR doesn't blame the bill sponsored by Republicans (and supported by a majority of Democrats and a Democrat president).

Will Kev turn on one of his heroes? Stay tuned for the next episode of "Jersey Shore".

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/10/01/t ... all-dodge/

Now i thought you just said both sides were to blame?? and it was us who were blamming the republicans..

I just simply posted what is fact that Frank(the guy that you are blaming for the entire housing problem)was actually trying to fix it but the Bush lead republican senate would have nothing of it.
All you had to do was read. Without fox news blinders

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKH5rLVhxK4

Oh that Fox News...Talk about lies!!!!!!!

Hey you can't fake this stuff!

Unbiased...What a joke....

This must be hard for you to watch i understand but man it is funny as hell

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:02 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
The best part is you resort to MSNBC remarks..How pathetic are you....You have no basis..I did not quote MSNBC.MSNBC has nothing to do with it..But thats what you fox news people do..

And if you could read you would understand what Frank did. i posted it 3 times but you are lost in a fox news fog over contributions...Like Enron didn't contribute to Bush and his boys..
Quote:
"If it had passed, that would have been one of the ways we could have reined in the bowling ball going downhill called housing," Oxley told Frank. In an op-ed piece in the Wall Street Journal, Lawrence B. Lindsey, a former economic adviser to President George W. Bush, wrote that Frank "is the only politician I know who has argued that we needed tighter rules that intentionally produce fewer homeowners and more renters." Once control shifted to the Democrats, Frank was able to help guide both the Federal Housing Reform Act (H.R. 1427) and the Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act (H.R. 3915) to passage in 2007. Frank also said that the Republican-led Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act of 1999, which repealed part of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933 and removed the wall between commercial and investment banks, contributed to the financial meltdown. Frank further stated that "during twelve years of Republican rule no reform was adopted regarding Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

[b]Frank blatanly lied about Fannie and Freddie's troubles, strong armed banks to lend the money to unqualified borrowers[/b]

So where are these lies ? You have produced none.

Hello Mcfly...
Quote:
Lawrence B. Lindsey, a former economic adviser to President George W. Bush, wrote that Frank "is the only politician I know who has argued that we needed tighter rules that intentionally produce fewer homeowners and more renters."

Its a called a taste of your own medicine.

Using op-ed pieces to support your arguments does squat. Seriously, should I start using Karl Rove opinion pieces to refute you?

Frank stood up in front of Congress in 2004 and said Fannie and Freddie were not in trouble. That is called a lie. Merriam Webster can help if you still don't understand it.

Funny how Frank's Financial Overhaul did not include Fannie or Freddie.

Can you please understand that the Community Reinvestment Act which Frank used to pressure banks to grant easier loan access is different from the Glass Steagall Act, which was repealed but a bi-partisan majority, including Frank's partner in crime, Chris Dodd, who you generously pointed to voting in favor of the repeal.

You're arguing a combination of issues and using opinion pieces to act as though you have some higher level of knowledge than those who disagree with you.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:03 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

(CBS/AP) Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly said Thursday he and a former producer of his talk show have agreed to settle their legal dispute over her allegations of sexual harassment, and his accusations that she was trying to shake him down.

"This brutal ordeal is now officially over, and I will never speak of it again," he said on his talk show, "The O'Reilly Factor."

Andrea Mackris, 33, who was a producer on the show, filed a lawsuit against the top-rated TV host Oct. 13, alleging O'Reilly made a series of explicit phone calls to her, advised her to use a vibrator and told her about sexual fantasies involving her.

The New York Daily News, citing unidentified sources, reported that O'Reilly had agreed to pay Mackris anywhere from $2 million to $10 million. Separately, the New York Post said it was believed that O'Reilly paid "multimillions of dollars" to settle the suit

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:06 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Can you please understand that the Community Reinvestment Act which Frank used to pressure banks to grant easier loan access is different from the Glass Steagall Act, which was repealed but a bi-partisan majority, including Frank's partner in crime, Chris Dodd, who you generously pointed to voting in favor of the repeal.

Frank did what? thats funny.. a little op-ed
And where did i combine the 2 again as if it were the same?

Frank tried to stop preditory lending....What don't you understand about that? Even a Bush man told you that..

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Frank stood up in front of Congress in 2004 and said Fannie and Freddie were not in trouble. That is called a lie. Merriam Webster can help if you still don't understand it.

So when Bush said mission accomplshed was that a lie?

When Bush said the economy was doing fine just before historic collapse. was that a lie?

Understand Rich?

This is the 2nd time.....
Quote:
Quote:

Do we need to slow down for you here?

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:19 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Frank tried to stop predatory lending after he opened the doorway for it. Thats the point. Just because he keeps referring to predatory lending doesn't mean he didn't have a hand in it. He keeps pointing to Glass Stegall because a focus on that paints the lenders as the complete problem when maybe they shouldn't have been told to lend in the first place via the Community Reinvestment Act.

Ever notice how all of this Barney Frank reform work came after the realization that a mortgage bubble was about to burst? Its called cleaning up a mess you helped create but not accepting responsibility or admitting mistakes.

As for your O'Reilly thing, is that an attempt to distract from the issue of the thread? Would you prefer I pull up the Al Sharpton-Tawana Brawley scandal to discredit left leaning talking heads? Seriously man, stick to the issues.

And no I don't care what a Bush advisor is quoted as saying in an op-ed piece. Again, just because Karl Rove tells me Republican politicians are the champions of some issue doesn't mean I take his word as gospel.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:

So when Bush said mission accomplshed was that a lie?

When Bush said the economy was doing fine just before historic collapse. was that a lie?

Understand Rich?

This is the 2nd time.....
Quote:
Quote:

Do we need to slow down for you here?

Bush said mission accomplished when they completely defeated Saddam's military forces. It was actually a truth and completely seperate from non-military uprisings that followed. Sorry, but that is a bad example.

As for Bush saying that in 2008, I don't recall a particular speech so you'll have to provide the quote. If he did then shame on him. But how is that similar to Barney Frank saying the Fannie and Freddie can back loans being made to people with horrendous credit and should not qualify for a mortgage? What the heck did he think was going to happen?

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/art ... e_freddie/

Take from this article whatever you want. It simply proves Frank was far more involved in the problem than you are willing to admit and that while this was a bi-partisan mess, he tried to stop Republicans from correcting it earlier in the decade.

And the Boston Globe is actually a left leaning newspaper.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next