View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 We screwed up, Boldin was worth that all day long 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post We screwed up, Boldin was worth that all day long
A 3rd and a 4th????

We BLEW a 2nd and 3rd last year on White and Turner. Are you kidding???? We should have offered that all day long. If they think they are going to get ANYWHERE near that production from a drat pick, the Trifecta is dumber than I feared.

Bad move. We BETTER get a freaking FA WR, and a GOOD ONE.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:14 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: We screwed up, Boldin was worth that all day long
It was a 3rd and a 4th and a huge contract(4 yrs 28 Million). The Ravens got Boldin and a 5th round pick. In all it was too much for the Dolphins who have so many other needs.

Last edited by bobby0112 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:39 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

great pick up for baltimore, something just seems right about that hard nose WR going to the ravens. And now with Stalworth and Boldin, Flacco just got a chubby

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:41 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Yes Baltiimore is a good team who just got better but I would not lose sleep about not getting Boldin. I know we need to upgrade at receiver but with the contract that went along with him I dont mind passing on this one. Also just a feeling here but all these Cardinals guys ... they were a great unit while together , I think you will see individually they will not flourish as well.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

dolphinjim wrote:
A 3rd and a 4th????

We BLEW a 2nd and 3rd last year on White and Turner. Are you kidding???? We should have offered that all day long. If they think they are going to get ANYWHERE near that production from a drat pick, the Trifecta is dumber than I feared.

:dance: Happy Dance Time Its finally over.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:50 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Phins still need a NT, S, OLB's, WR & TE. Some of these will come from free agency and some will come from the draft. Its hard to justify giving up two picks and $28 million in exchange for 1 29 yr old WR and a 5th round pick. The overall price to get him was too much. Miami needs to continue to draft to fill most of these needs. And you need draft choices to do that. I understand your frustration completely. I really wanted to see Boldin come to Miami. But I understand that the price to get him exceeded what Miami could pay.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:03 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I wanted Boldin ---but the picks and money where too much we need more then just a number 1 WR --- i have fate they will get one Dansby at LB is a start

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:
The Phins still need a NT, S, OLB's, WR & TE. Some of these will come from free agency and some will come from the draft. Its hard to justify giving up two picks and $28 million in exchange for 1 29 yr old WR and a 5th round pick. The overall price to get him was too much. Miami needs to continue to draft to fill most of these needs. And you need draft choices to do that. I understand your frustration completely. I really wanted to see Boldin come to Miami. But I understand that the price to get him exceeded what Miami could pay.
For the position Balt is in I think it was a good move.

For a team like Miami. It would have been a bad move.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:08 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Boldin is not a #1 reciever. He has a huge contract and is injury prone. Did I mention he is old as well? Please guys, get it over it, it was a good "non" signing. Put the Madden videogames down, we can't have every FA out there, it's a business as well.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:23 am

Makchell wrote:
Boldin is not a #1 reciever. He has a huge contract and is injury prone. Did I mention he is old as well? Please guys, get it over it, it was a good "non" signing. Put the Madden videogames down, we can't have every FA out there, it's a business as well.

Yep , sometimes its also about the guys you did not sign.

BTW - I know its the Lions but anyone else like their moves??

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:26 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell: You said it best, Boldin is NOT a number one play making type wide receiver, so I personally dont lose any sleep on Miami not signing him.

Now, selfishly, I still wish Brandon Marshall was our guy, but it appears Seattle is flying him out and will probably not let him leave until a trade is worked out.

Hopefully, we dont lose out on both Marshall and Dez Bryant as I am quite sure Denver will acquire Bryant if they trade Marshall.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:49 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

We don't know for sure if he isn't a WR1 yet because he's spent his career opposite of Fitzgerald. Some could make the argument that Warner liked Boldin more & he couldve been better if used differently. Put whatever label on him that you like but until you see Anquan as the feature in Baltimore, we just don't know.
Also, keep in mind, until we see what we do with these draft picks we couldve traded its hard to say. But I know what dolphinjim is saying. A lot of us want to win now & we hope that its one key player that can make the difference toward a post season run. I'm with DJ. Theres a good chance the impact made by Boldin will be greater over the next 2 seasons then the 2 guys that we will draft with our 3rd & 4th pick
I got faith in our FO tho. Hoping they got something up their sleeve. Its apparent theyre slick because everyone we've been listed as "interested in" has gone for a higher then expected payment. (I dreamed of getting Boldin for a 4th & joey. Bah!)

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:17 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

dolphinjim wrote:
A 3rd and a 4th????

So what happens if we trade those picks, sign him to that contract and he is injured for a good part of the season or in the playoffs?

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:03 pm

FINesse wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Yep , sometimes its also about the guys you did not sign.

BTW - I know its the Lions but anyone else like their moves??

I liked their moves a lot. If they draft a young DT in either Suh or McCoy, I think that they're defense could be respectful enough that the offense can win them a few games.

Stafford to Calvin Johnson was really never able to get started up last season, but I think they could have a great year this season. I like the direction they are going in.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I can see it now....

Marshall to Seattle. Dez Bryant to Denver. We wait till the 4th round to draft a WR, who doesn't make the team. In the first three rounds, we draft a big slab of DL beef (I fear it might be that mountain of a man Cody....who then eats his way out of the lineup)...a safety (anyone we take is bound to be an upgrade over the departed Gibril Wilson).....and a linebacker (not McLain).

Result....

We still don't put enough pressure on the passer. Our 2 year corners and rookie safety still get beat often. Our run defense markedly improves, so teams throw on us even more. Our running game is good, but injuries and age take their toll before the season is half over. Our wide receivers are still sub-par. Bess catches 100 + balls for less than 10 yards per catch. Hartline is the lone bright spot....but he still is not a #1 receiver. It is hard to sustain long drives consistently. We don't get "chunk" yardage. We finish something like 9-7 and watching the playoffs at home with the hope that next year, we will turn the corner.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:16 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I can see it now....

Marshall to Seattle. Dez Bryant to Denver. We wait till the 4th round to draft a WR, who doesn't make the team. In the first three rounds, we draft a big slab of DL beef (I fear it might be that mountain of a man Cody....who then eats his way out of the lineup)...a safety (anyone we take is bound to be an upgrade over the departed Gibril Wilson).....and a linebacker (not McLain).

Result....

We still don't put enough pressure on the passer. Our 2 year corners and rookie safety still get beat often. Our run defense markedly improves, so teams throw on us even more. Our running game is good, but injuries and age take their toll before the season is half over. Our wide receivers are still sub-par. Bess catches 100 + balls for less than 10 yards per catch. Hartline is the lone bright spot....but he still is not a #1 receiver. It is hard to sustain long drives consistently. We don't get "chunk" yardage. We finish something like 9-7 and watching the playoffs at home with the hope that next year, we will turn the corner.

I can see it now, and you have to ask yourself, would it be any different than has been for decades? I'm so used to losing, I don't know what I would do if we actually did something right.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:20 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Agreed, We need a veteran #1, takes too long to develop a Rookie. The time is now

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:26 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MiaFins1 wrote:
I wanted Boldin ---but the picks and money where too much we need more then just a number 1 WR --- i have fate they will get one Dansby at LB is a start

If we're not going to pay for a true #1 WR, something we clearly need to bring us to the next level, who do we pay for?

A 3 and 4 + 7 mil a year is just fine for a true #1. You have to pay someone, if not your #1 receiver, who?

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:28 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
I can see it now, and you have to ask yourself, would it be any different than has been for decades? I'm so used to losing, I don't know what I would do if we actually did something right.

I agree Phin. Sometimes the truth is a hard pill to swallow. Great Points!

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:08 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

You loose your second & 3rd, but gain a 1st round caliber WR & 5th round pic...
-
Seems like a good deal to me....

So in the end, what exactly are the fins going to gain by this? Keep an eye on the 2nd & 3rd round pics, and see what we lossed/gained in this deal

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:37 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

eleaf wrote:

If we're not going to pay for a true #1 WR, something we clearly need to bring us to the next level, who do we pay for?

A 3 and 4 + 7 mil a year is just fine for a true #1. You have to pay someone, if not your #1 receiver, who?
Boldin is not a true No. 1 Wr. & is injury plagued.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]