View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Bill Parcells Draft History for the 1st Round 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Bill Parcells Draft History for the 1st Round
Quote:
Bill Parcells Draft History for the 1st Round

NYG1986 - PICK 19 Eric Dorsey - Position DE - Notre Dame
NYG1987 - PICK 28 Mark Ingram - Position WR - Michigan State
NYG1988 - PICK 10 Eric Moore - Position T - Indiana
NYG1989 - PICK 18 Brian Williams - Position - C - Minnesota
NYG1990 - PICK 24 Rodney Hampton - Position RB - Georgia
NE1993 - PICK 1 Drew Bledsoe - Position QB - Washington State
NE1994 - PICK 4 Willie McGinest - Position OLB - USC
NE1995 - PICK 23 Ty Law - Position CB - Michigan
NE1996 - PICK 7 Terry Glenn - Position WR - Ohio State
NYJ1997 - PICK 8 James Farrior - Position OLB - Virginia
NYJ1998 - No first round pick
NYJ1999 - No first round pick
DAL2003 - PICK 5 Terence Newman - Position CB - Kansas State
DAL2004 - No first round pick
DAL2005 - PICK 11 DeMarcus Ware - Position OLB - Troy State
DAL2005 - PICK 20 Marcus Spears - Position DE - Louisiana State
DAL2006 - PICK 18 Bobby Carpenter - Position LB - Ohio State
MIA2008 - PICK 1 Jake Long - Position OT - Michigan
MIA2009 - PICK 25 Vontae Davis - Position CB - Illinois

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/19987251

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:56 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Bill Parcells Draft History for the 1st Round
Terry Glenn was Bob Krafts draft pick and the reason BP parted ways with the Patsies...

His rep tells most we wont see a WR in round one unless its a player you just dont want to pass on. Specially considering the fact that Miami has more needs than just WR... Loosing a Probowl OLB, JT being a ? whether or not they take him back, and being weak in the 2ndary with the loss of Jones & Wilson I think our chances of seeing any WR in the first round is very slim....

I was thinking some other scenarios this am.. Just my thoughts tho, nothing more...

Sean Smith moving to safety? Is it an option.....

Opens up the avenue of maybe looking into the CB/S position...

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:35 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

You don't want Smith at Safety... it's been said 20 times on this board but people still try to talk about it... he is not a great tackler... and you don't want that in a safety. *sigh*

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:46 am
Phinfever FFL Commish
Phinfever FFL Commish

To be honest, I wouldn't might grabbing Dez Bryant if he's still there. But I imagine we'll go defense in the first round. With the Fergusen suspension, Nose tackle is turning out to be a huge need.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:13 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Yea I don't think anyone would call Bill's drafting style Sexy. Its why I doubt we'll see CJ or Dez.

Looking at the list, those OLBs stand out to me. Maybe Kindle will sort with them

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:16 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

If any player moves to safety, it would be Vontae Davis and that move will not happen until many years down the line.

Sean Smith is a putrid tackler, and while he has very good ball skills, he would also be your last line of defense and he does not tackle. He also needs to get stronger and I know the coaches will be getting on him to be more physical in the run game and improve as a tackler.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:17 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

It's not even that he's not a good tackler.....He's a good CB! Why move him to safety??

People look at a guy like Antrel Rolle and think that it's all of a sudden a great idea to make CB's into safety's....Rolle moved to safety because he suckes at CB. It was a desperation move. Sean Smith is going to be a very good CB, and his great coverage skills are already evident.

No need what-so-ever to convert anybody to FS right now. These types of things usually don't workout. Plus yeah, the guy isn't a good enough tackler...

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:39 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Your realistic options for the 12th pick are Dan Williams, Sergio Kindle, Brandon Graham and Earl Thomas (probably in that order too).

Didnt include Dez Bryant because I dont see him still on the board at 12. If Miami is concerned about a playmaking WR with their 1st rounder they have a better shot at making a trade. Cue the land of make believe music...I guess I could envision something like the 12th pick and Ted Ginn for Miles Austin and Bobby Carpenter while swapping something like 4th round picks. I invite the WTF! comments. Only logic behind it is Parcells wanting two guys he brought in who are entering their prime years and fill two positions of need (WR and OLB). For Dallas, they have to be sure that Williams, Ogletree and Crayton are enough for Romo and that Ginn adds the deep threat.

Back to reality. I see it going down as either

1st - Dan Williams
2nd - Ricky Sapp

1st - Sergio Kindle/Brandon Graham (uggh I'll throw Pierre-Paul in there)
2nd - Cam Thomas

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:53 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Parcells does love to draft outside linebackers in the first round. I do not see one DT drafted in the first round. Is that a Parcells' thing? My money is on a DE/OLB tweener.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:37 pm
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
Parcells does love to draft outside linebackers in the first round. I do not see one DT drafted in the first round. Is that a Parcells' thing? My money is on a DE/OLB tweener.

Here's a list of all the DT's Bill Parcells has drafted in his entire career (Only two 2nd rounders, and no 1st rounders):
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/dra ... n=32&pc=77

Here is a list of all the LB's he's drafted (This list doesn't even include pass rushing OLB's like DeMarcus Ware and Willie McGinest):
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/dra ... n=30&pc=77

I'm with you Dave. I'm thinking it is going to be OLB in round 1.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

A lot of Big Ten guys ;)

Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I predict we draft a big and fat defensive lineman at #12. We then draft a linebacker/safety in the 2nd round and a linebacker or safety (the position we didn't take in the 2nd) in the 3rd round. In the 4th round, we draft a WR and pray he is even half as good as Hartline. The defense in 2010 improves to 13th in the league and the offense will be more putrid than last year's.

We probably need to use our highest defensive pick for a safety.....that is where we got roasted last year.....but I doubt we do that.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:44 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I predict we draft a big and fat defensive lineman at #12. We then draft a linebacker/safety in the 2nd round and a linebacker or safety (the position we didn't take in the 2nd) in the 3rd round. In the 4th round, we draft a WR and pray he is even half as good as Hartline. The defense in 2010 improves to 13th in the league and the offense will be more putrid than last year's.

We probably need to use our highest defensive pick for a safety.....that is where we got roasted last year.....but I doubt we do that.

How would our offense be worse than last year?

Because our young QB will be even better?
Because our young O-line will be even better and more cohesive (and hopefully healthier)?
Because our young WR's will be even better?
Because our young TE will be even better?

Yeah....all our young upcoming players will take a step back.....this offense isn't progressing, it's degressing because we don't have a number 1 WR. :hithead:

Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Our offense went from 12th in 2008 to 17th in 2009. I would call that regressing. We even added one quality WR with Hartline and started a QB with an arm to throw deep, and with the 4th ranked rushing attack to take some heat off him....and we still finished 17th in total offense. Yuck. Get some play makers for a change. All the good teams have them.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:03 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Our offense went from 12th in 2008 to 17th in 2009. I would call that regressing. We even added one quality WR with Hartline and started a QB with an arm to throw deep, and with the 4th ranked rushing attack to take some heat off him....and we still finished 17th in total offense. Yuck. Get some play makers for a change. All the good teams have them.

The offense 2008, who stayed nearly completely healthy in 2008 scored 21.5 PPG.

The offense in 2009, whose starting QB got hurt, star RB got hurt, whole O-line basically go down, starting TE miss a few games, 3rd down RB go down, scored 22.5 PPG.

Yeah, the offense really regressed...

Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:39 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I ran across this website that tracked the Entire Parcells/Ireland era in Dallas by draft choices in each rd since 2002, Ireland's first yr with a "power position" in the NFL:

http://fftoday.com/nfl/drafttracker.php ... eamID=9014

Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Went from 12th to 17th in what category? Yards gained? Because Miami played crap teams in 2008 and we all know that. In 2008 the whole offense stayed healthy.
In 2009, Ronnie went down, Pennington went down, Cobbs went down, Fasano sucked, Carey got hurt, they changed guards maybe 5 times due to injuries.

And, as Phins Rock noted, still scored more points than in 2008. Miami can SCORE....what part of that don't you understand?
They held on to the ball for 4 years against Indianapolis, yet still lost. Why? Because they don't have a number 1 receiver? NO! Because the defense gave up touchdowns on virtually every Colts drive.
Miami dominated the Saints physically, and scored what, 30+ points? Still lost...let's fault the offense, shall we?
This teams scores slowly, they score quickly, they score early, they score late. The defense simply couldn't stop other teams from running the scoreboard. Week in and week out the defense was awful.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:10 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

id love to trade up and nab eric berry, dude is going to be a stud. can only wish though...

:ann0y:

Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

rhoads30 wrote:
id love to trade up and nab eric berry,

I think the only guy I'd trade up for is Suh, but that is going to be ridiculously expensive in draft picks.

Supposedly this is a very good year as a lot of underclassmen are entering the draft because there is the rumor that there will be a rookie cap next year. I wouldn't be shocked to see us trade down to get another 2nd round pick.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:26 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Iowafin wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Went from 12th to 17th in what category? Yards gained? Because Miami played crap teams in 2008 and we all know that. In 2008 the whole offense stayed healthy.
In 2009, Ronnie went down, Pennington went down, Cobbs went down, Fasano sucked, Carey got hurt, they changed guards maybe 5 times due to injuries.

And, as Phins Rock noted, still scored more points than in 2008. Miami can SCORE....what part of that don't you understand?
They held on to the ball for 4 years against Indianapolis, yet still lost. Why? Because they don't have a number 1 receiver? NO! Because the defense gave up touchdowns on virtually every Colts drive.
Miami dominated the Saints physically, and scored what, 30+ points? Still lost...let's fault the offense, shall we?
This teams scores slowly, they score quickly, they score early, they score late. The defense simply couldn't stop other teams from running the scoreboard. Week in and week out the defense was awful.

Cheers! 3 of the 4 starting peices of the backfield were knocked out in 2009. And we were reduced to rotating cheerleaders in at guard. I would like to see a #1 wide receiver on our team, but defense is what failed us last year.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]