View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Free Agency, no time to panic 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Free Agency, no time to panic
Quote:
A survey of the landscape shows the Dolphins have needs at too many positions to solve all those needs through the draft.

They need a starting OLB, a NT, a starting FS, and, of course, a playmaker at WR. Always a playmaker at WR.

So what to do?

While Cincinnati is hosting both Antonio Bryant and Terrell Owens this week, while Seattle is studying Brandon Marshall, after Baltimore traded for Anquan Boldin and Kansas City signed Chris Chambers, the Dolphins have done nothing.
Bryant? He has had issues with his knees. His career byline is one of inconsistency and wearing out his coaches and his welcome. He also apparently would like a nice payday.

So maybe, just maybe, the Dolphins would best be served by sitting this one out if they have a plan. (God, please let them have a plan!)

The safety position is equally troubling because the Dolphins don't have a starter at the position. By their chase of both Rolle and Clark, the Dolphins have told everyone they don't think Chris Clemons is ready to be a starter and might never be. Remember, they offered those guys multi-year deals so the team was comfortable with Clemons not starting at FS for some time.

The problem is that the free agent options are running out. Darren Sharper is very, very, very productive but also older than Miami typically likes. He's also coming off knee surgery and reportedly isn't taking trips. O.J. Atogwe continues to be out there, but as of this writing, no contact from the Dolphins.

The Dolpins obviously didn't want to draft for this position. They might need to unless they can uncover a double-secret starting FS no one is aware of.
So why am I not crying "The Sky is falling" from my house top?

Two years ago, as the Steelers and Cards were preparing for a Super Bowl year, neither team signed a free agent early on. Last year at this team, neither the Colts nor the Saints signed a free agent early on.

Free agency is less than a week old. It is not Labor Day yet. The draft will plug some of these holes. And since this front office doesn't typically show desperation, neither will I. At least not yet. It is way too early for that.

Posted by Armando Salguero at 12:01 AM

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

Good article by Armando that I have to agree with. It's still early in the offseason and many teams are still uncertain of what their 53 man roster will look like. Players may become available that were previously unavailable, players may come into training camp with a chip on their shoulder and much improved from what they were last season. Now is not the time to panic, lets just let things run their course and hope for the best.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:35 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Free Agency, no time to panic
If free agency ended today, i would feel good about what we did, sharper would be a great mentor and ball hawk in the secondary. And our young guys could learn alot from him. But one way or another i like what our front office has done as a whole the past 3 years

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:34 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

To further the point - here's a piece from an article on PFT about the Phins not overbidding for safeties:

Quote:
Still, this isn't a matter of the Dolphins being cheap. They broke the bank for Dansby, whom they apparently believe will be an impact player. When it came to Rolle and Clark, they weren't willing to compete with the other offers. Absent the kind of desperation that has driven the Bears to overpay for multiple players, it makes no sense for a team that already is competitive to pay more than the team thinks it should to address a position that, in all fairness, isn't as critical as other aspects of the defense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/10/would-be-safeties-say-fins-were-playing-it-too-safe-financially/

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:19 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

There are still other FA's out there as well as tendered RFA's..

two UFA's I was wondering if we hear about are
Roy Williams 30 - Cinci
Sean Jones 28 - Philli

The Sharper deal sounds the best option to me so far, but he would obviously have to prove his knee will not affect his 2010 season.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:25 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

i don't see us going after Roy Williams. He often is too aggressive in his angles and seriously overplays the ball. He looks to lower the big hit as opposed to making the play which IMO is why he was booted out of Dallas.

Jones is a little better but, I do agree that if all things being equal, Sharper would be the best fit in this situation.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:29 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I was just thinking Williams as he is familiar with our FO... I think he was drafted before Parcels got to Dallas, but he was given a contract in 2005 to keep him there which was right in the middle of the parcels regime...

He is a hard hitter that much is a plus. But I dont know alot about his playing style otherwises

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:39 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

10acjed wrote:
I was just thinking Williams as he is familiar with our FO... I think he was drafted before Parcels got to Dallas, but he was given a contract in 2005 to keep him there which was right in the middle of the parcels regime...

He is a hard hitter that much is a plus. But I dont know alot about his playing style otherwises

Williams would be a downgrade from Wilson, we do not need a tackling hard hitting safety, we need a coverage FS that is a ball hawk to allow Bell to wreak havoc

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:17 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

kinda makes you sad when i say boy do I miss renaldo hill.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:34 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I never care about free agents we do not sign as most free agents never live up to their huge contracts. I am still a beleiver that it is the draft , then the draft & then free agency.
Hopefully this will put to rest all those future threads about free agents wanting to play for Miami because it is home or they have family here or because it is a better tax situation.
Its all about the dollars.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]