View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 OT: Lions CB Aaron Berry 
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post OT: Lions CB Aaron Berry
So this is way off topic but was a crazy experience for me. Im visiting family in PA and was out at the bars in Harrisburg last night. At the end of the night as my buddies and i are walking back to the car we nearly get hit by this guy backing out of a parking spot.

Naturally we were yelling to get his attention so we wouldnt get hit. Well next thing we know theyre rolling down the back window and the front passenger points a laser at us and tells us to back away.

The one friend and I just brushed it off and kept walking after the car left only to turn around and see our other friend frantically ru.ning up to a cop. Turns out that laser was attached to a glock 45... my friend being a gun enthusiast was able to describe the weapon exactly and they caught the car just a block away.

So after we went and identified the guys from the car and filled out all the police reports the one cop says... Do you guys know who that is?

I had no clue... but he says... thats Aaron Berry feom the Lions... he dropped the crucial interception in the playoff game against the Saints last year. The bleepin idiot was just arrested less than a month ago for DUI in practically the same spot.

All I could do was laugh at this point. The scariest moment in my life thus far came at the hands of a player from the sport Im most passionate about. Go figure.

At least I have a cool story now... how many people do you know that had a gun pointed at them by an NFL player.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:52 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: OT: Lions CB Aaron Berry
Dang, the Lions have some real internal problems.

Maybe send a report to PFT to see if they can get it published.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:29 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The Lions sure have had some off field problems this year

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:12 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Crazy I can't find anything about him being arrested. Wonder if he got out of it.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well, he may not have had the gun registered/it belonged to someone else in the car and the police can't ask to see the gun based on hearsay...they'd need a warrant. While I believe your testimony, I doubt anything will come of this if Berry didn't allow the police to search his car and they couldn't find the gun in question listed to him in the registration files.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:33 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Iowafin wrote:
Well, he may not have had the gun registered/it belonged to someone else in the car and the police can't ask to see the gun based on hearsay...they'd need a warrant. While I believe your testimony, I doubt anything will come of this if Berry didn't allow the police to search his car and they couldn't find the gun in question listed to him in the registration files.

Not true, you point a gun at someone and they report it to police they will first clear the car and put them all on the ground, then search for the gun, and when they find it they will arrest the people in the car, or at the very least the person accused of pulling the gun...

The ending charge/punishment is only probation and a couple hundred bucks, but they will respond to a complaint of a gun. If they do not, and that gun kills someone later that night they are responsible..

One of dozens of stories like this one:
http://www.timesherald.com/article/20120216/NEWS01/120219703

Quote:
The victim reported to Upper Merion police that the Toyota driver pulled up next to his vehicle, rolled down his passenger side window and yelled, “Watch who you’re (expletive) with, you never know who has a gun,” according to the criminal complaint. Bohachevsky then reportedly reached into the passenger door pocket, grabbed a holster containing a handgun, pointed the weapon at the other driver, then he put the gun on the dashboard. Not long after, Upper Merion police officers Michael Bruner and Drew Miller stopped the Toyota on North Henderson Road near Hunter’s Run. The driver was ordered out of the vehicle, and he admitted to police he had gun. Inside the Toyota, police recovered a loaded Sig Sauer P232 .38-caliber firearm tucked into a tan-colored holster. The weapon had a “full magazine” of ammunition with a chambered round that could have been fired if the trigger had been pulled, authorities reported.

PA Laws:
Quote:
A person who shows or indicates that they have a gun with
the intent to intimidate another person can be charged with
various forms of assault, including Terroristic Threats.

http://paopencarry.org/pdfs/Pennsylvania_Gun_Rights.pdf

If this happened and the cops did nothing about it, I would suggest contacting the police department and speaking with someone in charge....

Last edited by 10acjed on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well this story made it's way onto PFT fellas ....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -incident/

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:18 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Crazy how that happened.

In all seriousness. If this is as you say it is PZ. It's a shame that he has this far gone unscathed by the law. As a fellow phin fan. Had he of shot any one of you. I'd of not only hated him for life. But the lions too. Nfl players should not be able to operate with impunity. Makes me sick. And they think Ocho is bad.. The guy is an entertainer giving back to the community while you've got thugs like this out there giving a bad name to athletes. Wish the media told the real stories. Glad florio picked this one up. Our supposed worst player is out there paying for vacations for fans while these jackasses are pointing guns at normal folk. A dolphin fan in steeler country?! Yeah. He's causing trouble.
Give me a flippin break. Get your players under control Detroit. Character has to matter to SOME clubs right? Just not Detroit.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:56 am

I sent thie story to PFT after giving my official statement to the detective on Saturday afternoon.

Although you won't find any info on the case yet since the Harrisburg Police PR guy is off until Monday... The detective has told me that Berry admitted to pointing the gun at us during questioning.

The gun was in fact registered to Berry and he had a license to carry but according to PA law a license to carry does not allow you to carry in a vehicle.

I'm hoping at this point that revealing this info is allowed as I may be called upon to testify in a few months.

@Iowa - I'm not sure on the laws in PA covering that but they did recover the gun that morning.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:26 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I hope you get to testify against him. He needs kicked from the NFL and locked up for years.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Lions CB Aaron Berry was arrested Saturday on three counts of simple assault.
That's seven arrests for the Lions this offseason and Berry has been responsible for two, both in the last 30 days. After being arrested for drunken driving on June 26, Berry reportedly pointed a firearm at three different people last night. He's surely facing league discipline and it's fair to wonder if his roster spot is in jeopardy considering Detroit spent three draft picks on the position in April.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:52 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I posted it on the blog for you, Anthony. Good thing you only had a laser on you.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:04 am
Profile WWW

Oh man a picture and all! Lol thanks Dave you're too kind.

Now if I need that removed for whatever reason expect a phone call hahahaha

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:38 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Not true, you point a gun at someone and they report it to police they will first clear the car and put them all on the ground, then search for the gun, and when they find it they will arrest the people in the car, or at the very least the person accused of pulling the gun...

The ending charge/punishment is only probation and a couple hundred bucks, but they will respond to a complaint of a gun. If they do not, and that gun kills someone later that night they are responsible..

One of dozens of stories like this one:
http://www.timesherald.com/article/20120216/NEWS01/120219703

Quote:
The victim reported to Upper Merion police that the Toyota driver pulled up next to his vehicle, rolled down his passenger side window and yelled, “Watch who you’re (expletive) with, you never know who has a gun,” according to the criminal complaint. Bohachevsky then reportedly reached into the passenger door pocket, grabbed a holster containing a handgun, pointed the weapon at the other driver, then he put the gun on the dashboard. Not long after, Upper Merion police officers Michael Bruner and Drew Miller stopped the Toyota on North Henderson Road near Hunter’s Run. The driver was ordered out of the vehicle, and he admitted to police he had gun. Inside the Toyota, police recovered a loaded Sig Sauer P232 .38-caliber firearm tucked into a tan-colored holster. The weapon had a “full magazine” of ammunition with a chambered round that could have been fired if the trigger had been pulled, authorities reported.

PA Laws:
Quote:
A person who shows or indicates that they have a gun with
the intent to intimidate another person can be charged with
various forms of assault, including Terroristic Threats.

http://paopencarry.org/pdfs/Pennsylvania_Gun_Rights.pdf

If this happened and the cops did nothing about it, I would suggest contacting the police department and speaking with someone in charge....

I'm pretty confident you cannot clear a car based on an allegation. That story example you provided he admitted to it. If he had kept his mouth shut and said no to the inquiry of searching the car, then the police would have nothing.

That's an illegal search and seizure. They can certainly ask you to get out of the car and if they can search but you can always refuse.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:36 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

That's an illegal search and seizure. They can certainly ask you to get out of the car and if they can search but you can always refuse.

Then they take your car until they get a warrant. I would bet 9.999 times out of 10 when you say no to a serch, you are hiding something. If you had nothing to hide, let them search the car. Don't be a POS and I bet the cops won't bother you.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

Then they take your car until they get a warrant. I would bet 9.999 times out of 10 when you say no to a serch, you are hiding something. If you had nothing to hide, let them search the car. Don't be a POS and I bet the cops won't bother you.

That's simply not true. Some cops are corrupt (shocker, I know). Maybe someone put marijuana in your car without knowing it. Maybe you have a shovel in your trunk because of an innocent thing, but if they find they can pin it on your for a murder that you had nothing to do with.

ALWAYS say no to a cop if they want to search your car. They would take your car if you said no? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If searching the car is illegal search, then taking the car is illegal seizure. Know your rights, buddy.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:33 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowa. All they need is probable cause to search your vehicle. Waving a gun around is a good way to give a cop probable cause.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:42 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Iowafin wrote:
Quote:
Not long after, Upper Merion police officers Michael Bruner and Drew Miller stopped the Toyota on North Henderson Road near Hunter’s Run. The driver was ordered out of the vehicle

I'm pretty confident you cannot clear a car based on an allegation. That story example you provided he admitted to it. If he had kept his mouth shut and said no to the inquiry of searching the car, then the police would have nothing.

He admitted to it after being pulled over and ordered out of the car.
Cops do not just walk up to a car that they believe has a firearm in it. They stay at their car, and tell the person over the loud speaker to exit with their hands up, walk backwards and lay flat on your stomach with hands out, then handcuffed while they sort the rest out.
Common police procedure, well within their rights.

When guns are involved its Police safety first, your rights second. Dont believe me go ride around town pointing your gun at people then try telling the cops no when you get pulled over...
Just being sarcastic of coarse, I wouldn't try that right now, chances are you will be shot....

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:44 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Again, in the state of PA it is a felony to point a gun at someone, a cop does not have to see you do it.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:48 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

According to some Facebook buddies, this story has gone viral and Berry has been arrested.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:13 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Glad to hear that. Nothing worse than a celebrity struck cop not doing his job.

And Iowa is correct in what he is talking about in regards to search & seizure. If no complaint was made, and a routine traffic stop a cop can not just search your car, they will always ask, and most people think they have to say yes. You do not.

They can ask you out of your vehicle, and search you for their own protection. However they can not enter your vehicle.

But in cases where a felony has been committed, you are reduced to miranda rights, even if its someone elses word against yours.

Heck people have spent years in prison based on hearsay. Even when it was not true...

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

dolphinjim wrote:
I hope you get to testify against him. He needs kicked from the NFL and locked up for years.

No he doesn't need to be locked up for yrs.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:

If you refuse then the police are well within their capabilities to detain you standing on the side of the road, until a search warrant can be issued.

Plus anymore the 4th amendment has been shot up with holes & eroded to where it does not mean what it use to mean.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:47 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Iowafin wrote:

If you refuse then the police are well within their capabilities to detain you standing on the side of the road, until a search warrant can be issued.

Plus anymore the 4th amendment has been shot up with holes & eroded to where it does not mean what it use to mean.

Yep. they will get the warrant. I'm sure there are corrupt cops, but come on man. I got pulled over after dinner and I had a glass of wine. 1 glass. He said I was speeding, 6mph over the speed limit. OK, technically I was. He smelled "wine" and he wanted to search the car and do the sobriety test. I said go for it. He found my gun (I have a permit) and he asked me why didn't I tell him. I said there is no law that says I have to. I passed with flying colors and I even said take a blood test. He siad it wasn't necessary and sent me on my way with no ticket. SO again, corrupt cops are few and far between. Can they bust balls? SUre. Bust them right back like I did. Most of the time you have something to hide when you refuse or you are just being a d*ck which I'm sure you never are Iowa.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Most of the time you have something to hide when you refuse or you are just being a d*ck which I'm sure you never are Iowa.

That's a ridiculous generalization.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:10 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Same to you regarding corrupt cops. Again, are "most" cops corrupt? "some"? What % are Iowa? You have your opinion on matters and I have mine.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:11 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Wow PZ. That is scary and amazing. Good Lord, is the light ever going to cut on for Aaron Berry?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:41 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
Wow PZ. That is scary and amazing. Good Lord, is the light ever going to cut on for Aaron Berry?

I'm amazed with how quickly this news spread man. I even emailed Mike Florio saying the same thing.

I gave it to PFT Saturday afternoon at like 4:00 and it was all over the place by 10:00am this morning.

For those saying it was a felony, I was told by the Detective that in this situation it is not... I don't remember exactly why.

The official charge is Simple Assault x3

It's going to suck driving the 3 hours out to the court house to testify but I want to make sure he gets what he's deserved. That's exactly why I went to the media right after giving my official statement. These guys need to be held to a higher standard... whether it's right or wrong.... they are role models.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:59 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

These guys need to be held to a higher standard... whether it's right or wrong.... they are role models.

They need to be put in thier places. A lot of kids look up to these guys whether it's right or wrong. Dads not around and mom is out playing around. The kids see this crap and think it's cool.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:42 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Iowafin wrote:

A cop can absolutely ask to see weapons. They do not need a warrant.

I just completed a concealed permit class and this was one of the things they told us.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:58 am

Iowafin wrote:
Makchell wrote:

That's simply not true. Some cops are corrupt (shocker, I know). Maybe someone put marijuana in your car without knowing it. Maybe you have a shovel in your trunk because of an innocent thing, but if they find they can pin it on your for a murder that you had nothing to do with.

ALWAYS say no to a cop if they want to search your car. They would take your car if you said no? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If searching the car is illegal search, then taking the car is illegal seizure. Know your rights, buddy.

Mak is absolutely 100% correct. Sorry not sure where you're getting your info from but its way off base.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:00 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

A cop can absolutely ask to see weapons. They do not need a warrant.

I just completed a concealed permit class and this was one of the things they told us.

State laws vary, but one law common in states that have concealed permit laws, or open carry laws is that you tell a cop you have a gun if you are stopped for whatever reason. It is for the officers safety and your own, if you do not tell him and he sees it he will be under the impression that you are hiding it, or planning on using it on him. That is where things get scary.

In Fl it is actually a misdemeanor to not tell them you have it, and you may have your permit suspended or revoked.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:29 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Mak is absolutely 100% correct. Sorry not sure where you're getting your info from but its way off base.

I got my info from a lawyer and a law book.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:27 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

Same to you regarding corrupt cops. Again, are "most" cops corrupt? "some"? What % are Iowa? You have your opinion on matters and I have mine.

That makes entirely no sense. You said "most" which is a generalization. I said "some" which is not. Do you not know what the word "general" means? Must not considering you're the guy who was pulled over and willing allowed a cop to search your car without telling him you had a gun.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:31 am

Iowafin wrote:

Get a second opinion. Many states allow police to arrest drivers for minor traffic offenses, at which point they can then conduct a search of your vehicle.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:51 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

That makes entirely no sense. You said "most" which is a generalization. I said "some" which is not. Do you not know what the word "general" means? Must not considering you're the guy who was pulled over and willing allowed a cop to search your car without telling him you had a gun.

Some is also a generalization. If you believe it is not, put a number on "some". Look bro, I'm not gonna get into the BS with you regarding semantics.

State laws vary, but one law common in states that have concealed permit laws, or open carry laws is that you tell a cop you have a gun if you are stopped for whatever reason. It is for the officers safety and your own, if you do not tell him and he sees it he will be under the impression that you are hiding it, or planning on using it on him. That is where things get scary.

In Fl it is actually a misdemeanor to not tell them you have it, and you may have your permit suspended or revoked.

I don't know when this went into affect but I read the concealed book over and over when I got my permit. Maybe I need to buy an updated copy. The cop was actually cool when everything was said and done. He didn't even mention the law, he said "common coutersy". My logic is that if someone is gonna use it, he will be shot at the window.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:00 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

Some is also a generalization. If you believe it is not, put a number on "some". Look bro, I'm not gonna get into the BS with you regarding semantics.

We're not bros. Some is absolutely not a generalization. "Some days it is hot" is a statement, NOT a generalization.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:13 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Get a second opinion. Many states allow police to arrest drivers for minor traffic offenses, at which point they can then conduct a search of your vehicle.

"many states"
Regardless, yes, if you are CAUGHT IN THE ACT OF AN OFFENSE, then they could very well have probable cause. But they can't just pull you over based on hearsay and rip through your vehicle. Period.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:15 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

anyway children.............Aaron Berry was just cut by detroit

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:30 am

Yeah all this back and forth really doesn't matter.

Fact is he was pulled over, arrested and charged with 3 counts of Simple Assault.

Oh, and he was released by the Lions today.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next