View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Why the Dolphins lost last year, can they be fixed? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Why the Dolphins lost last year, can they be fixed?
Quote:
Omar Kelly
Also in Miami
The Dolphins' problem last year wasn't moving the ball. There were no issues going from the 20 to the 20. Miami's issues involved redzone execution, which STUNK. Reggie Bush isn't a redzone back. Daniel Thomas was horrible at redzone runs. Play calling by Brian Daboll was horrible inside the redzone. The offensive line was dismal at protection inside the redzone. The offense kept shooting themselves in the foot with penalties inside the redzone in '11. How can that all be fixed? Coaching.

http://sulia.com/channel/miami-dolphins ... ce=twitter

Quote:
Omar Kelly
Also in Miami
Most of the Miami Dolphins' problems from 2011 are very fixable. Think back, why did the team lose games in 2011?

Reasons the Dolphins lost games in 2011: 1. Defense can't hold onto fourth-quarter leads (four losses...Browns, Giants, Broncos, Cowboys) 2. Redzone struggles on offense (all season problem) 3. Poor protection on the right side of the line (thanks Marc Colombo). 4. Breakdowns in the secondary, which includes struggles defending tight ends (fixed when Tyrone Culver became starter, Karlos Dansby got into shape). 5. Slow starting offense due to coaching change and NFL lockout. Are they fixed?

Those are the concrete issues that led to the Miami Dolphins producing a 6-10 record. It wasn't the fact Miami didn't have a killer QB. Or that Brandon Marshall dropped 12 passes (some in the redzone). Most of last year's problems involved coaching, player selection, play calling, lack of commitment to offseason program, & the absence of competition in camp. The Dolphins won 6 games, blew out five opponents, and lost in the fourth quarter to four team. And that's with a avg. QB starting 12 games

I don't live in fantasy land. Anyone who has followed me for a while knows I'm NOT an optimist. I'm a realist. I'm a glass half empty person. BUT, the Miami Dolphins have some talent. No names, but talent. The Dolphins are a .500 team if Joe Philbin isn't a fraud (think Cam Cameron), the D plays up to expectation, and the O-line gets better. Miami's an above .500 team with SOLID QB play. But the franchise won't be a contender without elite QB play. I say crawl before you try to walk.

http://sulia.com/channel/miami-dolphins ... ce=twitter

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:44 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Why the Dolphins lost last year, can they be fixed?
If Garrard is the starter.............his mobility will help. Moore isn't a bad runner either............but Sparano had him throwing the ball away, instead of tucking and running. Of course, Tannehill is an excellent runner........... but doubt we'll see it next year.

Our play calling last year was too dependent on Marshall..............how many times did we try to hit him with the fade out to the back of the endzone? When it didn't work the first time........Daboll would try it again on the other side. Nuts!

One thing I am convinced of, is Philbin will not be happy with FG's...........the Jets will now have that enjoyment.

J E T S,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,JETS JETS JETS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:25 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Those playcalls and running backs would have looked a heck of a lot better if the offensive line had better players.

There aren't too many running backs or playcallers that can mask piss poor pass protection (say that fast 5 times).

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:47 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Good God Omar!!

I think Thomas and Bush should talk to Omar, make him feel good, then they will do no wrong in his eye...

What confuses me on his expertise reporting here is if the play calling sucked, and the o-line sucked, how exactly did he make a fair evaluation of Thomas?

Its all in formations and mismatches. DaBoll sucked in the redzone because 50% or better was to Marshall aka butter fingers.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Agreed.............Marshall dropped 7 TD's, but if I remember right, most of those were outside the redzone. The coaching last year, did not have a good answer outside of Marshall. Sparano played for field goals and had Moore throw the ball away if his first couple of options were covered.

With Philbin's system we'll have several different packages/plays for the redzone..............our issue will be putting together enough positive plays to get into the redzone.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]