View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Learning something from the hated pats 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Learning something from the hated pats
As a lifelong Dolphins fan, I have trouble understanding why so many of our compatriots want to emulate the jets. I look at the pats who I despise with a passion and I would have much rather been that team than them than the jets the past few years. And look at how those two teams have built there rosters. The jets continually are adding high priced big name free agents i.e. Faneca, Scott, Pace, Tomlinson. While the pats just add selective players who usually are not the big names and building with younger players.

As a long suffering Dolphins fan I am tired of feeling great about my team in March, April, and May. I much rather have warm feelings in November, December, and January.

Most hyped things are just sound and fury signifying nothing! Don't be disheartened by investing in younger players.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:35 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Learning something from the hated pats
Hey Catman - I think Parcells and Sparano are in your camp. They've taken a very controlled approach to FA by selecting a few fringe players who add depth and talent. The players they're actually building the core of the team with all come from the draft. The key is to have patience while these draft picks mature into solid NFL players.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:22 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

While I agree with you in theory, and agree that we do follow that model for the most part, the truth is both BP and the Pats make exceptions when it works for them. Randy Moss & Adalius Thomas were both pretty big-name acquisitions at the time, but they brought them in on their terms and only pay big when they're forced by the market (Wilfork). Dansby is the biggest FA signing by the BP administration to date; let's hope it pans out.

Ironically, all of the "big-name" players the Pats have brought in that I can remember except maybe Rodney Harrison were signed AFTER they won their super bowls. Hmmm...

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:37 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Like them or not the Patriots are a top notch organization. They draft extremely well year and year out, don't over pay to keep veterans, have Belicheck and Tom Brady. I respect the Patriots big time.

As for the Jets, I absolutely despise them. Right down to their Jabba the hut coach. We will just have to see if these high priced free agents can get them to the promised land. Trying to buy yourself a super bowl through free agency usually doesn't work out.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:49 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Finally, someone who gets it.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:50 pm

"Dansby is the biggest FA signing by the BP administration to date; let's hope it pans out."

Maybe in terms of dollars. Here are some guys that were signed as FA

Will Allen
Devon Bess
Jason Fergeson
Tony McDaniel
Chad Pennington
Randy Starks
Ricky Williams

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Devon Bess

I've let it slide for some time, but let's learn to spell the names of the players of our beloved team. Davone is his name.

And yes, he was a pretty good FA signing.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:07 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Will Allen was already here before BP got here. As was Ricky.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:11 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
Will Allen was already here before BP got here. As was Ricky.

Good point...about the biggest name on that list is Chad Pennington and he was a bargain.

I must admit I was encouraged though by the signing of Dansby this off-season.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:37 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
"Dansby is the biggest FA signing by the BP administration to date; let's hope it pans out."

Maybe in terms of dollars. Here are some guys that were signed as FA

Will Allen
Devon Bess
Jason Fergeson
Tony McDaniel
Chad Pennington
Randy Starks
Ricky Williams

I was talking not just in dollars, but in the sense that he was a high-profile, hyped player at the start of FA. None of those players compare, though Pennington comes closest. That's not to say that those high-profile players necessarily end up being the smartest signings, which is exactly the point of this thread I think.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:01 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yes....clearly the Jets are going in the wrong direction :hithead:

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Yes....clearly the Jets are going in the wrong direction :hithead:

We'll see how they look in a season in which the final 2 games aren't handed to them.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:27 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Which final 2 games are you talking about? The end of the season where the Bungles and Colts supposedly let them win? I agree on the Colts....but the Jets then beat those same Bungles in the playoffs.....do you think the Jets let them win that week too? Or, how about that Divisional Playoff game against the Chargers.....?? I guess the Chargers rolled over on that one as well.

They added Cromartie in the offseason which will make them very difficult to throw against....especially when your wide receivers are not good. They were already the #1 defense in the league. I suspect we see 8 men in the box next year every time we play them. Also, now that they already added to their #1 defense, they will be drafting play makers on offense. The Jets are going in the right direction. Don't kid yourself. I am not so sure that Miami is making the right moves to stay competitive in our division.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Which final 2 games are you talking about? The end of the season where the Bungles and Colts supposedly let them win? I agree on the Colts....but the Jets then beat those same Bungles in the playoffs.....do you think the Jets let them win that week too? Or, how about that Divisional Playoff game against the Chargers.....?? I guess the Chargers rolled over on that one as well.

They added Cromartie in the offseason which will make them very difficult to throw against....especially when your wide receivers are not good. They were already the #1 defense in the league. I suspect we see 8 men in the box next year every time we play them. Also, now that they already added to their #1 defense, they will be drafting play makers on offense. The Jets are going in the right direction. Don't kid yourself. I am not so sure that Miami is making the right moves to stay competitive in our division.

Have you not been paying attention?

Cromartie is a 1 year wonder. He has played pretty terribly for the last 2 seasons. You don't release/trade away a 1st rounder from just 3 years ago if he is playing at a high level. He is not very good anymore.

And though they have that #1 defense thing going, and we apparently have terrible receivers, we threw on them so effectively that Ryan claimed they made "Henne look like Dan Marino."

You fear a team we beat twice last season.

Why?

Because they acquired a has been RB, a 1 year wonder CB who has been terrible for 2 straight seasons and got rid of their 1400+ yard back?

Man, you need to get on some reality pills.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:39 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf once again I hope you are right but honestly hatred runs so deep for the Jets that I beleive if they aquired Peyton Manning & Chris Johnson you would down play that. Look , when it comes to the Jets I still live by the fact that they will always find a way to implode , lose easy games & once again look back on a season with disapointment but if the teams were reversed we would love the agressiveness. True when you look at the moves they made I also beleive they did not leap frog anyone but they basically replaced Sheppard who was terrible with Cromartie who like Ricky has a reason ($$$$$) to do well & while he might me a 1 year wonder who is to say with a fresh start he cant be that guy again. Replacing Jones with LT certainly a downgrade but at least they replaced Jones with a guy who certainly has the capacity to fill the void especially in a backup role. Now I love the Dansby signing no matter what the price but as every Dolphin fan should be I am concerned. You know from reading my posts & my reputation I am far from a jaded rah - rah , the Dolphins are great kinda fan. I remember them having 3 very winable games at the end of the year to make the playoffs & I remember them not winning any of them. I see the holes on both sides of the ball although I have faith in the regime I also know that the other teams are also trying to improve & I saw a whole slew of free agents supposedly state their love for the Dolphins while signing elsewhere. Still its a long way until the season starts & we still have the draft where every guy we pick will have the utmost upside & potential while the Jet picks we will spin it so we will wonder how they will ever win a game

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
eleaf once again I hope you are right but honestly hatred runs so deep for the Jets that I beleive if they aquired Peyton Manning & Chris Johnson you would down play that. Look , when it comes to the Jets I still live by the fact that they will always find a way to implode , lose easy games & once again look back on a season with disapointment but if the teams were reversed we would love the agressiveness. True when you look at the moves they made I also beleive they did not leap frog anyone but they basically replaced Sheppard who was terrible with Cromartie who like Ricky has a reason ($$$$$) to do well & while he might me a 1 year wonder who is to say with a fresh start he cant be that guy again. Replacing Jones with LT certainly a downgrade but at least they replaced Jones with a guy who certainly has the capacity to fill the void especially in a backup role. Now I love the Dansby signing no matter what the price but as every Dolphin fan should be I am concerned. You know from reading my posts & my reputation I am far from a jaded rah - rah , the Dolphins are great kinda fan. I remember them having 3 very winable games at the end of the year to make the playoffs & I remember them not winning any of them. I see the holes on both sides of the ball although I have faith in the regime I also know that the other teams are also trying to improve & I saw a whole slew of free agents supposedly state their love for the Dolphins while signing elsewhere. Still its a long way until the season starts & we still have the draft where every guy we pick will have the utmost upside & potential while the Jet picks we will spin it so we will wonder how they will ever win a game

But it isn't Manning and Johnson. It's a 1 year wonder CB and a washed up RB. That is my point. There is nothing to play down.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Another imortant point that factors into the Jets free agents ....

Rookie Head Coaches don't have job security. They have to make a flash in the pan to impress fans & ownership if they are going to stick around OR get hired by another team some day. Rex certainly has gotten the minions horny!! lol

Do you remember that one-and-done poster child Cam Cameron? :hithead:

If you are an established coach, you have the time to build a solid team the right way through the Draft, and fill holes or upgrade with FAs like NE.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:55 pm

The Jets, as much as I hate them, appear to be Miami's competition along with NE for the division title next year. Yes we owned Rex last year but it took two return TD's in the first game and some good luck in the 2nd. Miami proved last year it can hang on the field with anyone but they had lapses in coverage and very little pass rush. The Jets also proved they can play with the big boys. Anyone who thinks the Jets will be a cake walk next year is delusional. I for one believe the Jets got better in the off-season but not a great deal better. Cromartie will have a better year simply because QB's don't have the time to throw the ball. For what its worth, the very fact we're having this debate indicates who we think our biggest rival next season will be.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]