View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Report: Smiley on trade block 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Report: Smiley on trade block
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/22/report-smiley-is-on-the-trade-block/

Quote:
Report: Smiley is on the trade block
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 22, 2010 10:03 AM ET
The addition of Richie Incognito in Miami means a subtraction is coming on the Dolphins offensive line.

Edgar Thompson of the Palm Beach Post reports guard Justin Smiley has been told to stay away from the team's offseason conditioning program because the team plans to trade him.

I like Smiley, the guy is physical and has a great team attitude, but has struggled to stay healthy. This move could save us some nice money, lets just hope Incognito can keep his head on his shoulders.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:49 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Report: Smiley on trade block
Besides the injuries a very good player. What are they looking to get out of this, you think?

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:51 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

A starting OG still in his 20's, but with an injury history. 3-4 round pick. I just guessing my butt off though.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:05 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

I don't like it.

Smiley is a good player and you can never be TOO deep at offensive line.

With Long, Carey, Grove, Smiley, Thomas, Berger, Garner and Incognito we have line that goes 8 deep.

That's exactly what is needed.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:19 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
I don't like it.

With Long, Carey, Grove, Smiley, Thomas, Berger, Garner and Incognito we have line that goes 8 deep.

Maybe they are expecting to draft a rookie or two as well.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:27 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
I don't like it.

Exactly right.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:49 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

So much for developing chemistry on the left side of the line. It will be interesting to hear their explanation of it .... if we are even "worthy" of it.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

I'm a little disapointed as Justin is one of my favorite players, and is the clear leader of that offensive line.

However, I'm not surprised, and it would not be a bad move. If you can get a 3rd round pick, especially if it is one early in the round, I think that would be a very beneficial trade for Miami. Right now you have 4 starting caliber guards.

One is a little inconsistent, but considering his background, there is no reason to believe Route 66 won't be seeing many Pro Bowls. DT is also very cheap.
One is highly talented, and if he can be controlled, is also a Pro Bowl caliber player who fits our blocking scheme perfectly. On a one year deal, but fairly cheap.
The other is also developing, but very nicely into a new position at guard. He's also very cheap.

And then you have the veteran, expensive, injury prone OG. It's not like you HAVE to trade one of them, but it wouldn't be a bad deal to move one of them and acquire some more draft picks in a loaded draft.

Miami could also be planning to use a pick on Jerry, the OG out of Ole Miss, (Peria Jerry's brother), as they loved him at the Senior Bowl.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:44 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Everyone was big on Thomas but early in the season when I singled out Smiley in tapes, he was flat out awesome. 15 yards downfield pancaking folks on running plays. I don't get this at all. Let him heal and bring him back.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Everyone was big on Thomas but early in the season when I singled out Smiley in tapes, he was flat out awesome. 15 yards downfield pancaking folks on running plays. I don't get this at all. Let him heal and bring him back.

He's been healing for 4 seasons. He hasn't completed a season in 4 years because of injury. He's missed a cumulative 1/2 season just while here in Miami. I agree that OLine depth is needed, but nothing interrupts the cohesion of a unit like a guy who can't stay on the field season after season.

You don't pay guys with the expectations that they will only play for 2/3 of the season. Smiley hasn't shown anywhere he's been that he can play for more than that.

This was the foreseeable problem when they brought him in. We gambled and lost. If we can get a pick for hi, I'm all for it.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Could be a smoke screen.. could be bs.

Maybe they are just seeing what they could get for him. My guess ittle be during the draft he is traded if at all. Maybe Smiley and our 2nd for Brandon Marshall? I don't know.. just speculating.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

So they went after a free agent that they knew had injury problems, he comes in and plays great until he gets injured, and now they want to trade him? Injuries are part of the game, and rotating offensive linemen and defensive linemen has become about as necessary part of the game as having a two-headed backfield.
I don't know, getting rid of a guy because he's hurting the team while in the game is one thing (Ted Ginn, Gibril Wilson, Akin Ayodele, etc), but to get rid of a guy because he's missed 5 games in two years doesn't seem right.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Iowafin wrote:
So they went after a free agent that they knew had injury problems, he comes in and plays great until he gets injured, and now they want to trade him? Injuries are part of the game, and rotating offensive linemen and defensive linemen has become about as necessary part of the game as having a two-headed backfield.
I don't know, getting rid of a guy because he's hurting the team while in the game is one thing (Ted Ginn, Gibril Wilson, Akin Ayodele, etc), but to get rid of a guy because he's missed 5 games in two years doesn't seem right.

He's missed 9 games in two years, and another 4 he only got limited action.

At the time, we did not have Thomas, Garner, and now Incognito;

He has missed significant playing time for us in each of his 2 years here, and is replaceable. I love the guy too, but he isn't Ronnie or Jake Long to this offense. He's a guy that we can probably replace with Incognito, and probably Garner and not lose a beat.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

He's missed 9 games in two years, and another 4 he only got limited action.

http://www.nfl.com/players/justinsmiley ... =SMI010440

Not according to that.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:53 pm

Sorry. Missed 9 games including the limited playing time. My bad. (It's actually 10 if you include the NE game, but he was not in for the entire game in that one either).

But still. Point is he has missed significant playing time to injuries that he has had before, or at least similar ones. He's still got value because of his age, character, and talent, but is a guy that we have replacements for in place already.

For anything less than a late 3rd, I would say no. But if they can get one, I'd be OK with it.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:02 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
and talent, but is a guy that we have replacements for in place already.

For anything less than a late 3rd, I would say no. But if they can get one, I'd be OK with it.

Yeah, I think a 3rd would be great, but do they really have replacements already in place? I don't trust Incognito, and Berger is more of a serviceable backup.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Yeah, I think a 3rd would be great, but do they really have replacements already in place? I don't trust Incognito, and Berger is more of a serviceable backup.

I was referring to Incognito and Garner.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Maybe we draft Oline in the 2nd and (assuming) the third we get for Smiley we draft a NT?

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I was referring to Incognito and Garner.

So Garner at LG and Incognito at RG? Idk...I'd rather have Richie as a backup/sub. A rotation of him and Thomas? Idk, none seem as serviceable as what Smiley can and has been. Minus 4 games every year.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Iowafin wrote:
So Garner at LG and Incognito at RG? Idk...I'd rather have Richie as a backup/sub. A rotation of him and Thomas? Idk, none seem as serviceable as what Smiley can and has been. Minus 4 games every year.

Lol. No. I mean they would be fighting for LG. I'm assuming Thomas is the starting RG.

BTW, I am not a fan of rotating the offensive line. I think Miami is the only team in the NFL to do so. I really am a firm believer in unity, and cohesiveness along the line. If you have 5 guys who are healthy and effective, I don't think you should be rotating them in and out. Leave them in there and let them go to work. While they would deny it, I guarantee you that the starting 5 is not as comfortable when there is rotation going on as opposed to letting the starting 5 play.

Granted, last year there were weeks where we were forced to rotate, as guys like Smiley and Grove were not completely healthy. However, if our starting 5 is healthy, I think Miami should go back to doing what they were doing before the Carolina week. Sit back, and enjoy the best running game in the NFL with the best 5 mauling offensive lineman in the NFL, (unit wise).

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Other reports say the Dolphins are asking for a third-round pick for Justin Smiley. Huh? They don't want Smiley because of injuries. Yet they're supposedly asking other teams for a third-round pick for him? No chance of getting that. As I said when Smiley was told he was gone, they'll be lucky to get anything for him at all.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:00 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

dont know if its of any note ,but the hawks traded there guard rob sims yesterday too the lions for
a 5th rnd pick , dont know if it adds fuel to the smiley too the hawks trade rumors ??????

i doubt it

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:45 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Smiley is not worth a 3rd round... at most he's worth a 4th...

If we get a 3rd we should be happy... but I really doubt someone will give us that. I wouldn't... lol

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:07 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Wasn't Smiley the one that visited the Hawks several years ago and then resigned with the Chargers for a boat load of money? I remember the Hawks offering him (or maybe it wasn't him) a boatload of money and he used it as a leveraging tool to get a better contract out of the Chargers so that he could stay there and get mo money.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Wasn't Smiley the one that visited the Hawks several years ago and then resigned with the Chargers for a boat load of money? I remember the Hawks offering him (or maybe it wasn't him) a boatload of money and he used it as a leveraging tool to get a better contract out of the Chargers so that he could stay there and get mo money.

Smiley played with the 49ers. The end.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]