View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Vontae Davis is a Colt! 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Re: Vontae Davis is a Colt!
Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
looks like our boy Smith beats him out every year.
I remember the coaches saying that Smith grew up and davis didnt on Hard Knocks.
Smith practices with a fierce attitude. I was disgusted watching Vontae hiding on the sidelines saying he was acting like an in-shape player. That type of crap disgusts me as an average citizen making average pay to bust my butt at work everyday and this guy can't even stay in shape. What a joke!

Still waiting on that link showing VD ranked as the 43rd CB in the NFL ....

OMG he's 24 years old, after that there's no ability to ever grow up. He's doomed!

no team wants to keep wasting time and money on a player that pulls the same crap every year. you should know that's one of the cardinal sins of the NFL to show up out of shape. teams won't tolerate it.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
i already supplied it above

There is not a single link from you on that page.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Vontae and Marshall trades are completely seperate........Ireland made the move to get rid of Marshall in March........if we kept him, he would be costing us $12mil/yr for the next 2 years. He was good, but not that good.

The Vontae decison is Philbin's. We had Vontae under contract through 2013 under a very favorable contract. Despite great on the field talent, he did not fit Philbin's prototype.

I hope this is just a precursor to a trade for a high value reciever. After 3 losing seasons and a 0-7 start last year...........I don't expect the fan base will have a lot of pateince for another losing season.

If this sounds eerily familor, go back to 2007, when the new head coach Cam Cameron and GM Randy Mueller traded Wes Welker to the Pats for a 2nd and 7th round draft picks. How did that work out?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:00 pm

According to Pro Football Focus, Vontae Davis' ranking among all NFL cornerbacks
last year was 43rd. Richard Marshall, the veteran brought in on a three-year deal that now essentially replaces Vontae, was ranked 51st among 109 qualifying corners in 2011.

if you absolutely have to have a link you're going to need to find it yourself

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Listen.......we've been watching Vontae play for the last 3 seasons.........he was clearly the best CB we had.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:03 pm

shularino wrote:
Listen.......we've been watching Vontae play for the last 3 seasons.........he was clearly the best CB we had.

clearly? not to me. Not to the new coaches. Smith was always close and now he has surpased him. that chart that Rock just posted showed Smith as the 2nd best corner in the NFL.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
clearly? not to me. Not to the new coaches. Smith was always close and now he has surpased him. that chart that Rock just posted showed Smith as the 2nd best corner in the NFL.

No, the chart shows how often the CB is thrown at.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:10 pm

looks like they're always throwing Vontae's way

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
looks like they're always throwing Vontae's way

Always? That's what you get from reading a stat that says he was in 566 cover snaps, only thrown at 79 times (12.72% of his snaps)? Ya, not quite.

In fact what that statistic shows from 2010 for both VD and Smith is what we've always known we've been missing ... i.e. a quality nickel corner.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

No team would have given us a 2nd for Smith or any other CB we had. The stats fail to show that Vontae consistently played man against our opponents best recivers........Holmes, Moss etc.

Can anyone on this forum really say Smith outplayed Davis the last 3 years. C'mon.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:16 pm

they still throw alot more at davis than at Smith

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
they still throw alot more at davis than at Smith

Less than 3% differential and both players were thrown at very little. That year both were in the top 10 for least thrown at. Again, the weak link was the nickel back in the defense, as well as the safeties.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:20 pm

But Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland, who pulled the trigger on the deal, told The Miami Herald that the team doesn’t necessarily have to wait until April’s draft to make use of the freshly acquired picks.

“We’re looking, and this gives us a little bit of ammunition,” Ireland said when asked of potentially trading for a receiver. “If we can do something, we’ll do it now.

“We appreciate all the contributions Vontae has made to the Dolphins since we drafted him in 2009, and we want to wish him the best of success in Indianapolis,” Ireland added.

One receiver likely not in Miami’s plans: Terrell Owens, released by the Seahawks on Sunday. Ireland said the team is “probably not interested” in Owens.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/27/2 ... rylink=cpy

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:44 pm

Quote:
Finally, I recognize that trading Davis probably didn't cost Miami any wins in 2012.

So far, some are reacting like Miami just lost a star. Some of these people are the same ones that criticize Davis, even suggesting he should change positions. Am I excited about this trade? Not terribly exciting. This isn't an exciting trade like the Bears getting Brandon Marshall or as exciting as Asante Samuel being sent to the Falcons. But I don't think this is a bad trade either. This isn't one of those terrible desperation moves like Miami made when they sent a third-round pick to the Rams for Lamar Gordon. This wasn't a lopsided trade when Miami sent a third-round pick along with the blossoming Adewale Ogunleye for Marty Booker when he was on the downslope of his career. No, this was probably a fair trade that served the Colts and Dolphins equally

http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/8/27/3 ... avis-trade

looks like the vast majority like the trade when polled.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:45 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

fonzy wrote:
catman_56 wrote:
Smooth move Ireland, trading a great prospect at corner for a pick lower than we drafted him. Especially with the current state of our secondary this is moronic.

Vontae rode that "prospect" wave as long he could. It's been time for him to show up and he never really lived up to all of the hype. I don't hate the move because I don't think Davis was all that. But it does leave this team thin at secondary. They're blowing it up, thinking big picture. This year will be brutal but they are doing the right things in the long run.

I hope you are right. CB are like pitchers in baseball. You don't trade great ones! If this was a position of strength for us I might be singing a different tune.

However, I think back to two year ago when Jason Allen had a great camp and beat out Sean Smith for the starting spot. But then by mid season he came way back down to earth and was eventually cut and now Smith is our best corner. If Richard Marshall falters we are not going to have the option of going back and putting Davis in the lineup. This is a big risk at one of the most important positions on the field.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:48 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

So far, some are reacting like Miami just lost a star

This is true. You want a 1st rd pick to be a star, impact player on your team. Vontae is niether. I remember too many times last year that he got torched. Excuses were flying everywhere saying he was hurt and what not. This year he was out of shape (again) and got demoted. Did Vontae peek in his sophmore year? I don't know, but if you take in the facts menioned above it sure looks that way.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:51 am

corners are only as good as the pass rush, and Davis was not a great corner.

a great front seven can make average corners look good.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:51 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I hope you all aren't trying to put icing on crap and call it a cake. Unless we can turn that draft pick into a good wide receiver this week, this is a step backwards in my opinion.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:53 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I hope you are right. CB are like pitchers in baseball. You don't trade great ones! If this was a position of strength for us I might be singing a different tune.

Ture, but I don't think VOntae was a great one.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:54 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I hope you all aren't trying to put icing on crap and call it a cake. Unless we can turn that draft pick into a good wide receiver this week, this is a step backwards in my opinion.

If you lick the icing without licking the poop, it's good. Just don't lick too ahrd or deep...that sounds horrible, I know.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:56 am

look at how dominant the Niners were on defense last year, and they had a bunch of no-namers and retreads at corner.

Giants won the super bowl with pass rush, not elite corners.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:

This thread is already ridiculously long and is now a sparring match.

Not sure I can add much that isn't already on here, but its quite apparent the Fins realize they aren't a contender this year. Its going to be a tryout for the current roster to see if any fit into the long term plan. As PR pointed out in another thread, Miami will have an enormous amount of cash next year and they are loading up on picks for next year's draft.

Davis was a Parcells pick, not an Ireland pick. Maybe I'm alone on this but I don't think many guys taken before the 2011 draft were Ireland picks. He may have added his two cents but we all know who controlled the grocery list. Getting a 2nd rounder for him rather than a potential comp pick when they didn't re-sign him probably sounded better to Ireland.

Can we just see what happens before week 1 before losing our poop over this move?

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:34 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
Giants won the super bowl with pass rush, not elite corners.

You're right about the 49ers but you missed the mark with the Giants. Aaron Ross and Corey Webster are no slouches. Ross is a former first round pick, Webster a former second. They also had solid safeties in Phillips and Rolle.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
Getting a 2nd rounder for him rather than a potential comp pick when they didn't re-sign him probably sounded better to Ireland.
He has 2 Yrs left on his deal.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:46 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
If you lick the icing without licking the poop, it's good. Just don't lick too ahrd or deep...that sounds horrible, I know.

LOL. I'll have to take your word on that!

:)

One thing I will say is that it was seeming as if the defense was not buying into the new scheme, so, maybe they felt they were getting rid of negative leadership.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:47 am
Profile WWW

Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:
Getting a 2nd rounder for him rather than a potential comp pick when they didn't re-sign him probably sounded better to Ireland.

Doesn't mean he was part of the long term plans.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:51 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:

That was my point. Ireland gets a higher pick for a guy of his choosing rather than a late 3rd rounder at best. Again, not saying it was a good or bad move, but I can see the logic Ireland is using.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:59 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

Of course. I was simply addressing the comp. pick. I'm not sure these guys actually have a plan, unless its lets build a team with little talent.

Again we sit with a bad team with little talent.. Seems to me that constant changing has not changed anything with this team over the past 10 yrs.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:01 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Of course. I was simply addressing the comp. pick. I'm not sure these guys actually have a plan, unless its lets build a team with little talent.

Again we sit with a bad team with little talent.. Seems to me that constant changing has not changed anything with this team over the past 10 yrs.

The void of talent and jettisoning what remained of talent scares me. We're going to have $50 million in cap space next year, but we're coached by a man who believes in building through the draft, not Free Agency so what good is having all that money and a GM where the jury is still skeptical of his drafting abilities?

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:07 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

The void of talent and jettisoning what remained of talent scares me. We're going to have $50 million in cap space next year, but we're coached by a man who believes in building through the draft, no Free Agency so what good is having all that money and a GM where the jury is still skeptical of his drafting abilities?

Outside of Jake Long do we have any bigger names that need to be re-signed? Just curious how much of that money needs to be used to keep any current talent.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:29 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:

Outside of Jake Long do we have any bigger names that need to be re-signed? Just curious how much of that money needs to be used to keep any current talent.
I think Starks is a FA.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:38 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I see people talking about V. Davis but using words/phrases such as "WAS" and "2011".

Here in 2012 V. Davis was not our best DB. He lost his starting spot and didnt seem to be putting must effort into getting it back. A 2nd round pick next year for a backup DB sounds great. We can fill another hole and become stronger.

GO DOLPHINS!

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:19 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rodneyfaile wrote:
I see people talking about V. Davis but using words/phrases such as "WAS" and "2011".

Here in 2012 V. Davis was not our best DB. He lost his starting spot and didnt seem to be putting must effort into getting it back. A 2nd round pick next year for a backup DB sounds great. We can fill another hole and become stronger.

GO DOLPHINS!
3rd CB are backups. In the NFL today. They are on the field just about every play.

Has everyone forgotten how the Jets use to abuse the Phins 3rd Cb?

Last edited by Dphins4me on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:21 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Has everyone forgotten how the Jets used to abuse the Phins 3rd Cb?

Apparently quite a few people do.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:40 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

GO DOLPHINS!
3rd CB are backups. In the NFL today. They are on the field just about every play.

Has everyone forgotten how the Jets used to abuse the Phins 3rd Cb?

It was V. Davis that was going to be abused. I would rather have a 2nd round pick next year than watch a lackadaisical V. Davis walking around giving half-effort while WRs make plays over him.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:48 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Great move. Couldn't have done it better myself. I was waiting for the high priced dead weight to be cut and dropped. I never seen much of a difference in him then Marshall besides paycheck.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:32 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Haha wrote:
Great move. Couldn't have done it better myself. I was waiting for the high priced dead weight to be cut and dropped. I never seen much of a difference in him then Marshall besides paycheck.

Huh? VD doesn't make more than Marshall.

Vontae Davis
2012 $957,500
2013 $1,136,250
2012 cap hit $2,703,750

Richard Marshall
2012 $2,500,000
2013 $4,550,000
2014 $5,300,000

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:37 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Haha wrote:

Vontae had 974K, and 1.1 million left on the last 2 years of his deal.

Marshall has 3 years and 5.3 million per year on his deal.

Also, Marshall was terrible against Atlanta while Davis was shut-down...

Needless to say, I disagree.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:43 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Haha wrote:

Vontae had 974K, and 1.1 million left on the last 2 years of his deal.

Marshall has 3 years and 5.3 million per year on his deal.

Also, Marshall was terrible against Atlanta while Davis was shut-down...

Needless to say, I disagree.

PR, I saw your twitter war with Volin. Saw in your profile you are the so called biggest Dolphins Fan in MA. Care to reconsider that description???

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:46 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The more I think about this the more I like the trade..

it's almost like we used hard knocks to our advantage..

the first time they say "Ah look VD is playing better" we trade him...

I don't think they like players that are not focused and ready to play on opening day.. This reminds me of some of the eagles trades..

Let AJ look like a great QB trade him... same with Kolb... they LOL all the way to the draft...

This time we got some value for a player that shows up out of shape.. is never ready.. anyone else remember what the pats did to him opening game.. sorry. I am not a VD fan..

ya once he gets in the right mindset and in shape he does better.. but heck it's like having to beg your kid to clear there bedroom once a week.. you just get tired of it after a bit...

I have np with this trade... I don't exspect to have a good season anyone.. We are rebuilding. or retooling or whatever.. call it what you will but we are not ready to run with the big dogs.. you might as well get what you can and take that 50 mill cap we have next season... and do some real damage with it..

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next