Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:15 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Too bad his own secondary coach could be heard saying how good he thought VD could be on Hard Knocks.

"Could be" means virtually nothing when someone does not show any maturity or ability to reach that potential.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:09 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

degs wrote:
Quote:
Too bad his own secondary coach could be heard saying how good he thought VD could be on Hard Knocks.

"Could be" means virtually nothing when someone does not show any maturity or ability to reach that potential.

Vontae is a great prospect...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:47 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

No, Vontae was our best CB the last 3 years despite that child-like attitude. If Ireland is loading up to get a good WR, I'm all for it. If not, I think it was stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:59 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
is this the same coach that was bashing Vontae for his stupid play on tonite's episode when he pulled the Atlanta receiver to the ground? LOL

Ya, so what of it? Just because he criticizes one play doesn't strip him of the previous comment about what he thought VD's talents.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:07 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

NFLJunkie wrote:
If Ireland is loading up to get a good WR, I'm all for it.

A 2nd Rd pick is not loaded up. No team is going to be weakening itself for a 2nd Rd pick, unless the player traded is not worth a 2nd Rd pick. Ala James Jones.

Total BS comment for appeasement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:13 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
If Ireland is loading up to get a good WR, I'm all for it.

A 2nd Rd pick is not loaded up. No team is going to be weakening itself for a 2nd Rd pick, unless the player traded is not worth a 2nd Rd pick. Ala James Jones.

Total BS comment for appeasement.

It doesn't mean the 2nd round pick is the trade chip. Having that extra pick means letting or 3rd or 4th rounder go for a player is easier to swallow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:17 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:

It doesn't mean the 2nd round pick is the trade chip. Having that extra pick means letting or 3rd or 4th rounder go for a player is easier to swallow.
Yeap & Miami will be getting a player worthy of a 5th or 6th Rd pick.

Remember how Miami had to overpay for Lamar Gordon at the start of the Yr?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:25 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:

Yeap & Miami will be getting a player worthy of a 5th or 6th Rd pick.

Remember how Miami had to overpay for Lamar Gordon at the start of the Yr?

I do. I also remember Miami getting Fasano and Akin Ayodele for a 4th round pick and Jason Ferguson for a 6th Round pick under the same GM.

Ireland doesn't make desperate trades for players ala Gordon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:36 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I do. I also remember Miami getting Fasano and Akin Ayodele for a 4th round pick and Jason Ferguson for a 6th Round pick under the same GM.
Came in Apr., not late Aug.

jammer wrote:
Ireland doesn't make desperate trades for players ala Gordon.
No yet at least. If he ends up trading for Jones, anything more than a 5th is overpaying. I'd prefer he pick up Tori Gurley if he does not make the Packers, which is possible. Just being caught up in the numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:44 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:
Came in Apr., not late Aug.

Not the point. He traded for value, which is exactly what he'll do here. If he sees no value he'll simply go to the waiver wire or free agents.

Teams will be looking to unload players to get something in return before Friday. Ireland will be dealing from a position of strength if a team wants to deal a WR, just like he did with a Dallas team that was looking to unload guys they no longer needed.

James Jones isn't a slouch. He's not as good as Jordy Nelson or Greg Jennings, but he's worth a mid round pick if he's a guy who gives Miami 50 catches and 5+ TDs per year for the next few seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:55 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Not the point. He traded for value, which is exactly what he'll do here. If he sees no value he'll simply go to the waiver wire or free agents.
That is the point. Apr trades are different than late Aug. trades. Teams in late Aug are getting ready for the season & are not going to give up a player who can help them win unless you overpay for the player & even then will not give up a stud player. If a player is traded in Aug. then the team had no interest in keeping him.

If Miami was a contending team, then Davis would not have been traded.

jammer wrote:
Teams will be looking to unload players to get something in return before Friday. Ireland will be dealing from a position of strength if a team wants to deal a WR, just like he did with a Dallas team that was looking to unload guys they no longer needed..
Teams know Miami is desperate. Ireland will be dealing from a weakness stand point, not strength.

Again, Apr. trades are not the same. Miami could have walked away from the deal & picked up a TE elsewhere, plus Dallas got to use the 4th Rd. pick right then, not wait till next yrs draft.

jammer wrote:
James Jones isn't a slouch. He's not as good as Jordy Nelson or Greg Jennings, but he's worth a mid round pick if he's a guy who gives Miami 50 catches and 5+ TDs per year for the next few seasons.

One of the highest drop rates for a Wr of catchable passes. If you want him to catch 50 passes, then he will need at least 61-63 catchable throws, based on past history of drops.

Drops & Wr position do not go together. I would not draft a Wr that comes with drop issues & I'm not talking one yr either.. Either they can catch or they cannot. Its why I love Denarius Moore in last year draft. He comes down with the ball.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:07 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
is this the same coach that was bashing Vontae for his stupid play on tonite's episode when he pulled the Atlanta receiver to the ground? LOL

Ya, so what of it? Just because he criticizes one play doesn't strip him of the previous comment about what he thought VD's talents.

Talent doesn't mean jack squat if not properly applied. You can have all-world talent but if you don't have discipline and drive, it doesn't mean squat. You can praise talent and still not approve of the player.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:42 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:
That is the point. Apr trades are different than late Aug. trades. Teams in late Aug are getting ready for the season & are not going to give up a player who can help them win unless you overpay for the player & even then will not give up a stud player. If a player is traded in Aug. then the team had no interest in keeping him.

If Miami was a contending team, then Davis would not have been traded.

jammer wrote:
Teams will be looking to unload players to get something in return before Friday. Ireland will be dealing from a position of strength if a team wants to deal a WR, just like he did with a Dallas team that was looking to unload guys they no longer needed..
Teams know Miami is desperate. Ireland will be dealing from a weakness stand point, not strength.

Again, Apr. trades are not the same. Miami could have walked away from the deal & picked up a TE elsewhere, plus Dallas got to use the 4th Rd. pick right then, not wait till next yrs draft.

jammer wrote:

One of the highest drop rates for a Wr of catchable passes. If you want him to catch 50 passes, then he will need at least 61-63 catchable throws, based on past history of drops.

Drops & Wr position do not go together. I would not draft a Wr that comes with drop issues & I'm not talking one yr either.. Either they can catch or they cannot. Its why I love Denarius Moore in last year draft. He comes down with the ball.

Trades aren't defined by the time of year, they are defined by individual situations. Dallas felt they got value before the draft for two guys not making a difference. Its not different than GB feeling they'll get value for a guy who's limited time on the field may hurt his trade value at a later date. That puts Ireland in a position of strength because Miami doesn't necessarily need Jones, they can just go to waivers if the demands are too high. Again, its Ireland's approach, not some textbook study of how trades should be conducted.

You couldn't be more incorrect about Davis being traded. Miami's stance is that everyone is on the block for the right price, regardless of what time of year it is. Had Indy reached out and offered a pick for him in April or June Miami would have pulled trigger if the value was there. Wouldn't matter if they were contenders because they feel they can replace just about anyone.

Brandon Marshall had a bad drop rate but he's still on the field. No one is saying Jones is the answer as a number 1 receiver, but if he can get open and catch 50% of his passes its better than current guys who can't get open and catch zero passes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:47 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Trades aren't defined by the time of year, they are defined by individual situations. Dallas felt they got value before the draft for two guys not making a difference.
Again they are. You would be hard pressed to provide me one late Aug trade where the player getting traded carried a ton of value. Dallas was salary dumping two under performing players.

jammer wrote:
Its not different than GB feeling they'll get value for a guy who's limited time on the field may hurt his trade value at a later date. That puts Ireland in a position of strength because Miami doesn't necessarily need Jones, they can just go to waivers if the demands are too high. Again, its Ireland's approach, not some textbook study of how trades should be conducted.
All of it will depend on if Miami is playing for 2012 or 2013. Miami would be better off going to the waiver wire than giving up anything for Jones.

jammer wrote:
You couldn't be more incorrect about Davis being traded. Miami's stance is that everyone is on the block for the right price, regardless of what time of year it is. Had Indy reached out and offered a pick for him in April or June Miami would have pulled trigger if the value was there. Wouldn't matter if they were contenders because they feel they can replace just about anyone.
That is BS on Miami's part. No team would not part with a stud player in Oct because someone was offering two 1st Rd, if that team was in the mix for a playoff spot. Miami would not have traded Davis this past Apr for a 2nd Rd. pick.

jammer wrote:
Brandon Marshall had a bad drop rate but he's still on the field. No one is saying Jones is the answer as a number 1 receiver, but if he can get open and catch 50% of his passes its better than current guys who can't get open and catch zero passes.
Not for a 3rd/4th Rd pick. Jones does not improve this team much. Also, BM had issues last year, not for his entire career, like Jones.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:51 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

whatever helps your argument

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:58 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Dropping the Ball

It won’t be a surprise that those with more opportunity have tended to drop the most balls. Indeed, if you look at Wes Welker, his 32 drops were second in the league over three years. The only wide receiver with more than him? New Bears receiver Brandon Marshall who led the way with 35 drops over three years. Chicago will be hoping that linking up with Jay Cutler will help calm this number down, but it’s worth noting that if you go back to 2008 Marshall had 16 drops in that year alone.

Drop Rate – The Bad

Now let’s get to the important number. Players like Marshall and Welker may have more drops than anyone else, but Welker doesn’t figure in the Bottom 15 of the 61 players who had at least 125 catchable balls thrown their way over the past three years, and Marshall was just in the Bottom 10

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... receivers/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:08 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I don't disagree that there might be a better waiver wire option or free agent option as opposed to trading for Jones. We won't know that until Friday so as of right now he presents probably the most realistic option if Ireland gets him for a bargain price.

If Indy offered Miami a 2nd round pick and a player or 3rd rounder in April I would bet Ireland would pull trigger so its not BS on their part. You don't deal top 20 or 30 players in the NFL, but Miami doesn't have anything close to that. Even Jake Long has slipped in reputation.

In terms of April vs August or whatever month I think you'd be hard pressed to show consistency anytime when concerning a player for picks. Teams dump attitude problems, bad contracts and excess depth whenever they deem it necessary. April just has a larger volume of trades because its picks for picks. Usually the start of the offseason (February/March) and the summer are when you see more player trades because teams have evaluated their situation after the prior season and after some Camp/Preseason.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:21 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

My larger point in this discussion is that I don't expect Ireland to do something desperate ie Lamar Gordon. You'd be hard pressed to give an example of him making such a deal. Even the Marshall trade played out for a while and he waited until he got the best possible value for what he was giving up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:40 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I don't disagree that there might be a better waiver wire option or free agent option as opposed to trading for Jones. We won't know that until Friday so as of right now he presents probably the most realistic option if Ireland gets him for a bargain price.
IMO the only price I would consider Jones for is free.

jammer wrote:
If Indy offered Miami a 2nd round pick and a player or 3rd rounder in April I would bet Ireland would pull trigger so its not BS on their part. You don't deal top 20 or 30 players in the NFL, but Miami doesn't have anything close to that. Even Jake Long has slipped in reputation.

Miami can say they everyone is available right now, because of what you just said. They do not have anything close to that & they basically suck as a team, so they need to improve. If they ever reach the good level, then that everyone is available for the right price goes away.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:42 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
My larger point in this discussion is that I don't expect Ireland to do something desperate ie Lamar Gordon. You'd be hard pressed to give an example of him making such a deal. Even the Marshall trade played out for a while and he waited until he got the best possible value for what he was giving up.

He feels secure in his job right now. Let him be in a win or lose your job ( As Speilman was in ) & you will see those type moves.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:55 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The Dolphins got a 2nd round pick for V Davis. I cant imagine him playing well enough to be worthy of a 1st round pick next year, so I think they made a good trade, a very good trade in fact. Sean Smith is taking over the role of best CB on the Dolphins. A 2nd round pick is pretty good for our #3 CB.

It was hard to watch that on Hard Knocks. I wish him all the best, and believe he can be a very good CB, but this decision will benefit the Dolphins. We will be glad we have that pic next year since we are rebuilding.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:

He feels secure in his job right now. Let him be in a win or lose your job ( As Speilman was in ) & you will see those type moves.

He didn't panic and overpay for Kyle Orton or Carson Palmer last offseason when it appeared both he and Sparano were on the hot seat to get a QB.

Has the NFL seen a Lamar Gordon type trade since the infamous trade?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:15 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

no

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:

He didn't panic and overpay for Kyle Orton or Carson Palmer last offseason when it appeared both he and Sparano were on the hot seat to get a QB.
What makes you believe he was on the hot seat?

jammer wrote:
Probably not, because few owners put GMs in a win or lose your job situation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

After seeing Carroll get toasted by backup WRs.....I'm guessing we're going to miss V. Davis.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:14 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Peter King

3. The Colts deal for Vontae Davis, and south Florida begins to say, "Wait 'til next year." In the aggressive, rush-heavy defense new Indy coach Chuck Pagano plays, the Colts need cover corners. Now they have one after Sunday's trade with the Miami Dolphins for Davis. Though the fourth-year veteran had fallen out of favor with the new staff in Miami, Pagano is likely to make him a poor man's Darrelle Revis, putting him on an island against the Andre Johnsons and Justin Blackmons on the Colts' schedule.

The Dolphins now have dealt two of their former stalwarts from the Tony Sparano regime, Brandon Marshall and Davis, and they'll have a rich draft (five picks in the first three rounds) in 2013 to show for it. Whether GM Jeff Ireland will be making those picks remains to be seen, but let me say this in his defense: Miami did well to get two third-rounders for Marshall, and if a devalued Davis were on the bench to start the season, Miami wouldn't have been able to get a second-rounder for him before the trading deadline.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z252wNJB9f

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:44 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The Dolphins now have dealt two of their former stalwarts from the Tony Sparano regime, Brandon Marshall and Davis,

Now we won't be SB contenders. Oh wait, we were losers with Marshall and Davis, that's right....I think we/media over value players.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Pagano is likely to make him a poor man's Darrelle Revis, putting him on an island against the Andre Johnsons and Justin Blackmons on the Colts' schedule.

And Davis will get torched, just like week 2 of last year. It will be a long year for the Colts with Davis island.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:53 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
And Davis will get torched, just like week 2 of last year. It will be a long year for the Colts with Davis island.

Bookmarking this one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:02 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Bookmarking this one.

I'm sure you will. Don't worry, if I'm wrong, I'll be man enough to admit it because if you are right on a messageboard you win a bunch of prizes! lol. I'll stick by what I said regarding Davis. The new toast.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:04 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

5 draft picks in first 3 rounds. 50 million in cap space next year. Safe to say next offseason will be exciting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:25 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Rock Sexton wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Bookmarking this one.

OK, but everytime he gets torched Mak and I get to throw it in your face as well,
See how that works?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:27 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

hypocritex wrote:
5 draft picks in first 3 rounds. 50 million in cap space next year. Safe to say next offseason will be exciting.

that's what i was saying the other day. This will be sort of the gutting year for Philbin.
But next offseason he will get to aquire his core guys to put his stamp on this team.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

50M of cap because Jake Long and Reggie Bush are both FA's next year. Exciting? Sure... more like nervous breakdown.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
50M of cap because Jake Long and Reggie Bush are both FA's next year. Exciting? Sure... more like nervous breakdown.

We don't even know they're going to spend heavy. Philbin after all is this big proponent building the team thru the draft. He's said as much in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:44 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
OK, but everytime he gets torched Mak and I get to throw it in your face as well,
See how that works?

Do whatever your little heart desires. I bought you this btw:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:53 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
See how that works?

Do whatever your little heart desires. I bought you this btw:

LOL.. sweet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:58 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

See how that works?

Actually, I don't see how it works. I'm saying he will get torched. He will have an average inconsistant year just like when he was a fin. IF he has a probowl type year and our secondary sucks, I will be the 1st to admit that we made a mistake. Until then, I'll stick with my opinions regarding Vontae Davis. You and Rock have this little thing going on regarding throwing facts and I told you so's in each others face. Does it matter?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:59 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Hartline another 3-4

Are you drink PR? lol I would give Hartline the vet min or can test the FA market, he has done nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:03 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I don't think you can keep him for under 3/yr.

SOmeone else can have him then. I would take jones or Meacham over Hartline anyday.

Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next