View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Phins banking on Paul Soliai’s development 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Phins banking on Paul Soliai’s development
Quote:
Tony Sparano has a private list of players he needs to see a SIGNIFICANT amount of growth from for the Miami Dolphins to take the next step.

There was only one exception where the Dolphins head coach named named, and no one should be surprised that person was nose tackle Paul Soliai, who had his most productive season in 2010 as an injury fill-in, but didn’t exactly prove he was start material.

As the roster presently stands, Soliai is in position to begin the season as a starter at the most critical position on the defense because Jason Ferguson, the team’s grizzled veteran nose tackle, will sit out the first eight games due to a NFL suspension for violating the league’s policy on banned supplements.

Soliai was decent as Ferguson’s replacement in the second half of the season. He contributed a career-high 25 tackles, and forced one fumble in his 14 games. But the fact he was regularly single blocked in his five starts compromised the integrity of the team’s 3-4 defense.

In order for the Dolphins to get better on defense Sparano admits Soliai will have to take his game to the next level because he’s the most important cog in front line of a 3-4 scheme.

“Paul’s one of these players that you hope will take the next step. Paul Soliai is one of them and you can write that down. But I would say to you that I would hope that he does take the next step,” Sparano said. “This guy got better for us at the end of the season last year, he really did. [Defensive line] coach Kacy Rogers did a good job with him, but Paul got better, and he got better in a lot of ways. I seen a better pro out of this guy as the season went on.

“ He started to learn what was important and there’s more learning to be done, and there’s more things from a physical standpoint to be done. So I’d hope that he would take the next step because he does have some ability.”

Sparano did not rule out drafting more nose tackles, and he did add that the team has a few contingency plans if Soliai doesn’t hold up on the front line until Ferguson’s back. While he didn’t name names in that instance, and educated guess makes me conclude he’s referring to Ryan Baker, a rookie free agent addition last year, and Ikaika Alama-Francis, a free agent defensive tackle they signed late last season.

When asked why Ferguson was re-signed despite his impending suspension, Sparano said the Trifecta would have jumped at the chance to acquire a nose tackle of his caliber in the second half of last season, so why not be proactive.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... pment.html

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:26 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Phins banking on Paul Soliai’s development
:cry:

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:54 am
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

Interesting.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:39 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

I hope they see something we don't.

Soliai was not that great when asked to start.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

"When asked why Ferguson was re-signed despite his impending suspension, Sparano said the Trifecta would have jumped at the chance to acquire a nose tackle of his caliber in the second half of last season, so why not be proactive."

I doubt they stand pat. They'll probably bring in a vet on the downside or a rookie. I was correct in assessing this just like Sparano. A fresh Fergeson in the 2nd half could be a nice kicker.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:02 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
"When asked why Ferguson was re-signed despite his impending suspension, Sparano said the Trifecta would have jumped at the chance to acquire a nose tackle of his caliber in the second half of last season, so why not be proactive."

I doubt they stand pat. They'll probably bring in a vet on the downside or a rookie. I was correct in assessing this just like Sparano. A fresh Fergeson in the 2nd half could be a nice kicker.

That's still a big bet to make. By mid-season we could already be hurting bad (think 3-5) if we get gashed at will in the running game. 8 games in might be too late to rely on Ferguson to come in and shore us up. If we can hold our own without him we'll get a needed boost from having him in the rotation. I'd still like to pick up a guy early(ier) in the draft.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:08 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
... the fact he was regularly single blocked in his five starts compromised the integrity of the team’s 3-4 defense.

Bad data right there. I know a lot is asked of a nose tackle, but a 3-4 NT that can be blocked with one person is a liability. If they are counting on Soliai for the first 8 games of the season alone then we are in trouble. I am sure there is another plan in place.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:00 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

This coming from the same regime that said Gibril Wilson has to step it up this coming year. If some quality young guys come in Soliai could be rotating right out the door. I doubt they go into next year banking on anything significant from Soliai.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]