View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Sparano: White made strides. 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Sparano: White made strides.
I feel the Dolphins will trade Thigpen making it a 3 QB team again. That way they can let White bulk up and learn more of the offense. Whatever "wowed" them (and the NFL) about White in college, they are hoping that it materializes at some point.

Edgar Thompson wrote:
Sparano said White made strides.

“I saw growth from season’s start to season’s end with what Pat can handle from the offensive standpoint,” Sparano said. “At the end of the year there were no restrictions. He was able to handle it all mentally that way.

“And I’ve seen growth from a fundamental standpoint out on the practice field . Now, at the end of the day, with the competition out there, whether it’s going to be good enough or not, that really isn’t up to me. It’s gonna be up to those players.”

If if cannot hang with the competition at quarterback, Sparano said the team hasn’t decided where it would move White.

“Not until we do our due diligence and find out the improvements made, one way or the other, and how good those improvements are,” Sparano said.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... shake-out/

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:53 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Sparano: White made strides.
I saw growth from Pat White also. Those 0 yard runs began turning into 1 or 2 yard runs.

It's all about progress.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:27 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
I saw growth from Pat White also. Those 0 yard runs began turning into 1 or 2 yard runs.

It's all about progress.

I am very concerned about his lack of arm strength and touch on the ball. Honestly, Ronnie threw better out of the Wild Cat. Due to Pennington's injury, I will be concerned if we go into the season with Pennington and White as the backups.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:52 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Big Dave wrote:
Rich wrote:

It's all about progress.

I am very concerned about his lack of arm strength and touch on the ball. Honestly, Ronnie threw better out of the Wild Cat. Due to Pennington's injury, I will be concerned if we go into the season with Pennington and White as the backups.

Exactly right ... this is a no brainer. Just ask yourself if something happened to the starter & Pat White became the starter how fast would you be saying "The Miami Dolphins are now on the clock".

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:12 am
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

With Henne as starter, and White and Thigpen battling for the backup spot and Penny on the bench at 3rd, I'm comfortable with it. I believe Thigpen will easily pass White and challenge Henne for the #1. So will Penny, and Penny understands this thing better than the other three, but is probably the most limited of the four guys. Unless we trade him, I am convinced Thigpen makes a push for the starters' job. At least, I see a very competitive camp.
Check out their numbers:
Henne:
13 Starts...281/463 (60.7%)...6.4 yd avg....2945 yd...12 TDs/14 Ints...16 rushes/32 yd (2.0 avg.)...1 TD
Thigpen
11 Starts...236/434 (54.4%)...6.3 yd avg....2732 yd...19 TDs/15 Ints...64 rushes/389 yd (6.1 avg.)...6 Tds

The main difference I see in these guys is for Henne he's watched this thing here for two years and played in it for most of one. Thigpen has about a month in. Advantage Henne.
Henne has a slightly stronger arm. Thigpen's isn't a noodle, but Henne does have a rocket launcher. Slight advantage Henne.
Thigpen chooses well, and keeps the ball under better control. A positive TD/Int ratio is more Pennington than Henne...Advantage Thigpen.
Henne isn't mobile. Not like you and I think mobile...more classic stand and throw. Thigpen is mobile in the extreme...Advantage Thigpen.

I personally think Pat White might get cut during camp, especially if they spend a low pick on Armanti Edwards. If Henne didn't like the thought of us drafting Tebow to challenge for a spot, he's surely not going to like seeing Mr. Appalachian State in a uni.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:02 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Lets hope he's referring to the strides he's taking while jogging during warm ups. I think the guy will make a nice utility player. Anyone who thinks he will develop into a starting or even a great back up QB is far more optimistic than myself.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:32 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:

It's all about progress.

bahahahahahahah..... good one

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:25 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

They won't trade Thigpen unless given something ridiculous, like an AJ Feeley type trade. Pat White is horrible. I saw enough of him to know that any sort of "progress" just goes from horrible to bad. Miami can't afford to have Pat White as a backup to Henne. The season is over if Henne gets hurt.
Keep him on board as some sort of slash player like Randle El, Kordell Stewart or like Hines Ward was (is there reason these are Steelers?)

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:07 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This must be some of what the Trifecta saw prior to the draft. We definitely didn't see any of this.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:37 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Pat White will likely be "striding" for another team very soon.....or in another profession. How could anyone actually believe this guy could beat out Thigpen for a spot on our squad?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:44 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Jeez tough crowd... kid gets 1 season and limited playing time to prove he's some sort of All-Star.

He wasn't great... but who's to say he can't be something special? Clearly we haven't seen it yet, but I'm on the wait and see approach here. We already used the draft pick on him... we really have nothing to lose.

Oh I forgot, we could lose Tyler Thigpen... whoopidy doooo

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
Jeez tough crowd... kid gets 1 season and limited playing time to prove he's some sort of All-Star.

He wasn't great... but who's to say he can't be something special? Clearly we haven't seen it yet, but I'm on the wait and see approach here. We already used the draft pick on him... we really have nothing to lose.

I'd much rather have a reliable back up(Thigpen) than a project(White).

Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:52 am

Alex13 wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

I'd much rather have a reliable back up(Thigpen) than a project(White).

Thigpen played 1 game for us, in which he lost the game on an airborne throw (and yes I saw the game and realize the only reason we were even still in it was because of him, but that doesn't denote the fact that his interception ended it), and he was 3rd string on a Chiefs team that featured Matt Cassel and Brodie Croyle.

How and why is he a reliable backup?

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:26 am

He was the 3rd string QB in KC because he did not fit their system. The year previous with Edwards aas the head guy, Thigpen was the starter for more than half the season, (just his 2nd year in the NFL), and had 18 TD's to 12 INT's, with a 55% comp. pct. (solid enough).

He also TORCHED Miami's defense with his athleticism as well as his arm; a Miami defense that had not allowed a TD since the Patriot game 3 weeks earlier, and who had not allowed a TD in 5 of their last 6 games.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I want Thigpen on this team. If he comes in, I know the team still has a great chance to win with him in their...he can makes plays with his arm and legs...which is perfect for this offense. He's a risk taker, and that is why you have him backing up someone else. He's not going to go to the Pro Bowl...he is Frank Reich, and I think Bills fans are happy they had him around.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Iowafin wrote:
I want Thigpen on this team. If he comes in, I know the team still has a great chance to win with him in their...he can makes plays with his arm and legs...which is perfect for this offense. He's a risk taker, and that is why you have him backing up someone else. He's not going to go to the Pro Bowl...he is Frank Reich, and I think Bills fans are happy they had him around.

I agree!! If White or Pennington comes in we are done!! Is Reich available??

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

I agree!! If White or Pennington comes in we are done!! Is Reich available??
I don't know, but we could see if Bledsoe will come out of retirement. He still has a year left in the tank.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:22 pm

I heard Jeff George wants a job....

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

You guys are silly when you have someone like Troy Aikmen the Phins could easily bring in.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:59 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

thigpen seems like a poor man's brett favre

Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]