View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Jason Taylor unlikely to return to Dolphins 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Jason Taylor unlikely to return to Dolphins
Sorry if already posted - did not see this one.

ORLANDO, Fla.—It sounds like the Miami Dolphins are closing the door on re-signing outside linebacker Jason Taylor(notes), a former NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Unless the finances could be worked out, Taylor seems unlikely to return.

Especially based on Dolphins coach Tony Sparano’s comments today at the NFL owners meetings.

“He’s been a super guy for me," Sparano said during an AFC coaches’ breakfast. "I enjoyed him. I enjoyed having him on my team. I really did. I enjoyed coaching him."

The past tense, in this case, is quite telling.

Unless Sparano is bluffing, it looks like the Dolphins are making other plans that don’t include Taylor.

Cameron Wake(notes) and Charlie Anderson
(notes) could be getting their shot as the Dolphins’ outside linebacker
tandem.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:14 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Jason Taylor unlikely to return to Dolphins
Wow. Based on that one quote they think that means they are closing the door on resigning him? What a joke...yahoo needs to fire all their "journalists" or become the National Inquirer of online blogs.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:16 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Right. Classic knee-jerk journalism. Like has been said elsewhere, when it comes to this admin, BELIEVE NOTHING UNTIL YOU SEE IT, and even then be wary.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:47 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Yeah, he played for Sparano once, last season. His contract is up so his return is unknown at this time. So yeah, past tense is how you refer to him....

He referred to Pennington in the past tense last year while he was still on the roster, and he has been resigned...

So I think this is just what it is. Nothing...

Taylor will not sign until after the draft. He isnt stupid enough to put himself out there as trade bait..

He will most likely sign right around the start of camp, whether or not its with the Fins is unclear, but I dont expect to see him signed anywhere til that time....

Its when they praise a guy that you should worry.. Just ask Gibril :grin:

Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:11 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The Dolphins recently seem to be famous for saying one thing and doing another. Look how glowingly they spoke of both Roth and Wilson right before they cut them a few days later.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:36 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
By ARMANDO SALGUERO
asalguero@MiamiHerald.com
ORLANDO -- Miami Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland has called Jason Taylor's agent one time this offseason but that was about college players. Taylor's name didn't come up during the conversation nearly two months ago and Ireland hasn't called back since.

Coach Tony Sparano, who had a great relationship with Taylor even during the Dancing With The Stars saga two years ago, also had not returned Taylor's messages as of Wednesday morning.

One can understand the team's stance of not publicly commenting about Taylor if they have a strategy for handling his re-signing or even his departure. But to turn your back on a longtime Dolphin and potential free agent answer to your biggest roster need is an undeniable mistake.

So what's going on here?

Is this the way the Dolphins do business?

Is this the way you treat a player who someday will make a push to the Hall of Fame and today can help address Miami's need for a pass-rushing outside linebacker?

No wonder the Dolphins miss as often as they hit when it comes to free agency.

Last season Taylor was Miami's most consistent linebacker. Period. It wasn't Akin Ayodele, Channing Crowder or Joey Porter -- despite everything Peezy fantasized and then told everyone.

Taylor was a good player and one of Miami's best locker-room influences. He was chosen captain along with Jason Ferguson, Chad Pennington and Porter. And when Ferguson and Pennington got injured and Porter went off the reservation, the only player Sparano really talked to about setting the agenda was Taylor.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/24/1 ... z0j8kX5hgz

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:08 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

For one, I don't think Miami will look to re-sign Jason until after the draft. I would like to see him bought back because I think he would be a solid, veteran presence in the locker room and he is still productive as a player.

Now, any time you want more money are you are a 35 year old player, there are going to be some haggling over the contract and what Miami will want to pay, but I believe Jason would be worth bringing back and I think the Phins will bring him back.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I hope they bring him back too. It is a position they are very thin at right now. I think JT has one more year of decent production left in him. But I will understand if they decide to move on. Unfortunately, this is a brutal business where every player/team relationship comes to an end.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:43 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Except for his willingness to reassess himself to become a Dolphin, JT didn't do much last season to prove he's worth more.

If he wants to be here, we'll pay him what he's worth & maybe give him incentives. But the truth is even the classiest players sometimes go out like this.

You know what I love? When journalist can't make sense of our FO, broad yet simple approach to the business. Seems like every week someone has a new theory of how the Tuna will handle things

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I hope the Dolphins reach out to him. I think his play was worth more (In NFL terms) than the contract he got last year.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]