View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Sparano confident team will fill saftey void. 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Sparano confident team will fill saftey void.
Quote:
By BARRY JACKSON
bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

Among the topics Dolphins coach Tony Sparano addressed Tuesday were two positions in flux -- safety and guard.

The Dolphins know they need a starting free safety to replace ousted Gibril Wilson and Sparano insisted Tuesday, ``We'll find the right player for us. I mean, we just will.'' Of failed attempts to sign Antrel Rolle or Ryan Clark, Sparano said, ``We tried.''

New Orleans' Darren Sharper is by far the best unrestricted free agent left, but Miami is not among four teams pursuing him. The Dolphins studied Sharper and haven't necessarily ruled him out but have been focusing on safeties in the upcoming NFL Draft.

They have arranged private visits at team headquarters for Texas' Earl Thomas (an option for Miami with the No. 12 pick) and Georgia's Reshad Jones (a second- or third-round option).

Last week, they went to Atlanta for a private workout with Georgia Tech's Morgan Burnett, a potential second-rounder with 14 interceptions in three years. If the Dolphins cannot find another starting caliber safety, then Chris Clemons and Tyrone Culver will compete to start alongside Yeremiah Bell.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/24/1 ... z0j6rQpsfs

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:23 am
Profile YIM
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Sparano confident team will fill saftey void.
I realize it's all speculation, but do you think the fact that the Dolphins aren't pursuing Darren Sharper is a strong indicator that they plan on taking a safety in the first 2-3 rounds?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:01 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
I realize it's all speculation, but do you think the fact that the Dolphins aren't pursuing Darren Sharper is a strong indicator that they plan on taking a safety in the first 2-3 rounds?

I think it's a strong indicator that Darren Sharper is old.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

lol, true, but still way more productive than anybody we had on our team last year.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:42 am
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

I don't think the problem with Sharper is ability, as he led the league in Ints. I think it is the reluctance of ParSparLand to give a player that age a multi-year deal. Since they have actively pursued FAs at two high-$ positions (meaning the players get a hefty contract), hit on one and missed on the other, I think they take a S within the first two picks. I hope it's Thomas at #12.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:27 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think we're strapped for cash, too. Even though it isn't a salary cap year, the Dolphins are acting as if it were to be ready for 2011.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:52 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

The draft has nice depth and quality in regards to safaties. Eric Berry will not be there for Miami unless they trade up, but you have Nate Allen of USF, Morgan Burnett of Georgia Tech, Taylor Mays of SC, Major Wright of Florida, Myron Lewis of Vanderbilt and Robert Johnson of Utah.

These are all quality FS that can be drafted at various points in the draft. Berry and Mays in the 1st round, Allen and Burnett in the 2nd round, Wright in the 2nd-3rd round, Lewis in the 4th-5th round and Johnson in the 5th-6th, and Johnson has 13 career interception and he is a 6th round projection.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:43 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Culver ! Culver !

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:57 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Safety is a position where a rookie can have an immediate impact so I would say that taking one is a strong possibility. BTW, Sharper might have had 7 picks which attests to his ball skills but that defense wasn't exactly lighting up the world against the pass. They were ranked 26th against the pass. 10th out of 12 teams in the post-season.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:33 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I like Tyrone Culver and think he would be a nice FS, but I don't think there any question that a FS will be drafted.

In regards to Sharper, he had 9 picks this year and returned multiple picks for TD's, although the one against Miami should have been a touchback.

Sharper did his part, but Miami will not probably look at him due to his at age at 34 years old.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]