View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Could Miami take CJ Spiller at #12? 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Could Miami take CJ Spiller at #12?
CJ Spiller is a player I am very familiar with as he played for Clemson. I have read that the Dolphins have talked with CJ at the combine.

At 5'10 5/8, 196 lbs and blessed with 4.37 40 speed, Spiller is a big play waiting to happen and he can upgrade the Dolphins in the punt return game, he can also return kickoffs, is excellent out of the backfield in the passing game and runs stronger than Reggie Bush does between the tackles.

A trio of Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams and Spiller would be lethal.

This is the write up from cbssportsline.com.

Overview

The expectations for Spiller have been great ever since he surprised most recruiting analysts by choosing to come to Death Valley. He averaged more than 10 yards per carry in high school, making several All-American squads after his senior season.

Although his touches on offense had been somewhat limited as the "Lightning" in "Thunder and Lightning" with James Davis (Cleveland Browns, sixth round 2009) over the first three seasons of his career, Spiller more than lived up to the hype as a playmaker. He entered his senior campaign having already set the Clemson record with 4,908 all-purpose yards. As it turns out, he was just getting started.

Fighting through nagging foot injuries, Spiller enjoyed a 2009 season for the history books. As a running back, he produced 1,212 rushing yards and 503 receiving yards, the first player in ACC history with at least 1,000 yards rushing and 500 receiving in the same year. Spiller was the only player in the NCAA to score a touchdown in every game in 2009, finishing the year with 21.

As an all-purpose performer, his 191.4 yards per game broke a 41-year record. He was the first player in college football history with 3,000 yards rushing, 2,000 yards in kickoff returns, 1,000 yards receiving and 500 in punt return yards. He is only the third consensus All-American in Clemson history (Terry Kinard in 1982, the late Gaines Adams in 2006) and was voted the ACC MVP.

Blessed with elite speed (finished second at the ACC 100 meters last year to teammate wide receiver Jacoby Ford), superior elusiveness and return skills (NCAA record seven career kick return touchdowns, including four in 2009), Spiller's production and versatility is sure to earn high first-round consideration. Teams will worry about his ability to hold up at the NFL level due to his size, but considering that he didn't miss a game in four seasons at Clemson, he's as safe as it gets.
Analysis

Inside: Known as a speed back, he has strong muscle definition throughout his frame and runs a lot tougher than most give him credit for. Most dangerous when starting inside and using his quick feet and vision to bounce outside, but isn't afraid to take it north-south if that's what's needed. Keeps his pads down and legs moving through trash inside, often falling forward for extra yardage. Will be challenged to hang onto the ball when facing strong NFL linebackers.

Outside: Excels outside the tackles. Excellent vision and agility, with elite breakaway speed. Few safeties will get an angle on him once he's past the linebackers. Has the speed to turn the corner. Patient running on stretch and zone plays, able to cutback and blow through a hole. Can press the line, then evade penetrating defenders by bouncing outside with quick feet. Able to leap diving defenders and stay in balance after landing. Doesn't shy away from contact at the second level -- willing to plow through a tackle for an extra yard. Ball security can be an issue, as he gets a little loose with the ball when running outside. A potential Pro Bowl punt and kick returner because of his pure speed, willingness to attack the lane, quick cuts through traffic and superior elusiveness with the ball in his hands.

Breaking tackles: Runs with some lean; elusive and strong enough to avoid defenders in space and run through arm tackles. Quick stop-start move to freeze would-be tacklers or let them fly by if they leave their feet. Head fakes or just out-quicks most any defender in space -- usually at full speed. Isn't big enough to consistently get through the grasp of defensive tackles at the line or the wrap of linebackers, but gives good effort.

Blocking: Doesn't act like a track star playing football. Willing to stand up to ends and linebackers in pass protection, although he lacks the bulk to sustain and may struggle to stay strong against top pro linebackers. Will throw a shoulder into much bigger defenders to chip on a lineman before heading to the flat for a check-down pass. Gives effort to help teammates running downfield.

Receiving: Versatile offensive weapon who catches passes over the middle or in the flat, but will also line up in the slot and on the outside. Lightning-quick and ultra-elusive after the catch, often leaving defenders standing still as he jukes them outside or inside. Blows by safeties in coverage, especially on out-and-up routes. Inconsistent hands as a receiver. Will catch most easy passes with his hands and high-point the ball in traffic, but also has lapses of concentration and short-arms passes when expecting a big hit over the middle. Needs to be crisper coming in and out of his routes to sell them better at the next level. Solid hands on punt returns, and actually catches kickoffs at helmet-height with his hands.

Intangibles: Improved his strength and running toughness over the past couple of seasons to become a more complete running back. Looked to be a leader on offense with James Davis, quarterback Cullen Harper and wide receiver Aaron Kelly no longer on the squad in 2009. No major character issues or off-field incidents. Named to the ACC All-Academic team in 2008.

NFL Comparison: Felix Jones, Cowboys

To be perfectly clear, I do believe and hope the Dolphins will focus a good majority of there draft on defensive needs. When you rank 25th in the league in points allowed, you have holes in your defense that need to be addressed.

By the same token, Chad Henne could use some playmakers on the offensive side of the ball as well. Scoring 22 points a game, which ranked 15th in the league is hardly nothing to crow about neither.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:58 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Could Miami take CJ Spiller at #12?
I think he is a very good player, however, I don't think he's a full time RB in the NFL. I think he is a lesser version of Reggie Bush, and more of a 8-12 offensive touches a game kind of guy.

In todays game, RB is a position that you take care of when it becomes a need. Not before; there's just no need to. Right now Miami has the best set of RB's in the NFL, and a lot of needs that can be dealt with in that first round. I think it would be a mistake to take a luxury player like we did with Pat White last year; except we're talking number 12 overall this time. That said, I don't think he should be a serious consideration.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:38 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins, comparing this kid to Pat White is an insult. He instantly upgrades your special teams, from punt returns to kickoff returns. And with the way teams use multiple backs, Miami included, he would not need to worry about carrying the load, but he certainly in my opinion is a better in between the tackles runner than Bush.

He a big play threat every time he touches the ball, something Miami does not have a lot of on the offensive side of the ball.

The Dolphins have talked with CJ, so I just put it out there.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I too like the idea of Spiller. I think we have some issues at RB. Between Ronnie getting hurt pretty much every year and Rickys age, we sure could use some good young talent. I doubt we take him tho.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:59 pm

Not trying to compare Pat White and CJ as players. Obviously give me Spiller any day of the week, night or day, sober or wasted.....

Just comparing the two in that they are/were luxury selections. Types of picks for teams that have a complete roster, and are just looking for that extra playmaking ability.

I'll stop there though because we have differing opinions on Spiller and what exactly he can provide, so we'll be going back and forth for nothing. But I just feel that RB is not a need, and in a day and age where RB's are so plentiful and easy to find, there's just no need to take one early for us unless he is a once in a decade type of player, which I do not beleive he is.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:01 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i think we have larger holes to fill on this roster then at RB

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

rhoads30 wrote:
i think we have larger holes to fill on this roster then at RB

I have never listed RB as an area of concern, although it would not surprise me to see Miami take a RB. Ronnie Brown inability to stay healthy would make it a possible issue and how much longer can you count on Ricky to be what he has been for Miami at his age.

Phins, did you think Chris Johnson would turn out to be the type of special back he is right now for Tennessee. No one even knew who the young man was.

Last edited by phinsfansc on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I really do not see Miami drafting him. It would be great if there is a team wanting him & willing to trade up to draft him.

I'd rather Miami draft Joe McKnight in Rd. 3. Not that I believe McKnight is better, but value wise I think Miami could get more bang for its bucks out of McKnight in Rd. 3.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He's not Felix Jones, Pat White or Reggie Bush....
He's Chris Johnson, and well worth the 12th overall.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:05 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:

Phins, did you think Chris Johnson would turn out to be the type of special back he is right now for Tennessee. No one even knew who the young man was.

I did. I didn't think he'd be a 2k plus yard back, but I knew they were getting something special when they drafted him.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:06 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I did. I didn't think he'd be a 2k plus yard back, but I knew they were getting something special when they drafted him.

That pretty good if you did feel that way about him Iowafin. I know he opened up a lot of eyes with the 4.24 40 at the combine and he had a very nice senior year for East Carolina.

As far as Spiller, I think he is a better version of Bush. He a homerun threat any time he touches the ball and would certainly give Miami's offense an explosive player. He could be Parcells more explosive version of Dave Meggett.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:30 pm

phinsfansc wrote:

Exactly my point...you can find very good RB's later on. There is no need to take one early in round 1 unless he is an Adrian Peterson type RB, or if it's a huge need; neither apply in this case.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald summed it all up in this blog article about a month ago.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... th/page/7/

Wants. Needs. Must haves.

If you are a Dolphins personnel man or coach, you know what these words are about. If you are reader of this blog, you also know what these words are about. These words define the priorities the Dolphins put on their offseason moves.

A quickie tutorial: The must haves are the priority. The team must add talent at this position to function. The needs is next in line. The team needs to improve in this area, but it suggests there are bodies on the roster that can do the job -- although not at the optimum level -- to field a team. The wants? These are the greedy desires. These are the luxuries that can turn very good into great. Teams can make the playoffs without their wants.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z0j8mbOqWI

RB is not a must have or even a need right now. There are to many must have situations to fill right now. NT & OLB are absolute must haves right now. S is also a very high priority. Miami cannot afford to spend that first pick on a RB right now.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:23 pm

^^ exactly right.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:31 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Iowafin wrote:
He's not Felix Jones, Pat White or Reggie Bush....
He's Chris Johnson, and well worth the 12th overall.

Now THAT is a sexy pick.
Graham, Williams, Kindle would be solid & probably wiser but I can't say I'm opposed to Spiller. I guess Mayock was saying don't be surprised if we take CJ for this reason; this player has over 40 TDs & he said about 20 of them were from 50 yards or more?
CJ very well could be the next . . . . . . C . . J

Sometimes a football player is so potentially explosive you have to break tradition & go with it

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:44 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I have always believed you address "needs" after round 1. In the first round you take best player available. When Miami picks at #12, CJ Spiller just may be the best player available.

Im all for it. SD had Brees when selecting Manning (later traded to NYG for Rivers). GB had Favre when selecting Rodgers. Vikes had Carter when drafting Moss. Carolina had invested a 1st round pick in DeAngelo Williams and a couple years later invested another first round pick in a RB (Stewart).

Running back will be a position of need for Miami in a year from now, why not get him this year to develop a chemistry for the young offense? The kid did have 500+ receiving yards, so he is a versatile player.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

As much as I would prefer a #1 receiver, Spiller would at least give us a potentially explosive offensive weapon.....something we have lacked for MANY years.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I wouldn't mind taking Spiller at #12. Sure we "think" that RB isn't a need, but what happens when our "oh so great" rb's go down with another injury??

I am not a believer that we have "the best RB duo in the NFL" and I'm not sure we even crack the top 5. A great player can stay healthy, which one of our backs has proven he can do that??? Sure, there are freak accidents and injuries, but year after year Ronnie is hurt and somehow we still consider him to be an elite player. Please, don't use Elite and Ronnie Brown in the same sentence, I love the guy, but he is not ELITE.

With all that said, Id much rather take defense at #12 and then go with someone like Legarrette Blount in the later rounds.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:50 pm

IamPZ wrote:
I wouldn't mind taking Spiller at #12. Sure we "think" that RB isn't a need, but what happens when our "oh so great" rb's go down with another injury??

I am not a believer that we have "the best RB duo in the NFL" and I'm not sure we even crack the top 5. A great player can stay healthy, which one of our backs has proven he can do that??? Sure, there are freak accidents and injuries, but year after year Ronnie is hurt and somehow we still consider him to be an elite player. Please, don't use Elite and Ronnie Brown in the same sentence, I love the guy, but he is not ELITE.

With all that said, Id much rather take defense at #12 and then go with someone like Legarrette Blount in the later rounds.

Not in the top 5 in RB duos??? The only other tandem that comes close is the duo in Carolina.

I agree we should go defense at 12, but how can you defend taking a player that plays our strongest position, with so many HUGE holes at OLB and NT, and needing another WR? (Not directing at you directly, just people in general).

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:42 pm

So Ray Rice and Willis McGahee aren't a better duo?
Chris Johnson and LenDale White?

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:50 pm

White isn't even mediocre. , and the fact that he gets/will continue to get zero playing time I would not call that a tandem.

And I would take our tandem over McGahee and Rice anyday of the week. I would take Ray Rice though over Ronnie, (mostly because of age), but definitely not Willis over Ricky.

Plus you said not top 5....you only named 2;p.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:53 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
White isn't even mediocre. , and the fact that he gets/will continue to get zero playing time I would not call that a tandem.

And I would take our tandem over McGahee and Rice anyday of the week. I would take Ray Rice though over Ronnie, (mostly because of age), but definitely not Willis over Ricky.

Lol I said not sure he's in the top 5 :ann0y:

I like McGahee much better than Ricky... except he does get hurt too often.

LenDale White isn't that bad, when you got a back looking to get a 2000 yard season though your backup aint gonna get much out of it.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:55 pm

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Lol I said not sure he's in the top 5 :ann0y:

I like McGahee much better than Ricky... except he does get hurt too often.

LenDale White isn't that bad, when you got a back looking to get a 2000 yard season though your backup aint gonna get much out of it.

Which is why it isn't a tandem. More like pure starter and pure backup.

We'll agree to disagree with Ricky and McGahee, but let me just say this; just because a player has had a couple of injuries, does not mean he can't be an elite player. It depends what your definition of elite is, but no I would not call him elite. I would say that there are only 3 elite RB's in the NFL right now, and Ronnie is in that 2nd echelon just behind them.

Ronnie is as complete a RB as you are going to get. He is a great inbetween the tackles runner, and finds ways to get to the edges. He's unbelievably shifty in the 2nd level, and powerful and explosive through the hole. He;s great out of the backfield catching it, and can run the WildCat like nobody else. He is a great (probably the best in the NFL bar none) at picking up the blitz, and is a great character guy and a leader on this offense.

People forget that had it not been for the 2 injuries, you are looking at 2 more seasons in which he makes the Pro Bowl, and maybe ann extra 1000 yarder as his 2008 play would not have been as limited by the coaches.

I think once he goes, (hopefully not for a few more years), people are finally going to realize how much he does for this team, and how hard it will be to replace him, (if it's possible).

He's our best player, and for some people to see him as replaceable, even with the way RB is now a days,...Just gets me frusterated and disapointed. The lack of appreciation is sometimes just sad.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
Which is why it isn't a tandem. More like pure starter and pure backup.

We'll agree to disagree with Ricky and McGahee, but let me just say this; just because a player has had a couple of injuries, does not mean he can't be an elite player. It depends what your definition of elite is, but no I would not call him elite. I would say that there are only 3 elite RB's in the NFL right now, and Ronnie is in that 2nd echelon just behind them.

Ronnie is as complete a RB as you are going to get. He is a great inbetween the tackles runner, and finds ways to get to the edges. He's unbelievably shifty in the 2nd level, and powerful and explosive through the hole. He;s great out of the backfield catching it, and can run the WildCat like nobody else. He is a great (probably the best in the NFL bar none) at picking up the blitz, and is a great character guy and a leader on this offense.

People forget that had it not been for the 2 injuries, you are looking at 2 more seasons in which he makes the Pro Bowl, and maybe ann extra 1000 yarder as his 2008 play would not have been as limited by the coaches.

I think once he goes, (hopefully not for a few more years), people are finally going to realize how much he does for this team, and how hard it will be to replace him, (if it's possible).

He's our best player, and for some people to see him as replaceable, even with the way RB is now a days,...Just gets me frusterated and disapointed. The lack of appreciation is sometimes just sad.

Yeah that stuff is all great... now where is it?? You gotta be on the field to be great.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Not in the top 5 in RB duos??? The only other tandem that comes close is the duo in Carolina.

I'd say these guys are close, if not better:

McGahee/Rice
Barber/Jones
Jacobs/Bradshaw
Washington/Greene
Lynch/Jackson
Moreno/Buckhalter
McFadden/Bush
Johnson/White

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:48 pm

I forgot about Barber and Jones, however, I don't think they are that close anyway. Barber is really on the decline.

Like I said, the only tandem that comes close is Stewart and Williams.

Can someone with a shread of patriotism back me up here??

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Barber is really on the decline.

What the heck?

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:11 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

That vid is just great. I love our duo :)

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:50 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

What the heck?

I know. Really came out of the blue too. Don't know whats been wrong with him, but...ah well. Choice and Jones are a pretty good combo.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:02 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

What the heck?

I know. Really came out of the blue too. Don't know whats been wrong with him, but...ah well. Choice and Jones are a pretty good combo.

How in the world is he on the decline.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Have you watched any Cowboy football the last 2 seasons? Guy gets worse by the minute.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Have you watched any Cowboy football the last 2 seasons? Guy gets worse by the minute.

Have you?

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:18 pm

Lol. Yes. He constantly has these nagging injuries, and even when healthy, he looks slow, doesn't have the same explosiveness or power he used to.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Lol. Yes. He constantly has these nagging injuries, and even when healthy, he looks slow, doesn't have the same explosiveness or power he used to.

His production would beg to differ.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:11 pm

Not really...

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Not really...

He had his second best year statistically last season. Yes really.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:30 pm

Lol. The last 2 seasons were significally worse than the previous 2 years.

This with more help from his passing game, defense, and "back-up" RB's.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Lol. The last 2 seasons were significally worse than the previous 2 years.

This with more help from his passing game, defense, and "back-up" RB's.

What the heck are you looking at? Marion Barber III, RB, for the Dallas Cowboys.

2009+2008= 1817 yards, 14 td's 78 catches for 638 yards and 2 td's. 70 long for a TD

2007+2006= 1629 yards, 24 TD's. 79 catches for 478 yards and 4 td's. long of 29 yards

Significantly worse? More like consistently better.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:46 pm

Those yards are scewed because of the amount of carries he got in 2008 and 09 versus 2006.

His ypc and TD totals, (2 most important stat for power backs, IMO), were significantly lower in 2008 and 2009 than in 06 and 07.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This kind of open, informed debate is why I love this site. Other than the fact that the thread was originally about Spiller, of course. (lol) Truth be told,there is a good argument for taking a rb this year, but in the 1st round, it had better be a sure thing. I don't know if we know that about Spiller, though obviously some feel he is.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next