View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ] 
 Joey Porter Arrested for Assaulting Cop 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Joey Porter Arrested for Assaulting Cop
Quote:
Arizona Cardinals linebacker Joey Porter was arrested outside a Taco Bell this morning after officials say Porter put his hands on a cop.

According to the California Highway Patrol, Joey was driving in a Taco Bell parking lot in Bakersfield -- his home town -- when a friend of Joey's was was stopped by police.

According to officials, Porter pulled up near the action - too close apparently -- because a CHP officer rolled over to his car, where he detected the smell of alcohol coming from Porter's car.

Cops say the officer asked for Porter's driver's license, but he refused to hand it over. ... instead, officials say, the 33-year-old tried to roll up his window.

Cops say the officer tried to reach in the car to manually unlock the car -- and that's when Porter "slapped" the officer's hand away.

According to the CHP, the officer decided to grab Porter's arm -- and that's when things got crazy. Porter allegedly got out of his car "in a confrontational manner."

The officer claims he drew his pistol and ordered Porter to the ground, but he wouldn't comply -- though he did ultimately agree to place his hands behind his head.

Additional officers were called to the scene to aid in the arrest. Porter was eventually taken in to custody and booked at a nearby jail. He was eventually charged with 3 misdemeanors -- DUI, resisting arrest and assault on a peace officer.

Porter recently signed a big fat contract with the Cardinals -- reportedly worth $17.5 million for 3 years.

Story developing ...

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0jPsWTWgZ

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:27 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Joey Porter Arrested for Assaulting Cop
:)

So glad he's gone.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
:)

So glad he's gone.

No kidding. Good timing by us!

: :awe:

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:29 pm

His passes have expired.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Classic Joey.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Why release him when you could get trade value for him?...oh wait...

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:09 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The guy is a legend in his own mind and I hope he gets a healthy suspension.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Not sure a gun being pulled was all that warranted.

I wouldn't call JP's behavior model, but I question the cops here in their zeal to pull a gun.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

i actually hope he doesnt get a huge suspension bc that means ronnie will too... altho he did refuse to be arrested so thats pretty dumb of him and will probably be worse of a suspension than ronnie

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:01 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

eleaf wrote:

I wouldn't call JP's behavior model, but I question the cops here in their zeal to pull a gun.

He hit the cop.. granted it was an arm slap.. I've seen guys get beatdown by the police for less.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:36 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

eleaf wrote:

Way to many variables to make a statemenet like that. No one here knows exactly what was going on. If the officer was smaller than JP and JP was acting aggresively, I have no problem with him pulling his gun. JP ain't exactly a little guy.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

"Assaulting a cop"? You kidding me? He brushes his hand away and that's assault? I can't stand these overreactive officers that blow everything out of proportion so they can trump up more serious charges. If he punched him that would be assault. I can see impeding an investigation, or failure to comply, but assault? Gimme a break.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:11 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phin wrote:
I can't stand these overreactive officers that blow everything out of proportion so they can trump up more serious charges.

Yeah these cops are everywhere and have nothing better to do I'm sure :yawn:

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:06 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Whether the drawing of the gun was warranted, Joey put himself in a precarious position. Glad he is Arizona problem now.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:38 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Overreactive cops????

Here is an older story of an "overreactive" cop that comes to mind....

Quote:
Sgt. Reyka worked as one of three sergeants on the overnight shift (10:00pm-6:00am) and frequently went on road patrol to conduct proactive law enforcement. On August 10, 2007 at approximately 1:30am, Reyka logged a stolen tag on a suspicious car he spotted in the Walgreen's parking lot on the west side of Pompano Beach;[2] soon afterwards residents called in a report of a shooting in that area, and said that a deputy was crouched next to his car. When deputies arrived they found Reyka shot multiple times and near death on the ground outside of his car. Sgt. Reyka was transported to the North Broward Medical Center in Deerfield Beach, Florida where he succumbed to his wounds.

According to detectives of BSO, Sgt. Reyka pulled into parking lot and checked the license plate of a suspicious car. An occupant of the car presumably exited and fired ten rounds at Sgt. Reyka, striking him in multiple places not protected by his bullet resistant vest. A security camera caught a white sedan leaving the area,[3] but it was not found. As of September 2009 his murder remains unsolved,

Wonder why they become so defensive when people act aggressive towards them... If he pulled his gun first would it have been wrong?

Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:48 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

That dude is not worth the bullet, I am SOOOOO glad he is gone.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:33 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

eleaf wrote:

Your a cop approaching the vehicle of a drunken individual and when you ask for his license he pushes your hand away and starts rolling up the window. Are you thinking about the PR hit you will take for taking control of the situation or that he has the potential to speed away and endanger the lives of other drivers and pedestrians? He is already dismissive of you, so how do you figure to stop him, being polite and saying sir please roll down your window?

Until you've walked a mile in the shoes of an officer who is responsible for so many and is so limited because of commentary that they are "overreactive" or that their actions aren't warranted perhaps you should consider other perspectives.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:31 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Wow, whats with all the Dolphin and ex dolphins getting in trouble with the law. Not very common for so many of our players to ahve problems in the off season. Porter, Ronnie, Will, Jason.....next thing u know carpenter and fields are gonna go around kicking inocent bystandards

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:33 am

These threads about players getting into trouble are ridiculous already. They start out with the quote from the local media or the arresting officer & turn into a debate among us about whether the police over stepped their authority or not.
I still say for the most part we are behind Ronnie because he is a Dolphin & we could care less about Joey because he is no longer. But its more than that.
The point missing here is that these guys are getting paid millions to play a kids game & being handed a job that will set them up for life before they turn 35 years old ... & they dont friggin appreciate it!!
The stupidity of these guys , no matter who they play for will never cease to amaze me.
Everyone is presumed innocent & we should not pass judgement before we know the facts but there is a theme here. These guys think they are above the law & can get away with things that you or I cannot ... & for the most part they are right! Until that changes their behavior will not.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
These threads about players getting into trouble are ridiculous already. They start out with the quote from the local media or the arresting officer & turn into a debate among us about whether the police over stepped their authority or not.
I still say for the most part we are behind Ronnie because he is a Dolphin & we could care less about Joey because he is no longer. But its more than that.
The point missing here is that these guys are getting paid millions to play a kids game & being handed a job that will set them up for life before they turn 35 years old ... & they dont friggin appreciate it!!
The stupidity of these guys , no matter who they play for will never cease to amaze me.
Everyone is presumed innocent & we should not pass judgement before we know the facts but there is a theme here. These guys think they are above the law & can get away with things that you or I cannot ... & for the most part they are right! Until that changes their behavior will not.
Amen Brother......could not have said it better myself. These guys need to grow up and appreciate the fact they will never struggle like my family, and the majority of us fans.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:47 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If JP were still a Dolphin, we'd have all kinds of people on this thread defending him. Too me it sounds like the cop overreacted, but who knows, I wasn't there. Irregardless, I agree with others, he shouldn't have been there in the first place and he should have complied immediately to the cop's requests. Better to play it safe than piss off an underpaid guy with a power trip. (and yes I know most cops are probably good guys)

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:47 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

FINesse wrote:

Well said!!! You know I've been watching the NFL religiously since 1978 (Phins fan since '72) and it used to be fun and something to really look forward too. But over the last 20 years the constant influx of information about the players getting in trouble is getting old. I know that "back in the day" players would get in trouble too, but you would hardly ever hear about it. News was relagated to local players and their issues. But with the internet everything is published and out there for everyone to see. With that, the "thug" image has taken root and seems to be something to be proud of. Gone are the days where you could look up to players as a role model or simply enjoy watching them play and not know that they were stopped for a DUI or stopped for dealing dope or getting in shoot outs at night clubs, etc.
I watched Super Bowl XIII last night and was thinking back to my when I was a kid. It was just a game. I miss those feelings about the sport I love to watch.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:50 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
If JP were still a Dolphin, we'd have all kinds of people on this thread defending him. Too me it sounds like the cop overreacted, but who knows, I wasn't there. Irregardless, I agree with others, he shouldn't have been there in the first place and he should have complied immediately to the cop's requests. Better to play it safe than piss off an underpaid guy with a power trip. (and yes I know most cops are probably good guys)

So why assume this guy is on a power trip? You said it yourself, Porter created the situation. The cop is paid to make sure it doesnt escalate and has to do what is necessary to ensure that. A drunken, pissed off 250 lb man poses quite a threat.

My father is a retired state trooper. I've heard too many stories of him having to see the parents of drunk driving victims and others dying in front of him or in his arms. You use whatever force necessary to prevent that.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:56 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phin wrote:
"Assaulting a cop"? You kidding me? He brushes his hand away and that's assault? I can't stand these overreactive officers that blow everything out of proportion so they can trump up more serious charges. If he punched him that would be assault. I can see impeding an investigation, or failure to comply, but assault? Gimme a break.

Who knows what to believe.

As stated in another thread, I dealt with a cop who charged me with batter on a LEO and resisting with violence (two felonies) for asking him "why?" when he told me to leave the front of a club. They also tazed my friend for asking why I was being arrested.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:12 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:11 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Dam...time for another new jersey,, :hithead:

Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:32 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

i like how im a "newbie' now...wtf?

Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:33 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Porter is Arizona's headache and PR problem now. I wish I cared.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Personally, I would have tazed his big arse, pull out my night jack and beat him like a *red-headed step child.

*No offense to the flying tomato or any other red headed individual

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:34 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

As it turns out, new video footage has been released of Peezy's lil' brush with the law.... there's a bit of foul language, so if that offends you, don't click play.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

No charges will be filed against Joey Porter. Looks as if they don't have enough for a conviction. I wonder what else came out during the investigation? Porter claims he was struck by the officer and that he blew at or below the legal limit for alcohol.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5044944

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:54 pm

Phin wrote:
No charges will be filed against Joey Porter. Looks as if they don't have enough for a conviction. I wonder what else came out during the investigation? Porter claims he was struck by the officer and that he blew at or below the legal limit for alcohol.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5044944

Apparently the officer is under investigation for brutality...

Yet another reason for the people on these boards to be hatin on cops. Lol.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]