View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Dan Marino's Secret of Quarterbacking Success 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dan Marino's Secret of Quarterbacking Success
Ethan Skolnick wrote:
While waiting out the rain at his charity golf tournament, Dan Marino shared the secret of quarterbacking success with his most recent, and perhaps most promising, Miami Dolphins successor.

"Pick a guy, let it fly."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Dan Marino's Secret of Quarterbacking Success
And don't run the ball

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:04 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

:)

Once Chad has some big time WR's, maybe. But he doesn't exactly have Clayton, Duper and Moore right now.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:27 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

Once Chad has some big time WR's, maybe. But he doesn't exactly have Clayton, Duper and Moore right now.

You don't think Marino made those guys good? Threw them open? Look at what Brett Favre did for guys like Sidney Rice, Bill Shroeder, Antonio Freeman, Corey Bradford, etc.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:00 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

You don't think Marino made those guys good? Threw them open? Look at what Brett Favre did for guys like Sidney Rice, Bill Shroeder, Antonio Freeman, Corey Bradford, etc.

Exactly. Duper and Clayton were good. But, Marino made them great.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I beg to differ on Favre, he had a running game and played in the weakest division I've ever seen, if Favre played in a different division he'd be no better than Testaverde.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Alex13 wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I beg to differ on Favre, he had a running game and played in the weakest division I've ever seen, if Favre played in a different division he'd be no better than Testaverde.

Look at Bradford's stats with the Texans, and then look at them with the Packers. Look at Sidney Rice without Favre. Antonio Freeman was nothing with the Eagles, although he was old.

Favre made his receivers look good, just like Manning does, just like Marino did.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I agree that Marino made his receivers better.....but Favre has benefitted from better talent around him. Marino almost never had a running game, but Favre had and still has that luxury. If you ask me, Adrian Petersen has made Favre and the Vikings look good. I also think Favre had better quality wide receivers to work with for many years. Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, Greg Jennings and now Sidney Rice, Bernard Berrian and Percy Harvin. Mark Clayton was a great receiver, but I wouldn't bestow that on Duper....and Nat Moore was in the twilight of a brilliant career. Now Keith Jackson and Irving Fryar (and even Keith Byars), those guys did help Marino big time for the few years we got to rent them.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Running game has nothing to do with anything...I'm not arguing that Favre is as good or better than Marino, I'm saying that Favre makes his receivers look good. Sidney Rice is not a "better quality" receiver. He was crap before Favre came.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:55 pm

I beg to differ iowa.

Rice was a solid 2nd round pick who showed a lot of ability in his rookie season. His sophomore year was rough and I believe he had to battle through an injury as well.

He was going to have a good year with or without Favre, but obviously having Brett there did make him that much better. I certainly wouldn't say that Rice was "crap" before Favre got there though.

And did you just say that Favre was as good if not better than Marino???????

BANNED!

Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
I beg to differ iowa.

Rice was a solid 2nd round pick who showed a lot of ability in his rookie season. His sophomore year was rough and I believe he had to battle through an injury as well.

He was going to have a good year with or without Favre, but obviously having Brett there did make him that much better. I certainly wouldn't say that Rice was "crap" before Favre got there though.

And did you just say that Favre was as good if not better than Marino???????

BANNED!

Wow. What have you been smoking lately? Rice did not show "a lot of ability." 31 catches? Heck, Miami "crap" receivers had a 4th rounder catch that many his rookie season. Rice's second season saw 15 catches in the same amount of games. Yet he was poised to have the season he had with or without Favre? Put down the reefer.

Also, no I did not say Favre was as good if not better than Marino. I specifically said I was NOT arguing that.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:28 pm

I thought you meant that he was. My bad.....in that case you shall not be banned.

And so you're saying that Hartline is a "crap" WR?

Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
I thought you meant that he was. My bad.....in that case you shall not be banned.

No, I'm saying he's above average, and Henne is going to be an outstanding quarterback because he also throws his receivers open.
If Favre retires, watch Sidney Rice go back to below average.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:46 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

No, I'm saying he's above average, and Henne is going to be an outstanding quarterback because he also throws his receivers open.

But you just called Rice crap because in his rookie year he put up the same stats that our rookie WR put up....

Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

But you just called Rice crap because in his rookie year he put up the same stats that our rookie WR put up....

Maybe I should have left the irony out of there because you don't get it.

Let's put it this way. A 4th rounder for the Miami Dolphins that started 2 games, with limited playing time caught 31 passes.

Sidney Rice, a 2nd rounder for the Minnesota Vikings started 14 games, playing in all 16 of them, and caught 31 passes.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Marino didn't have Duper/Clayton forever. He made other guys look really good. Inculding TE's and FBs. Being "open" for a guy like Marino is different then being open for any other QB. The rocket release, pin point accuracy and massive spot on bomb pass made even the bad great. That's why the Marks Brothers are not yet in the HOF.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:02 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Ski_Money wrote:
The rocket release, pin point accuracy and massive spot on bomb pass made even the bad great. That's why the Marks Brothers are not yet in the HOF.

The Marks brothers may never make the HOF, but they were very good receivers. They were fearless and had good hands. Henne could use either one of them.

In Marino's last few years he needed more help, but he still could throw the rock on a dime. His problem was that Jimmy Johnson surrounded him with average receivers that could not generate a lot of separation. I promise you Marino's numbers would have been better his final couple of seasons if he had better receivers. I think some of Cutler's problems in Chicago are the same thing.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:22 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I really don't see how Favre isn't in the same conversation as Marino... he was/is a great QB that really gets little to no respect for some reason.

Also, I don't understand why Hartline isn't talked about more... I think I remember seeing somewhere that this kid is 6'3"... wouldn't that make him our biggest active receiver???

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]