View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Source: Rolando McClain visits Dolphins 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Source: Rolando McClain visits Dolphins
Quote:
Rolando McClain seemed like the obvious pick for the Dolphins at No. 12 in the first round when this offseason began. Then the Dolphins paid a mint for inside linebacker Karlos Dansby in free agency and everyone kinda, sorta dismissed the possibility for McClain.

The Dolphins apparently haven't dismissed the possibility.

A source tells me McClain was in town the past couple of days to visit with the Dolphins.

And while that doesn't mean the Dolphins will draft McClain, it obviously shows an interest in the guy. Contrary to what many of you believe, the Dolphins do not bring guys in for the sake of creating smokescreens.

Teams have a limited number of visits and this team doesn't waste those on players they don't like or don't want to know better. This team creates smokescreens by simply saying nothing, zero, nada, zilch, and letting speculation and poor reporting (I've been guilty) do their work.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... hins-.html

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:54 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Source: Rolando McClain visits Dolphins
I'm not surprised. He is the definition of a Bill Parcells type of ILB and would be a ridiculously good compliment to Dansby.

That said, I don'y see him falling to 12 and even if he does, I think Miami does realize, and will address the need for an OLB.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:08 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Would not surprise me in the least bit to see Miami take Rolando.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:44 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Would be pretty happy with McClain at #12... he has a lot more talent in my eyes, than any of the OLB's that will be available here. Take the talent and solidify the middle of the field.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:08 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

McClain would solidify the middle of the Front. The weakness at FS still leaves a gaping chasm. The questions at NT still leave the 'middle' vulnerable. I am not saying he wouldn't be great to snag at #12, but there's other areas that are weaker. You take McClain now and you're basically saying the starter will be the 'Camp winner between he and Crowder.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:23 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I have resigned to the opinion that our #12 pick needs to go to:

Pierre-Paul (DE to OLB?)
Thomas (Safety)
McClain
Taylor Mays
Dan Williams

In no particular order of favorites, just any one of those guys would make me happy...
I think the main areas of concern that need to be addressed in rounds 1 and 2 are Safety and D-Line... McClain at 12 would make our ILB area solid for years to come, but I think we would have to take JT back for another year unless we could find a good OLB in the later rounds..

Taking McClain at #12 would leave a void somewhere... I think we need to address the NT, Safety and OLB as priority right now.

One thing is for certain tho, we cant afford to see any of these longshot craps shoot picks like White and Turner in the early rounds this year... Hopefully these guys look for more fundamentally solid players that need less "developing"

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:28 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
I'm not surprised. He is the definition of a Bill Parcells type of ILB and would be a ridiculously good compliment to Dansby.

That said, I don'y see him falling to 12 and even if he does, I think Miami does realize, and will address the need for an OLB.

+1 .morgan ,graham ,hughes , just not sure they are worth the #12 pick?

Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
I have resigned to the opinion that our #12 pick needs to go to:

Pierre-Paul (DE to OLB?)
Thomas (Safety)
McClain
Taylor Mays
Dan Williams

In no particular order of favorites, just any one of those guys would make me happy...
I think the main areas of concern that need to be addressed in rounds 1 and 2 are Safety and D-Line... McClain at 12 would make our ILB area solid for years to come, but I think we would have to take JT back for another year unless we could find a good OLB in the later rounds..

Taking McClain at #12 would leave a void somewhere... I think we need to address the NT, Safety and OLB as priority right now.

One thing is for certain tho, we cant afford to see any of these longshot craps shoot picks like White and Turner in the early rounds this year... Hopefully these guys look for more fundamentally solid players that need less "developing"

If McClain were drafted I think that would spell the end of Crowder's run in Miami. I'm sure they could land a 3rd rounder for Crowder and use that to address one of their needs. Don't forget this is a deep draft with some scouts saying that there are 50 guys worthy of being a 1st round selection. An extra 3rd rounder could net some serious value.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:11 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If Spiller isn't there...I'd want to trade down desperately...then you could get Cam Thomas and Jerry Hughes. McClain would be nice, but certainly not as nice of value as both of those guys.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:25 am

moley wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

+1 .morgan ,graham ,hughes , just not sure they are worth the #12 pick?

Morgan and Graham are both values around that 12 pick. Jerry Hughes is more of a 2nd round pick.

jammer wrote:
If McClain were drafted I think that would spell the end of Crowder's run in Miami. I'm sure they could land a 3rd rounder for Crowder and use that to address one of their needs. Don't forget this is a deep draft with some scouts saying that there are 50 guys worthy of being a 1st round selection. An extra 3rd rounder could net some serious value.

I agree.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:03 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

you reckon we could get a 3rd rnd pick for him???

if we could i would trade him tomorrow!!! and use the pick to sign the rfa lb
from the raiders k morrison ,he was only tendered a 3rd pick

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:09 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

moley wrote:
you reckon we could get a 3rd rnd pick for him???

I do. I think he is young enough and has upside that a team would value. I think Miami would be okay to keep him but if they want a first round talent to replace him then that is fine as well. Another team may not need to fill that role with that high of a draft pick.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:11 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I'd draft McCLAIN at #12. DANSBY can play OLB. And TORBOR made his name and his fame w/the NY GIANTS as an OLB, and NOT as an ILB. MIAMI had ZIPPO depth at ILB when PARCELLS got here, so he asked TORBOR to try it. Remember now?

Sign JT for one more year; put TORBOR's learning experience on hold, and let him play his best position, which is OLB; and don't be afraid to put McCLAIN, CROWDER AND DANSBY on the field as a "package" some of the time. I/m/o, the OLB "Problem" may be an illusion. And after all, we could get another solid OLB in Round 2 of THIS draft.

That would leave NT and FS as supposedly weak spots. But I place LITTLE importance on the opinions of so-called and self-proclaimed "experts". First of all, they don't see ANY of ANYONE's players 24-7-365. SIP does. And all of those "experts" have newspapers to sell or ratings to maintain. I also place little importance on preseason "coachspeak" and banter from the FO. Do you all remember how highly IRELAND was speaking of G WILSON? So much so that I myself thought "Oh, no!!! Not another year with that horse's a$$ at FS!". Now, go 1 minute into F/A! (Well, not literally, but almost!) WILSON's GONE!

NO, SIR! I don't value "coachspeak", FO banter, or the opinions of sports writers and other self-proclaimed "experts". And I feel that (as Ben Franklin used to say) "actions speak louder than words". For example, IF MIAMI just DOESN'T DRAFT a WR/OLB/TE/FS/NT before Round 5, it says a lot to me: like maybe SIP believes that we're ok w/what we've got at whichever position(s) it is. And I trust SIP a lot more than self-proclaimed geniuses who have "an axe to grind". After all, SIP sees every player we have 24-7-365, and all three are veteran football people w/credentials...unlike the "experts", and everyone the hell else for that matter.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]