View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Brandon Marshall Tearing it up 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Brandon Marshall Tearing it up
2012 stats thru 13 games for Brandon Marshall:

101 catches; 1342 yards; 9 Touchdowns

Funny how Miami had the big play receiver on their roster only to wiz it away for a pair of questionable draft picks. Was it REALLY THAT BAD having him??

Brandon STILL has 3 games left to play......

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Brandon Marshall Tearing it up
Finhead34 wrote:

Funny how Miami had the big play receiver on their roster only to wiz it away for a pair of questionable draft picks. Was it REALLY THAT BAD having him??

I have to keep eating crow with this one. Even if he still continued with the drops and a bad locker room presence, the other receivers and the ground game would be benefiting from the attention he'd be drawing on the field. He'd also be the one guy who could bail out the QB on circus catches and beat the one on ones for jump balls.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yep....many knew before the preseason started that it was stupid to deal away your #1 receiver with no real option to replace him.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

All those years we all clammered to get a YOUNG receiver of his caliber, we finally get him and then we basically give him away and now we are clammering again for another stud wideout.

The guy is a beast and I think the new regime AND Ireland screwed up on this one.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ireland has screwed up plenty. I really think he needs to be gone. This draft is so crucial and I cringe at Ireland getting 5 picks in the first round. He will probably draft 5 more linemen....

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:32 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

While I would love to pile on as well I still think it was necessary for him to go. Simply put he did not want to be here. That is the problem with these prima donna receivers. They are not team guys. Sure I would like to have him here but his unhappiness showed in his play. In Chicago he is re energized , getting the ball from a QB who can really sling it. Here he was the guy who gave up on plays & ran out of bounds instead of getting more yardage. If he was here during this current 5 game stretch he would be tweeting all kinds of BS and would really be a killer for a rookie QB. It was hilarious how some guys here were so psyched by his pro bowl performance , a game where they play no defense.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:47 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I can't discount his season but Mitch is right regarding B.Marshall. Yes, he is having a great year, but didn't for us and got into trouble. Remember, he has a social disorder or something like that so maybe he is to different people.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Lets see what Miami does with the picks they got for him. We are still in the middle of this trade. Its too early to judge.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:23 pm

bobby0112 wrote:
Lets see what Miami does with the picks they got for him. We are still in the middle of this trade. Its too early to judge.

Well one of them was completely wasted with Michael Egnew.

I'd like to see them use the other one to trade back up into the first round for somebody like Tavon Austin. I'm tired of quantity in the draft. I want 2 or 3 premier guys to build around. Not a bunch of potential solid ones, most of whom don't pan out.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:25 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Marshall was just dropping balls and looking angry out there. He didn't want to play here. I don't care if he catches 100 million TD's in one game he wouldn't have done it here and probably would have Ted Ginned it for us a few times. Stop beating a dead horse. He's gone forever.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:34 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

he's part of a continuing bad track record for Jeff Ireland. If he's making those picks....Miami is done. Tired of the extra value meal. It is time to put some dollars on the table. 1 day after meeting with Ireland, Manning signs with the Broncos. 1 day after meeting with Ireland, Harbaugh signs with the 9'ers. Fisher wouldn't touch Miami with a 10 ft pole after meeting with him. Dez Bryant meeting should've been a clue. Can't talk Marshall into staying. This team is snake bit with this little tyrant running the show. It is time to send him packing. No guts, no glory. You don't send your best DB packing for 2 3rds and a side of fries. Good value always gets you beat. Sack up, you want a winner you have to step out and take risks.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He wasn't going to put up those numbers in Miami. Who cares. Is Marshall a good receiver, of course. But he's a lousy teammate and he honestly would have been a nightmare for our staff. I know it sounds crazy considering we're lacking a big physical receiver right now, but we're still better off without him in my mind. Marshall was nothing but trouble, it's only a matter of time before he screws up again.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:23 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I understand why he was let go but I thought it was a bad idea back then and I still do. He was a problem child, but a lot of it was his bodily chemical issues and he showed a willingness to be a better person. I do think the Dolphins were at that point in his contract that they created where they could part ways with him and it not really hurt them cap-wise.

I do think that Bess and Hartline have improved due to not having a "gimme the ball" person. They've stepped up. Also, let's keep in mind that he's happy at Chicago with the quarterback of his choice, so, that is why he is excelling.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:13 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
I do think that Bess and Hartline have improved due to not having a "gimme the ball" person. They've stepped up. Also, let's keep in mind that he's happy at Chicago with the quarterback of his choice, so, that is why he is excelling.

They are getting more looks but I just wonder if they wouldn't be getting more quality looks if the defense had to focus on Marshall more often.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:30 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finhead34 wrote:

What makes Fireland look really bad is that he made no effort to replace him.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:07 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

NFLJunkie wrote:
he's part of a continuing bad track record for Jeff Ireland. If he's making those picks....Miami is done. Tired of the extra value meal. It is time to put some dollars on the table. 1 day after meeting with Ireland, Manning signs with the Broncos. 1 day after meeting with Ireland, Harbaugh signs with the 9'ers. Fisher wouldn't touch Miami with a 10 ft pole after meeting with him. Dez Bryant meeting should've been a clue. Can't talk Marshall into staying. This team is snake bit with this little tyrant running the show. It is time to send him packing. No guts, no glory. You don't send your best DB packing for 2 3rds and a side of fries. Good value always gets you beat. Sack up, you want a winner you have to step out and take risks.

Jimmy Johnson got good value with trading Hershel Walker and built a dynasty. You say that if you want a winner, you have to take risks....which is exactly what he did. He took a risk, and he got good value. No matter what this guy does, people only tend to focus on the negative, which is really sad.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:55 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Project86JLL13 wrote:
Jimmy Johnson got good value with trading Hershel Walker and built a dynasty. You say that if you want a winner, you have to take risks....which is exactly what he did. He took a risk, and he got good value. No matter what this guy does, people only tend to focus on the negative, which is really sad.

Value? ..... look at that production out of Marshall this year. We got fleeced.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:08 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

TommyNoleFin wrote:
What makes Fireland look really bad is that he made no effort to replace him.

Who would have you liked to have replaced him. No rookie wr's come to my mind, but time will tell, as this past wr class seems pretty weak. Of the available free agents at the time, VJax or garcon would have been the only free agents that I would have considered, but im sure that Ireland would be blasted for spending that much on a wide out. This coming draft looks like its loaded with draft eligible players at the wr position, so maybe he is making an effort to replace him....it just happens to be a year later, when the picks and value is there.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:10 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rock Sexton wrote:
Project86JLL13 wrote:

Value? ..... look at that production out of Marshall this year. We got fleeced.

So you expect that production from marshall in miami?? Really? We got the most we could for a player that wasnt going to produce, AT ALL, in miami. Id rather have the cap space and picks over a wr that was going to be worthless.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Project86JLL13 wrote:
So you expect that production from marshall in miami?? Really? We got the most we could for a player that wasnt going to produce, AT ALL, in miami. Id rather have the cap space and picks over a wr that was going to be worthless.

It's not about what he would've produced for us .... it's about us knowing what he'd produce for THEM if he was content with the team he was playing on. That's what this is about at the end of the day with Marshall.

Have fun being content with draft picks that bring the Egnews of the world to this franchise.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:19 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rock Sexton wrote:

It's not about what he would've produced for us .... it's about us knowing what he'd produce for THEM if he was content with the team he was playing on. That's what this is about at the end of the day with Marshall.

Have fun being content with draft picks that bring the Egnews of the world to this franchise.

The only team that was content trading for him was only going to give up the 2 third rounders. Thats what this is REALLY about. I rather have the hope of a pick panning out, than an underperforming wr that eats cap space and will ruin a rookie qb.

You have to remember, we traded 2 second rounders for him, then traded him 2 years later for 2 thirds. If you buy a used car, drive it for two years, put mileage on it, have an accident or two, and go to trade it in two years later, you are not going to get anywhere close to what you paid for it.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:54 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Project86JLL13 wrote:
The team that was content trading for him was only going to give up the 2 third rounders. Thats what this is REALLY about. I rather have the hope of a pick panning out, than an underperforming wr that eats cap space and will ruin a rookie qb.

You have to remember, we traded 2 second rounders for him, then traded him 2 years later for 2 thirds. If you buy a used car, drive it for two years, put mileage on it, have an accident or two, and go to trade it in two years later, you are not going to get anywhere close to what you paid for it.

Used cars are not in their primes! Marshall is!

It's absurd that you'd rather have two third round picks, especially knowing who's doing the grocery shopping with them. We should've gotten more value just based on his potential alone. When he's not happy in a situation, he doesn't play well. It's not rocket science. Everyone on the planet knew Marshall would love to be reunited with Cutler. Why would we do them any favors for such cheap price? It was a firesale at the behest of an incoming coach who wanted absolutely nothing to do with man.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:59 am

jammer wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

They are getting more looks but I just wonder if they wouldn't be getting more quality looks if the defense had to focus on Marshall more often.

Nope. What would happen is there would be someone to throw to in the endzone. Clearly at 1 TD apeice, neither Hartline nor Bess are the post up guy needed for that.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:16 am

Project86JLL13 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Sorry man, his good value just sux. Two thirds for Brandon Marhsall? Two thirds for your best CB? Solid players at those positions are hard to come by. Everybody needs them so they're in demand. Many people don't remember the run between the early 1980s and mid 1990s where Miami didn't have a decent CB on either side of the field. Dan Marino could put up 50 points and the opposing team would put up 51. Our CBs sucked and it wasn't from lack of effort on trying to find replacements. Look no further than the 2012 Dolphins. They've been scouring the FA wire looking for fill-ins. Before Marshall who was the last true dominant WR in Miami....answer: Mark Clayton. Ireland would get taken to the cleaners trading Pokemon with a 6 year old. Save your good value speeches and let me know when he actually makes a good deal.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:23 am

Quote:
The only team that was content trading for him was only going to give up the 2 third rounders. Thats what this is REALLY about. I rather have the hope of a pick panning out, than an underperforming wr that eats cap space and will ruin a rookie qb.

...and you'll be willing to accept subpar teams that underperform over the next 4-5 years until they fire him. FA its good to be wise with dollars and not overpay incoming FA. But when it comes to trading picks, either up or down, he continues a subpar game. He is horrible in that regard. Open your eyes, or not. 8-8 might be okay with you.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am surprised that his personal life has not imploded to the point that it effects his play on the field.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I love how quickly people forget all of the trouble that guy caused when he was here. They forget how we were thanking our lucky stars for getting rid of him because he was facing a possible suspension for yet another off the field incident. But because we're lacking receiver talent right now people want to look at his situation in Chicago and somehow think it would have translated to Miami if somehow he was happy. It's laughable.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:17 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I love how quickly people forget all of the trouble that guy caused when he was here. They forget how we were thanking our lucky stars for getting rid of him because he was facing a possible suspension for yet another off the field incident. But because we're lacking receiver talent right now people want to look at his situation in Chicago and somehow think it would have translated to Miami if somehow he was happy. It's laughable.

:awe:

He plays his best with Cutler. ANyone else and he cries and whines and acts like a beeatch. That's why Denver traded him and that's why we traded him. We wouldn't even half half of what he's doing. Can you imaine RT missing him wide open? He would be throwing his helmet off and worse getting in RTs face, we don't need that. He's a ticking time bomb anyway...

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Just curious how many people actually believe Marshall would have put up similar numbers if he was still wearing a Dolphins uniform????

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:32 am

Makchell wrote:

:awe:

He plays his best with Cutler. ANyone else and he cries and whines and acts like a beeatch. That's why Denver traded him and that's why we traded him. We wouldn't even half half of what he's doing. Can you imaine RT missing him wide open? He would be throwing his helmet off and worse getting in RTs face, we don't need that. He's a ticking time bomb anyway...

I agree but i will add that none of this news is new. We should have been a bit more diligent before the trade & done our homework. This was a bad deal for us all along but this scenario seems to be the standard for us. Going all the way back to Boston to Porter to Ocho we are like the girlfriend who seems to always go back to the guy who treats her like crap.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

We had 2300 yards passing to Hartline, Bess and Marshall last season on offense.

Right now we have 1708 to Bess & Hartline, with 3 games left they probably wont break the mark but they are literally only a few yards away from matching the production of last year

Look at 2011 passing yards vs 2012 passing yards...

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:41 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
jammer wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Nope. What would happen is there would be someone to throw to in the endzone. Clearly at 1 TD apeice, neither Hartline nor Bess are the post up guy needed for that.

Correct, neither is a post up guy, but I'm just wondering if Marshall drawing double and sometimes triple coverage would allow either of them to produce more YAC and find their way into the end zone. Prior to the last few games Tannehill was hitting on some medium and deep passes, perhaps there would be a more open road to the end zone.

Then again, Bess jumps for every pass and Hartline gets tripped up easily so it really limits the extra yardage.

Its all hypothetical, but I think Marshall would have made a difference.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:12 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:
Just curious how many people actually believe Marshall would have put up similar numbers if he was still wearing a Dolphins uniform????

I don't know that. Anything is possible. Regardless the compensation still sucked for a guy in his prime who you know was foaming at the mouth to play with Cutler again.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:04 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
degs wrote:

I don't know that. Anything is possible. Regardless the compensation still sucked for a guy in his prime who you know was foaming at the mouth to play with Cutler again.

Our staff knew about his latest incident off the field when they traded him. They knew he was possibly looking at a suspension. So did the Bears. This is why we only got two 3rd round picks. I honestly think that is all anyone would be willing to give up for Marshall due to his history. When you consider all of the baggage that Marshall brings, two 3rds was honestly a fair deal at that time. Looking at the trade now, it's obvious the Bears benefitted. But we still have another 3rd round pick this year and the jury is still out on our end of the deal. We obviously weren't looking at the here and now when we made that trade.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:24 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Our staff knew about his latest incident off the field when they traded him. They knew he was possibly looking at a suspension. So did the Bears. This is why we only got two 3rd round picks. I honestly think that is all anyone would be willing to give up for Marshall due to his history. When you consider all of the baggage that Marshall brings, two 3rds was honestly a fair deal at that time. Looking at the trade now, it's obvious the Bears benefitted. But we still have another 3rd round pick this year and the jury is still out on our end of the deal. We obviously weren't looking at the here and now when we made that trade.

The supposed "incident" was a non-event. The timing was purely with Philbin's arrival and conditions for him to sign on to coach. Pretty obvious to me.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:56 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

The supposed "incident" was a non-event. The timing was purely with Philbin's arrival and conditions for him to sign on to coach. Pretty obvious to me.

I disagree. Philbin was interviewed for the job on January 7, 2012. He was hired by the Miami Dolphins on January 20, 2012. Marshall's incident happened on March 11, 2012. He was traded on March 14, 2012. So only three days seperate the incident and the trade. That is not a coincidence in my opinion.

Three months seperate Philbin's hire and Marshall's trade. I don't think trading or cutting Marshall was a condition of his appointment.

While Ireland may have been looking to move Marshall, the only obvious thing I see is that Marshall was traded immediately after this incident. He had already been suspended three games before, and was looking at a longer suspension if the league found him in violation of league rules. I don't think the Philbin wanted a player like that on his roster, so he and Ireland decided to trade him.

If you want proof just look at what happened with Chad Johnson. He was arrested on August 12, 2012. He was cut August 15, 2012. Again, exactly three days after the event. Coincidence? Maybe, but I think not.

Philbin doesn't mess around with player conduct. If you cross the line, he'll send you packing. It's been one thing I respect about him. He doesn't want a team full of thugs.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
I disagree. Philbin was interviewed for the job on January 7, 2012. He was hired by the Miami Dolphins on January 20, 2012. Marshall's incident happened on March 11, 2012. He was traded on March 14, 2012. So only three days seperate the incident and the trade. That is not a coincidence in my opinion.

Three months seperate Philbin's hire and Marshall's trade. I don't think trading or cutting Marshall was a condition of his appointment.

While Ireland may have been looking to move Marshall, the only obvious thing I see is that Marshall was traded immediately after this incident. He had already been suspended three games before, and was looking at a longer suspension if the league found him in violation of league rules. I don't think the Philbin wanted a player like that on his roster, so he and Ireland decided to trade him.

If you want proof just look at what happened with Chad Johnson. He was arrested on August 12, 2012. He was cut August 15, 2012. Again, exactly three days after the event. Coincidence? Maybe, but I think not.

Philbin doesn't mess around with player conduct. If you cross the line, he'll send you packing. It's been one thing I respect about him. He doesn't want a team full of thugs.

Again, the incident was a NON-EVENT. It was a rush to judgement before the facts came out and it ended up costing us true value for a player in his prime. Brandon Marshall is no thug btw. The trade is even worse considering they did nothing to attempt to replace him. Just god awfully handed all the way around.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Again, the incident was a NON-EVENT. It was a rush to judgement before the facts came out and it ended up costing us true value for a player in his prime. Brandon Marshall is no thug btw. The trade is even worse considering they did nothing to attempt to replace him. Just god awfully handed all the way around.

You have to consider the context of when it happened. At the time our staff had no way of knowing it was a "non-event" as you put it. So Ireland and Philbin only saw a repeat offender with another off the field problem. They decided at that time to make the move and trade the guy. I can remember the news breaking a couple of days after the trade. A lot of Bears fans were ticked off thinking Marshall was going to get suspended and that the Dolphins hid the information from the Bears.

Did the Bears get the better end of the deal? It's hard to say at this point. They got a good player, we got rid of a trouble maker and picked up a couple of picks. Only time will tell if it was the right move. We've still got another pick to use and Marshall has plenty of time to screw up again.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
You have to consider the context of when it happened. At the time our staff had no way of knowing it was a "non-event" as you put it. So Ireland and Philbin only saw a repeat offender with another off the field problem. They decided at that time to make the move and trade the guy. I can remember the news breaking a couple of days after the trade. A lot of Bears fans were ticked off thinking Marshall was going to get suspended and that the Dolphins hid the information from the Bears.

I don't care what Bears fans thought. The facts hadn't come out yet and you had a lot of money, draft picks, and two years invested in the player who could bring back great value to the franchise. What you're saying just reaffirms my point that Philbin wanted nothing to do with him and it cost legitimate compensation.

Quote:
Did the Bears get the better end of the deal? It's hard to say at this point. They got a good player, we got rid of a trouble maker and picked up a couple of picks. Only time will tell if it was the right move. We've still got another pick to use and Marshall has plenty of time to screw up again.

Give me a break .... right now they DEFINITELY got the better end of the deal. You can sit there and play the what if game all you want, but right now we have a 3rd rounder sitting on the bench who's been a complete disappointment at this stage and another 3rd rounder who'll bring us a player to be named later, ultimately picked by a man who's had a shaky resume picking anything after the first 2 rounds.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I don't care what Bears fans thought. The facts hadn't come out yet and you had a lot of money, draft picks, and two years invested in the player who could bring back great value to the franchise. What you're saying just reaffirms my point that Philbin wanted nothing to do with him and it cost legitimate compensation.

Quote:

Give me a break .... right now they DEFINITELY got the better end of the deal. You can sit there and play the what if game all you want, but right now we have a 3rd rounder sitting on the bench who's been a complete disappointment at this stage and another 3rd rounder who'll bring us a player to be named later, ultimately picked by a man who's had a shaky resume picking anything after the first 2 rounds.

I think two 3rd round picks for a prima donna, troublemaker, lockerroom cancer receiver is more than fair compensation. Marshall is a good player, but he's a terrible teammate (unless your name is Jay Cutler). I'm glad he's gone.

You're right, I can sit her and play the "what if" game, because there are still a lot of what ifs on the table. You blame Philbin and Ireland for jumping to conclusions on Marshall and trading him, yet you do the very same thing with regards to judging this trade. Seems a little hypocritical to me.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next