View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Dolphins best chance at improving WR group is in Free Agency 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins best chance at improving WR group is in Free Agency
Quote:
Justin G (Cali)
What free agent receivers will be available at the end of the season that the Dolphins can actually sign? Also do you think there is any chance to get Fitz from the cards, if so what do you think the Cards will want in return?

ESPN's James Walker
It's interesting because the free-agent class at WR is very strong but the draft is not. Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings would all be good fits for Miami. Either of these guys would work. I think the Dolphins also have to bring back Brian Hartline, but as a No. 2 receiver and move Bess to No. 3. That would be a good start.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/ ... mes-walker

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:22 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Dolphins best chance at improving WR group is in Free Agency
I like the idea of getting Fitzgerald. IDK if he's able to leave Arizona but clearly they got a lot of issues and he won't be elite forever. He brings a quiet dominance that would instantly boost this offense to the top half of the league.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:59 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
I like the idea of getting Fitzgerald. IDK if he's able to leave Arizona but clearly they got a lot of issues and he won't be elite forever. He brings a quiet dominance that would instantly boost this offense to the top half of the league.

It would present Arizona with an interesting option. They clearly need to bring in a QB and having Fitzgerald makes that guy's life a heck of a lot easier.

On the other hand, Miami could offer a king's ransom for a team that needs to rebuild and they'd have to consider it. Maybe 1st and 2nd rounders this year and next? You acquire Fitzgerald, re-sign Hartline, and move Bess to the number 3 spot. Need to get another TE but overall its a great step in the right direction. Chances of it happening - 0.00000001%.

I think the more likely scenario is Miami signs Jennings to a reasonable deal, re-signs Hartline, and spends a high pick on a receiver. I think Wallace and Bowe will get big money elsewhere as plenty of teams need receiving help. Jennings injury history will hurt his value a bit and his familiarity with Philbin might sway Ireland to overpay for him.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Sounds like there will be some pretty decent free agent TEs available too.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:36 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If our staff likes Jennings, then I'm all on board with us making that deal. Jennings is a great veteran receiver that could lead the group and give Tannehill a huge weapon. Jennings is the type of guy who could step in right away and be our #1. Not only that, but he would be able to take pressure off of Hartline and allow Bess to go back to his natural slot position.

I would love to see us sign Jennings and draft another big target in the 1st round.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:33 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'd say forget Jennings after the injuries he's been thru this year. That's not good for a man nearing 30.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:22 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

My first choice has always been Wallace.
I also like Keenen Allen and terence Williams in the draft.
Bowe and Jennings would upgrade us too.
Not a whole lot available at tight end in the draft or FA

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:32 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

You think TANNEHILL is that QB who makes Fitz foam out the mouth over? I see little reasoning as to why he would want to go to Miami (other than it just being MIAMI). However, this team is without a doubt a better team heading in a much brighter direction than Arizona. How old is Fitz now?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
I'd say forget Jennings after the injuries he's been thru this year. That's not good for a man nearing 30.

He's a veteran leader who will instantly make the passing game better. Not only that but he's a player who Philbin will be very familiar with.

We could always work out some kind of injury clause into his contract. We did the same thing with Marshall and his hip when we signed him. So if he stays healthy and plays a certain number of games, then he gets X amount. If he's constantly getting injured and not playing, then he gets X amount. I don't see how this is a risky investment.

The whole thing is actually pretty simple. If Philbin likes and trust the guy, he passes his physical/medical eval with team doctors, and he's willing to sign for a reasonable contract, then why wouldn't you do the deal???

Signing him would allow us to draft another speedster wideout early and double down on wideout talent. Then we'd have Jennings, Hartline, Bess, Matthews, and a speedy rookie as our receivers. That would give Tannehill plenty of targets to spread it around to.

If it were up to me I wouldn't sign any of the veteran free agent wideouts available. I'd much rather see us take two wideouts in the first three rounds and add talent that way. But if I had to choose one of the veteran free agents to pick from then I'd take Jennings simply for the reasons I mentioned.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I would stay away from Jennings... He's defiantly on the slide.. Wallace, or Bowe should fill the need..

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:27 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Wallace 1st and Bowe 2nd.....Jennings has been injured.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Draft a WR in the 1st round AND get Dwayne Bowe.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]