View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dolphins claim Dimitri Patterson 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Dolphins claim Dimitri Patterson
This is from ProfootballTalk.com.

Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2012, 5:25 PM EST
Dimitri Patterson AP

On Monday, the Browns dumped cornerback Dimitri Patterson.

On Tuesday, the Dolphins pounced.

Per a league source, the Dolphins claimed Patterson on waivers.

Patterson, who has a guaranteed base salary of $2.95 million in 2013, will receive $340,000 over the final two weeks of the season from the Dolphins, letting the Browns off the hook.

Patterson is under contract through 2014. Absent a no-trade clause in his contract, Patterson can declare himself a free agent after 2013, a season in which he’s due to earn a base salary of $4.5 million.

It’s a low-risk gamble for Dolphins, who are still technically alive for a playoff berth.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:53 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Dolphins claim Dimitri Patterson
Good move. Was really solid for them last season, and a solid starter for Philly in 2010. Seemed like he just battled injuries this season and Cleveland wanted to get out of that deal.

Miami doesn't owe him anything after this year if they cut him. If not, those final 2 years kick in. So he better really impress them.

That said, it's a really nice, low-risk, high reward move. If he could somehow be that nickel guy they're looking for, CB isn't as big a priority and they have more leverage with Sean Smith.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Damn.......I wish someone would give me $395k for two weeks work.....I may even consider pushing it to three weeks........if it was a cash deal ofcouse.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Where is Rock Sexton with his Ireland head???

He's usually waiting to trash the guy every time he makes a bottom of the roster move.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:

He's usually waiting to trash the guy every time he makes a bottom of the roster move.

I was waiting for you to pump him first. Gotta have you earn that MiamiDolphins.com paycheck ya know!

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I was waiting for you to pump him first. Gotta have you earn that MiamiDolphins.com paycheck ya know!

C'mon! Do it! You know you want to.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:52 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I figured we'd pick him up, but I always felt he was average. He seems to play decently at multiple positions in the secondary.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:38 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The guy can play, he's awesome! Seriously guys, the only reason why the Eagles released him was because they didn't need him they had Assamoowa and Crowmartie. Same with the Browns, their secondary is soooo good, why pay him the money. We stole him at a no risk high reward. Watch this weekend or the next when he takes the field....watch.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:51 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
The guy can play, he's awesome! Seriously guys, the only reason why the Eagles released him was because they didn't need him they had Assamoowa and Crowmartie. Same with the Browns, their secondary is soooo good, why pay him the money. We stole him at a no risk high reward. Watch this weekend or the next when he takes the field....watch.

:)

Im going to bump that jersey's thread and see if they can get one made for me to wear Sunday :ann0y:

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:31 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Im going to bump that jersey's thread and see if they can get one made for me to wear Sunday

lol

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:41 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Im going to bump that jersey's thread and see if they can get one made for me to wear Sunday :ann0y:

Just order one thru Wkloiber13. Image

Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly

New Phins CB Dimitri Patterson is rated as the 47th best CB in the NFL according to @PFF. 54.2% of passes get completed on him in 415 snaps

New Phins CB Dimitri Patterson, who exclusively plays the nickel, has allowed 2 TDs this season. Has a 92.7 QB rating when throwing his way

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly

Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:21 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly

New Phins CB Dimitri Patterson is rated as the 47th best CB in the NFL according to @PFF. 54.2% of passes get completed on him in 415 snaps

New Phins CB Dimitri Patterson, who exclusively plays the nickel, has allowed 2 TDs this season. Has a 92.7 QB rating when throwing his way

What?!? This can't be....no, this couldn't be the reason that 2 teams cut him, could it? No, no, no...the Eagles already have 2 probowl corners and the Browns defense is...well, got lit up by a rookie QB.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:31 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

47th best...doesn't that make better than any CB on the roster?

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Besides Binns , this was the best pick up of any team.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:18 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

NFLJunkie wrote:
47th best...doesn't that make better than any CB on the roster?

Hey, don't rub it in.

:fart:

Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:21 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

That's what I'm saying Junkie. We stole this guy. Between him and Binns, we filled 2 needs without even drafting. The Bengals are loaded at WR and they didn't need him, ditto with Dimtri, buried on 2 teams that give up hardly any TDs and they are set at cornerback. I'm stoked, I hope they play this Sunday to get some reps and then watch out NE!

Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:54 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
That's what I'm saying Junkie. We stole this guy. Between him and Binns, we filled 2 needs without even drafting. The Bengals are loaded at WR and they didn't need him, ditto with Dimtri, buried on 2 teams that give up hardly any TDs and they are set at cornerback. I'm stoked, I hope they play this Sunday to get some reps and then watch out NE!

Let's see how they play before we say they fill two needs. Binns barely played last week and doesn't look likely to see any more of the field than that considering Bess is likely coming back. Patterson will probably get more playing time than Binns, but how much playing time is yet to be determined. The guy still has to pick up the playbook and prove to our staff he can fill an area of need in a very short amount of time. I'm pulling for both guys to contribute, but I just don't know how much they'll really be able to accomplish this late in the season.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:51 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'm being sarcastic WK...lol. Its the bottom of the roster turning so you never know if we find a gem. Most of the time though, these guys amount to nothing. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if they were anything they wouldn't be cut from their respective teams.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:42 am

Patterson balled today...Great game I thought.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:21 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Pretty good pickup despite all the sarcastic remarks about him. You can find serviceable players on the wire. He'll be in our top 4 corners next year.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Pretty good pickup despite all the sarcastic remarks about him. You can find serviceable players on the wire. He'll be in our top 4 corners next year.

You can derive that conclusion from one game vs. the Bills?

It's nice to see him come in and be serviceable, but c'mon. Gonna take more evaluation than that.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:55 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Lol!

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

You can derive that conclusion from one game vs. the Bills?

It's nice to see him come in and be serviceable, but c'mon. Gonna take more evaluation than that.

this game and the fact that he's graded out higher this year than all of our current corners except for maybe Smith.

We got a 2nd round pick for a corner that wasnt even in the top 80 at his position this year, and we got the 47th ranked corner for FREE

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:14 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

He picked up our defense and played well for us today. He gets a big attaboy and a chance to impress the coaches next week when he will get the real test with Brady firing passes past him. I was pleasantly surprised with his play.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It's funny, despite my lack of enthusiasm about Patterson, he actually had a pretty good game today. He had a pretty good season a couple of years ago, and then for whatever reason his level of play dropped off in Cleveland and he was released. While I doubt we'll keep him without restructuring his contract, I do like the idea of us trying to keep the guy if he plays well and finds a niche in the defense that our coaches could use.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:56 pm

from everything i've read and heard he's always been pretty solid at covering the slot.
Maybe we can move Marshall to safety next to Jones and draft a couple corners.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
from everything i've read and heard he's always been pretty solid at covering the slot.
Maybe we can move Marshall to safety next to Jones and draft a couple corners.

If Patterson can prove to our staff that he's capable of filling an area of need these last two weeks. Then perhaps he might be able to be retained going into next season. I think we would still have two years worth of control over him should we choose to pick up the team option on his contract. Besides, Marshall is going to be coming off of a serious back surgery, who knows what he's going to be like come next year.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:25 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

He did have a really good day for someone who has only been on our roster for a week, Binns made a couple catches today too. While neither of them may turn into anything its good to see that.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTMiamiFan wrote:
He did have a really good day for someone who has only been on our roster for a week, Binns made a couple catches today too. While neither of them may turn into anything its good to see that.

Yep, talk about getting a quick return on your investment.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Who was Patterson covering again?

Oh ya.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:29 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I dident say he was the best there rock, he made a couple nice tackles and had a better day then I expected. I don't understand why you need to be negative about it? I dont expect anything from him, it was just good too see that.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:08 am

Rock Sexton wrote:

Oh ya.

He did a hell of a job on Stevie Johnson.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:10 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTMiamiFan wrote:
I dident say he was the best there rock

I never said that you said that.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:32 am

FINesse wrote:
Besides Binns , this was the best pick up of any team.

Quote:
Sherman said Armon Binns is doing a phenomenal job and he's not making mental mistakes.

- Omar Kelly

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:41 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He covered T.J. Graham most of the day.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:

Oh ya.

He was covering whoever was across from him, something our secondary has struggled with this year. You can scrutinize what the guy did all you want. But face the facts. The guy showed up with less than a weeks worth of preparation and he played well. As far as I'm concerned we made a good move going after this guy. He seems like a decent player from what I've seen so far. Who cares if he isn't a shut down corner. We just need guys who can cover at this point.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
He was covering whoever was across from him, something our secondary has struggled with this year. You can scrutinize what the guy did all you want. But face the facts. The guy showed up with less than a weeks worth of preparation and he played well. As far as I'm concerned we made a good move going after this guy. He seems like a decent player from what I've seen so far. Who cares if he isn't a shut down corner. We just need guys who can cover at this point.

I'm not scrutinizing .... but I'm also not jumping the gun because of one performance vs. the lowly Bills.

You jump down my throat when it comes to other players needing time to show their value, but yet you manage to determine that guys like Binns and Patterson are somehow already good pickups. I find it very ironic.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I'm not scrutinizing .... but I'm also not jumping the gun because of one performance vs. the lowly Bills.

You jump down my throat when it comes to other players needing time to show their value, but yet you manage to determine that guys like Binns and Patterson are somehow already good pickups. I find it very ironic.

What players have I jumped down your throat about? Who have I scrutinized that hasn't had adequate time to develop and show what they've got? I think I've been fairly patient with just about every single one of our prospects.

The reason I consider Binns and Patterson as good pickups is because we can use them for the rest of the season, get a little contribution out of them, and then part ways next year if we don't need them. They're extremely low risk and potentially we can get a decent reward out of the deal, such was the case on Sunday when both guys played a significant amount and contributed.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Quote:
CB Dimitri Patterson played on all 67 defensive snaps in his Dolphins debut Sunday.
Patterson was claimed off waivers last Tuesday and immediately made a major impact. The journeyman may have to restructure his contract as he's set to earn $4.5 million in 2013, but he has a chance to stick as a starter or third corner in Miami. Sean Smith is an impending unrestricted free agent and Nolan Carroll/Jimmy Wilson have struggled.

-Palm Beach Post

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next