View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A season of discovery, not disappointment for Dolphins 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post A season of discovery, not disappointment for Dolphins
Quote:
By Omar Kelly, Commentary South Florida Sun Sentinel

2:53 p.m. EST, December 25, 2012
DAVIE —

Raise your hand if you expected the Miami Dolphins to be contending for a playoff spot with a rookie quarterback at the helm.

I beg you to ignore what the Seahawks, Colts and Redskins are doing, and welcome you to the wonderful world of reality if you didn't.

Let me encourage you to not consider 2012 a disappointing season for the 7-8 Dolphins.

Disappointment isn't the appropriate D-word to use when talking about the first year of the Joe Philbin era. It is more fitting to label this a season of discovery for South Florida's NFL franchise.

Be honest . . . we learned so much in '12.

We learned that receiver Brian Hartline can produce a 1,000-yard season if given opportunities he lacked in the past. But the offense clearly needs more playmakers to score more touchdowns.

We discovered life without Jake Long, a four-time Pro Bowler, and the last man standing from the 2008 draft, won't be so bad.

We've concluded the game isn't too big for rookie starter Ryan Tannehill, a converted receiver who started 19 games at quarterback for Texas A&M before becoming the Dolphins' first-round pick.

We can sense that offensive coordinator Mike Sherman is emotionally attached to Tannehill, whom he recruited and coached in college, and will do everything possible to make sure his son - we mean quarterback - succeeds, including babying him.

We found out Reggie Bush is still a viable weapon, especially when he's used in a role similar to the one he played at USC, and with the Saints.

It is impressive that Bush is 40-yards shy of becoming the second tailback in Dolphins history to rush for back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, joining Larry Csonka and Ricky Williams. But completely infuriating that it took Miami's coaches six months to figure out how to use the impending free agent properly.

That brings us to this coaching staff, which I've honestly been disappointed with.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 6866.story

Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:09 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: A season of discovery, not disappointment for Dolphins
Quote:
That brings us to this coaching staff, which I've honestly been disappointed with.

Disagree....The entire team has learned a new system off/def. in a short time..A rookie head coach and subtraction of talented but troublesome players to build for the future. Are all factors..

Losing to the Titans and Jets were the two f's..But overall i give the staff a B

The team is still playing with heart. A win this week and it's an A+

Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't blame the staff. When the players execute the gameplan, we win. When we drop passes, drop interceptions, throw interceptions, fumble, miss fieldgoals, miss tackles, etc, that's when we loose. There is no magic formula here. What our staff is trying to do isn't rocket science. We could very easily be 9-6 or 10-5 right now, but we aren't, and it all boils down to simple execution. I think we simply lack the talent to consistently execute. For that reason this upcoming draft is very important.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

an excellent summary of the 2012 season for a promising team. I was happy with the team development this year. The foundation is strong.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:02 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
an excellent summary of the 2012 season for a promising team. I was happy with the team development this year. The foundation is strong.

Like Mike's article from last year.... The Future Looks Bright

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:19 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Omar Kelly wrote:

I agree and disagree with this. I feel the coaches left a lot of talent on the field. What I mean by that is that all season I scratched my head at the offense as players were expected to fill roles and it took injuries before the coaches decided that they may want to start adjusting their playcalling to the players positives. I get so tired of hearing about hanging it on the players for not executing. There is truth to that, but it is up to the coaches to get the players to execute. I think this was a learning experience for our coaches this year, and I do not have a problem with that at all.

Jeff Ireland did some good things, but he hurt the team this year by not finding an able deep threat to compliment Hartline and Bess. The good thing that by giving away our #1 deep threat, it forced Hartline and Bess to step up their games. I think their growth this year has been something that I didn't count on, so, I am excited to see what they do next year when Ireland has to add a #1 WR.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:20 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

The future has been bright here every off season since 2008 and that just includes the immediate past. When I say here I mean on this board by guys who I will just say swallow the kool aid a little more than the rest of us. I get it , to a lot we have finally found our Marino , Brady , Manning , Unitas , Montana , Elway etc. Time will tell. I suspect we might have found a guy who is not
in that class of guys buy a guy who we can at least win with. However any kind of a sophomore slump or Sanchez style sense of false talent , and we will once again be excited for moral victories & the failure of our rivals.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:35 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Miami is once again looking for the positives in a losing season, while other teams are going to the playoffs. This just gets old.

Watching Miami lose early to destroy their season, then win late to destroy a better draft spot.

I know. This is something for them to build on for 2013. Again other teams win, Miami builds for 20 yrs

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

"You can understand and see talent that guys have, but there is a certain process you have to go through from a learning standpoint and a teaching standpoint," Sherman said. "The sign of a [good] coach is not making the players fit the scheme but the scheme fit the players and being adaptable to them."

But plenty of the team's talent shortfall was by choice considering Ireland traded away Vontae Davis and Brandon Marshall - with Philbin's blessing, if not encouragement - before the season's started.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

look, we haven't looked like this in awhile, I don't care what you guys say, it's not the typical Miami season. We were very close to a playoff spot and now looking at the 'biggest offseason' in Miami history. We've never had so much money and high picks to work with before. Our front office did a nice job of putting this franchise in a winning position. Good things are coming.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

As far as the coaching goes, I would say there is one negative (glaring) on their resume for the year, and that's their unwillingness to use Bush properly until the last couple of weeks. Countering that, though are several BIG positives, and it all comes down to player development. The growth of guys like Hartline, RT, Martin and especially Reshad Jones shows that they are able to coach these guys up and help them reach their potential. The guys are playing hard and the team has played better down the stretch as the season winds down instead of tanking.

Ireland, regardless of your feelings about him, seems to have by far his best season. Yes, he whiffed on Egnew, but he got us a starting caliber QB, LT, Fullback, kick-returner and depth at several other positions in one off-season and continues to demonstrate a knack for finding gems in the CFL. He must be held accountable for the failure to land us a deep threat, but we seem to have gotten the better end of the Davis trade for sure, at least at this point.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:42 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

swerve13 wrote:
look, we haven't looked like this in awhile, I don't care what you guys say, it's not the typical Miami season.
Its a typical Miami season for the last 20 Yrs. We said the same things after 2011 & finishing the season 6-3. Miami is still looking for something positive & to build on. This team is still void of talent at the key positions. Still lacks the ability to win the big games. Still a very below avg team.

swerve13 wrote:
We were very close to a playoff spot
That is comparable to a teen age boy getting a kiss from his sister. It is a girl.

swerve13 wrote:
and now looking at the 'biggest offseason' in Miami history. We've never had so much money and high picks to work with before. Our front office did a nice job of putting this franchise in a winning position. Good things are coming.

Sorry, but late 2nd & 3rd Rd. picks do not turn me on, especially when Miami drafts 5th & 6th Rd prospects like Pat White, Egnew, Patrick Turner in the 2nd & 3rd Rd while passing over more talented players at positions of need. I have become to expect doing the wrong thing from this franchise. Heck even when they have high 2nd Rd. pick they draft players like Merling.

They trade top 15 picks & pass on stud players for solid, but not game changing players like Odrick & Misi. How would Demaryius Thomas/Dez Bryant or for that matter Earl Thomas looked in a Miami uniform this year?

Yes, I know they had traded for Marshall, but why not double down & get two stud Wrs & build a scoring O, instead of laying up for one. Has Odrick & Misi won games for Miami in 3 yrs? Could a lesser DT filled the void of Odrick or a lower Rd LB filled the void of Misi?

When coaches & GMs come to Miami they check their balls at the state line & pick them back up when they leave. Parcells was a great team builder until he came to Miami & laid an egg. Muellar won executive of the year in 2000, then could not stick his finger up his arse in Miami..

I'm not encourage by the plethra of money either. Outside Starks has Miami signed a FA that amounted to anything? They might have I just cannot recall one at the moment, especially a playmaker? They might have I just cannot recall one at the moment.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:04 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

FINesse wrote:
The future has been bright here every off season since 2008 and that just includes the immediate past. When I say here I mean on this board by guys who I will just say swallow the kool aid a little more than the rest of us. I get it , to a lot we have finally found our Marino , Brady , Manning , Unitas , Montana , Elway etc. Time will tell. I suspect we might have found a guy who is not
in that class of guys buy a guy who we can at least win with. However any kind of a sophomore slump or Sanchez style sense of false talent , and we will once again be excited for moral victories & the failure of our rivals.

I agree with you in the fact that there has been hope before, only to be hugely disappointed. I think only people with unrealistic expectations think we have a QB that is our next Marino. I only want a talented young QB that can play the game, grow and make plays and be a very good QB, and I think Ryan Tannehill can be that. Time will tell.

Dave makes a lot of good points in his post and I agree with a lot of what he stated as well in regards to were this team is and can potentially be.

The one thing I will say about this team that gives us HOPE is that the Dolphins will have a lot of cap space and 5 of the top 100 picks in the draft and a total of 9 picks if I am not mistaken. Jeff Ireland will have a lot of ammunition to put pieces in place to make the 2nd youngest team in the league a contender.

No question, Jeff Ireland will be the key to this team taking the next step. Also, don't think that Joe Philbin and his staff will not have input in the personnel as well. In the end though, it boils down to Ireland and the signing he decides on and the personnel he drafts.

A lot of people question his ability, and I have been one of those as well from time to time, but we have to hope he does a great job this upcoming off season. HE is the key to this team taking the next step.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:09 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

phinsfansc wrote:
I agree with you in the fact that there has been hope before, only to be hugely disappointed. I think only people with unrealistic expectations think we have a QB that is our next Marino. I only want a talented young QB that can play the game, grow and make plays and be a very good QB, and I think Ryan Tannehill can be that. Time will tell.
Wouldn't you like to know? Is anyone wondering if Luck, Griffen or Wilson are those type Qbs?

phinsfansc wrote:
The one thing I will say about this team that gives us HOPE is that the Dolphins will have a lot of cap space and 5 of the top 100 picks in the draft and a total of 9 picks if I am not mistaken. Jeff Ireland will have a lot of ammunition to put pieces in place to make the 2nd youngest team in the league a contender.

No question, Jeff Ireland will be the key to this team taking the next step.
I really cannot see why any Miami fan would expect Ireland to change his approach in FA. Don't see him going balls to the wall in spending on FA. I expect Miami to look at 2nd & 3rd tier type players.

The only time Ireland has showed he had a pair was when he traded for Marshall, but quickly showed he will allow others to change his approach to team building.

phinsfansc wrote:
Also, don't think that Joe Philbin and his staff will not have input in the personnel as well.
Is that a good or bad thing?

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:20 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dphins, time will tell what you have with Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson, Ryan and the rest of this QB class. It has the potential to be a special class, but time is the ultimate indicator of what these kids will be.

Ireland has to realize that his job is on the line with the upcoming off season. I don't think he needs to be reckless in free agency, but hopefully he realize that a top notch WR via free agency would do wonders for this team. A couple of nice CB would be nice also.

As far as Joe Philbin input on personnel, we will see if that is a good thing or not. I do think he is definitely involved though.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:39 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

it was obvious to anyone with a brain this last offseason that they were setting up and planning for a big 2013 offseason. Philbin's first offseason (and this current season) was all about cleaning house and keeping and finding the players that fit what he wanted to do. Now it's time to add Championship caliber pieces to his team.

and Tannehill may never be Dan Marino but he is easily the best QB Miami has had since Dan left.
That, coupled with all the picks and money in our possesion are All reasons to be very optimistic.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:41 am

Hey I am all for putting another positive spin on another non playoff season. I mean its what I have gotten used to & expect by now.
Just to make it a little easier just copy & paste the quotes below & fill in the players name on the blank line. First one for free agents & the next for the draft because it has become so predictable.

I really like this signing. ________________ just needs a new team & new surroundings. He fills a huge hole.

This was steal. ______________ was projected a top round pick. The upside & potential is huge. He fills a huge hole.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:55 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I really like this signing. ________________ just needs a new team & new surroundings. He fills a huge hole.

This was steal. ______________ was projected a top round pick. The upside & potential is huge. He fills a huge hole.

:)

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:38 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

phinsfansc wrote:
time will tell what you have with Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson, Ryan and the rest of this QB class. It has the potential to be a special class, but time is the ultimate indicator of what these kids will be.
Of course, but my point was. Are those teams sitting around wondering if they are those type QBs or do they already believe they are.

phinsfansc wrote:

Ireland has to realize that his job is on the line with the upcoming off season. I don't think he needs to be reckless in free agency, but hopefully he realize that a top notch WR via free agency would do wonders for this team. A couple of nice CB would be nice also.
Quality CB rarely hit the market. If he brings in Bowe I believe I'll throw up, unless he is the only one out there. Just do not want him to be option 1.. Not sure if they can or will, but does anyone know if Pitts can use the franchise tag on Wallace or if they have some type of agreement not to?

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:50 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:

and Tannehill may never be Dan Marino but he is easily the best QB Miami has had since Dan left.

I believe that this is a premature statement. But I hope it becomes true.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:53 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

swerve13 wrote:
it was obvious to anyone with a brain this last offseason that they were setting up and planning for a big 2013 offseason.
anyone swerve13

Yeap, Philly went big offseason in 2011 & built the Dream Team & that played out great for them. 12-19 in the following two season. NFL is not the NBA where teams are built by FA. NFL Teams cannot sign just the biggest name players & expect them to be a team. I expect Miami fans will be disappointed two weeks into the FA period.

swerve13 wrote:
Philbin's first offseason (and this current season) was all about cleaning house and keeping and finding the players that fit what he wanted to do. Now it's time to add Championship caliber pieces to his team.

No evidence in anything Philben has done to make one believe that he wants high priced
FA players. GB certainly did not build with FA.

swerve13 wrote:
That, coupled with all the picks and money in our possesion are All reasons to be very optimistic.
Its going to have to be proven before I believe Miami will not continue the trend of doing what does not work.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:02 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Miami is once again looking for the positives in a losing season, while other teams are going to the playoffs. This just gets old.

I disagree. While I am as tired of anyone of losing, Philbin is the first HC I have believed could really be "the guy" to right the ship. I had some hope that Sparano could, but just hope, not belief. The three or four or five clowns before Philbin I always thought were bad choices and saw little positive in their time in Miami.

Philbin isn't perfect. Neither is Tannehill. But they are both extremely good and they are learning and showing the qualities you need.

I'm excited by the future and impressed with the 2012 team (which I predicted would only win 5 games).

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:

I'm not encourage by the plethra of money either. Outside Starks has Miami signed a FA that amounted to anything? They might have I just cannot recall one at the moment, especially a playmaker? They might have I just cannot recall one at the moment.

Wake, Bess, Pennington.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:18 pm

I think everyone here wants success , some are just a bit more tired waiting for it than others while also being more skeptical. While I also hope Philbin is "the guy" , we hired other coaches who we were sure were "the guy" as well & most who disagree are really not being truthful. Saban was "the guy" we all wanted & it was certainly a happy day when we got him. While Sparano was a bit of an unknown , Parcells was definitely the guy when we got him & after year one , Sparano was certainly "the guy".
I will grant you Cameron was never the guy but we were still psyched about having him.
It seems we always get "the guy" , the hot college coach , the big name , the successful coordinator. Hasnt worked out so well. By the way .... had we gotten Jeff Fisher , would he be "the guy" right now?
All things considered I wish Parcells wouldn't have screwed over Atlanta to come here , maybe we would have taken Ryan instead of Long & Sparano would still be "the guy".

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:

Watching Miami lose early to destroy their season, then win late to destroy a better draft spot.

I know. This is something for them to build on for 2013. Again other teams win, Miami builds for 20 yrs

We're still rebuilding. There will be a lot of new faces on this squad next year considering how many high draft picks we have. You can't really take too much from this year and say it will roll over into the next. If this was the 2nd or 3rd year under Philbin, then I'd say we'd probably in a place where the majority of our guys will return. But I honestly can't say that about this team. I think we're going to see more new faces this upcoming offseason than we did last offseason.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

I disagree. While I am as tired of anyone of losing, Philbin is the first HC I have believed could really be "the guy" to right the ship. I had some hope that Sparano could, but just hope, not belief. The three or four or five clowns before Philbin I always thought were bad choices and saw little positive in their time in Miami.

Philbin isn't perfect. Neither is Tannehill. But they are both extremely good and they are learning and showing the qualities you need.

I'm excited by the future and impressed with the 2012 team (which I predicted would only win 5 games).

I agree, it's not just the number of wins/losses, it's how we got them. The majority of the losses were close ones that easily could have swung our way. The wins, some of which were against good opponents, were well earned. They say good teams find a way to win. While we did find ways to loose some games. We also won some games we probably shouldn't have. I think the longer Tannehill and Philbin work together the better they'll get at running this team.

I'm very interested to see the outcome of this weeks game against New England. We lost close games to all three of our division opponents the first time we saw them. The second time we faced the Jets and Bills we whooped them pretty good. It will be interesting to see how we fare against New England the second time around. If we win it could be a sign that our staff is slowly figuring out our opponents in the division.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
I think we're going to see more new faces this upcoming offseason than we did last offseason.

..... and even more players having to learn and earn their roles like we saw this year. That "re-building" process will still be alive and well next season IMO, depending on how many of our own free-agents we let go.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Premature indeed....his stats are not all that different from Jay Fiedler's Miami stats....he also had a near equal TD-INT ratio. The team even made the playoffs with Fiedler at QB.

I am hopeful that Tannehill is better than the numbers say. I also realize our receiving corps isn't that great. Tannehill did benefit in that he came into camp knowing the system though.

This off season is huge.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
degs wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

I agree, it's not just the number of wins/losses, it's how we got them. The majority of the losses were close ones that easily could have swung our way. The wins, some of which were against good opponents, were well earned. They say good teams find a way to win. While we did find ways to loose some games. We also won some games we probably shouldn't have. I think the longer Tannehill and Philbin work together the better they'll get at running this team.

I'm very interested to see the outcome of this weeks game against New England. We lost close games to all three of our division opponents the first time we saw them. The second time we faced the Jets and Bills we whooped them pretty good. It will be interesting to see how we fare against New England the second time around. If we win it could be a sign that our staff is slowly figuring out our opponents in the division.

New England has a lot to play for. I wouldn't be too hopeful when our woeful secondary has to stop Tom Brady and company, in Foxboro, on their run to the playoffs. They will be absolutely merciless and will pile on the points if given a chance.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
I think we're going to see more new faces this upcoming offseason than we did last offseason.

..... and even more players having to learn and earn their roles like we saw this year. That "re-building" process will still be alive and well next season IMO, depending on how many of our own free-agents we let go.

I agree, the type of team our staff wants to build isn't going to get done easily. That Packers roster wasn't built overnight. They spent several years building that roster up and several years developing Rodgers. When Philbin, Sherman, and Coyle came to Miami, I felt that what they wanted to accomplish would take at least 2-3 years, maybe longer before it would really take shape and become what they wanted it to be.

I knew the defense would be ahead of the offense right away seeing as how we have several versatile guys in our front seven. But we lacked ballhawks in the secondary, so I knew it would take a couple of drafts to add talent there. Especially after Vontae showed that he couldn't pick up the new defense. He was the closest thing we had to a ballhawk, and we decided to trade him away. But out of this year at least we found out that Reshad Jones is a great young player and should continue to be so for a while.

I also knew the offense would take the most time because we were going to have to draft a quarterback, develop him, and put some weapons around him. Not only that, but we were switching offensive philosophies in terms of us switching to the zone blocking scheme. I knew that Sparano's guys wouldn't fit the mold, and that's why our o-line has been so inconsistent this year. Also, after Marshall left town, I knew it would take a couple of drafts to get the wideout corps up to par. I knew that Hartline and Bess weren't going to cut it. Both of those guys are solid, but the rest of our group is very suspect.

Honestly, looking at this roster. I think we're going to improve with all of the draft picks we have this upcoming offseason. But I honestly think 2014 is going to be the year when you see this whole thing come to fuitition. Draft the talent, develop it, and hope it works out. That's the process, and it's not an easy one.

I know that's not what fans want to hear. But honestly, with all of the rookies we have on the team this year, combined with all of the high draft picks we're going to be adding to the roster next year, we're going to be a very young team for a while.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
New England has a lot to play for. I wouldn't be too hopeful when our woeful secondary has to stop Tom Brady and company, in Foxboro, on their run to the playoffs. They will be absolutely merciless and will pile on the points if given a chance.

That's why I'll be interested to see how we do. Playing them tough in Miami is one thing. It's the whole close but no cigar bit. But if we are able to come into Foxborough and steal a win late in the season, or take them down to the wire. That tells me that we're well coached and that our staff can adapt and overcome. I like what I saw the second go around vs Buffalo and New York. Now I want to see some sort of improvement vs New England.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Phins have also been a bad team for quite awhile. I have been hopefully waiting for many years now to see the Dolphins return to a consistent winning franchise. I want to see results and don't care too much for the continuous rebuilding process. It sucked following the 2012 off season this year and knowing that the Dolphins were not going to be a good team. Surprisingly, they look to have eked out 7 wins with minimal offensive talent (not a single Dolphin offensive team player on the Pro Bowl...but our traded #1 receiver is there again....doh). Still, they also lost games to putrid teams like Tennessee. Meanwhile, other crummy franchises turned it around quickly and are in the playoffs. Same old, same old.....

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

That's why I'll be interested to see how we do. Playing them tough in Miami is one thing. It's the whole close but no cigar bit. But if we are able to come into Foxborough and steal a win late in the season, or take them down to the wire. That tells me that we're well coached and that our staff can adapt and overcome. I like what I saw the second go around vs Buffalo and New York. Now I want to see some sort of improvement vs New England.

While I can appreciate your enthusiasm, New England is hot right now....and will be seeking to get momentum for the playoffs. I really hope the game will be a close one, but it is very hard to imagine that happening.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:33 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dphins4me wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
time will tell what you have with Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson, Ryan and the rest of this QB class. It has the potential to be a special class, but time is the ultimate indicator of what these kids will be.
Of course, but my point was. Are those teams sitting around wondering if they are those type QBs or do they already believe they are.

phinsfansc wrote:

Quality CB rarely hit the market. If he brings in Bowe I believe I'll throw up, unless he is the only one out there. Just do not want him to be option 1.. Not sure if they can or will, but does anyone know if Pitts can use the franchise tag on Wallace or if they have some type of agreement not to?

I would say the Colts and Redskins believed they were getting that caliber of QB judging by their actions. Indy basically pushed Peyton Manning out of the door and the Redskins gave up a bounty of picks to get up and get RGIII.

I'm not a fan of Dwayne Bowe either, as I think he is a head case. I do like Mike Wallace and would not mind offering him a Vincent Jackson type of contract. He is going to hit 30 when the season starts and he coming off an injuries, but Greg Jennings obviously fits into the system perfectly.

Love Percy Harvin talent, but I don't see Minnesota trading him even with the problems he causes and the health issues. Not sure Philbin would want to deal with Harvin anyway.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

While I can appreciate your enthusiasm, New England is hot right now....and will be seeking to get momentum for the playoffs. I really hope the game will be a close one, but it is very hard to imagine that happening.

I don't think so. New England struggled with Jacksonville last week, a team we whooped up on. We played them close in Miami, I have no reason to believe that our staff isn't going to have the team prepared and ready to fight them down to the wire again. I think Tannehill will have a better game than he did the last time we played them, and I think our coaches will have a better gameplan this time around. The running game seems to be doing much better lately as well. If we can run the ball effectively, and Tannehill can show improvement, then I think this going to be a good game. I have no reason to believe that we're going to get blown out.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
I don't think so. New England struggled with Jacksonville last week, a team we whooped up on.

Football doesn't work in transitive properties like that.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:35 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

AQNOR wrote:

Wake, Bess, Pennington.

While correct. I was referring to NFL FA. Wake/Bess were UDFA. Pennington was great in '08. Hate he could not stay healthy.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
I don't think so. New England struggled with Jacksonville last week, a team we whooped up on.

Football doesn't work in transitive properties like that.

Any team can beat any team on any give Sunday. Head to head we only lost to New England by a touchdown the last time we saw them. I think we've gotten better as the season has gone along. If Tannehill plays better this time around, and we're able to effectively run the ball, then I think we can not only keep the game close, but we could win. I know New England is the favorite. But I don't automatically call it a loss.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AQNOR wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

lol, how is it premature? who have we had since?

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:57 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Philly went big offseason in 2011 & built the Dream Team & that played out great for them. 12-19 in the following two season. NFL is not the NBA where teams are built by FA. NFL Teams cannot sign just the biggest name players & expect them to be a team. I expect Miami fans will be disappointed two weeks into the FA period.

You've gotten real negative this year and its definitely understandable. The dolphins are rebuilding ONCE AGAIN and are asking us once again to drink the Kool Aid. There is no real blueprint for success and this could be another whiff, but this could finally be the real move to greatness for us.

I agree with this statement 100%. The dolphins need to make some moves but not too many "big" ones.I think the Bills and Eagles are examples of overhype and chemistry issues. We can look no further than our own history when Shula signed a bunch of players his last year trying to get that last Super Bowl. That team played inconsistently and was embarrassed by the Bills in the first round of the playoffs. That team fought within itself and even Shula lost control of them.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next