View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Dolphins could have nearly $47 million worth of cap space 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Dolphins could have nearly $47 million worth of cap space
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... cap-space/

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 29, 2012, 3:17 PM EST

The Dolphins have given their fans reason for some degree of hope this year, particularly if quarterback Ryan Tannehill continues to develop.

They’re also in a position where they can offer him more help, and by extension more hope for the fanbase.

According to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, the Dolphins could have nearly $47 million worth of salary cap space to use this offseason, if they carry over this year’s unused room (part of which they used to extend Jason Trusnik’s deal through 2014).

Couple that with having five picks in the first 100 selections (via the Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis trades), and Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland has an opportunity for an extreme makeover.

Of course, they have their own free agents to worry about (with left tackle Jake Long topping that list), but they are positioned to make some substantial moves.

For a team that needs multiple playmakers on offense if they want to give Tannehill an honest chance, it’s a good spot to be in.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:02 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Dolphins could have nearly $47 million worth of cap space
I'd like to see them re-sign Bush, Hartline, Smith and Starks. Do your best to grab one good free agent (preferably a WR, either Jennings or Wallace, or maybe a TE like Dustin Keller).

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Good thoughts Jammer. Dustin Keller when healthy is a very good NFL tight end and I would not mind seeing him in a Dolphins uniform. Although I have heard that a couple of tight ends coming out in the draft could be Gronk like beasts. But Bush, Hartline, Smith and Starks, I am with you on for sure.

With nearly 47 Million and a number of draft picks, I am already excited to see how this off season plays out. I would take Wallace, but wish we would get "more" of a impact wide out like a Fitzgerald if your gonna spend that kind of huge money, BUT, I know Fitz won't be available and there really is not a ton of choices.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:01 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Mike Wallace among three Steelers placed on IR

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 29, 2012, 8:18 PM EST

The Pittsburgh Steelers had already ruled out wide receiver Mike Wallace, tackle Mike Adams and cornerback Curtis Brown from being able to play in the team’s season finale against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday.

On Saturday, the Steelers placed all three on injured reserve.

Wallace suffered a hamstring injury during the Steelers loss to the Cincinnati Bengals last week.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There is a reason we have so much cap space......the team is deficient in talent......and heck, they pay too much for the mediocrity that is our roster.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I'd like to see them re-sign Bush, Hartline, Smith and Starks. Do your best to grab one good free agent (preferably a WR, either Jennings or Wallace, or maybe a TE like Dustin Keller).

I agree. I'd let Long walk (but offer him a chance to sign cheap and return as our RT). Then I'd re-sign our veteran free agents like Bush, Hartline, Fasano, Smith, and Starks. I like the idea of adding a veteran who could lead our receiver corps like Jennings (only if Philbin/Sherman sign off on him). But after that I'd want to do the majority of our work in the draft. I feel that our best chance of building this team right is if we do it through the draft.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:25 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

It certainly is all about the draft. Most free agents are available because their present teams who know them best see the decline in their abilities but other teams tend to overpay for their name sake.
However as we approach this time of year & all this "fiscal" talk is in the news I hate the idea of clowns in Washington in charge of my personal fate as well as clowns in Miami in charge of my teams fate.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:41 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

After yesterday's game and some reflection I've actually changed my tune a bit.

I propose, and feel free to rip me to shreds for it, that if both Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings hit free agency that Ireland signs both to big contracts. Here is why.

The talent on this team's offense isn't getting you anywhere. You have a young QB who isn't there yet and needs some help. He's going to be here for the next 3 years and has shown some flashes throwing to the likes of 3rd and 4th receivers, and waiver wire fodder. Give him something where he has zero excuses...two number one receivers. Let Hartline walk, yadda yadda yadda, he'll go to NE and Brady will make him a Pro Bowler. Whatever. Jennings and Wallace would give defensive coordinators fits and allow the running game to open up a bit.

I'm serious here. Miami has an absolute ton of cap space. The one game changing area here is WR speed. You have Wallace as the burner and Jennings working the middle of the field, think about it. devote 18-20 million on those two for next year, it would be worth it. Add Bess, re-sign Fasano and Bush, and you'd still be able to spend on a decent starting tackle. Focus on grabbing the top TE in round 2 or trading into the late 1st.

Even if Tannehill bombs out with this type of roster you could still put together a winning team with a solid backup QB.

The defense is dependable enough that a dynamic offense could mask some holes (kind of the reverse of this year).

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]