View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Martin and Garner Article 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Martin and Garner Article
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 5399.story

I'm by no means an o-line expert but this is kind of what I was hoping for and then some. If Miami doesn't have to spend big dollars or a high draft pick it allows them to focus on WR, DE and CB which are huge areas of need.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:37 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Martin and Garner Article
I'm not too sure if I'd want to go forward with Garner as our long term answer at RT. But he has played fairly well the past few weeks. It's good to see him make the most of his opportunity. I would think at the very least he's earned a chance to compete for the job next year in camp, unless of course we go out and use another first or second round pick on his replacement.

The transgressions that have occured the last few weeks show that a lot of our offensive issues this year have been with the offensive line. If we can get a solid group of guys up front to protect Tannehill and open up rushing lanes for Bush, Miller, and Thomas, then we're going to improve a lot.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:59 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
I'm not too sure if I'd want to go forward with Garner as our long term answer at RT. But he has played fairly well the past few weeks. It's good to see him make the most of his opportunity. I would think at the very least he's earned a chance to compete for the job next year in camp, unless of course we go out and use another first or second round pick on his replacement.

The transgressions that have occured the last few weeks show that a lot of our offensive issues this year have been with the offensive line. If we can get a solid group of guys up front to protect Tannehill and open up rushing lanes for Bush, Miller, and Thomas, then we're going to improve a lot.

I'm not sure he is a long term answer but if you could wait until the 4th round or so to draft a guy to groom knowing that Garner could hold the fort down for a year or two means the offense could focus on picking up more playmakers early on.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:36 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

The better the duo plays, the less likely the chance of Jake Long being back in Miami. With Tom Condom being his agent, I don't see Long looking to take a discount.

Martin looks more comfortable at OLT, and his play has gotten better with him being back at his natural position. Garner has been a surprise, but I agree that you can't go into next year with out him facing some stiff competition to hold on to the starting spot.

Also, Martin needs to go into the off-season and really work on his upper body strength. I have seen him get bull rushed on multiple occasion, and he is going to have to learn to anchor and get stronger so he can handle that.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:01 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I wouldn't mind going forward with these two and use up our money picks on stud playmakers. Like a top flight WR especially. That is #1 right now.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:25 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
I wouldn't mind going forward with these two and use up our money picks on stud playmakers. Like a top flight WR especially. That is #1 right now.

We need big time help at widereceiver and in our defensive secondary. As far as I'm concerned we could literally use three or four out of our first five picks on those two areas.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:

We should draft a high-upside project in round 3 to backup/rotate with Garner at right tackle.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

We should draft a high-upside project in round 3 to backup/rotate with Garner at right tackle.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to draft a couple of offensive linemen in the middle rounds. Or if Jake Matthews from A&M is still available when we pick in the 2nd round, he'd be a great pickup.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

no more 1st round linemen for awhile, please!

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:11 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
no more 1st round linemen for awhile, please!

I wouldn't mind us taking a lineman in the late 1st round. If we were able to trade back, add more picks, and still land a starting lineman, I'd be all for it. I agree we need playmakers at widereceiver and in the defensive secondary, but I just don't have that much faith that many of the guys from the Sparano era (Long, Incognito, Jerry) are capable of running the zone blocking scheme the way our new staff wants. Inconsistency on the o-line has been a major issue for us this year.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Weren't they magnificent tonight vs. the Pats?

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:41 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I agree Swerve. We've been doing this for awhile and it hasn't won us anything. When was the last time an OL won a game for us? They don't QBs and speed do.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]