All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:54 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Lamar Miller said he's up to 225 pounds.
Miller weighed in at 212 at the 2012 Combine and played last season at 218. Entering a contract year, Miller may be looking to add weight in order to handle a bigger workload. His numbers noticeably dipped after he crossed the 15-carry threshold in games last season. The Dolphins are expected to add another back to pair with Miller. He'll likely play close to 220 this season.
Source: Adam Beasley on Twitter

Boy, if Lamar can carry that weight and keep his speed, that would be a BIG Plus.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:05 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I've seen this type of weight gain backfire on runningbacks. Risky.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:11 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

swerve13 wrote:
I've seen this type of weight gain backfire on runningbacks. Risky.

It depends on where he is gaining the weight. Upper body can backfire. Lower body can add power.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:36 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

upper body can add strength for breaking more tackles. He played fine last year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:50 pm 

dolphin25 wrote:
upper body can add strength for breaking more tackles. He played fine last year.

Tackle breaking usually happens because of a lower center of gravity (ie more lower body weight) and increased leg strength.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:03 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I LOVE threads like this.... Such a space filling thread during a blank period in the offseason.

Being 225 in MARCH just shows either 1 of 2 scenarios:
1.) He's been hitting the gym
2.) He's getting fat on McDonald's.

Seeing that HE is saying that he weighs in at 225, probably is stating the first. That he's hitting the weights.... and for what is being reported... he's up 8-10 pounds. That's going to happen pretty easily in 3 months of not being on the practice field.

I wouldnt be surprised if he showed up for OTA's at 230. Big deal.... practicing in pads in August will bring him back down to the low 220's.

Will it backfire? Sure you can make the case for that. that 97 yard run he looked slower than his college speed.... and big deal. I'd rather have a back with burst for 10-20 gains, than a home run threat.

Lets not read too much into this. Didn't Moreno show up in August like 10 pounds over his playing weight? And he looked fine in week 1. Let's worry about RB weigh in's come August.

For now. Kudos! Grats Lamar.... put the time in. You are our lead back, and it looks like he wants it. Im excited to see him get 20 carries a game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:13 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SkyHigh314 wrote:
I LOVE threads like this.... Such a space filling thread during a blank period in the offseason.

Being 225 in MARCH just shows either 1 of 2 scenarios:
1.) He's been hitting the gym
2.) He's getting fat on McDonald's.

Seeing that HE is saying that he weighs in at 225, probably is stating the first. That he's hitting the weights.... and for what is being reported... he's up 8-10 pounds. That's going to happen pretty easily in 3 months of not being on the practice field.

I wouldnt be surprised if he showed up for OTA's at 230. Big deal.... practicing in pads in August will bring him back down to the low 220's.

Will it backfire? Sure you can make the case for that. that 97 yard run he looked slower than his college speed.... and big deal. I'd rather have a back with burst for 10-20 gains, than a home run threat.

Lets not read too much into this. Didn't Moreno show up in August like 10 pounds over his playing weight? And he looked fine in week 1. Let's worry about RB weigh in's come August.

For now. Kudos! Grats Lamar.... put the time in. You are our lead back, and it looks like he wants it. Im excited to see him get 20 carries a game.

Lamar is the one stating he gained the weight, so I don't think he would be boasting about it if he was throwing down Big Mac's.

He looked pretty fast to me on that 97 yard TD run as well, but I guess we see things differently.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:21 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Lamar miller is an ok to good back. That 97 yard run was more of a breakdown of the jets defense. Yes he was fast, but nobody really had an angle on him. It was one cut and gone. Everything worked well on that offensive play.
A guy like todd gurley or any other really good backs will take an ok to poorly blocked play and pick up big yards. Gurleys highlight reel is full of guys with great angles just getting burned by his ridiculous speed. Miller has never done that. Add that to thef act that hes not a short yardage back and hes just an above average guy in the backfield

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Manhattan wrote:
Lamar miller is an ok to good back. That 97 yard run was more of a breakdown of the jets defense. Yes he was fast, but nobody really had an angle on him. It was one cut and gone. Everything worked well on that offensive play.
A guy like todd gurley or any other really good backs will take an ok to poorly blocked play and pick up big yards. Gurleys highlight reel is full of guys with great angles just getting burned by his ridiculous speed. Miller has never done that. Add that to thef act that hes not a short yardage back and hes just an above average guy in the backfield

I think Lamar Miller is more than an "OK" back. I think he a very solid RB. He not Todd Gurley, but there are not a lot of Todd Gurley's out there.

You don't average almost 5.0 yards per carry being an OK back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:02 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

To be fair i said ok to good

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:46 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

A terrible O-Line can make MANY good running backs looks bad. I Remember how bad he looked a few years back when we had games with like 2 rushing yards...probably the worst ground game I've seen. Aside from that, I'm happy to see he is putting in the effort.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:36 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Or he gets popped for PEDs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:23 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Or he gets popped for PEDs.

Oh Mak you are always looking on the bright side!! lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I love hearing this, he has done it the right way, he has added the weight over 2 seasons, allowing his body to slowly adjust to the extra weight, the mistake would have been trying to add all this weight in one season, that's when it back fires, because your body hasn't had time to adjust to the added weight and breaks down.

The added weight paid dividends last year, he was a much tougher RB in-between the Ts last year and I look forward to him being even tougher there this year, many times last year he was that close to breaking big gains from the middle, and I look forward to him being able to do exactly that this year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:36 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Oh Mak you are always looking on the bright side!! lol

haha...someone's got to keep you homers on your toes!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:57 pm 

As long as he doesn't put on weight like David Boston.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:00 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

What a tease Boston was.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:55 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

one back is not enough....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
As long as he doesn't put on weight like David Boston.

Or LaRon Landry.......... :yay:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:43 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

From ESPN Insider ....

Quote:
More carries for Lamar Miller in 2015?

Lamar Miller averaged 13.5 carries in the 16 games he played for the Miami Dolphins last season, but there are indications that he could be setting himself up to carry a bigger workload in 2015.

According to Dolphins reporter Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald, Miller has already beefed up to 225 pounds this offseason.

Beasley writes that Miller played at 218 pounds in 2014, and this could be a sign that the 5-foot-10 running back is preparing his body to handle more carries in his fourth NFL season.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rum ... t?id=28047

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]