All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:20 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rookie tight ends take time to develop, and it will take time for Gesicki to adjust to the NFL. I know we are hoping he comes running out of the gate, but as I'll post below this snippet of Adam Beasley's blog, rookie tight ends usually don't "WOW" people coming out of the gate; so, be sure to scroll down to see it.

Adam H. Beasley wrote:
In the four practices open to reporters this spring, the rookie out of Penn State has been a non-factor. He has even looked lost at times.

As a result, his reps have largely come with the backups this spring, behind returning veterans A.J. Derby and MarQueis Gray.

Now, if the calendar read early September instead of early June, this would be a flashing red light. Instead, it's one of countless unresolved story lines as the Dolphins near their summer break.

"Everything in this league is earned," Dolphins offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains said. "You’ve got to earn it. You’ve got to go out there and do it. Coach [Adam] Gase is a believer in working. You guys know him. He’s a grinder. He came up a unique, hard, long way and he believes that everyone should go that route."

Loggains continued: ". Mike is a little bit unique. Durham [Smythe, the Dolphins' other rookie tight end] is a ‘Y’ and Mike G is more of a … We’ve got to find out exactly what he can and can’t do and what he can and can’t handle early. As the season goes and the offseason goes and training camp, his package will expand and his routes will expand as we found out what he can and can’t do."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/m ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:24 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Egnew 2.0? Lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:23 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:
Egnew 2.0? Lol

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17069&p=219974&hilit=Egnew#p219974

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:29 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Not exactly a ringing endorsement from Loggains.

Sounds like AJ Derby is the early favorite to get most of the reps.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:17 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Sounds like we'll be watching the waiver wire at cut down time. Ugh.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:50 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Sounds like AJ Derby is the early favorite to get most of the reps.

They say that Derby is looking pretty good in this OTA. He's had last year to learn the playbook, and the rookies say that our playbook is more complex than what they had at college. Welcome to the NFL, greenhorns.

Barry Jackson wrote:
“Today was a huge step forward,” he (Gesicki)said, crediting mentoring from backup quarterback Bryce Petty on Friday as well as overall guidance from Tannehill. “I felt pretty confident. Not second guessing myself, lining up quicker, being able to adjust to the defense and playing fast."

Gesicki said the Dolphins’ offense is a “different system” than Penn State’s, with “more terminology. It’s a challenge, something I’m really striving to master."

The Dolphins, at this point, have no idea who will be starting at tight end in the opener against Tennessee. Gesicki, Smythe, A.J. Derby, MarQueis Gray, Gavin Escobar and Thomas Duarte are all competing.

“Everybody has had their shots [with the first team],” Gesicki said. “I [couldn’t] care less about a depth chart. I just want to be able to learn this playbook, play fast, play confident. That’s when I am at my best. When I get to that stage, that’s when I’m going to be lining up with the ones.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]