All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:22 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

....they have us picking 2nd overall....wow....this sure doesn't promise us a fun year.... But what the heck, it's here so let the debate begin! ....*(I know this is so far ahead that it means little but it's interesting to see who the prospects are...nothing else going on, so why not?)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/11/2019- ... tt-stidham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

If we play so poorly that we pick #2 overall means that most of us will be doing this ....

:disappear

which would mean that Tannehill got hurt again. Whether he plays or is injured, it means we need a QB if we finish with the 2nd worst record in the NFL.

I don't get the NFL media experts. Most of them think we are going to tank this year. What am I missing with this team? I'm thinking we'll flutter between the 7-9 and 9-7 record, and I'm not that big a homer.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:30 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Ditto. Everyone has the Fins becoming the Bungels of the NFL this coming year, not only all media circles but the betting services also. And from other sources Gase is on the top of the list of coaches to be fired. All in all a pretty bleak outlook but like you I don't see anything resembling doomsday. I expect in this first year of a "re-build, re-tool, re-(fill in the blank)", an ending that has the arrow pointing way up for subsequent years. Yeah, a middle of the road ending record-wise but nevertheless better things to look forward to.

There are reasons to be optimistic. I like the off-season personnel changes, especially on offense. On the o-line our luck has to change and not only ensure we line up the same five every game but that the two new (older) pickups are not in fact in decline while at the same time the young no. 1 tackles start meeting expectations. If those three things happen, maybe a lot to ask for that hard luck position group, the line has to be a huge upgrade. Then we have the WRs. Again, I see an upgrade there as well and why should they also not meet expectations? Amendola and Wilson have the credentials. We know what we have in Stills. Only Parker remains a frustrating piece. And we are due to have a productive TE with the changes there. However, the problem that remains unsolved is what good are those potential weapons if, 1) we have bad play at the QB position, 2) the system of the so far disappointing Gase isn't what it's all cracked up to be, and 3) his play calling continues to suck. Given that this is a passing league that unsolved problem could be the basis for all the negative forecasts and who can blame them? Many, ourselves included, doubt Tannehill, even healthy. And the same thing with Gase. Just who is he and is he really as good as he is/was cracked up to be?

Over on defense, so much depends on how good the offense is that it will be difficult to expect that side to become the purple people eaters and dominate. We need ball control, moving the chains, taking the lead, make the other team have to play catch-up for the job of the defense to become easier and exploit their strength which should be the pass rush and hopefully an improved secondary. Oh, and a LB, a S, anybody, that can cover a darn TE! If those things happen turnovers in our favor can be a reasonable outcome, and then Drake, Gore and co., can eat clock.

Too much to ask? Maybe, but heck, I can't wait to find out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Did 2016 happen in an alternate reality? Asking for a friend.

Reasons to be optimistic:

Gase has upgraded his position coaches

Tannehill is healthy and played his best ball under Gase

Drake showed the ability to have a major breakout season

Miami added smart receivers who know how get open

Miami upgraded the OL

Miami upgraded the LB group

Miami has a very deep DE rotation

Miami added one of the best overall players in the draft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:40 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
I'm thinking we'll flutter between the 7-9 and 9-7 record, and I'm not that big a homer.
So a typical Miami team for the last 25 yrs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:32 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Big Dave wrote:
I'm thinking we'll flutter between the 7-9 and 9-7 record, and I'm not that big a homer.
So a typical Miami team for the last 25 yrs.

It may very well be a typical Miami team from the last 25 years, but I am hopeful that the arrow is finally pointing up. We should have less hole to fill the following year.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]