All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:06 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Yep. Those who actually watched the games knew this has been a serious problem for years.

MMQB wrote:
1. Miami’s biggest offensive problem last season was not Ryan Tannehill’s injury, Jay Cutler’s divergences, O-line coach Chris Foerster’s infamous video, Julius Thomas’s disappearance or the wide receivers’ inconsistency. It was the offensive line, which head coach Adam Gase never fully trusted. Every 3rd-and-long became a checkdown drill and primer for punting. Gase’s once-potent receiver screen game became ubiquitous and predictable. The ground game became an afterthought.

This team cannot rebound in 2018 if its front five doesn’t improve. Over the offseason, Gase and GM Chris Grier let center Mike Pouncey go, replacing him with seven-year 49er Daniel Kilgore. They supplemented this move by signing 32-year-old guard Josh Sitton. Overall, it’s a downgrade in interior O-line athleticism but, the team expects, an upgrade in reliability. Gase and Grier attempted a similar move at right tackle, shopping expensive 2014 first-round pick Ja’Wuan James. No motivated buyers appeared, leaving the Dolphins to simply hope their gifted tackle plays better. That hope is even thicker on the left side; third-year pro Laremy Tunsil has some of the sprightliest feet in football, but scattershot technique and awareness led to routinely poor play in 2017. There’d probably be serious consideration for moving Tunsil back to left guard, where he dominated as a rookie, but this roster has no other quality tackles. If the incumbent players don’t progress, neither will this offense.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/08/miami ... fl-preview

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:17 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Although I agree, I don't think you can overstate how truly awful Cutler was.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:52 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It's easy to "always" blame the OL. The article said itself Cutler sucked Thomas disappeared. Parker can't stay healthy nor get open.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:19 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I don't know that it is about always blaming the O-line this team had a lot of problems. Debating which one was the biggest problem is something different. I think last year the biggest problem the Phin s had was Cutler. The O-line a close second.

Imo the O-line has been an ongoing problem for years but not always the only or greatest problem.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]