Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
 Post subject: Miami at New York (Jets)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:41 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Okay, time get back into the swing of things with amateur analysis. Miami travels to New York for a 1 PM game. The Jets are coming off a stunning blowout of Detroit and a very impressive debut for rookie QB Sam Darnold (should have been a Dolphin but I'll let it go for now). Vegas has the Jets as 3 point favorites with a 44 O/U. Sounds like they are expecting a 24-20 game which I think could be high but let's take a peek at what to expect.

For Miami's offense I expect to see a little more balance against a good NY defense. Ryan Tannehill probably gets 25 +/- pass attempts and I'd like to see him target the TE on some seam routes as he always did well there. AJ Derby earned starter duties and will be more involved, while Mike Gesicki got pushed around a bit too much and will probably see fewer snaps. Kenyan Drake should get more carries this week and Adam Gase will conserve Frank Gore by giving him another 10 or so carries to get those tough yards. After seeing his impressive debut I expect the Jets to try and take Kenny Stills out of the game. Watch for Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson to be targeted on short throws and trickery plays to expose an aggressive Jets defense.

Speaking of, the Jets defense made Matt Stafford look terrible with four interceptions and added another one for good measure. I expect them to be stout versus Miami and apply plenty of pressure on Tannehill. They didn't register a sack against Stafford but they had him running for his life. Both starting corners, Morris Claiborne and Trumaine Johnson, had interceptions and played well in coverage. Tannehill will not be able to afford costly picks in this game the way he did against Tennessee.

The Jets offense was way better than I expected. Darnold gets the hype but I'm more concerned about Isaiah Crowell slashing through Miami's line or getting around the edge. He had 100 yards rushing on 10 carries with 2 TDs. Granted one run went for 60 yards but those are the back breaking plays that worry me. Darnold will not be afraid to test the secondary and hopefully fellow 1st Rounder Minkah Fitpatrick makes him pay (as well as Reshad Jones, TJ McDonald, Xavien Howard and Bobby McCain). Miami missed way too many tackles against Tennessee, and McDonald and the younger LBs missed coverage assignments. Have to clean that stuff up, especially in a hostile road game.

They key for Miami is how New York enters the game. Will they have inflated egos and try to ride momentum from their Monday night victory? Or can Todd Bowles keep them grounded and focused? If its the latter I have a tough time buying a Miami victory. These divisional games are always tough and goofy (not that a 4 hour weather delay to start the season is normal).

Bowles doesn't have a great track record of controlling that locker room so I think Miami can seize upon a cocky, vulnerable Jets team. It will be an ugly statistical game and I expect turnovers from both sides, but I think Miami can steal one here before Sam Darnold establishes himself as the second best QB in the division.

Miami 19

New York 17

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:07 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Great write Jammer. I'll give my opinion later in the week to hype us up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:59 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Again, great job, Dan. I'm not totally in agreement with your analysis, but it's solid. I'll hold off until later this week as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:57 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I'm curious if you guys buy into the Jets hype or think I'm being too hard on Miami.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:10 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

The jets have a rookie qb the d needs to make him look like one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I'm curious if you guys buy into the Jets hype or think I'm being too hard on Miami.

Still to early in the season to tell imo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:24 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Please ... 24 - 3.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:55 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dolphins 30
Jets 20

Tannehill has one less mistake and the Dolphins convert a 4th and short this time around.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:03 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

27 - 13 Phins win.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:35 pm 

24 - 20 Dolphins win on a late defensive stop. Xavien Howard saves the day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:32 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AQNOR wrote:
jammer wrote:

I only meant for this week. I don't see the Jets keeping it up all season. But will their momentum carry into week 2? Seems some members here don't think so.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:44 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Miami blows out the Jets. Why? Because I will be there with over 1000 members of DolfansNYC!! We will be loud and you should hear us throughout the broadcast.

Phins Up!!!

Oh yeah and :jests:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:25 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
jammer wrote:

I only meant for this week. I don't see the Jets keeping it up all season. But will their momentum carry into week 2? Seems some members here don't think so.

For me I don't trust rookie qb's in the nfl. Seems to me a good pro d coordinator ought to be able to give a rookie fits.

The Phin s 3rd down conversion rate is a concern for me I admit.

Last edited by AQNOR on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:45 pm 

I found it interesting that both Omar and Dave Hyde picked the Dolphins to win a close one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:18 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Parker plays we win.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:32 am 

Kev. 6 snarky sarcastic posts in like 5 minutes. Is this all you really want to bring to the boards? C'mon man.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A little QB scouting for you all for the upcoming game. I really liked Darnold coming out of college, but let's remember that he is a rookie and will make rookie mistakes. While we didn't get sacks last week, we did apply a lot of pressure on the Titans QBs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:39 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

phinsfanmel wrote:
Miami blows out the Jets. Why? Because I will be there with over 1000 members of DolfansNYC!! We will be loud and you should hear us throughout the broadcast.

Phins Up!!!

Oh yeah and :jests:

Get um mel. I will be listening. Go Phins.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:31 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
Kev. 6 snarky sarcastic posts in like 5 minutes. Is this all you really want to bring to the boards? C'mon man.

Because I like Parker I'm being "snarky".. maybe you could worry about yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:42 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Looks to me like he has a pretty good release even if it is long. Very quick and the ball gets there fast.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:22 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ryan Tannehill is 4-5 against the Jets. 3-3 over the past 3 seasons. Funny part, he has won those 3 games in NY and lost in Miami.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

TSN wrote:
New York Jets (-3) vs. Miami Dolphins

Throughout the season we’ll be able to take advantage of early lines posted before the completion of Monday Night Football, and the Jets-Dolphins game is the first example of this. The Jets opened as 1.5-point underdogs but have jumped all the way to 3-point favorites after putting on a dominate road performance on national television against the Lions. Despite the line movement, the public is still backing the Dolphins, with 58 percent of public money going Miami’s way. However, the Dolphins are one of the worst teams against the spread on the road, only covering two of their past 13 games on the road against AFC East opponents.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news ... inp5ikg6hn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:36 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

To counter Daves Negativity :)) , Miami won their last two games in NY by a total score of 53-12 …. take the points. :jests:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:41 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

NFLJunkie wrote:
Ryan Tannehill is 4-5 against the Jets. 3-3 over the past 3 seasons. Funny part, he has won those 3 games in NY and lost in Miami.

He needs to have a clean game and drive the offense to 20+ points.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:09 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hey had a crappy game in NY last year. 50.2 passer rating. Miami won 30-9. However, I agree with you. This Jets team is different and more confident than last year's group.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:56 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The win is most important, but I think a lot of people will feel better if Tannehill throws a clean game to go with it, especially on the road and against a defense that just embarrassed Stafford.

Sitton is now injured and his replacement would be Ted Larsen.

On a positive note it looks like Devante Parker is playing. I really like the idea of Parker, Stills, Gesicki and either Amendola/Wilson/Grant lining up and creating matchup problems.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:56 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:
k-dash wrote:

Because I like Parker I'm being "snarky".. maybe you could worry about yourself.

Yikes not someone trying to say what someone should post on this message board? But seriously becuse I am going with this is supposed to be in fun, anyway I have a genuine curious question. I understand you like Parker. So do I, tremendous potential. I understand you dislike Tannehill so do I and have said so numerous times.

Do you think that so far in their respective careers that Parker has had a better one at his postion than Tannehill has had at his position at similar points in their careers?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Parker can be an average qb's best friend with his size and catch radius.

He had been progressing until last season and now this...So I'm anxious to see if he gets it this year.. I'm not willing to wait seven years.

If you look back you will see I backed Tannehill plenty but enough is enough.
I mean look at the competition behind him this year...Crazy seven years and never had a qb behind him pushing for a job.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:37 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:
Parker can be an average qb's best friend with his size and catch radius.

He had been progressing until last season and now this...So I'm anxious to see if he gets it this year.. I'm not willing to wait seven years.

I mean look at the competition behind him this year...Crazy seven years and never had a qb behind him pushing for a job.

I agree Parker could be something special I just have not seen it yet. I think he has more potential then Tannehill at their respective positions but his lack of taking his job seriously if his teammates, coaches and beat reporters can be believed is cause to me for concern. I hope he works it out this year. In my opinion he is behind Tannehill in his development at his position. This year could be the difference imo on that so we will see.

For me I will try to back players as much as I can even if I don't like them. I see some positive aspects to Tannehill's game, I want the team to do good so I root for him to do good. When he is not doing well he gets plenty of criticism imo. I am not saying you should become his cheerleader but I am curious if you have seen improvement in his game each year? I hope he improves some this year too. Don't get me wrong I am not satisfied with his overall play to date.

I don't like the way the Phins have handled the qb position in the last 7 years but I don't hold Tannehill responsible for that as I don't see it as his responsibility to make that decision. I want to see some competition for the spot too glad to see the coach seems to be looking as well.

I think Boss Ross has been and will continue to be a detriment to the Phins. I hope he learns and does better so I am reluctantly pulling for him too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:09 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Kev1321 wrote:

This is the best argument you have made on the subject and I completely agree.

Green Bay drafted a 2nd Round QB, NE has drafted various QB in early rounds, and several other teams with decent starters have hedged their bets.

I personally like Luke Falk and am not so secretly rooting for him. I know he didn't have the best stint with Tennessee, but he has the skill set to thrive with Gase.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:46 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Kev actually does post some decent posts that makes you think when he isn't focusing so much on his dislike for Tannehill. I've tried to encourage him behind the scenes here to post more on other things than just Tannehill. As I've found so many times, people seem to do what they want to do until they get suspended and never understand the importance of the rules around here. By doing their own thing they actually hurt this forum and we've got to surgically remove the cancer from our "team".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:48 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

JETS WEEK!!

:jests:

AC In The AM wrote:
Said quarterback Ryan Tannehill: “When you win on the road and you get to feel the energy zap out of an entire stadium with 70-80,000 people, it’s the best feeling.”

Or, as cornerback Bobby McCain put it, “I told the younger guys we’re going to be alone in that stadium with a very hostile crowd. I told them to embrace it and get excited because I’m always excited for Jets’ week.”

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/ac-i ... l-us-a-lot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Kev actually does post some decent posts that makes you think when he isn't focusing so much on his dislike for Tannehill. I've tried to encourage him behind the scenes here to post more on other things than just Tannehill. As I've found so many times, people seem to do what they want to do until they get suspended and never understand the importance of the rules around here. By doing their own thing they actually hurt this forum and we've got to surgically remove the cancer from our "team".

We're all Miami fans and want the same thing. We just sometimes disagree on the best path to get there.

I think it is going to be a good season for the team.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:22 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's a few predictions from the popular writers from the PBP.

PBP wrote:
Joe Schad, Beat writer

I like the way this sets up for Miami. Sam Darnold has been christened as the next Joe Namath. The Jets have shifted from underdogs to giant favorites. The loss of Josh Sitton in a game involving Leonard Williams hurts. But I have a gut feeling Ryan Tannehill plays an excellent road game. And that Kenyan Drake has a big game, too.

Dolphins 28, Jets 17

Jason Lieser, Beat writer

Last time the Dolphins went to MetLife Stadium, the Jets were supposedly tanking and still nearly shut them out. Now New York is riding high with rookie Sam Darnold at quarterback, and the Miami offensive line has to deal with stalwart left guard Josh Sitton going on Injured Reserve.

Jets 24, Dolphins 23

Hal Habib, Beat writer

I’m not ready to anoint Sam Darnold as the next Mark Sanchez or Joe Namath, but he sure looked legit in the opener. A bigger worry, though, is whether the Dolphins can handle the Jets’ running attack of Isaiah Crowell and Bilal Powell. Meanwhile, the dogged Dolphins’ attempt to keep this offensive line intact lasted all of one week before Josh Sitton’s injury continued Miami’s jinx at guard.

Jets 24, Dolphins 20

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/fo ... 5jyqs95jL/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:08 pm 

Putting the pedal to the metal.
Elite team. Does anyone in the AFC really worry anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:58 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
Putting the pedal to the metal.
Elite team. Does anyone in the AFC really worry anyone.

Absolutely not.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:18 pm 

First place after today!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:54 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

Green Bay drafted a 2nd Round QB, NE has drafted various QB in early rounds, and several other teams with decent starters have hedged their bets.Q

You guys are giving the man too much credit for the sake of avoiding the same old redundant confrontation. I guess I get it, but the idea of having someone behind T Hill to push him over the last few years is far from revolutionary...more than half the members on this board have shared that idea on numerous occasions.

The artificial praise is amusing though.

Attaboy Kelvin!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:40 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
You guys are giving the man too much credit for the sake of avoiding the same old redundant confrontation.

I'll admit I'm tired of the argument, never goes anywhere. But I don't think I've ever seen that take from him. It was always "Tannehill is an overpaid backup, he is the reason Miami fails" as opposed to "just get someone who will push the guy."

At some point we need to attempt some common ground and not make the Phinfever discourse a battle.

I'm trying to be better about it.

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]