All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:05 pm 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

This isn't a wee wee all over the team type thing. I've been aorund these forums and followed this organization my whole life - I love my Fins. I just don't get it sometimes though. Really I may be way off base here I don't know, but it just seems like when it comes to us hiring a coach, you know, every few years - we're the last in line for the majority of the guys who are candidates that year. We always get pumped when we hear early names like Harbaugh, The Chin, Chucky in Oakland, or whoever it is at the time. But those guys quickly go to other teams, while the Dolphins are sitting here apparently semi-stagnant in the search.

Do they already have the guy in Rizzi and aren't saying anything? Just to see if another options comes ahead of him? Oh wait, we like this guy better and he's interested, sorry Rizzi. Not saying that's the case, it just feels that way.

A lot of guys here liked the Fangio guy from the Bears, the last article I had read on him was he wasn't interested in leaving the Bears, then bam, he goes to Denver.

It just seems the Dolphins get left picking from the scraps instead of someone wanting to come coach here. It's just frustrating sometiems.

*start rant*

We will end up with a low tier coodrainator and all of his family potential and we will be going 6-10 or 7-9 for the next 3-4 seasons on hopes that our new found glorious OC who is a QB whisperer or supposed defense guy "fixes" things. WE NEED a HEAD COACH! Someone who's going to come in here and smack folks around and tell them no, this is the way you build a team.

But herein lies the problem I think. I don't think we're built for someone who has a strong personality to be successful here. Ross and T-bum and those guys are too prideful to admit their wrong and let someone run the ship who knows what they're doing. Yeah, I know it's "changed" this year, but Grier (sp?) is going to be a puppet for Ross. Wait and see.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The last coach hired wasn't an afterthought on the market. Miami aggressively pursued Gase and he was considered one of the better hires that year. Funny enough, the leftover guy who know one else bothered to interview is the only coach from the 2016 class to still be employed. Super Bowl winning coach and still in the playoffs this year Doug Pederson.

The only big name hired this year was Bruce Arians. The rest are not all that impressive and Vic Fangio's hire was due to ceding all power to Elway with personnel picks.

Can Grier make the right move? I don't know. But I like that they are targeting specific teacher/leader types and not one trick ponies. Jim Harbaugh would be the ultimate big splash but I think Ross likes having him in Michigan.

Miami made the huge splash in 2008 by giving power to Parcells. He hand picked his GM and coach. It didn't work out. Philbin was the backup hire when Miami was spurned by Jeff Fisher (thankfully so in hindsight). Then there was the flashy hire of Gase. Miami could still make huge offers to Mike McCarthy , John Harbaugh (via trade) or any big name. I just hope they land a guy who will unleash the talents of his players as opposed to being the know it all who makes players fit his system.

They have talented skill players and some good pieces on defense. Need to find that QB and I suspect there will be some pretty intriguing options when late February rolls around.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:07 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I could be wrong but I think Ross and Grier already have a coach in place but haven't announced it yet. Could it possible be Richards who they can't actually sign until the Cowboys are out of the playoffs. I for one hope this is the coach they have settled on. I will say by having to wait you are losing possible offensive and defensive coaches, but with that said if a plan is in place he probably already has his asst coaches in place. Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:43 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Its not about Miami being the last to get a coach. It's about the guys we want are on playoff teams.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:44 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
Its not about Miami being the last to get a coach. It's about the guys we want are on playoff teams.

How dare Ross want a coach from a winning team. That rascal.

:haha

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:51 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I am very confident that this taking our time approach will work and we will hire our next head coach who will lead us to multiple super bowl victories.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:01 am 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

It's very simple. Who wants to coach in the AFC East if you know you have zero chance of getting your team to the playoffs with home field advantage as long as Brady and Belicheat are still active?

Mark my words, as soon as they retire, Miami will "magically" start getting 1rst rate coaches. Right now, the combination of the terrible ownership and terrible management sandwiched between the luck and skill of Brady and Belicheat.......... there is zero hope of the job being attractive.

Ironically, because real talent is afraid of hurting their stats by coming to the AFC East, it just makes it easier for the Patriots to keep getting to the playoffs and usually with home field advantage.

Because of so much money in the NFL, it is a business and not a sport. Coaches and many players don't give a crap about challenges, it's about the stats and money. More money comes from winning but you have to have a good chance at winning. The AFC East gives you little chance unless you join the Cheatriots.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:28 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rick wrote:
It's very simple. Who wants to coach in the AFC East if you know you have zero chance of getting your team to the playoffs with home field advantage as long as Brady and Belicheat are still active?

I wouldn't want a coach who is afraid to go head-to-head with Belicheat.

Rick wrote:
Mark my words, as soon as they retire, Miami will "magically" start getting 1rst rate coaches. Right now, the combination of the terrible ownership and terrible management sandwiched between the luck and skill of Brady and Belicheat.......... there is zero hope of the job being attractive.

The most attractive quality about a team is who is at QB and how much power the new HC has. I do agree that the front office is important as well as you don't want to go into a no-win situation. Ross does have an open wallet, so, that is important as well. Even though he does stick his nose into decisions, he lets his people have the final say. Check the draft for instance. He tried to convince them to trade down, but they overruled him.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]