Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: RIP Keuch
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:11 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Just read that Bob Keuchenberg, former offensive guard and an important part of the line that helped the Dolphins go to the Superbowl three consecutive years in the 70s has died. Makes me sad. I got to meet him in the early 80s and he was larger than life.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: RIP Keuch
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:24 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

This made me so sad when I first heard about it. Kuchenberg has always been one of my favorite all-time Dolphins players, and for him not to be in the HOF is a travesty. He knew how to play the position the right way and was a big part of the success of the Dolphins through the 70s and early 80s. Today's Guards could learn a lot from him.

Rest in Peace Kooch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:47 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Sad news indeed...Kuech was a gladiator, at probably 240 lbs, he dominated in his day, his outspoken ways probably kept him from getting the votes from the idiots that vote for the HOF.....I remember how Kuech dominated Alan Page, the then version of todays Aaron Donald, in the Super Bowl where Griese only had to throw like 7 times or some ridiculous number, that’s how much they dominated the LOS. Number 67! You won’t be forgotten!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:40 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Rip

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:01 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

So sad to hear. I haven't heard what he died from.

Hal Habib wrote:
Bob Kuechenberg, an All-Pro guard for the Miami Dolphins’ two Super Bowl-winning teams from 1972 and ’73, died Saturday night.

He was 71.

In a statement released by the Dolphins, former coach Don Shula called Kuechenberg “not only one of the best players I ever coached, but one of the toughest.”

Kuechenberg attended Notre Dame and was a fourth-round draft choice of the Philadelphia Eagles, but he spent his entire career with the Dolphins and was renowned for his toughness.

’Kooch,” as teammates called him, once played an entire game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on a broken ankle. After the game, he was carried off the field and taken to the hospital.

He played the 1977 season with a broken back.

And he played Super Bowl VIII, lining up against Minnesota Vikings great Alan Page, despite a fractured forearm wrapped in a cast and a foam pad.

“It was pretty simple,” Kuechenberg told The Post in 2005. “I always believed that the true champions, the truly great players, would lay down limb if not life for the team. It sounds silly, but at my essence I am a warrior.”

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20 ... dead-at-71

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]