Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:25 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Three Yards Per Carry

@3YardsPerCarry
Follow Follow @3YardsPerCarry
More
We can confirm that the Dolphins were indeed "In" on DE Trey Flowers. An Offer was made, and summarily rejected as "Not Competitive". Dolphins were essentially "out" on Flowers last night.

It would seem that we have a game plan and we are sticking to it. Not over spending on free agents so far. Hopefully the over spending on free agents is over.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:04 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Depends on the player and position. For the right QB, I'd overpay.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:16 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

And now we are letting James go. I know he is expensive, but he is a quality starter on an offensive line that only had two quality starters. Watch them let Xavien Howard go too. I get it then....fire sale, burn it to the ground and rebuild through the draft. It remains to be seen if this franchise can learn how to draft well consistently. One thing seems certain to me....we are not drafting a QB. If we are, then I hope he can run like the wind....he will be doing that for awhile in Miami.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:27 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The Patriot Way is to let your overly priced free agents leave, and pick up Compensatory picks for them. The Dolphins should get a 3rd round pick for Ju'Wuan James. If we let Cam Wake go we'll get a 4th round pick. Of course, we also have to stay out of the big signings, too. Letting James leave really hurts, but you just can't pay that kind of money for someone who is good but not great. Got to be smart.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator

I am sure Flores has stolen some of that Belicheck knowledge and we will be active in that FA 2nd and 3rd tier and get some veteran gems at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:35 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Its funny watching the Jets spend themselves into self destruction and realizing we must have looked like that with Mike T. I can say I didn't really see it because they masked it by severely overpaying their own guys who weren't worth it.

At the same time Miami can't be foolish. If you go into this season with all rookies and JAGs its going to kill morale. I don't care if this is beer league softball or professional football, the players will recognize if they have real talent or not. I for one would be ticked off if I was a good player being told to bust my butt while management surrounded me with a bad supporting cast.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:36 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

This approach only works if we draft well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:15 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Once things settle I imagine Miami is going to start signing some guys who have been cut from other teams. Doesn't appear they are going to sacrifice comp picks for next year.

Since they did not get Trey Flowers I imagine their ideal first two rounds of the draft will be either:

Montez Sweat and Dexter Lawrence

or

Christian Wilkins and Charles Omenihu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:29 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

If a team declines a 5th year option for a rookie would that count against future comp picks? Just curious because both Danny Shelton and Malcom Brown were declined by the Pats. If its true Miami has interest in one or both that would clearly shake up the draft strategy I mentioned above.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
This approach only works if we draft well.

Yes, exactly!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:13 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Also surprised Miami has not cut guys like Tannehill, Quinn and Sitton yet. The Parker thing was a surprise but I can see what they are doing with it.

Imagine if they held on to everyone and did a complete re-evaluation year on all parties? That would blow up a few narratives.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:43 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I wonder if the theory is that with the ridiculous numbers flying around, the Dolphins think they might be able to trade Quinn when a team misses out on one of the big guys.

Does anyone know about Sitton's health status?

I haven't been able to find the logic in keeping Tannehill this long unless there's a real thought of keeping him for one more year. That's the only reason I can think of for why he's on the roster right now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:12 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Holding out hope that they can get a pick for Tannehill maybe. There is no immediate time constraint in keeping him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:50 pm 

Said it before and will say it again. Do not be surprised if Tannehill is the bridge QB for 2019.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:19 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Reading an article in the news the FO is going to try to pickup 4 comp picks for next year. By mostly signing players that are released versus free agents.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... 52459.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:00 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

jgod1 wrote:
I wonder if the theory is that with the ridiculous numbers flying around, the Dolphins think they might be able to trade Quinn when a team misses out on one of the big guys.

Does anyone know about Sitton's health status?

I haven't been able to find the logic in keeping Tannehill this long unless there's a real thought of keeping him for one more year. That's the only reason I can think of for why he's on the roster right now.

I think they can save more cap money by cutting him after June 1. That sucks for Tannehill, because he doesn't have as much time to look for a new team, but the Dolphins probably figured they have paid him enough over the years and don't owe him that courtesy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:41 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
Said it before and will say it again. Do not be surprised if Tannehill is the bridge QB for 2019.

Under the same or different contract.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:04 am 

AQNOR wrote:
Rich wrote:

It doesn't matter. What matters is what happens with dead cap once they get rid of him.

If the Dolphins are unable to trade Tannehill AND acquire a bridge quarterback (Tyrod Taylor) for less, he is their best option as a bridge QB.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:12 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I like the idea that Miami is not making any splashes in the toilet pond this year.

I believe Tannehill will be the starter this year.

They will build defensively through the 2018 draft because obviously this draft is built for it.

Next year they will draft heavily on the offensive side of the ball in 2019, because guess what that's what this draft seems built for.

In 2020 they will use their new found cap space to fill the holes.

They will finally contend for playoff spots annually after 2020.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:51 am 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Rich wrote:

Agreed. What other QB on Earth can stay as healthy for so long with a bad OL? I totally get how disappointed people will be with no new QB but Tanny is amazing at surviving the crappy OL.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:28 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
Rich wrote:

It doesn't matter. What matters is what happens with dead cap once they get rid of him.

If the Dolphins are unable to trade Tannehill AND acquire a bridge quarterback (Tyrod Taylor) for less, he is their best option as a bridge QB.

I don't think Tannehill is worth the contract so I think it would be a mistake to pay him this year under the current one and hope the Phin s don't do it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:12 pm 

AQNOR wrote:
I don't think Tannehill is worth the contract so I think it would be a mistake to pay him this year under the current one and hope the Phin s don't do it.

1. Why do you care? It is not your money. And it isn't going to hurt us cap-wise for what we do this year unless we have a chance to obtain a better quarterback thru trade, at which point it only makes sense to cut him.

2. Based on average salary, his contract is ranked 17th in the league among quarterbacks. He is a middle of the road starter and his salary reflects that.

3. If you cannot find another player to serve as a bridge QB and you cut him just because "OMGz it's like so totally unfair what he is getting paid n stuff" you actually put your team in a worst position for what basically amounts to an illogical reason. If you draft a rookie who needs some time to develop, now you have to throw him into the fire before he is ready and possibly cause long term damage. Especially if the rookie you acquire is not a top 10 pick.

4. If you don't acquire a bridge QB that is serviceable, your team will be awful. And that may make a lot of sense to the "Tank for Tua" or "Tank for #1 pick" crowd, but it doesn't make sense to a coaching staff that is trying to establish a locker room culture.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:27 pm 

I'm doubling down on Tannehill returning to the Dolphins this season.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:42 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
I'm doubling down on Tannehill returning to the Dolphins this season.

Wow, I think you nailed it.

A great point has been made by many in the media about tanking. Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Carson Wentz, etc. all QBs were drafted by teams that traded up. Miami can have a successful or mediocre 2019 and still move up to get their QB in 2020 (if that is the plan).

Travis Wingfield keeps tweeting about Jake Fromm being the best fit for what O'Shea and company will be looking for, although that counters what Salguero has said about Miami preferring a mobile QB.

My head hurts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:58 pm 

jammer, as I private messaged you on March 1st. At the time, everyone thought he was gone.

He might still be gone, but unless something quirky happens in Oakland, I expect Tannehill with the Dolphins.

Rich wrote:
Did you watch the film I posted on Easton? He's kind of a hot mess sometimes, but he has great feet.

Also, don't be surprised if Tannehill remains in Miami one more year as a bridge quarterback.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:20 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

So far this "new" approach is much like the previous ones, in that we have yet to sign any new offensive linemen. I know it's only day 2 of FA, but it seems to obviously impact other QBs willingness to come to Miami and get killed behind this OL.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:44 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Knowing full well his prospecting period as a starter is long gone, I am on board with this. 100%.

jammer wrote:
A great point has been made by many in the media about tanking. Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Carson Wentz, etc. all QBs were drafted by teams that traded up. Miami can have a successful or mediocre 2019 and still move up to get their QB in 2020 (if that is the plan).

Tanking doesn’t work in the NFL. It’s an absurd and losing (pun intended? I don’t know) approach.

socioanthroman wrote:
I like the idea that Miami is not making any splashes in the toilet pond this year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:17 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Supposedly Bridgewater is still in play. His Saints deal isn't finalized and he's still talking with the Dolphins.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:29 am 

Yep, if Bridgewater is still in play I'll have to back off my Tannehill prediction. I was making it based on the reports that he was going to resign with the Saints.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:49 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Brees just restructured his contract to free up money. Report is he and Payton are pushing Bridgewater to re-sign and be a successor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Brees just restructured his contract to free up money. Report is he and Payton are pushing Bridgewater to re-sign and be a successor.

Sounds like a good plan for Bridgewater. It's a QB friendly system, and the Saints are willing to "over"pay to keep him as a backup.

Personally, while it is a little unnerving seeing a couple potential "bridge" quarterbacks preferring to backup than come to Miami, I'm not sweating the QB position right now. I also think opportunity may come with Kyler Murray or in the draft. If the Cardinals draft Murray, then Rosen may become a possibility. If the Raiders trade up to get him then I haven't tried to hide how much I like Derek Carr as a trade may be a possibility. Also, another year with Tannehill would not kill me. Even going with Jake Rudock wouldn't kill me, but it would definitely not sell tickets.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Miami isn't offering anyone a long term opportunity because there aren't any long term options. Say what you want about Teddy B but I highly doubt New Orleans thinks he is a 10 year answer. He's more like Nick Foles was to Philadelphia.

Tyrod Taylor was kicked to the curb by two teams. Does he want to further deflate his value by failing in Miami?

The only guys with something to gain are the likes of Jake Rudock and Luke Falk (or other borderline PS guys) who can prove to teams they are capable backups by looking reasonably capable of spot start duty.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:59 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Another QB option just appeared. AJ McCarron was cut by the Raiders. Hmmmm.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:31 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Good to see that Grier doesn't have to listen to the Gase voice in his head any longer. That's the Jets problem after this season as they already have a plan in place & Gase is playing nice after getting fired.

Barry Jackson wrote:
One agent of a current Dolphin said one frustration in recent years has been that you didn’t know necessarily where your player stood because Chris Grier, Adam Gase and Mike Tannenbaum sometimes had vastly different opinions of the same player.

He was hopeful that would be less of an issue now with Grier having full control of personnel.

And Grier quickly parted ways with the three players Gase especially wanted last spring – Josh Sitton, Frank Gore and Danny Amendola.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:45 am 

If Sitton did not get hurt , I liked that signing.
Amendola I guess under performed but contributed.
Gore was a work horse who probably was our best offensive player. Its easy to get on a guy when he is gone but if they were Gase guys I would like to know who were Grier and Tannenbaums.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:14 am 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Relive1972 wrote:
So far this "new" approach is much like the previous ones, in that we have yet to sign any new offensive linemen. I know it's only day 2 of FA, but it seems to obviously impact other QBs willingness to come to Miami and get killed behind this OL.

Thank you for saying what I’ve been thinking for weeks. We have not seen any indication that Miami is taking their offensive line problems seriously. Every day that goes by, I get more and more worried.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:37 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Relive1972 wrote:

I know everybody is still worried about our offensive line or lack of it. I just wonder if the coaches we have now think they can turn some of the players we have now around. Maybe making the into a functional group. I think we all should realize if they are true to there word, this build could take at least 3 to 4 years. I know it isn't easy but we have to have some patience to see if things are going to change or be the status quo.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:42 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is a no-brainer. 2019 will be rough, and there will be some growing pains, but we should be headed in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:49 am 

Winning the off season

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:22 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:
Winning the off season

The new look Dolphins in free agency are taking a page from the Belicheat GM book ... we hope!

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]