Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Excellent move.

Hal Habib wrote:
DeGuglielmo, who built the Colts’ offensive line into one of the league’s best last season, is back in Davie as Dolphins try to rebuild OL.

The Dolphins, racing to rebuild an offensive line that was a liability last season, are turning to someone who led the league in that department last season.

Dave DeGuglielmo has returned to Davie as an analyst, helping offensive line coach Pat Flaherty. DeGuglielmo was the Dolphins’ offensive line coach from 2009-11.

DeGuglielmo was on Giants and Patriots staffs that won Super Bowls, which helps explain his presence back in South Florida. He and Flaherty coached together on the Giants, and DeGuglielmo knew Dolphins coach Brian Flores from 2014-15, when they both were in New England.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20 ... helping-ol

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

It's refreshing to see that this staff actually seems to actually see the importance of having a good OL. Even if the Dolphins do a seance to get the ghost of John Sandusky's input, I'm for it.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:43 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Relive1972 wrote:
to get the ghost of John Sandusky's input....

You meant Monte Clark.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:36 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

You're right......I'll take either or both at this point.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:52 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Relive1972 wrote:
You're right......I'll take either or both at this point.

I'll tell you a story of how these friends and I would joke about Sandusky's role on the sidelines during games. He would wear a headset, supposedly hooked up to the coaches' booth up top, but he would invariably be standing all by his lonesome and never, and I mean it seemed never, join Shula and others during timeout conferences.....from a distance, even with binoculars, the image he portrayed was the jolly, round ancient coach who was linked to Shula at the hip back from their playing days...so anyway, that look over and over led us after a few beers to wonder out loud, just where was the cable of his headset connected to? We took bets that it was connected to one of the water coolers, or the first aid table, anywhere but where it had to go.....and good ol' Sandusky would just go on with the disguise, even whispering into the mike while talking to no one.

I guess these things were happening as we were getting toasted by Thurman Thomas or Bert Jones. I mean we had to pass those awful moments doing something, eh?

Those coaches back then, like Shula, hired their buddies from their playing days, loyalty being the no. 1 criteria, and if lucky enough to hook up with someone as long lasting as Shula it would basically be job for life, something in a profession that is totally the opposite. In a league whose assistants are plundered year after year when teams are successful, it was a thing to note that no one ever recruited some of the old timers Shula had. Yeah, Clark and Arns and Schellenberger were exceptions but after all those many years, that was about it.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:21 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

You make it sound like Sandusky only had a job in Miami because Shula was his buddy. Those offensive lines throughout the late 70s, 80s, and early 90s didn't coach themselves. One reason no other team tried to steal him away was because he was the assistant head coach in Miami, meaning he could only be hired away as a head coach or in a front office position. In fact, when Jim Irsay bought the Colts in 1984, he wanted Sandusky to be their director of pro personnel, but he declined, because he wanted to stay in Miami where his first wife and son Joe were buried. Here's a link to a good article about Sandusky after he passed away in 2006:

https://www.webcitation.org/6K8SHmhMO?u ... usky-colts

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:51 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Don't doubt what u say, but that feeling we had, although granted exaggerated while under the influence, never seemed too far from the truth...maybe his aw-shucks low key personality fed that image, but he was never a mover and shaker for sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:59 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
I guess these things were happening as we were getting toasted by Thurman Thomas or Bert Jones. I mean we had to pass those awful moments doing something, eh?

Funny story ... and Bert Jones? Man, I haven't heard his name in a long time. He was hot-headed but very talented. Injuries took a toll though. I remember when the Colts drafted him I was like "who??". He split snaps at the college level, and after he succeeded at the NFL level I was thinking what an idiot his head coach was at LSU for not playing him as the full time starter.

And Shula did draft his buddies which is why aside from Arnsparger, none did much once they left the Dolphins (at least as far as I can remember).

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:06 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
And Shula did draft his buddies which is why aside from Arnsparger, none did much once they left the Dolphins (at least as far as I can remember).

Shula wasn't the only coach who hied people he knew and worked with before......all coaches have done it throughout the history of the NFL. And a vast majority of these assistant coaches have had limited success when given opportunities, no matter who they were working for. Take Belichek, for example. How many of his former assistants have had success on their own?

Anyway, my apologies for straying way off topic in this thread. My point was only that Sandusky was an excellent OL coach, and if we could find someone just like him, I'd take him in a heart beat.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:12 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I would just as soon have the heart skip a beat....Sandusky may be an idol of sorts but let's be real the lines he coached were gifted with talent we've not had for years (Newman, Langer, Kuech, Gisler, Stephenson, Webb, Sims) but the technician we need may or may not be on the coaching staff now, and hopefully once we find him he better be a load more of a contributor.... but even if we do find one, until we draft talented linemen we'll continue to struggle up front. Like Gary Stevens famously said, "you can't make chicken salad out of.....", you know the rest.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:07 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

So you're saying Shula the GM, who I know you despised, made absolutely perfect acquisitions for the OL, players so loaded with talent, they didn't need coaching. Uhm, OK.

In 1989, the OL had many injuries that sidelined starters, but yet the Dolphins continued a record setting sackless streak that lasted for 19 games. Thank God Shula was so adept at picking offensive linemen.

"I think John is the greatest coach in the history of the league that never got a chance [to be a head coach]," said Ernie Accorsi, general manager of the New York Giants who served in the same capacity in Baltimore. "There is no better assistant coach in this league."

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:57 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I always love the "Old Timers" waxing poetic about Yesteryear in Dolphins' lore.

Always makes me think of the old Sports Illustrated poster of "Crash" Jensen that proudly hung on my wall as a kid.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

This is my favorite Sports Illustrated cover:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1 ... be_on_the/

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]