Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:29 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The Good

Devante Paker!!! What makes this the cherry on top of a very good season is that it came versus a quality opponent. We've seen flashes but yesterday really cemented what he can be when utilized correctly. It seems like the thought of being a bust really lit a fire under him.

Ryan Fitzpatrick did a great job, and in my opinion, has earned himself the mentor/bridge job for 2020. His teammates really respond to him and he clearly is bringing out the best in his receiving talent.

Mike Gesicki made some nice catches, and his TD was so awesome the cameraman caught Brent Grimes watching from the stands with his jaw dropped. Gesicki seems like a guy who's career is about to take off.

Patrick Laird displayed some nice catches, great blocking and a TD run. He'll be getting more snaps now that Kalen Ballage is hurt.

Jason Sanders not only caught a TD pass on a cool flip from Matt Haack but he ensured the victory with a clutch field goal in the 4th quarter.

The defense played like garbage in the first half but really buckled down in the second half. To step up against a tough opponent in December is a good sign of the fight these guys bring to the table.

Sam Eguavoen came back from obscurity to make some tackles and notch a sack.

Brian Flores, Chad O'Shea and Patrick Graham are really bringing out the best in the afterthought cast that they have been handed. They are teaching these guys to play hard and carve out future roles on the team. They adjusted nicely and completely overwhelmed the Eagles in the 2nd half.

The Bad

Nope, not today. Today we focus on the positives.

The Ugly

Julien Davenport got abused and then reinjured. I'm not sure he was ever healthy but Miami seems intent on trying to develop him. Hopefully he can improve into a quality backup.

That was by far the best game of the season. The player reaction in the locker room after the game was unlike anything we've seen in years. They believe in their coaches and in each other. Miami is entering the softest stretch of their schedule. Is it possible they could get to 6 wins? I'm cheering for it! I no longer expect to see Josh Rosen unless Fitzpatrick gets injured. We'll also get an idea of what Myles Gaskin and Patrick Laird can do with more snaps in the backfield. Buckle up because this should be a fun final month of the season!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:01 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Nice write as always. They are frustrating and fun to watch at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:20 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Nice write up!

One bad that I was constantly harping about yesterday, was the edge pass rush.

We have seen this issue all year long.

The Dolphins in 2020 need to find people that can get some sort of pressure on the QB's.

Quote:
Edge Charles Harris (9 snaps, 13 percent) — It appears Harris’ time is running short as a Dolphin. The former first rounder did have two tackles and a quarterback hit (he nearly completed a sack, which has sort of been the story of his career). But look at the edge rushers who were on the field more than Harris: Vince Biegel (77 percent), Taco Charlton (55), Avery Moss (31), Andrew Van Ginkel (20). Sadly, it seems Harris is one who just doesn’t seem likely to make it.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20191202/5-miami-dolphins-snap-conclusions-after-stunning-defeat-of-philadelphia-eagles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The Hen wrote:

We have seen this issue all year long

There are so many directions the Dolphins could go in free agency and the draft to help with this issue.

Getting some better players in the secondary could buy an extra split second for guys like Charlton, Biegel, and whoever they bring in to finish some of those plays. Pressures are nice, sacks are ideal (according to Captain Obvious).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:23 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The reaction of the players after the win reminds me of what I've seen from my Gophers this year. The players are in support of Fleck and buy into his system and it's gotten us to places we havent seen in ages. Same could be said now with this team. If so, build chemistry, build the expectations and get the player personalities that fit. Can make for a dangerous team when the more talented players come in.

Maybe Tua getting hurt (and I hate saying this) is what the Phins needed for this year. We can address bigger needs in thisnyears draft and get a solid QB later rather than going boom or bust on a flashy out of college kid.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:44 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Very nice job, Dan!

Jammer wrote:
That was by far the best game of the season. The player reaction in the locker room after the game was unlike anything we've seen in years. They believe in their coaches and in each other. Miami is entering the softest stretch of their schedule. Is it possible they could get to 6 wins? I'm cheering for it!

You know what, I know we'll be gnashing our teeth next spring during the draft wishing we had a higher pick, but I'm with you. There is no better feeling than winning even if we won't remember much of this season next year. To me, getting this group of "no name" hard workers to play as they did in our 3 wins this year shows me a very good coaching staff. I can take losses, but I cannot take poorly played games. These players are working their butts off for 60 minutes and they seem to have the ability to put the last bad play behind them and focus on the next one. I'm loving it.

I believe this meme says it all here.

Jammer wrote:
Ryan Fitzpatrick did a great job, and in my opinion, has earned himself the mentor/bridge job for 2020. His teammates really respond to him and he clearly is bringing out the best in his receiving talent.

One thing I'll add is that this team didn't fold up after Fitzpatrick threw that interception on his first pass of the game. BTW, it was the first time he'd ever done that in his career. Anyways, a month ago this team would fold up after a big mistake knowing they couldn't overcome mistakes. Not any longer. Flores has put something into their hearts about the game of football and they believe in Fitzpatrick.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:17 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A little of GBU from PFF and it shows Jammer right on the money in his observations.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
▪ Pro Football Focus gave Parker, quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and tight end Mike Gesicki the top three grades on Miami’s offense. Guard Shaq Calhoun was given the worst grade on offense; he allowed five quarterback pressures and a sack. Left tackle Julien Davenport, who missed three snaps with an injury, allowed two sacks and five pressures.

▪ Among players who logged at least 10 snaps, PFF gave the Dolphins’ top grades on defense to defensive lineman John Jenkins, linebacker Sam Eguavoen (had a sack) and Rowe. PFF gave Miami’s worst defensive grades to linebacker Jerome Baker and Wiltz.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:37 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
You know what, I know we'll be gnashing our teeth next spring during the draft wishing we had a higher pick, but I'm with you.

I'm not so sure about that. 6 wins probably gets Miami in the pick 8 to 12 range, and they possibly get top 15 if they upset the Pats for 7 wins.

If they pick 8 thru 12 I think they can still land Tua if that is the goal. Miami can redshirt him next year and let him heal completely while they continue to work out the kinks.

With picks 8 thru 12 they could also still land a top shelf trench guy or elite CB prospect.

Trade back possibilities will be there as well.

I don't want to see regression in the last months. I want to see Flores and company build on what they have accomplished.

Even though its a bit premature, I'm going to try and piece together an offseason battle plan for free agents and draft picks. I have a few ideas on how they can spend money to fix both trenches and not force themselves into need drafting in April.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:01 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

The Hen wrote:
Nice write up!

We have seen this issue all year long.

The Dolphins in 2020 need to find people that can get some sort of pressure on the QB's.

Quote:
Edge Charles Harris (9 snaps, 13 percent) — It appears Harris’ time is running short as a Dolphin. The former first rounder did have two tackles and a quarterback hit (he nearly completed a sack, which has sort of been the story of his career). But look at the edge rushers who were on the field more than Harris: Vince Biegel (77 percent), Taco Charlton (55), Avery Moss (31), Andrew Van Ginkel (20). Sadly, it seems Harris is one who just doesn’t seem likely to make it.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20191202/5-miami-dolphins-snap-conclusions-after-stunning-defeat-of-philadelphia-eagles

Chase Young would be a star here

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]