All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:38 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

They can't even tank properly. With what they have left, they will beat the Giants and the Bengals easily and probably have a shot against the Jets. That will put them at 6-10 for the year which isn't bad enough to get a good position in the draft with all these 2-3 win teams.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:43 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Might be a blessing. They might have to pass on a QB and go O line and pass rusher....which is really what this team needs first. I just pray they are not stupid enough to draft an injured Tua.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:45 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

We are in dire need of O line and some defensive guys, I like the kid from LSU in this draft, but that's about it. Tua is damaged goods and is gonna suffer the same destiny as RG3 in the NFL. They will land their guy at qb, just might not be this draft.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:22 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

ArtieChokePhin wrote:
They can't even tank properly. With what they have left, they will beat the Giants and the Bengals easily and probably have a shot against the Jets. That will put them at 6-10 for the year which isn't bad enough to get a good position in the draft with all these 2-3 win teams.

Same thing they did in 2011

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Tanking is a myth. No one on that team wants to lose.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:02 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:
ArtieChokePhin wrote:

Same thing they did in 2011

I know hindsight is 2020, but the two QBs you would have tanked for in 2011 didn't exactly pan out. Luck had his moments but built most of his winning record in a crappy AFC South. He would have gotten hit just as much in Miami on the fast track to retirement. RG III has bounced around to several teams.

Miami also went through 2011 with a lame duck coach. The new coach is proving he can win a couple of games with practice squad talent. There also isn't a QB I'd bet the farm on in this draft.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:14 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:
Tanking is a myth. No one on that team wants to lose.

Exactly! This was something drummed up by the media and fans.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:57 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Players don tank but I think Management does. From what he just said I think the owner of the Panthers is thinking of tanking. Giants might tank for Chase Young.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:08 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I said before the season that if 2019 ended without the Dolphins getting closer to having their franchise QB, then it would be a failure.

I still stand by that statement.

“We have a coach!” Maybe. The first year of Sparano saw us go from 1-15 to 11-5. The first year of Gase brought us to the playoffs. A single year, or less, is not enough to draw any conclusion in today’s NFL.

“We can get Trevor in 2021!” No, we won’t. He will go #1. Dolphins will most likely be better next year. Good luck getting that high a pick.

Flores will NOT be immune from the reality of the NFL: if the Dolphins didn’t get a QB, he will he fired. The only variable is time.

So, nothing I’ve seen this year gives me any excitement or hope for the future.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:35 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

1984phins wrote:
So, nothing I’ve seen this year gives me any excitement or hope for the future.

I hear your argument and fully understand any pessimism expressed regarding this franchise, especially given it’s sordid history, but.....I think we can stop the presses on that statement above. This coach has shown he can prepare the team and develop players who by most measures would be bottom of the roster at best, and I know this would be a big “if” but... IF the team drafts well over the next two, three years, and chooses intelligently in FA we’ll see a much more competitive team than we’ve seen in years. Maybe to some that’s not saying much but around that time the division should not be the runaway joke it’s been for a dozen plus years, and the way things look there isn’t a franchise out there shaping up to run away with the conference as NE, Pitt have done and with the roster improvements expected Miami will be a contender.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:35 am 

I think its pretty obvious we should not get excited about head coaches after year one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:35 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

FINesse wrote:
I think its pretty obvious we should not get excited about head coaches after year one.

That’s not necessarily an absolute situation....there are many cases new head coaches go on to repeated success and in this case with Flores one has to evaluate it on the face of the job he’s managed to do beyond the W-L record, and there should be no question what he has accomplished despite the organization making it as difficult as any head coach should have to experience. While I regret the impact on draft position by the winning Flores has managed one has to take away nothing but good things from the guy’s job and his choices for assistants. If he can pull together a competitive team out of this motley roster I can only imagine good things when he’s given a half decent one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Lets put Sparano in perspective. He had the following players at his disposal:

Chad Pennington
Ronnie Brown
Ricky Williams
Vernon Carey
Justin Smiley
Anthony Fasano
Samson Satele
Jason Ferguson
Vonnie Holliday
Randy Starks
Matt Roth
Channing Crowder
Will Allen
Yeremiah Bell

and those were just the solid to good veterans. Don't forget Jake Long and Kendall Langford as contributing rookies and a host of other veterans to fill the ranks.

Yes, the wildcat kind of saved Sparano's bacon and provided some false hope, but the roster he worked with was pretty darn good.

Also don't forget that was the year Brady blew out his ACL in week 1, sort of limiting what the Pats could achieve after a monstrous 2007.

As for Gase, he still had much better talent and no expectations. Tannehill, Stills, Ajayi, Landry, Sims, Albert, Tunsil, James, Suh, Wake, Alonso. I wouldn't call it a Pro Bowl roster but most of those guys could carry a team to a 10 win season.

But I agree that Gase had us all over the moon after 2016 so I can understand the hesitance with crowning Flores.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:05 pm 

Just another NE coordinator who an owner thought if he hires he would be able to duplicate the success from that franchise.
I hope he proves me wrong but surprisingly im not buying it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:11 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

FINesse wrote:
Just another NE coordinator who an owner thought if he hires he would be able to duplicate the success from that franchise.
I hope he proves me wrong but surprisingly im not buying it.

You do realize that happens with a lot of teams, not just New England? Every year almost, one of the coordinators from the Super Bowl teams gets hired by a crappy team that just fired their coach thinking by hiring said coordinator, they can get a piece of the magic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:02 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
Lets put Sparano in perspective......But I agree that Gase had us all over the moon after 2016 so I can understand the hesitance with crowning Flores.

I’m not concerned with the hindsight. I agree with your point about him, but I’m simply saying that we were *excited* after the 2008 season. We were *excited* after 2016.

I just don’t want to repeat these mistakes again. Let’s all wait and see how year two goes, shall we?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:58 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

1984phins wrote:
jammer wrote:
Lets put Sparano in perspective......But I agree that Gase had us all over the moon after 2016 so I can understand the hesitance with crowning Flores.

I’m not concerned with the hindsight. I agree with your point about him, but I’m simply saying that we were *excited* after the 2008 season. We were *excited* after 2016.

I just don’t want to repeat these mistakes again. Let’s all wait and see how year two goes, shall we?

People can be cautious with Flores but still be excited and optimistic about what he is accomplishing in Miami. No one is saying he's the next Pete Carroll.

Biggest difference is people believed in Henne after that MNF performance against the Jets, and people thought the Gase-Tannehill magic would continue before Tannehill got hurt. We don't know who Flores's 2020 QB is yet.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]