All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 

Should the Dollphins Trade for Manning???
No, He's Too High Of A Risk (Stay Away) 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
No, Wait Until He's A Free Agent 68%  68%  [ 19 ]
Yes, Give Indy Our 1st Round Pick 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, Offer Indy Our 2nd or 3rd Round Pick 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Yes, Offer Indy A Player And Mid-Round Pick 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes: 28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:45 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There has been a lot of speculation as to whether or not Peyton Manning will remain in Indy, retire, or go somewhere else. Many people seem to think that he will be released by the Colts sometime before he is due $28M on March 8th of this year. Which is highly likely considering his current health and the fact that the Colts are cleaning house at the moment. If this is the case, then Peyton will be a highly coveted free agent, perhaps the most coveted free agent any of us have seen in our lifetime at the quarterback position.
Now if Peyton is released by the Colts there will be a bidding war, but the price will likely be less than what he is currently due from Indy. My question for you guys is should the Dolphins attempt to trade for Manning, take him off the market before he becomes a free agent, and then attempt to restructure his contract??? Or should we just absorb his current contract?

Here is what Manning's current contract looks like:
7/30/2011: Signed five-year, $90 million contract. The deal contains $54.4 million guaranteed, including a $20 million signing bonus. 2011: $3.4 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2012: $7.4 million (+ $28 million option bonus due 3/8), 2013: $8.4 million, 2014: $9.4 million, 2015: $10.4 million, 2016: Free Agent

So with this in mind should the Dolphins wait until he hits the open market and try to get him for a cheaper price??? Or should they beat everyone to the punch and trade for him now in order to lock him up??? Manning has consistently expressed that he intends to keep playing, and I believe that he will recover and play for someone for the next three to five years. Should the Dolphins make a move??? If so, what should we give up???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:08 am 
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

They can't trade him. Technically he's not going to be released because he's not under contract. The only way they could trade for him would be after Indy picks up the 28 million bonus. But at that point, Indy isn't dealing him.

He's either a Colt, or a Free Agent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:51 am 
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
They can't trade him. Technically he's not going to be released because he's not under contract. The only way they could trade for him would be after Indy picks up the 28 million bonus. But at that point, Indy isn't dealing him.

He is under contract and he would be released, otherwise the Colts owe him $28 million.

And they could trade him, however the team receiving Manning would then eat the $28 million.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:52 am 
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

They could, however, bite the cap hit, pay the 28 million and then trade him.

It'd likely take a lot to get him, and I'd much rather wait to get him in free agency.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:54 am 

IamPZ wrote:

It'd likely take a lot to get him, and I'd much rather wait to get him in free agency.

Correct, technically they could do that. But that would be stupid.

He is going to be released, and I suspect he is going to be released sooner rather than later.

To say he isn't under contract is absolutely, 100% incorrect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am 
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Correct, technically they could do that. But that would be stupid.

He is going to be released, and I suspect he is going to be released sooner rather than later.

To say he isn't under contract is absolutely, 100% incorrect.

Yeah, that's my bad. I misunderstood.

Either way, like you said, he's not getting traded.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Looks like the Colts owner Irsay was irked by Manning going public about the state of the team. This could be the beginning of the end for Manning in Indy. I don't know about you guys, but if I were Ireland I'd be giving the new Indy GM a shout and offering him a mid-round pick to take Peyton off the market. We could talk to Peyton and his agent about restructuring that $90M contract, probably make the $28M incentive based, and put an injury clause in there which I'm sure Peyton would understand. If the guy plays every game and stays healthy he's worth every penny, if not, then we're protected. I know it's a long shot, but it's worth going for a this point.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75072 ... c-comments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't think anyone in the league is going to trade for him.

They'll wait for him to be released and do a full medical check.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:44 pm 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

degs wrote:

Can we ask the New Orleans medical staff to do our medical check for us? :yay:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:37 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
degs wrote:

I'm not too sure we based our decision entirely on the medical eval. Both guys were healthy and passed the medical, some GM just got it wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:31 am 
Phinfever Moderator - Pick 'em Champ
Phinfever Moderator - Pick 'em Champ

k-dash wrote:
degs wrote:

:) Good one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:25 am 

If the move is for Manning, the Dolphins better also invest a high pick on a QB to develop in case Manning's atrophied triceps prevents him from even throwing a screen pass...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:08 am 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Rich wrote:
If the move is for Manning, the Dolphins better also invest a high pick on a QB to develop in case Manning's atrophied triceps prevents him from even throwing a screen pass...

Agree on signing a developmental QB. Absolutely. While your sarcasm is warranted, I would hope he wouldn't get a contract in that condition... but then, the name Culpepper comes to mind...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:11 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Or if his head falls off like Petey.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:00 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

This is all moot. Peyton cannot be traded until the new league year. The trade deadline is past. And the new league year isn't until AFTER his 28 million bonus. So if the Colts pay him that. He isn't getting traded.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:09 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Add me to the list of people for not trading for Peyton....not because I don't like him, but because I don't think anyone will need to.

Irsay has significant wealth, but that family didn't get that way by throwing away $28M in cash for a trade for a first round draft pick, or whatever they could get for Manning. It's much riskier, as a franchise, to keep Peyton and have him not be 100%, than it is for them to dump him, and have end up being 100% healthy. Of course having the No. 1 pick and Andrew Luck available is also included in this evaluation. I think $28M is much better spent surrounding someone like Luck with talent than spent on a legendary QB with an "iffy" future.

If there's any risk that Manning isn't 100%, they'll dump that contract before the signing bonus is due, then spend the money making the team better around Pick #1. From all the stories in the public arena, there is a risk right now with Manning's health.

After the Polian and Caldwell house cleaning, it doesn't sound like Peyton is going to make it easier for Irsay to keep him either.

We'll see.

It's been an exciting offseason so far for the Phins, I hope it stays that way through the draft.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:11 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:

Yeah...what he said...!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:03 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

Or if his head falls off like Petey.

It is a massive head, there is legitimate concern there.
:)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jgod1 wrote:
Add me to the list of people for not trading for Peyton....not because I don't like him, but because I don't think anyone will need to.

Irsay has significant wealth, but that family didn't get that way by throwing away $28M in cash for a trade for a first round draft pick, or whatever they could get for Manning. It's much riskier, as a franchise, to keep Peyton and have him not be 100%, than it is for them to dump him, and have end up being 100% healthy. Of course having the No. 1 pick and Andrew Luck available is also included in this evaluation. I think $28M is much better spent surrounding someone like Luck with talent than spent on a legendary QB with an "iffy" future.

If there's any risk that Manning isn't 100%, they'll dump that contract before the signing bonus is due, then spend the money making the team better around Pick #1. From all the stories in the public arena, there is a risk right now with Manning's health.

After the Polian and Caldwell house cleaning, it doesn't sound like Peyton is going to make it easier for Irsay to keep him either.

We'll see.

It's been an exciting offseason so far for the Phins, I hope it stays that way through the draft.

I'd love to see the Dolphins pick him up, even if we have to let him heal on the bench for half the season while he rebuilds his strength and learns the offense. Something tells me that Peyton will be healthy and ready to play sometime around pre-season, but playing it safe might be the best move regardless. Moore is a great stop-gap, I think he could start while Peyton heals. This deal could work if we are patient.
It's also smart from a financial standpoint as well. I know Ross sees Manning and thinks $$$. Signing Manning means a ton of adverising and a ton of merchandise sales. You want to find a way to excite the fan base and fill the seats, sign Peyton Manning. Even if we have to sit him for half the season, I think Moore can keep us .500 or better, and then when Manning comes back you know we'll take it to another level. If we do this the right way and take care of the guy, we could wind up being a contender for the next three to four years. Who knows, if the Dolphins can make this happen, we could be hoisting the Lombardi Trophy in the next couple of years.
I'm not as skeptical as most others about Manning, I feel like the guy still has plenty of gas left in the tank, and that while he is still recovering, that doesn't mean he won't fully recover from this. I think that Manning will recover to 100% sometime in the next 6 to 9 months, and whoever gets him will have one heck of a quarterback for the next three to four years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:26 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Update on Manning.
No he isn't retiring any time soon, and he's in the Colts facility every day throwing and rehabilitating. He doesn't sound happy about the changes in Indy and he most definitely doesn't sound like a guy who is ready to hang em up.
http://www.indystar.com/article/2012012 ... ture-Colts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:12 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Mortensen seems to think that Peyton will play elsewhere next season, the two teams he mentioned that Peyton would most likely be interested in were Washington and Miami. Maybe this gets done???
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... s-future-2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:27 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well we certainly know who SK13 wants to see. LOL.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Well we certainly know who SK13 wants to see. LOL.

Hey, I'm just desperate to see another great quarterback in Miami. I grew up on Dan Marino, I was spoiled my entire youth. Now that I'm grown I know the value of a guy like Peyton Manning. If he's healthy, and he's wearing a Dolphins jersey, we're an instant contender. If we get Manning there is nothing stopping us from getting Carl Nicks and drafting a RT in the 1st round to protect him. We could also probably get Reggie Wayne for cheap too. Our offense could be one of the best in the NFL if Manning comes to Miami. I know I'm a little worked up over this, but it's hard not to be. I can't remember how many times I've been watching football on my couch only to hear myself say, "Man, if the Dolphins could only get that guy."

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]