All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:46 am 
Offline
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:14 am
Posts: 356
Location: Scranton, PA
That's right......wait for it.....Sean Smith. Maybe he would be good if the other teams had a washed up Johnson to practice against. Ireland said he made a leap this year? Sure Jeffy.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5866
Location: Wellington, FL
Cant say I could single out one person last night. Most looked like crap until it was scrubs vs scrubs...

Smith may be a liability, but I dont know that there is a better option behind him.

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:39 am 
Offline
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:37 pm
Posts: 894
Location: Orlando, Fl
I was not thrilled either watching preseason game number 1, but it is still just preseason game number 1! People lose all perspective about things any more.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
catman_56 wrote:
I was not thrilled either watching preseason game number 1, but it is still just preseason game number 1! People lose all perspective about things any more.


Well, yes...preseason game number 1 and 3 seasons in the league.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:01 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:59 pm
Posts: 5107
The safety was in position to make a play to either pick it off or swat it away. The safety was the guy who could have changed the outcome of that play. The receiver was wedged between two defenders. The quarterback threw that ball into double coverage. We let a golden opportunity to create a turnover turn into a big play for the other team. If you're going to blame Smith for getting beat, then you can equally blame the safety for blowing what should have been an easy interception or at the very least a batted down pass.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:51 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9870
Preseason or not, Smith got torched by who?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:38 pm
Posts: 481
Location: Miami, Fl
wkloiber13 wrote:
The safety was in position to make a play to either pick it off or swat it away. The safety was the guy who could have changed the outcome of that play. The receiver was wedged between two defenders. The quarterback threw that ball into double coverage. We let a golden opportunity to create a turnover turn into a big play for the other team. If you're going to blame Smith for getting beat, then you can equally blame the safety for blowing what should have been an easy interception or at the very least a batted down pass.

You are completely correct. Jimmy Wilson played that ball extremely poorly. Most CBs will get beat one on one. We also had no pass rush in that game. But I don't expect for them to go all out and show their best blitzes in a preseason game. That is why I think the defense should get a break. I think this defense will be ready by week 1. IMO


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
TheCarver13 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
The safety was in position to make a play to either pick it off or swat it away. The safety was the guy who could have changed the outcome of that play. The receiver was wedged between two defenders. The quarterback threw that ball into double coverage. We let a golden opportunity to create a turnover turn into a big play for the other team. If you're going to blame Smith for getting beat, then you can equally blame the safety for blowing what should have been an easy interception or at the very least a batted down pass.

You are completely correct. Jimmy Wilson played that ball extremely poorly. Most CBs will get beat one on one. We also had no pass rush in that game. But I don't expect for them to go all out and show their best blitzes in a preseason game. That is why I think the defense should get a break. I think this defense will be ready by week 1. IMO


If you have to rely on special or "best" blitzes to make plays (or even not get burnt) on defense, then we're in for a long season.
Sorry, but just because its preseason is no excuse to pretend the basics don't matter. Provide a pass rush with 4 guys and make plays on the ball when its in the air. Maintain your leverage in the run game, keep contain and wrap up the ball carrier. Everythign I've read says the Dolphins defense didn't do any of these things.

Which, to me, isn't too huge of a surprise. The defense was terrible last year and we didn't add any more pass rushers or play making corners in the offseason.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:15 am 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9870
If you have to rely on special or "best" blitzes to make plays (or even not get burnt) on defense, then we're in for a long season.
Sorry, but just because its preseason is no excuse to pretend the basics don't matter. Provide a pass rush with 4 guys and make plays on the ball when its in the air. Maintain your leverage in the run game, keep contain and wrap up the ball carrier. Everythign I've read says the Dolphins defense didn't do any of these things.

Which, to me, isn't too huge of a surprise. The defense was terrible last year and we didn't add any more pass rushers or play making corners in the offseason.


Even when we blitzed they picked it up, it was terrible. The D was horrible the other night. They stopped the run up the gut, that was it. No adjustments on the short slants or flat passes.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 4:56 pm
Posts: 6859
The safeties are always late it seems


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:54 am 
Offline
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:37 pm
Posts: 894
Location: Orlando, Fl
Iowafin wrote:
catman_56 wrote:
I was not thrilled either watching preseason game number 1, but it is still just preseason game number 1! People lose all perspective about things any more.


Well, yes...preseason game number 1 and 3 seasons in the league.



Yeah he has been a pretty good corner!


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r