^Back To Top
Joomla gallery extension by joomlashine.com
2015 Free Agency
As we keep working our way towards the 2014 NFL Draft in May, the usual rites of working our way to the draft has started. Actually, it started a while ago,and I am talking about Lying Season, the art of deception that all of the teams in the NFL participate in. Trying to put out signal of having interest in a kid knowing all along you wanted to go in another direction, reports of kids having bad workouts or not showing up to private workouts, Lying Season is in full GO mode right now.
Love this time of the year. With that said, let's take a look at picks 17-32 of the 1st round of the 2014 NFL Draft and how I think it could POSSIBLY play out.
17) Baltimore - Zack Martin, ORT, Notre Dame - The Ravens lost ORT Michael Oher in Free Agency and fill that void with perhaps the most versatile offensive lineman in the draft in Martin. NFL Network Mike Mayock thinks Martin can be an All-Pro OG.
18) New York Jets - Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State - While I don't think WR Eric Decker is a #1 wide receiver, the Jets certainly paid him like he is a #1. HC Rex Ryan saw CB Antonio Cromartie leave via Free Agency and the Jets were not involved in the Darrelle Revis sweepstakes. Ryan is a defensive coach and the Jets need a cornerback, and Dennard fits the bill.
19) Miami - C.J Mosely, ILB, Alabama - The continued talk around Miami is their interest in OL personnel and possibly having to trade up to get Taylor Lewan or Zack Martin. Miami now only have 6 picks, so I just don't see this happening. Not much buzz has been mentioned about Mosely to Miami, but he certainly would fill a position that the Dolphins have interest in addressing and Mosely is a candidate for BPA at #19. Also, the Dolphins DL played solid up front last year, but the linebackers for the Dolphins were HORRID against the run. Mosely has the physical and mental makeup to be a Day 1 starter and Pro Bowl ability.
20) Arizona - Kony Easely, DE, Missouri - The Cardinals could easily go with LB Ryan Shazier, as they lost LB Karlos Dansby to the Cleveland Browns in Free Agency.
21) Green Bay - Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame - Green Bay took a step back last year and the Packers look to reinforce the DL with Nix. B.J Ragi only signed a 1 year deal also.
22) Philadelphia - Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State - Philadelphia released one of, if not the most explosive wide receiver in the NFL in DeSean Jackson a few weeks ago. Chip Kelley has knowledge of Cooks during his time at Oregon and Cooks is very explosive.
23) Kansas City - Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU - Kansas City needs a weapon opposite of WR Dwayne Bowe. Beckham has gotten better every year while at LSU, and had his most productive year in 2013. He is a dangerous return man as well.
24) Cincinnatti - Dee Ford, DE, Auburn - The Bengals lost DE Michael Johnson in Free Agency and fill that void with Ford.
25) San Diego - Jason Verrett, CB, TCU - The Chargers address the secondary with Verrett.
26) Cleveland - Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State - I have seen some mocks with Carr in the top 10, so it would not surprise me to see him go off the board early. That said, if he is here for the Browns, they will take what they hope is the QB of the future.
27) New Orleans - Marquise Lee, WR, Southern Cal - The Sains let WR Lance Moore leave via Free Agency and look to fill that void with Lee.
28) Carolina - Moses Morgan, OLT, Virginia - OLT Jordan Gross retired this offseason, and the Panthers look to provide QB Cam Newton with blindside protection. They could go wide receiver as well as the Panthers lost their 3 top wide receivers, including WR Steve Smith, who they released.
29) New England - Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech - TE Rob Grownkowski is coming off a torn ACL and has had a bevy of injuries. New England lost TE Aaron Hernadez as well and this has become a TE based offense. Tom Brady needs weapons, and Amaro fits the mode of what New England wants from their Tight Ends.
30) San Francisco - Ra'Shede Hagerman, DT, Minnesota - The 49ers try to recover from losing to division rival Seattle in the NFC Championship game and look to add to their defensive front with Hagerman. Hagerman has HUGE boom bust potential.
31) Denver - Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA - Protecting QB Peyton Manning is a MUST, and the Broncos lost OG Zane Beadles in Free Agency.
32) Seattle - Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State - Seattle lost WR Sydney Rice early in the 2013 season and lost WR Golden Tate in Free Agency. The Seahawks give QB Russell Taylor a big WR and red zone threat in Benjamin.