All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:20 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

So, the reality that in 3 years, nothing has really changed with Igbi. He works hard, but he does not have the instincts to play CB in the NFL. Either trade him to a team for a late round pick that thinks they can salvage him, or give him a shot at safety.

Alain Poupart (SI) wrote:
OMAR: What can save Noah Igbinoghene’s career?

ALAIN POUPART: Always love getting questions from Omar, with whom I always had great conversations during his time on the beat (which sadly is coming to an end). And this is a good one coming in light of a tough couple of practices for Igbinoghene against Tampa Bay. From where I sit, there’s no major issue with Igbinoghene’s physical traits or the work ethic, he’s just lacking in terms of feel and instincts when it comes to playing cornerback. That shows up when the ball is in the air or when he bites on a double move. The reality is that I saw good things from Igbinoghene in camp before the Tampa Bay trip (usually on quick patterns where the play stays in front of him) and still think something clicks the more reps he gets. But at some point, the Dolphins should consider the idea of moving him to safety where he’s not on an island. We’re not there yet, in my estimation, but we’re getting there.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/mi ... n-and-more

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:24 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
So, the reality that in 3 years, nothing has really changed with Igbi. He works hard, but he does not have the instincts to play CB in the NFL. Either trade him to a team for a late round pick that thinks they can salvage him, or give him a shot at safety.

ALAIN POUPART: Always love getting questions from Omar, with whom I always had great conversations during his time on the beat (which sadly is coming to an end). And this is a good one coming in light of a tough couple of practices for Igbinoghene against Tampa Bay. From where I sit, there’s no major issue with Igbinoghene’s physical traits or the work ethic, he’s just lacking in terms of feel and instincts when it comes to playing cornerback. That shows up when the ball is in the air or when he bites on a double move. The reality is that I saw good things from Igbinoghene in camp before the Tampa Bay trip (usually on quick patterns where the play stays in front of him) and still think something clicks the more reps he gets. But at some point, the Dolphins should consider the idea of moving him to safety where he’s not on an island. We’re not there yet, in my estimation, but we’re getting there.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/mi ... n-and-more

He will be great in the USFL.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:38 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Omar, with whom I always had great conversations during his time on the beat (which sadly is coming to an end).

The Dolphins will never be the same without Omar blogging and typing away on the bleachers.

Sad day in Davie.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:00 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think it is safe to consider him to be a wasted pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:27 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phin wrote:
I think it is safe to consider him to be a wasted pick.

Yep. There is some thought that the Dolphins could convert him to safety. I'd like to see him in the nickel slot as he has done well in practice on the shorter routes.

PFF wrote:
It was yet another tough day at the office for former first-rounder Noah Igbinoghene. On 19 coverage snaps, he was targeted twice, allowing a first down and a touchdown.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-preseason- ... caneers-24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:16 pm 
2022 Survivor Champ!
2022 Survivor Champ!

He needs to be traded. Somebody will give up a pick for a former 1st round CB with his measurables.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:19 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hated that pick from day one. Extra first round picks mean little when you use them to reach for guys like Jackson and Igby, or the boss pisses them away with his stupidity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:07 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Eric Rowe is a free agent after this season. Might be time to see if Igbinoghene can learn from him (another CB converted to safety, although Rowe played plenty of safety in college) and take over a role next year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:59 pm 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

k-dash wrote:
He needs to be traded. Somebody will give up a pick for a former 1st round CB with his measurables.

Would rather try to salvage him as a safety, than walk away for a 7th Rd. pick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:42 pm 
2022 Survivor Champ!
2022 Survivor Champ!

Dphins4me wrote:
k-dash wrote:

Would rather try to salvage him as a safety, than walk away for a 7th Rd. pick

Idk if safety is a good fit for him either; his biggest problem is his instincts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:19 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinished wrote:
Hated that pick from day one. Extra first round picks mean little when you use them to reach for guys like Jackson and Igby, or the boss pisses them away with his stupidity.

I hate to say that I liked the pick but it was based on the Dolphins infatuation with him leaked way before the draft. That was one they had a hard time keeping a secret. With the success in drafting X, I thought maybe they saw something in him that we didn't see.

They whiffed big time on this one. I hate it, because this kid has tried everything to succeed and just doesn't have the instincts for the position at the NFL level. Alain Poupart thinks he would make a decent safety, and this may be true, but the Dolphins would know better. Maybe just trade him to get an extra 7th round pick while he may still have value, because every coach and GM thinks they can fix what one team cannot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:24 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I've wanted to like him, but he's just not good. Diggs made him look terrible in Iggy's very first start and he's looked bad ever since.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:43 pm 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Big Dave wrote:
I hate to say that I liked the pick but it was based on the Dolphins infatuation with him leaked way before the draft. That was one they had a hard time keeping a secret. With the success in drafting X, I thought maybe they saw something in him that we didn't see.

They whiffed big time on this one. I hate it, because this kid has tried everything to succeed and just doesn't have the instincts for the position at the NFL level. Alain Poupart thinks he would make a decent safety, and this may be true, but the Dolphins would know better. Maybe just trade him to get an extra 7th round pick while he may still have value, because every coach and GM thinks they can fix what one team cannot.

This reminds me about Jason Allen. A stud at safety in college, but the cash was at CB. Never was a good fit for a NFL CB, but still to this day believe he could have made a solid safety.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:34 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Omar, with whom I always had great conversations during his time on the beat (which sadly is coming to an end).

The Dolphins will never be the same without Omar blogging and typing away on the bleachers.

Sad day in Davie.

Any idea where he's heading? He's a local kid.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:42 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
This reminds me about Jason Allen. A stud at safety in college, but the cash was at CB. Never was a good fit for a NFL CB, but still to this day believe he could have made a solid safety.

I never understood that move either, Scot. I think we kept him around for 4-5 seasons before letting him go. Trade was it? Anyways, he was a first round bust.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:46 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I actually did not realize how young Ibgi was. It is hard to dislike his work ethic, but we may get a good look at his instincts in the next four weeks as he will get some game experience in Byron Jones' extended vacation.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
▪ (McDaniel) on cornerback Noah Igbinoghene: “I’ve seen him make huge progressions in his game. You have to remind yourself that you’re talking about a guy younger than some of our draft picks. He’s 22. He knows it’s all about development. He wants there to be no conversation about whether he’s a starter or not. That’s his goal.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:04 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ArtieChokePhin wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Sad day in Davie.

Any idea where he's heading? He's a local kid.

Hopefully house arrest, never to be heard from again…or Haiti.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:19 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

But like, isn't Grier a draft God and don't miss or mess up picks? Like... he's for real the best GM ever.

We just don't use Igby right, that's it.

Him and Austin Jackson are going to be just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:51 pm 
2022 Survivor Champ!
2022 Survivor Champ!

The Don wrote:
But like, isn't Grier a draft God and don't miss or mess up picks? Like... he's for real the best GM ever.

Don't think you've ever heard anyone on this site ever imply anything remotely close to that sentiment. Grier has had his whiffs, for sure. They ALL miss. Look at Beli-Cheat's WR choices over the years. And, let's give credit where it's due; the Waddle - Phillips - Holland picks from last year looks pretty good right now, right?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:41 pm 

The Don wrote:

Who are you referring too that thinks of Grier that way, some imaginary twitter chump?

Do you want Igby and Jackson to fail? I sure hope they don't.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Don wrote:

Lol….you nailed it, because that is how some folks here actually seem to feel about Grier. Yes, GM’s miss at times…but it sure is painful to miss on two 1st round picks in the same draft. Throw in an epic decade plus without being able to field a competent offensive line….and the Minkah debacle…..Charles Harris….Tunsil, who we really needed to anchor the line, but flipped for picks…the 2017 draft class (yuck). Most of all, if Tua does not make the leap forward this year, then you have 3 misses on 3 first round picks in the same draft. 2021 was epic though, so Grier might be learning…but the jury is still out on whether or not the offensive line might still suck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:06 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The Don wrote:

lol ... no, Igby will be cut at some point. This was a "whiff" as the Dolphins are still mesmerized by his athletic ability in practice. I'm crossing my fingers on Ajax, but I don't think it is ever wise to draft a starter in the first round that everyone thinks has "upside". I hope Grier remembers these mistakes in the 2023 draft and doesn't repeat them.

From today's Miami Herald. I think Igby is going to get the hook quick in games as teams are going to zero in on him knowing that he is a weakness in our defense. The late Sporano is knows as "fist pump" and Boyer will be known as "seeing progress".

Asked what gives the organization confidence in Igbinoghene, defensive coordinator Josh Boyer said: “We’ve seen a little bit of progress from a maturity standpoint in the fact he’s been able to handle things differently, let things that don’t quite go his way, he’s able to put them behind him faster.

“He’s improved on technique, working very hard on it. He’s 22 years old. He had baptism by fire early. All those experiences he has shown the humility to understand every experience can be good as long as you learn from it. We’re seeing progress. We’ve excited when he gets his opportunity to see what he can do.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:03 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'd like to see the Dolphins try using Igby the way NO used Chauncey Gardner-Johnson in a "slot-safety" role. Depending on the receiver package, he's covering a slot WR or TE, or he's a 3rd safety, as is used a ton around the league now.

I don't think you give up on someone that athletically gifted, or trade him for pennies. If you can't develop him enough in 4 years to garner a new deal, don't re-sign him.

Hey, it could have been Jeff Okudah. Ouch.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:38 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

No One Ever wrote:

Fixed it for ya.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:18 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
The Don wrote:

lol ... no, Igby will be cut at some point. This was a "whiff" as the Dolphins are still mesmerized by his athletic ability in practice. I'm crossing my fingers on Ajax, but I don't think it is ever wise to draft a starter in the first round that everyone thinks has "upside". I hope Grier remembers these mistakes in the 2023 draft and doesn't repeat them.

From today's Miami Herald. I think Igby is going to get the hook quick in games as teams are going to zero in on him knowing that he is a weakness in our defense. The late Sporano is knows as "fist pump" and Boyer will be known as "seeing progress".

Asked what gives the organization confidence in Igbinoghene, defensive coordinator Josh Boyer said: “We’ve seen a little bit of progress from a maturity standpoint in the fact he’s been able to handle things differently, let things that don’t quite go his way, he’s able to put them behind him faster.

“He’s improved on technique, working very hard on it. He’s 22 years old. He had baptism by fire early. All those experiences he has shown the humility to understand every experience can be good as long as you learn from it. We’re seeing progress. We’ve excited when he gets his opportunity to see what he can do.”

The good news is thanks to Ross, Grier only has one first round pick to use….and it will be SF’s pick (iirc) and that is likely to be very late round.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:51 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Y'all are all over me because I said something about Grier... a slight coment, a shot across the bow. Am I the only one who ever reads these forums and read the tnire threads?

Go back and read the Ross post where I said something about him and Grier should've been gone, and how quickly some people here took to defend Grier's draft history and his status as a 20+ year employee of the Dolphins, so yeah, some people here seem to think he can do no wrong... but heck, maybe I dreamed that up and just make stuff up in my head. That or, y'all can't make your minds up from week-to-week and just spew stuff out whenever you want to. I don't know, either way, it's the same old song and dance.

And AQNOR, no I don't want them to fail, that'd be stupid. I'm just pointing out a flaw in Miami's history / present status, and some folks just don't like that apparently.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:55 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Grier has had his misses over the years for sure, but he has hit more than he's missed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:44 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tenshot13 wrote:
Grier has had his misses over the years for sure, but he has hit more than he's missed.

…and yet the Dolphins have not won a playoff game since the year 2000. I know…he was not the GM all those years….but I believe he has now been the GM for 7 drafts….and the team’s only playoff appearance was a one and done his first year as a GM.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:22 pm 

Phinished wrote:
Tenshot13 wrote:

…and yet the Dolphins have not won a playoff game since the year 2000. I know…he was not the GM all those years….but I believe he has now been the GM for 7 drafts….and the team’s only playoff appearance was a one and done his first year as a GM.

You're right. Grier should have done a better job of coaching and managing talent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:23 pm 

The Don wrote:
Y'all are all over me because I made a straw man argument by paraphrasing something no one ever in the history of the world has ever said.

Fixed it for ya.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Phinished wrote:
Tenshot13 wrote:

You're right. Grier should have done a better job of coaching and managing talent.

Oh please. Many of his failures were just outright draft busts. The 2020 draft was a disaster, especially when you compare Herbert to Tua. To be fair, I liked other qb’s over Herbert….and I said a hard no to drafting Tua after his injury in his final bowl game…but I do not get paid millions to put together a team, but Grier sure as hell does.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:17 pm 
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Phinished wrote:

Oh please. Many of his failures were just outright draft busts.
Yeap, just like ever other GM in the NFL. Pay attention for once.

Phinished wrote:
The 2020 draft was a disaster, especially when you compare Herbert to Tua. To be fair, I liked other qb’s over Herbert…
Hindsight is always 20/20. The difference is honesty. Very few were beating the drums for Herbert. Of course now a high majority were.

Phinished wrote:
.and I said a hard no to drafting Tua after his injury in his final bowl game…but I do not get paid millions to put together a team, but Grier sure as hell does.

Tua's injury did not happen in his final bowl game. It happened in Nov. Long after his final bowl game.

Grier has done a heck of a job. You want to focus on failures. I focus on the hits. Speak to how our outlook on life is. The hits are what count. So he missed on a 1st Rd. DB, but yet signed a UDFA that was worth a high pick.

For you he missed on Idgy. For me, yea he missed on Idgy, but signed Needham and found a stud.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Let’s revisit this after Grier is gone. I was right about Flores.

Dphins4me wrote:
Phinished wrote:

Oh please. Many of his failures were just outright draft busts.
Yeap, just like ever other GM in the NFL. Pay attention for once.

Phinished wrote:
The 2020 draft was a disaster, especially when you compare Herbert to Tua. To be fair, I liked other qb’s over Herbert…
Hindsight is always 20/20. The difference is honesty. Very few were beating the drums for Herbert. Of course now a high majority were.

Phinished wrote:
.and I said a hard no to drafting Tua after his injury in his final bowl game…but I do not get paid millions to put together a team, but Grier sure as hell does.

Tua's injury did not happen in his final bowl game. It happened in Nov. Long after his final bowl game.

Grier has done a heck of a job. You want to focus on failures. I focus on the hits. Speak to how our outlook on life is. The hits are what count. So he missed on a 1st Rd. DB, but yet signed a UDFA that was worth a high pick.

For you he missed on Idgy. For me, yea he missed on Idgy, but signed Needham and found a stud.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:07 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Phinished wrote:

Yep, every expert had Tua rated ahead of Herbert as far as talent. In fact, several said that Tua would have been the #1 overall pick if he didn't have that hip injury. Grier and Miami's scouts wanted to draft him the year before but he stayed in college. They had a whole lot of tape on Herbert.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:25 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The Don wrote:
Y'all are all over me because I said something about Grier... a slight coment, a shot across the bow. Am I the only one who ever reads these forums and read the tnire threads?

I think the fans here think that since he took over as the GM in 2018 (Tannenbaum drafted the 2017 draft), he has made some good draft picks.

2018: S Fitzpatrick, TE Gesicki, LB Baker, TE Smythe, Jason Sanders
2019: DT Wilkins, Edge Van Ginkle, RB Gaskin, (CB Needham, WR Preston Williams)
2020: QB Tua, RG Hunt, DT Raekwan Davis, S Brandon Jones, LS Blake Furguson
2021: WR Waddle, Edge Phillips, S Holland, TE Long

Not to mention that he has AJax (2020) and Eich (2021) starting along the OL this year. I did not list them because their performances have been yawnable to this point, but they are starting at their positions.

I don't see how anyone in their right mind would fire Grier over these drafts.

From this morning's Barry Jackson article. As I have said, it is crazy thought to consider firing Grier when he has been our best GM since Jimmy "Pork Face Satain" Johnson.

The Dolphins’ 2021 draft — headlined by Jaylen Waddle, Jaelan Phillips and Jevon Holland — already has secured a spot on any list of general manager Chris Grier’s greatest hits.

At the very least, Miami has found three skilled long-term players in Waddle (104 catches, 1015 yards as a rookie), Phillips (8.5 sacks) and Holland (Pro Football Focus’ fourth-best safety last season).

But what if Liam Eichenberg and Hunter Long can also become good players? Then you’re talking about a draft for the ages — potentially one of the five best in Dolphins history — and something worthy of headlining Grier’s resume.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:29 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

People are insanely dishonest about Herbert and I agree with the captain hindsight narrative. When Herbert was coming out of college he was not impressive. He was highly inaccurate, tall but skinny and the majority of his stats came from short passes and bubble screens in a spread offense. His pros were having a strong arm and being tall, that's it. NFL Herbert is very very different than college Herbert, and nobody, even his supporters (which there were much less of than Tua supporters), saw him being this good.

Last edited by Tenshot13 on Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
The Don wrote:

I think the fans here think that since he took over as the GM in 2018 (Tannenbaum drafted the 2017 draft), he has made some good draft picks.

2018: S Fitzpatrick, TE Gesicki, LB Baker, TE Smythe, Jason Sanders
2019: DT Wilkins, Edge Van Ginkle, RB Gaskin, (CB Needham, WR Preston Williams)
2020: QB Tua, RG Hunt, DT Raekwan Davis, S Brandon Jones, LS Blake Furguson
2021: WR Waddle, Edge Phillips, S Holland, TE Long

Not to mention that he has AJax (2020) and Eich (2021) starting along the OL this year. I did not list them because their performances have been yawnable to this point, but they are starting at their positions.

I don't see how anyone in their right mind would fire Grier over these drafts.

From this morning's Barry Jackson article. As I have said, it is crazy thought to consider firing Grier when he has been our best GM since Jimmy "Pork Face Satain" Johnson.

The Dolphins’ 2021 draft — headlined by Jaylen Waddle, Jaelan Phillips and Jevon Holland — already has secured a spot on any list of general manager Chris Grier’s greatest hits.

At the very least, Miami has found three skilled long-term players in Waddle (104 catches, 1015 yards as a rookie), Phillips (8.5 sacks) and Holland (Pro Football Focus’ fourth-best safety last season).

But what if Liam Eichenberg and Hunter Long can also become good players? Then you’re talking about a draft for the ages — potentially one of the five best in Dolphins history — and something worthy of headlining Grier’s resume.

Love how you left out those two first round whiffs in 2020 in that honor roll. Minkah does not play for the Phins either….bad pick. You can not waste first round picks. Preston Williams was not drafted. Gaskin would not start, nor make most NFL rosters. The offensive line sucks, despite a butt load of high picks you left out. Hunt? Again…would not start on most NFL rosters. Long was a luxury pick that has not produced. How about all that wheeling and dealing that lowered our draft position or traded away starters and produced poop? 2021 was a solid draft, but 2020 was damn near a disaster. Tua is a starter, but so was Tannehill. Grier and pals missed on Herbert. True, many of us here did not want Herbert….but we are not NFL GM’s. I was a hard no on drafting Tua after his horrific injury in college. So far, the best move I have seen this organization make in recent memory was firing Flores and hiring McDaniel. Does anyone honestly believe the team is a playoff team this year? Will we field even an average offensive line after over a decade of ineptitude? The GM and coach should be hired and fired together….Grier was every bit as responsible for this team’s problems as Flores.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:01 pm 

Yes I think the Phins are a playoff team this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:14 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
Yes I think the Phins are a playoff team this year.

Oh my. I would love for that to be true, especially if the team actually wins a playoff game. I do not see how that happens though. The AFC West, North and South divisions have true competition for the top spot and are more likely to produce the wild card teams. The AFC East features a very dominant Bills team. Even the Cheatriots have fallen. Maybe Miami contends in a year or two. We will learn a lot next week when the team goes on the road to play a Baltimore franchise that has had Miami’s number for about a decade now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:19 pm 

It will take more than the results of one game good or bad for me to come to many firm conclusions.

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next